Tuesday, January 08, 2019

A rare 1943 copper Lincoln cent -- found by a Massachusetts teenager in his change after he paid for lunch at a school cafeteria -- is expected to fetch up to $1.7 million when it is auctioned off.

Comments

That's amazing. This kid struck gold with a bit of copper. I hope he finds a way to do as much good as he can with whatever money comes his way.

#1 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-01-08 11:19 PM | Reply

Last Sunday I went through an old wooden box that I brought home after my dad passed away and I found some old pennies that im guessing are made of zinc. They're silver in color. I forget the dates but they're wheat back pennies. Maybe WWII era?

#2 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-01-09 06:59 AM | Reply

RE: #2 | POSTED BY LFTHNDTHRDS AT 2019-01-09 06:59 AM

Most likely they are zinc-plated steel pennies, which were only minted in 1943.

#3 | Posted by TrueBlue at 2019-01-09 07:05 AM | Reply

"This kid struck gold with a bit of copper."

LOL!

"This kid" found the penny in 1947 and is currently dead.

#4 | Posted by Angrydad at 2019-01-09 07:48 AM | Reply

Most likely they are zinc-plated steel pennies, which were only minted in 1943.

#3 | Posted by TrueBlue at 2019-01-09 07:05 AMFlag: (Choose)FunnyNewsworthyOffensiveAbusive

Do you know if any of them are worth more than a penny?

#5 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-01-09 08:14 AM | Reply

Nevermind.

How much is a zinc 1943 penny worth?

Value of a 1943 Steel Penny. They are worth about 10 to 13 cents each in circulated condition, and as much as 50 cents or more if uncirculated.

#6 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-01-09 08:19 AM | Reply

Maybe he'll turn that $1.7 mill (minus taxes, eventually) into a billion dollar money laundering empire, beholden to Russian mobsters and oligarchs, eventually becoming POTUS. Seems to work for some people...

#7 | Posted by chuffy at 2019-01-09 09:14 AM | Reply

Ocasional Cortex and Pelosi Galore, "We'll take our 70%".

#8 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-01-09 10:36 AM | Reply

"Ocasional Cortex and Pelosi Galore, "We'll take our 70%"."

So the poor kid would only get .51 million dollars. Poor baby.

#9 | Posted by danni at 2019-01-09 11:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#4 | POSTED BY ANGRYDAD

Oopsm I skimmed the article and didn't catch that. I thought he got it in his lunch money this year; which would have made it so much more incredible.

#10 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-01-09 12:52 PM | Reply

Amazing the kid paid for his own lunch with cash. In our high school we had to purchase lunch cards and buy our meals with them. You did not want to carry cash at my high school.

#11 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-01-09 01:10 PM | Reply

#2 | Posted by lfthndthrds

obviously junk... worthless junk.... just send them all to me with all your old wheat backs and I will dispose of them Prosperously, err, Properly at no charge.

#12 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-01-09 01:59 PM | Reply

If memory serves wheat pennies are from the WWI era.

#13 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-09 02:04 PM | Reply

Ocasional Cortex and Pelosi Galore, "We'll take our 70%".

#8 | POSTED BY VISITOR_ AT 2019-01-09 10:36 AM | REPLY | FLAG:

Yeah....no. By holding it until death, the penny became an asset of his estate. Anyone that inherited it did so at fair market value at date of death and most, if not all of the gain will not be taxed.

So long as the entire estate was not more than $5.49 million none of it will be taxed.

#14 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-01-09 03:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"By holding it until death, the penny became an asset of his estate. Anyone that inherited it did so at fair market value at date of death'

Nixon speaks the truth.

...

Growing up during Watergate, I never thought I'd type those words.

#15 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-01-09 03:25 PM | Reply

Now I feel better.

#16 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-01-09 04:24 PM | Reply

And if you work hard, maybe someday you can find a lucky penny too!

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-01-09 06:16 PM | Reply