Wednesday, January 02, 2019

Jeff Weaver, Mr. Sanders's 2016 campaign manager and currently a top adviser, said in an email that "anybody who committed harassment on the campaign would not be asked back" and expressed regret for some of the operation's shortcomings. "Was it too male? Yes. Was it too white? Yes," he said. "Would this be a priority to remedy on any future campaign? Definitely, and we share deeply in the urgency for all of us to make change. In 2016, as the size of our campaign exploded, we made efforts to make it a positive experience for people. That there was a failure pains me very much."

Comments

This is a more in-depth report, with specific allegations from named sources, that some of you have pointed out were missing from earlier reports.

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-02 05:53 PM | Reply

My response to this article is pretty much the same as my response to the Politico article; this is what should be emphasized:

"Friends of Bernie Sanders, the senator's campaign committee, said in a response to questions from The Times that there were a number of actions taken during the 2016 campaign regarding harassment and sexism, including employee counseling and a campaign-wide review to standardize pay, and that there was a set of procedures and guidelines for workplace conduct that staff members were required to read. It also said it had developed a new harassment policy for Mr. Sanders's Senate campaign last year."

#2 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-02 06:30 PM | Reply

I remember the sexism of 2016 regarding Bernie's race. Where leaders of the DNC robbed Americans of democratic choice because it was time for a woman in the Oval Office. I guess some people think women can't win based on the merit of their ideals. I say let Warren or Duckworth prove those sexists wrong.

#3 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-01-02 06:35 PM | Reply

Wrong answer #3. Please stop it. Think about how f'd up you are.

#4 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-01-02 11:47 PM | Reply

Josh Marshall @joshtpm

Sanders whole response to Anderson Cooper re NYT article and staff harassment and pay disparity allegations

twitter.com

#5 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-03 12:47 AM | Reply

Has Sanders sexually harassed anyone?

Has Sanders physically harassed anyone?

Has Sanders done anything which requires his name be in the headline to any of these articles?

If the answer to these questions is "No". (Which the answers to all these questions is NO.)

Then this is all slander.

Slander is all the DNC has.

But all they are doing is alienating potential voters who still like Sanders.

So. Keep up the good work.

Can't wait to vote 3rd party.

#6 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-01-03 01:17 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

From the NYT's article:

"Masha Mendieta, who was also on the Latino outreach team and who was with Ms. Di Lauro when she spoke with Mr. Velazquez about the incident, confirmed his comments."

Here's part of the background story as told by Mendieta. I'm not sure how to link to the article, so you'll have to google it using this info:

Be Your Own Hero  --  Because Bernie Is Not It
Dec 9, 2018

PS Mendieta's article is long, and I haven't read it yet.

#7 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-03 01:23 AM | Reply

From the NYT's article:

Be Your Own Hero  --  Because Bernie Is Not It
Dec 9, 2018

PS Mendieta's article is long, and I haven't read it yet.

#8 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-03 01:24 AM | Reply

Sorry for the double post. Here's a better way to get to Mendieta's account:

Revolusha @revolusha

Here is the rest of the story about sexism on the Bernie 2016 campaign you didn't hear the first time around. Retaliation. Blacklisting. Enablers. Toxic men failing upward: Be Your Own Hero  --  Because Bernie Is Not It

twitter.com

Again, I haven't read the article. Posting it, however, so people can read and judge for themselves.

#9 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-03 01:29 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Slander is all the DNC has."

CS, I don't know if Mendieta's story is accurate, but I honestly don't think this is coming out of the DNC:

"For those of you who (rightly) feel heartsick over this and will initially be defensive, I get it. Imagine how we feel? We gave up a year of our life or more to Bernie and the revolution. I postponed my wedding for him. I sobbed like a baby when he lost New York. I loved Bernie. I went across the country and looked literally thousands of women in the eyes and promised them Bernie was a feminist, that he would always have our backs. That's what haunts me. I lied. I believed it to my core back then, but Bernie has since made a liar out of me. We're all human and make mistakes. But demeaning my existence and treating women on your campaign as second class citizens is not an honest mistake, it's plain wrong. It's not what a hero does."

#10 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-03 01:37 AM | Reply

I loved Bernie.
Bernie was a feminist,
Bernie has since made a liar out of me.

What did Bernie do to her?

Still don't understand why staff and/or campaigners sexually harassing women would be Bernie's responsibility.

Did he personally vet all his employees? Was he in the room acting as a look out so others could assault women? Did he do anything himself? No, No and No.

I read everything you posted. Seems like some people who were working for Bernie did somethings they shouldn't have. And based on what you've posted, people were terminated and actions were taken as needed.

So. I ask. Why is Bernie's name being mentioned?

Because this is a smear campaign. The DNC has started early and they are still butthurt about 2016.

Slander is the name of the game.

I really wish you'd ask yourself why you're so eager to spread it.

#11 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-01-03 01:49 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I honestly don't think this is coming out of the DNC

Of course it is.

