Monday, January 07, 2019

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is missing arguments for the first time in more than 25 years as she recuperates from cancer surgery last month, the Supreme Court said. Ginsburg was not on the bench as the court met Monday to hear arguments. It was not clear when she would return to the court, which will hear more cases on Tuesday and Wednesday, and again next week.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

On the day she had surgery, Trump tweeted his wishes for Ginsburg's "full and speedy recovery!"

I echo the president's well-wishes.

Comments

Let us look at this objectively. This is an octogenarian that just had surgery for lung cancer. I watch my mom die that way and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But the chances of her surviving the Trump administration is extremely doubtful. Also you don't need reminding that the Republicans control the Senate, who have soul authority for the approval of his nominees. The Democrats shot their rod on the Kavanaugh nomination and will not likely try that again. It seemed to cost them the senate.

#1 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-01-07 12:20 PM | Reply

"It seemed to cost them the senate." - #1 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-01-07 12:20 PM

It was the most favorable elect/reelect map for the GOP in a generation.

Son, you would do yourself a favor by living in reality for a change instead of just making things up as you go along.

#2 | Posted by Hans at 2019-01-07 12:34 PM | Reply

It was the most favorable elect/reelect map for the GOP in a generation...

#2 | POSTED BY HANS

The numbers were awfully lopsided. I think it was 10 Senate Republicans up for re-election and 26 Democrats up for re-election.

#3 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-07 12:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Trump tweeted his wishes for Ginsburg's "full and speedy recovery!"

I echo the president's well-wishes."

Trump is a hateful idiot. That statement is just dripping with irony. And in fact, we know it means exactly the opposite of what it says.

I wouldn't echo a Gawd damn thing this man has ever said except in irony or to teach others what NOT to say or do.

Even if it by some miracle chance probability it turned out later to be correct. Doesn't matter. Just like a broken can be correct twice a day.

However, I do send my own positive energies to this remarkable woman who has stood against hate and repression and inequality from the moment she learned how. We need her more than ever to stand against the hate and fear and the stink of Lies coming from this White House.

I also know it is not enough. we cannot put all our hopes in this one woman.

We are gonna need hundreds or even thousands of her.

AND I THANK EVERYONE OF US WHO HAVE HEARD AND RESPONDED TO THE CALL.

I am sure Ginsberg would just love to retire.

But, she can't.

If you TRULY wished her to be WELL you would be trying to make it so she could.

#4 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-01-07 12:51 PM | Reply

I am sure Ginsberg would just love to retire.

#4 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY

Nope.

If her husband were still alive, I have no doubt she would have retired in '14 with Obama naming her replacement.

This is now what she loves most in her life. She will likely be on the bench until she passes.

#5 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-07 01:00 PM | Reply

#5 | Posted by JeffJ

Oh I am sure she "loves" it.

She would have to! And I selfishly hope she stays put until she dies too!

But, it's no longer good for her health.

And I say... "It's not good for her health."

Or is it? You could be right.

It is quite possibly the only thing keeping her alive, too.

so I guess in the end... who are you and I to say what is good for anyone? WE don't even know what is good for ourselves most of the time. (so in my "round about way" I agree with you.. but I will never admit it of course!)

#6 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-01-07 01:21 PM | Reply

It sounds like the cancer was discovered as a result of x-raying her broken ribs from her fall. Falling down and breaking her ribs may have very well prolonged her life. Kind of ironic.

#7 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-07 03:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You liberals only want her alive for selfish partisan reasons. She should have retired when Obama first came into office.

#8 | Posted by boaz at 2019-01-07 03:52 PM | Reply

Dick Cheney should take RBG hunting and after that drinking and rock climbing with Kavenaugh

#9 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-01-07 04:39 PM | Reply

I've said it before and I'll say it again here:
Ginsburg will not stay on the Supreme Court until 2020.

#10 | Posted by drivelikejehu at 2019-01-07 09:38 PM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY DRIVELIKEJEHU

Thank god the founding fathers remembered to put in place a mechanism that will allow us to remove trump's 3 illegitimate appointments when that time comes.

#11 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-01-07 09:47 PM | Reply

You liberals only want her alive for selfish partisan reasons She should have retired when Obama first came into office.

#8 | POSTED BY BOAZ

You only think that because what you call "republicanism" sane people call evil.

#12 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-01-07 09:48 PM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2019-01-07 03:37 PM | REPLY | FLAG

Something to be grateful for.
Check out Corrie Ten Boom's stories on fleas in the concentration camp and being grateful.

#13 | Posted by drivelikejehu at 2019-01-07 09:53 PM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY INDIANAJONES AT 2019-01-07 09:47 PM | FLAG:

Have you called the
Whaaaaaaaabulence yet?

Your partisanship is ruining our country.

#14 | Posted by drivelikejehu at 2019-01-07 09:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

She was one of Obama's shovel ready projects that should have been completed. Her ego is too large.

#15 | Posted by nobiasposter101 at 2019-01-07 09:59 PM | Reply

Have you called the
Whaaaaaaaabulence yet?
#14 | POSTED BY DRIVELIKEJEHU

Christ, sure I'll call it for you but god damn do you welfare queen conservatives need everything done for you. I'd have figured you'd have them on speed dial. Nothing but salty tears since 08.

#16 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-01-07 10:54 PM | Reply

DRIVELIKEJEHU, is this you, salty boi?

#17 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-01-07 10:56 PM | Reply

It is quite possibly the only thing keeping her alive, too.

#6 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY

Well said.

#18 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-01-08 09:20 AM | Reply

Her courage in her painful life threatening illness should inspire every liberal to hang in there and combat the forces of EVIL as long and as strongly as we can. We are the resistance and they are the enemy trying to take away freedom and our way of life. Thank you Justice Ginsberg!

