Thursday, January 10, 2019

In 1958, CBS aired an episode of the series "Trackdown" called "The End of the World," in which a confidence man named Trump attempts to sell a western town a "wall" -- in the form of supposedly mystical parasols -- to protect them from the fake threat of a meteor shower.

Comments

OMFG....! Talk about the past being prologue.

The episode is full of relevant dialogue: "I bet it fits," Gilman says at one point of the name "Trump." Elsewhere, a judge warns the ranger: "I live here, I know these people pretty well, and right now there's nothing in the world that can change their minds [about Trump] -- and anybody who tries to could end up getting hurt. They're not going to listen."

"Well, what if he starts a panic?" Gilman responds. "It could happen."

"Well sure, but you might as well try to spit out a forest fire," the judge says, adding: "It's funny how a big lie can make us all kids again."

Later, after the narrator refers to Trump as "the high priest of fraud," the conman delivers some hauntingly prescient dialogue in a speech to the town.

"I am the only one! Just me! I can build a wall around your homes that nothing will penetrate," Trump says.

"What do we do?" a someone asks. "How do we save ourselves?"

"You ask: How do you build that wall?" Trump responds. "You ask, and I'm here to tell you."

Gilman eventually interrupts: "You're a liar, Trump!" Finally, as the scheme unfolds, fateful words from the ranger: "You're under arrest, Trump."

And the happy ending:
Eventually -- despite Trump's threat of a lawsuit -- the show's protagonist, Texas Ranger Hoby Gilman, reveals that Trump is a fraud who's in cahoots with the town's sheriff, and midnight passes without any meteor-related deaths. Trump ends up dead, shot by the sheriff in an attempt to cover up the scheme.
It's a wonder the sheriff's name wasn't Bobby Mueller....I guess they CAN write this ish in Hollywood after all. Go figure.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2019-01-10 01:05 PM | Reply

It's a wonder the sheriff's name wasn't Bobby Mueller....

Whoops! I guess the sheriff should have been named Matt Whitaker, especially after his Emmy winning slurpfest performance in the last cabinet meeting. The Ranger should have been named Robert Mueller, lol.

#2 | Posted by tonyroma at 2019-01-10 10:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Another indication that it's getting increasingly difficult to produce fantasy that isn't already a reality in today's world.

#3 | Posted by TrueBlue at 2019-01-11 12:49 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#2 Clearly Putin is the Sheriff.

#4 | Posted by bored at 2019-01-11 01:12 AM | Reply

Look at another eerie coincidence, the resemblance between the actor playing Trump in the episode and Donald Trump's actual father Fred: Did Rod Serling produce this under a nom de plume?

#5 | Posted by tonyroma at 2019-01-11 07:20 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Why don't we just use thoughts and prayers to protect the border?

They're what we use to protect our schools.

#6 | Posted by qcp at 2019-01-11 09:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

why isn't the video working???? I wanna see!.....I wanna see!

#7 | Posted by saginawmi at 2019-01-11 09:55 AM | Reply

Video works for me. Very fitting. Eerie indeed!

#8 | Posted by cbob at 2019-01-11 10:24 AM | Reply

I thought this was too incredible to believe last night. An acquaintance suggested to me that they think the audio is dubbed over. That could explain it. The bit about the wall is where I stopped believing this could possibly be real, although the causal creator could just have a great sense of humor.

Could even be a well done deep fake.

#9 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-01-11 10:50 AM | Reply

Why don't we just use thoughts and prayers to protect the border?
#6 | POSTED BY QCP

Thoughts and Prayers in Gotham

#10 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-01-11 10:52 AM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY TONYROMA

I thought about that too; and his speech is similar to putin's trump's style as well.

#11 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-01-11 10:53 AM | Reply

Truth is indeed Stranger than fiction.

And speaking of clichés...

I am also pretty sure we can't handle the Trurh.

#12 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-01-11 11:01 AM | Reply

Wait--I missed the part about the conman's hot wife, idiot sons and mouth-breathing sycophants...

#13 | Posted by catdog at 2019-01-11 01:00 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#13 | Posted by catdog

That was only a clip. A teaser.

You have to watch the whole movie for that juicy stuff.

#14 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-01-11 01:57 PM | Reply

Amazing really. I don't really believe in coincidence but can you write a better story 60 years ago for today?

#15 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-01-11 01:57 PM | Reply

The video is not coming up in mozilla. But, I see it fine on my iPhone.

RCADE!!!

Did you forget to feed the hamsters?

They are not government issue hamsters are they?

#16 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-01-11 01:59 PM | Reply

The video is not coming up in mozilla.
#16 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY

And that's why no one uses firefox.

#17 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-01-11 02:31 PM | Reply

Here's the link to see the entire episode. And no, it was not re-dubbed, it's legit.

2 legit to quit.... 😎

#18 | Posted by tonyroma at 2019-01-11 04:05 PM | Reply

And that's why no one uses firefox.

#17 | Posted by IndianaJones

I think maybe it has to do with whether you have a twitter account or not. I have twitter on my iPhone and it pops up fine. In twitter.

#19 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-01-11 06:17 PM | Reply

And no, it was not re-dubbed, it's legit.

2 legit to quit.... 😎

#18 | Posted by tonyroma

It's too good!!! Because of that I am suspicious!! It seems too real. Too close to the bone!

How do I know anymore??

Makes me think of the hunger games....The "Real or Not Real" Mockingjay scene with Katnis and Peeta.

Real or Not Real?

#20 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-01-11 06:21 PM | Reply

Real or Not Real?

This isn't a new revelation. Snopes already researched it a couple years ago when it first gained a touch of noteriety. Almost everything of note is known about everyone involved with it's production. Josh Marshall has a great story about just this: talkingpointsmemo.com

#21 | Posted by tonyroma at 2019-01-11 07:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

1958 TV Show Had Conman 'Trump' Selling Wall to Townspeople

Just more evidence we live in the Matrix; an artificial reality. It reminds me of a sci-fi novel I read in the '60s where humans existed in a computer program the purpose of which was to test various political theories. Eventually some human discovered the truth and the programmers tried to eliminate him.

I have forgotten the name of the novel but the thesis of the book seems to have been repeated many times over the years e.g. Star Trek Next Generation; Matrix.

#22 | Posted by FedUpWithPols at 2019-01-12 04:34 AM | Reply

So what? If there were a 1920s novel about a fat piece of ---- that raped women named Clinton, Republicans would dehydrate themselves from jerking off. But it doesn't change anything.

#23 | Posted by TylerDurden at 2019-01-12 09:24 AM | Reply