#12 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-01-03 01:49 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

More background info:

Congressional candidate Arturo Carmona denies allegations of sexism leveled at him by former Sanders campaign staffers

www.latimes.com

#13 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-03 03:07 AM | Reply

"So. I ask. Why is Bernie's name being mentioned?"

According to Mendieta this is one reason why:

I bring this up now even though this has been a year in the making because, last week, Arturo Carmona made a splashing public reappearance  --  at the Sanders Institute event, by personal invitation from Jane Sanders.

#14 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-03 03:13 AM | Reply

I have yet to get an answer to my questions.

I'll take the lack of answers as a sign that the slander machine is rolling full steam down the track.

Before I give up. One more question.

What exactly has Sanders done?

#15 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-01-03 03:24 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I posted 15 before 14 has posted, or before I saw it posted.

So. Bernie's crime was, "Arturo Carmona made a splashing public reappearance  --  at the Sanders Institute event, by personal invitation from Jane Sanders."

Look. I know If we keep building this molehill it can become a mountain.

I'm sure the DNC will make it happen.

#16 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-01-03 03:29 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

In addition to Jane inviting Carmona to the Sanders Institute event recently, this is her claim:

Yes, before I ever even came out publicly about Arturo Carmona, Bernie did know. He knew everything. He heard the whole sordid tale and still considered endorsing Arturo. And when asked by the press about it after I came out, he feigned ignorance and still refused to condemn him. Is that the reaction you expect from a hero? Many of you asked me what Bernie had to say, assuming him or someone from his team obviously would have reached out to me after the story broke. No, he did not and they did not. It was crickets. And lest you think it some inflated sense of self, how would you react if you were a politician and this story emerged about your own campaign (that is, if you are a feminist)? I would've immediately picked up the phone, reached out, apologized, soothed, promised to investigate, something, anything. But Bernie (and his team) did nothing. Instead, I got blacklisted.

She also claims:

And where are the women who spoke out? The two who worked for Our Revolution have since been fired. The one who was a board member was pushed out.

#17 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-03 03:32 AM | Reply

"Look. I know If we keep building this molehill it can become a mountain.
I'm sure the DNC will make it happen."

This may be a disgruntled former Bernie staffer talking, but I am finding it hard to understand how the DNC is responsible for the info described in the Mar. 31, 2017 LA Times article I linked to.

#18 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-03 03:36 AM | Reply

Arturo Carmona & sexism: what you need to know (CA34)

MisogynyLeaks HQ
Apr 1, 2017

medium.com

#19 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-03 03:48 AM | Reply

"Slander is the name of the game.
I really wish you'd ask yourself why you're so eager to spread it."

You may have noticed I often do deep dives into one subject or another: something related to Trump/Russia, the Kavanaugh hearings, etc. Tonight I am having a HUGE problem with insomnia, because someone very dear to me needs a kidney transplant, and I am worried sick about it. Since I couldn't sleep and since I stumbled onto Mendieta's twitter feed on one of the links I posted about Bernie's appearance on Anderson Cooper, I started to follow her links in an attempt to figure out what her beef is and to distract myself in lieu of sleep. You are assuming that my posting what I find is an endorsement of what I find. It's not. To my mind, these are just pieces of a puzzle, the whole of which I haven't yet seen. I should probably get some sleeping pills or take up meditation or something.

#20 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-03 04:23 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

PS Misogyny Leaks HQ? Who knew.

#21 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-03 04:24 AM | Reply

This may be a disgruntled former Bernie staffer talking

Considering the story is more about Bernie Sanders and her feelings about him, than the man who actually harassed her?

Yes. I'd have to agree.

Perhaps she should go after Arturo Carmona. At least that would make sense.

#22 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-01-03 04:34 AM | Reply

"Perhaps she should go after Arturo Carmona. At least that would make sense."

Oh, she did, she did and she did, and that's why she's so POed that Jane and Bernie invited him to their event despite knowing of her and a bunch of other women's complaints (see the Misogyny Leaks link).

#23 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-03 04:54 AM | Reply

Gal.

If Arturo Carmona is accused. He should be on trial and receive a proper punishment.

I am not excusing any kind of harassment, sexual or otherwise.

I'm wondering how this is all on Bernie's shoulders.

(Just clarifying. I know you haven't accused me of anything.)

#24 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-01-03 05:07 AM | Reply

she did, she did and she did,

In court?

#25 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-01-03 05:14 AM | Reply

Clownshack is right, Gal is wrong, thread is garbage.

#26 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-01-03 05:57 AM | Reply

All these posts with the word hero in it from people with claims.

Why are people so pathetically attached to political figures?

#27 | Posted by jpw at 2019-01-03 09:37 AM | Reply

"I guess I must have missed all of this when it was happening. Or perhaps it wasn't considered news at the time."

Here she is being interviewed on TYT Exclusive with Nomiki Konst explaining in her own words the difficulties she had getting the story about Carmona out and how she finally did:

medium.com

"Well. Maybe Bernie will respond to all this recent attention the story has been getting."

He did respond generally last night on Anderson Cooper, but, yes, maybe he will respond more specifically.