#19 | Posted by danni at 2019-01-08 09:34 AM | Reply | Funny: 3

looks like Trump gets to appoint another member to the SC.

#20 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-01-08 10:57 AM | Reply

#20 Another very temporary appointment.

#21 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-01-08 11:14 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#11 | POSTED BY INDIANAJONES

Political reality: It's not going to happen.

#22 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-08 11:22 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

You liberals only want her alive for selfish partisan reasons.
#8 | POSTED BY BOAZ

And just like that, Boaz wishes death on Ruth Bader Ginsburg... for purely selfish, partisan reasons.

#23 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-01-08 11:44 AM | Reply

"They" arent an enemy, they are Americans trying to save their way of life. If you stop trying to "change" everything, to the detriment of others, maybe our world could be less partisan.

Your mindset, Danni, is what's making this political environment like it is.

#24 | Posted by boaz at 2019-01-08 11:56 AM | Reply

And just like that, Boaz wishes death on Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Stop inferring on me. I never wished her dead. You only want her alive because she is on the court in your favor. The lady needs to retire. She needs to rest. But ideologues like you wont let her.

#25 | Posted by boaz at 2019-01-08 11:58 AM | Reply

Read your words stupid.

You liberals only want her alive for selfish partisan reasons.

Not, liberals only want her on the Supreme Court.

You chose the word "alive".

The antithesis being, dead.

Which, is clearly what you prefer.

I'm sure you've fantasized about killing her with your own hands.

#26 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-01-08 12:36 PM | Reply

#22 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

You're hilarious. You nutcases impeached a grown man for legal oral intercourse.

We'll absolutely remove the two cancers illegally placed on the court and your tears for neil gorsuch will be hilarious, jeff.

#27 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-01-08 01:16 PM | Reply

#27 | POSTED BY INDIANAJONES

You are free to continue on with your delusional wet-dream. It's not going to happen and that is political reality.

#28 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-08 01:19 PM | Reply

#27 | Posted by IndianaJones

And all the time I thought it was for lying to the grand jury.

Speaking of conduct unbecoming a president of the USA, Where was mittens then?

#29 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-01-08 01:22 PM | Reply

And all the time I thought it was for lying to the grand jury.
#29 | POSTED BY SNIPER

That's because you're the kind of "feelings over facts" individual Newt Gingrich is so proud about exploiting.

#30 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-01-08 01:30 PM | Reply

"And all the time I thought it was for lying to the grand jury."

"Our impeachment of President Clinton was another example of placing the wrong political emphasis on personal matters. We impeached Clinton for lying to the government. To our surprise the electorate gave us cold comfort. Lying to the government: It's called April 15th. And we accused Clinton of lying about sex, which all men spend their lives doing, starting at 15 bragging about things we haven't done yet, then on to fibbing about things we are doing, and winding up with prevarications about things we no longer can do." - P.J. O'Rourke

#31 | Posted by Hans at 2019-01-08 01:34 PM | Reply

I hope you get therapy, indianajones.
Or a friend.
Or a pastor.
Someone who can help you.

Maybe an exorcist.

#32 | Posted by drivelikejehu at 2019-01-08 09:29 PM | Reply

"You clearly want her dead. That's twice now you've implied liberals want her alive."

Logic is clearly not your strong suit, Clownsnack. It's entirely reasonable that Boaz wants her alive for selfish non-partisan reasons. Like her feet.

"I'm sure you've fantasized about killing her with your own hands."

Another logic fail. His hands are busy... .
typing on the Retort!

#33 | Posted by sentinel at 2019-01-08 10:43 PM | Reply

#32 | POSTED BY DRIVELIKEJEHU

Unfortunately I doubt an exorcism would stop you demon worshippers from spewing your bilious hate and stupidity all over this beautiful yellow forum.

#34 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-01-08 10:50 PM | Reply

It's not going to happen and that is political reality.

#28 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

Jeffj do you have this ---- tattooed on your back?

#35 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-01-08 10:54 PM | Reply

#35. Dr Jones,

Nah! I've got that tattooed to my ankle. I've got a real inbred confederate quote tattooed on my back.

As for # 34. Serious question: have you ever watched The Excorcist?

#36 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-08 11:02 PM | Reply

You liberals only want her alive for selfish partisan reasons.

You only want her alive because she is on the court in your favor.

I'd prefer RBG had the opportunity to retire and enjoy the remainder of her life.

I'm glad she's alive.

Sorry you don't feel that way Boaz.

#37 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-01-08 11:25 PM | Reply

#36 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

Not since I was a kid, but IIRC the girl bore a resemblance to Steve Bannon.

#38 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-01-08 11:31 PM | Reply

#34 | POSTED BY INDIANAJONES

The demons leave in Jesus' name, my poor tormented fellow blogger.

Consider that when you finally want help.

It's sad Antichrist Supremo Ginsberg draws out her kindred spirits.

#39 | Posted by drivelikejehu at 2019-01-09 12:25 AM | Reply

You should watch it as an adult. It's not a hack/slash like so many horror flicks. It's a pretty serious movie and it's held up very well.

#40 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-09 06:50 AM | Reply

#40 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

I'll have to give it another try.

The demons leave in Jesus' name, my poor tormented fellow blogger.
Consider that when you finally want help.
#39 | POSTED BY DRIVELIKEJEHU

I see. Then in Jesus's name I pray; O Savior! The one begotten Son of God, his Holiness, forgiver of sins; the infant King from Bethlehem; Please bless the Drudge Retort, its good users, and purge this liberal site of the grotesque hatred and willful ignorance of DRIVELIKEJEHU and his fellow satanists.

If that doesn't work I can always try a good old fashioned RCade Exorcism; a plonk.

#41 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-01-09 01:31 PM | Reply