Monday, January 07, 2019

Greg Sargent: President Trump would almost certainly not be able to continue shutting down the government over his megalomaniacal border wall obsession if it weren't for Mitch McConnell. The Senate majority leader is refusing a Senate vote on the bills that House Democrats have passed funding the government -- shielding Trump from possibly having to veto a bipartisan measure reopening it, which would be politically disastrous for him. Now one Democrat is pushing a plan to force McConnell's hand. It's a good one.

Comments

Sen. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.) tweeted over the weekend that Senate Democrats should block any and all measures in the Senate that are unrelated to funding the government until the Senate votes on reopening it. Since then, several progressive groups and a handful of Democratic senators have endorsed the strategy.

To do this, Van Hollen noted, Democrats should vote against proceeding to debate on any measures unrelated to funding the government, and they should coalesce behind the idea as a caucus-wide strategy.

"We should insist that our focus be on reopening the government," Van Hollen said.

Thus far, Sens. Ben Cardin (D-Md.), Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), and Cory Booker (D-N.J.) have publicly backed the strategy, and so have Indivisible and MoveOn." excerpts

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2019-01-07 03:30 PM | Reply

Make it so Number One! (errrr, Number Three!)

#2 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-01-07 07:22 PM | Reply

Delta, United Airlines Pilots Tell Trump His Shutdown Is Endangering Air Travel

mavenroundtable.io

#3 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-07 08:58 PM | Reply

Delta, United Airlines Pilots Tell Trump His Shutdown Is Endangering Air Travel

mavenroundtable.io

#3 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday

So what? Reinforcing paranoid fantasies of MAGA hat morons is more important than protecting american lives.

#4 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-01-07 09:03 PM | Reply

Tell delta and pan am to provide their own security for the overcrowded tin can winged buses.

Freeloaders

#5 | Posted by mutant at 2019-01-07 09:49 PM | Reply

Freeloaders
#5 | Posted by mutant

Pan Am?? How old are you? like 100?

#6 | Posted by truthhurts at 2019-01-07 09:58 PM | Reply | Funny: 8

I hope it works. McConnell is worse than Trump, which is saying a lot.

#7 | Posted by bayviking at 2019-01-07 10:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Braniff and TWA pilots support the shutdown.

#8 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-01-08 08:31 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"AIRLINE PILOT ASSOCIATION TELLS DONALD TRUMP THE GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN IS PUTTING SAFETY AT RISK"

www.newsweek.com

#9 | Posted by danni at 2019-01-08 09:15 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The best indication that we have lost all ability to have good leaders who are doing what is best for the country. Notice how every strategy in the 21st century to get something done requires blocking the other side from doing something. You don't see one word that even hints at compromise. Reps did this to an absurd degree during Obama and Dems are following suit. It's the new normal and ensures this country will suffer every year. Until we get leaders who can compromise, we will not be able to have Hope for Change that we can Make America Great Again.

#10 | Posted by humtake at 2019-01-08 11:40 AM | Reply

And we can't hope we will ever have leaders that can compromise when we have so many people who spread partisan hate by blaming all of our problems on one side of the aisle.

#11 | Posted by humtake at 2019-01-08 11:40 AM | Reply

If I paid 1 dollar for Newsweek, I'd want change back.

#12 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-01-08 12:36 PM | Reply

I think that it is a great idea! It's also good that he didn't look to build a consensus by discussing it behind closed doors with the democratic caucus. By being out in the open, supporters can put pressure on senators to get off the fence and get engaged.

All hands on deck!

#13 | Posted by FedUpWithPols at 2019-01-08 01:38 PM | Reply

DC Police Responding To Reports Of Irate Old Man Holding 328,000,000 People Hostage For Money

#14 | Posted by Hans at 2019-01-08 01:39 PM | Reply

Braniff and TWA pilots support the shutdown.

#8 | Posted by visitor_

You know that was amazing! You got me!!

And I didn't even notice it at first.

I think that is probably one of the funniest things you have ever said.

It is funny because somewhere someone probably actually said that AND believed it.

THAT is where we are right now.

#15 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-01-08 02:31 PM | Reply

If I paid 1 dollar for Newsweek, I'd want change back.

#12 | Posted by visitor_

If you paid a dollar you are probably a Republican.

Newsweek is free online. It didn't cost me a dime. But, then again I am a democrat and apparently delusional about these sorts of things.

It is possible it didn't happen at all! Is it getting dark in here or is it me. The lights keep going dim. But, just out of the corner of my eye. When I look everything is fine! It's weird. Trump said it was me. He says I am crazy to try and believe what I believe. He is a billionaire so he has to be right!! So I am probably just losing it. I am a Democrat and I obviously don't know what I am doing. Turns out I never have. I apparently signed up for the wrong "team".

So, anyway, YOU might want to verify the link yourself.

www.newsweek.com

#16 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-01-08 03:16 PM | Reply

Did you know that the Newsweek went bust and was purchased for a dollar in 2010?

#17 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-01-08 04:33 PM | Reply