#28 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-03 10:17 AM | Reply

In the interview the women discuss the support they received from two high profile Bernie supporters, Nina Turner and Susan Sarandon:

"Former Bernie 2016 campaign staff and surrogates released an open letter with over a dozen signatures including Nina Turner, Susan Sarandon Help End the Cycle of Sexism  --  Withdraw Your Endorsement of Arturo Carmona on Sat, April 1st 2017."

From what I can tell Bernie never endorsed Carmona, but he also didn't condemn him as the women who spoke out had hoped. That probably would have been the end of the story, and was, until Carmona was invited to that Sanders Institute, at which point the old wound was reopened and had been made worse by the women claim was the firing and blacklisting of some of the women who spoke out in the interim.

Here's the tweet in Josh Marshall's thread that I followed:

Revolusha @revolusha (aka Masha Mendieta)

Wow. That's the first apology I've heard out of him and I wouldn't have even known if you hadn't tagged me. I need to process that. But yes, he did apparently know by at least 2 years ago before I came out about Carmona in CA. Don't know about before that during 2016
6:55 PM - 2 Jan 2019

#29 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-03 10:30 AM | Reply

"Clownshack is right, Gal is wrong, thread is garbage."

The approach I take on these kinds of issues is somewhere between "every woman must be believed" and "everyone woman is lying". My feeling is that every woman should be heard and then her claims investigated. My posts have been geared toward putting forward Masha's side of the story. I haven't expressed an opinion other to question how the DNC could be behind her claims. If I come across other people's side of the story, I will post them.

#30 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-03 10:37 AM | Reply

everyone woman = every woman

#31 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-03 10:40 AM | Reply

Here's the letter Turner and Sarandon signed:

Help End the Cycle of Sexism  --  Withdraw Your Endorsement of Arturo Carmona

extranewsfeed.com

#32 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-03 01:53 PM | Reply

Help End the Cycle of Sexism  --  Withdraw Your Endorsement of Arturo Carmona

At least this is more to the point. And something we can all get behind.

Arturo Carmona should be held accountable for his actions.

Now. Has this gone to court? That should be the next step.

#33 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-01-03 03:30 PM | Reply

Actually. There's nothing to take to court.

I read the emails. The complaint against Arturo is "sexism".

How men were promoted while women who were "more qualified", weren't.

This seems like someone who felt her superior wasn't acknowledging her. Not someone who was dealing with sexual harassment. (I guess being passed up for promotions could be harassment)

If I'm missing any information. I'm happy to read it.

#34 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-01-03 03:50 PM | Reply

Only a bern out would complain about the race of his own volunteers.

#35 | Posted by Tor at 2019-01-03 03:53 PM | Reply

"Not slandering Bernie because he associates with someone who, up until 2016, probably came off as a normal, hard working guy. "

As I understand it, one complaint is that Jane and Bernie invited Arturo to the Sanders Institute gathering in December 2018 after having been informed of his "sexism" in April 2017 by through the letter linked to in #32 signed by more than a dozen Bernie staffers and two high profile surrogates (Turner and Sarandon):

Nida Allam

Bernie 2016 National Director for Veteran Outreach

Nina Turner
Bernie 2016 Surrogate

Lilia Villa
Bernie 2016 Staff

#36 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-03 04:20 PM | Reply

Only a bern out would complain about the race of his own volunteers.

Did Bernie actually do this? I'd be happy to read your link.

#37 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-01-03 04:23 PM | Reply

My opinion at this time:

Sexism existed in Bernie's campaign (but was not unique to it).

Bernie didn't know about it during the campaign because, as he said, he "was kind of busy".

At some point Bernie and his campaign learned of the various claims of sexism and began to institute policies and procedures to correct this in his future campaigns, which is admirable.

Bernie needs to explain to his staffers why Arturo was invited to the event last month. I would recommend he look into the claims that women who spoke up were retaliated against.

Nothing that has come out so far is enough to disqualify him from running in 2020, but if he can make the time, I would also recommend that he personally speaks with those who spoke out. I think it would go a long way to putting these issues to rest.

#38 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-03 04:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Gal.

I agree with your entire #38.

#39 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-01-03 05:00 PM | Reply

Gal, can you knock some sense into Bruce for us? The guy is acting like Sanders himself is a rapist in the other thread. I ticked him off by reminding everyone how differently Hillary handled sexual assault on her campaign. The truth hurts those clintonites like they're trump supporters.

#40 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-01-03 05:11 PM | Reply

"I agree with your entire #38."

CS, happy that we could come to that consensus.

#41 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-04 12:44 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#40 IJ, I'll have to get back to you on that.

#42 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-04 12:44 AM | Reply

CS, happy that we could come to that consensus.

Me too. 👍🏼 😎

Very refreshing on a site mainly used to troll and flame.

#43 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-01-04 12:50 AM | Reply

Sanders campaign leaders are now dropping out of politics.

Can't imagine why.

After all they're not guilty of anything.

#44 | Posted by Tor at 2019-01-04 07:34 PM | Reply