Wednesday, January 09, 2019

A Texas woman is speaking out after she said her teenage sons and nephews, who are black, were racially profiled by a Kroger store manager who called the police on them, reasoning "they looked like they could be shoplifters," she said. The woman, Ukiah Swain, said four of her family members -- ages 15, 16, 19 and 20 -- went to the store in Mesquite to buy snacks Thursday night when, after purchasing their items, they were stopped and accused of theft.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

A Mesquite television station also did a story on this incident. Kroger's publicTwitter Account or the Kroger's online newsroom had not yet responded to the situation as of 2 p.m. January 1. But according to HuffPo: "Spokespeople for Kroger's Dallas division, in a statement obtained by HuffPost, said the employees involved have been removed from the store as an investigation into the matter takes place and that representatives have reached out to Ukiah Swain to apologize. The statement added that a sensitivity training planned for the division's stores has been moved up and the company reached out to the police department to rescind any related complaint that was filed."

Comments

The land of the free and the home of the brave, right?

#1 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2019-01-09 09:16 AM | Reply

Is that anything like shooting a little girl while black?

#2 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-01-09 12:17 PM | Reply

"Is that anything like shooting a little girl while black?"

Really, what kind of an a*****e says something like that? Sniper is the most disgusting human being who posts here and I would not miss him if he left. What a total jerk.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2019-01-09 12:24 PM | Reply

I will now not ever see his posts again. Thanks for plonks RCADE!

#4 | Posted by danni at 2019-01-09 12:25 PM | Reply

Is that anything like shooting a little girl while black?

#2 | Posted by Sniper

I know huh? You and I both know she was probably acting all "black" and stuff, she deserved it, too.

Wink! Wink! Nudge! Nudge! Say no more...say no more!

eh?

Seriously Sniper, please...say no more!

#5 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-01-09 02:39 PM | Reply

Is that anything like shooting a little girl while black?

#2 | Posted by Sniper

It's kind of the same in that you approve of both.

#6 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-01-09 02:49 PM | Reply

Why didnt they just show their receipt? That would prove if they shoplifted or not.

Why are we even hearing of this? If they didnt have items they werent supposed to, they would show up on the receipt.

I've had stores ask me to see my receipt before. I showed it, and moved on.

#7 | Posted by boaz at 2019-01-09 03:22 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Except at BJs wholesale where they check everyone's receipt, no one has ever asked to see a receipt of mine while shopping. Its good to be white.

#8 | Posted by truthhurts at 2019-01-09 03:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Last week as I was walking out of Meijer I was asked to show my receipt.

#9 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-09 03:39 PM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY BOAZ

FTA: "The four of them produced receipts for their purchases"

"I looked at the manager and I asked him what we did and he was like, ‘We've had problems with people like you before.'"

#10 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2019-01-09 03:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I get my receipt checked leaving Wallyworld, It wasn't because I was white, it is because some bypass the self checkout with high value items like steak. I know it is unpleasant, but from what I have seen in the law, a custodian of a business can challenge some one for their receipt and take a look at what is in the bags. He doesn't have to have evidence to do so. You sort of gave up that right when you voluntarily came on the property. I ger my receipt checked every time I leave Sam's. Think of it this way, it will employ people and lower the overhead of the store, maybe drop the price somewhat.

#11 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-01-09 03:49 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Krogers? There are many in black and Hispanic areas, I seriously doubt that Kroger's doesn't want all the business they can get. They are in competition with Walmart. Smells like another clock-boy.

#12 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-01-09 03:55 PM | Reply

Its good to be white. POSTED BY TRUTHHURTS

TIL that not everyone gets receipt checked when buying st wholesale stores. Must be nice to be an old white male. Check your privilege, dude.

#13 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-01-09 04:14 PM | Reply

‘We've had problems with people like you before.'"

#10 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar

Well, there you go.

Acting TOO black!!!

Outrageous I say.

THEY are always acting Black! Who do they think they are?

Where do they think they are?

#14 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-01-09 04:30 PM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY Comrade DOCNJO
Smells like you're a racist alt-right troglodyte.

#15 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-01-09 05:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I've had stores ask me to see my receipt before. I showed it, and moved on.
#7 | POSTED BY BOAZ"

I haven't. Of course, I'm white.

#16 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2019-01-09 06:53 PM | Reply

Papers please. Papers please. PAPERS PLEASE.

#17 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2019-01-09 06:59 PM | Reply

"they looked like they could be shoplifters,"

I'd be shocked if Kroger policy is to call the police on suspected shoplifters.

(Now if Kroger has already trespassed them for shoplifting, that's a different story. But that's not what happened here.)

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-01-09 07:39 PM | Reply

RE: #17 | POSTED BY DIRKSTRUAN AT 2019-01-09 06:59 PM

Papiere, bitte.

#19 | Posted by TrueBlue at 2019-01-10 04:11 AM | Reply

#20 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2019-01-10 04:23 AM | Reply

Smells like another clock-boy.

#12 | POSTED BY DOCNJO AT 2019-01-09 03:55 PM | REPLY

You would know.

#21 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-01-10 07:35 AM | Reply

"I will now not ever see his posts again. Thanks for plonks RCADE!"

More than a few of us figured that out a long time ago.

#22 | Posted by Angrydad at 2019-01-10 07:45 AM | Reply

"I've had stores ask me to see my receipt before. I showed it, and moved on."

Dollars to doughnuts says this has NEVER happened at a grocery store.

Are you really too stupid/oblivious too understand the issue?

All sings point to "yes".

#23 | Posted by Angrydad at 2019-01-10 07:50 AM | Reply

Looks like a clock boy stunt to me. Hell, a small crowd of juveniles of any race walk together through a grocery store, expect one of them to bail with a case of beer. The store was within their rights and the rights of these individuals was not violated. Maybe if black young men didn't commit a vastly greater amount of crime most of us would not be suspicious. I remember a local convenience store in Ohio, black owner, black neighborhood. The owner would allow only two teens in at a time. Not because he hated teens, it was to survive as a business. There is a reason investors do not want to build a store in those areas. Don't want to open there at all. Money making operations stay open, stores that loose money are closed. As grocery stores run at a 2 or 3% margin, it doesn't take much theft to close the doors. Go to any black neighborhood, the supermarkets are vacant.

#24 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-01-10 08:51 AM | Reply

#10 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar

That wording is a problem. Now that's racism.

Dollars to doughnuts says this has NEVER happened at a grocery store.

Are you really too stupid/oblivious too understand the issue?

Nope, but you obviously are. What you are not seeing is, these businesses probably have more shoplifting cases that you didnt see. And in probably 85% of the time, the perp is black or looks a certain way. Why you would ignore this I dont understand.

If your boss says, "Look out for Rabbits". You know what a rabbit looks like and you now the senario. A rabbit walks in, you are supposed to say, "Well, maybe that's NOT a rabbit", I'll let it go. So the rabbit walks out with steaks stuffed down their fur. They know what a shoplifter looks like, but because of liberal racial sensitivity, they end up losing inventory and merchandise.

cant you see how that might be detrimental to the business?

#25 | Posted by boaz at 2019-01-10 08:51 AM | Reply

"I don't shop at stores that make you show your receipt on the way out. I don't need to be treated like a criminal to protect their bottom line."

While I do agree, sometimes I am forced to shop at Home Depot though I hate it when I am. I hate that store but they usually do have things I need.

#26 | Posted by danni at 2019-01-10 08:52 AM | Reply

"If your boss says, "Look out for Rabbits". You know what a rabbit looks like and you now the senario. A rabbit walks in, you are supposed to say, "Well, maybe that's NOT a rabbit", I'll let it go."

#27 | Posted by danni at 2019-01-10 08:53 AM | Reply

Papers please. Papers please. PAPERS PLEASE. - #17 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2019-01-09 06:59 PM

Some idiots think Krogers is the government. Go figure.

#28 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-01-10 09:41 AM | Reply

So, you're saying that employees at a store should be suspicious of every black person entering the store? That is exactly what it sounds like you are saying. Please clarify. - #27 | Posted by Danni at 2019-01-10 08:53 AM

#29 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-01-10 09:44 AM | Reply

"You're the one showing your racial bias here. I assumed that he meant groups of teen boys in baggy clothing.
#29 | POSTED BY AVIGDORE AT 2019-01-10 09:44 AM"

There's nothing in the article about "teen boys in baggy clothing".

Why did you assume such, especially since the only picture shows nothing like that?

#30 | Posted by TrueBlue at 2019-01-11 12:38 AM | Reply