Saturday, December 29, 2018

Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Saturday responded to outgoing Sen. Claire McCaskill on Twitter after the Missouri Democrat referred to the incoming freshman congresswoman as "a bright shiny new object" earlier this week. "Not sure why fmr Sen. McCaskill keeps going on TV to call me a 'thing' and 'shiny object,' but it's pretty disappointing," Ocasio-Cortez, a Democrat from New York, wrote on Twitter.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

"And so she's now talked about a lot," McCaskill added. "I'm not sure what she's done yet to generate that kind of enthusiasm, but I wish her well. I hope she hangs the moon. But I hope she also realizes that the parts of the country that are rejecting the Democratic Party, like a whole lot of white working class voters, need to hear about how their work is going to be respected, and the dignity of their jobs, and how we can really stick to issues that we can actually accomplish something on."

McCaskill concluded, "The rhetoric is cheap. Getting results is a lot harder."

Sounds like a reasonable position to me. Ocasio-Cortez is going to find she's unlikely to get anything done if she keeps letting her head grow larger and larger.

Comments

Ocasio-Cortez did nothing to provoke McCaskill's personal attacks.

It's interesting to see which Democrats are willing to self-own themselves as has-beens by attacking a rising young politician from a new generation. McCaskill's final days as a senator have been spent demonstrating how much of a tired hack she became. No wonder she lost.

#4 | Posted by rcade at 2018-12-30 08:10 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Yawn.

If Ocasio-Cortez is going to make it, you'll have to let her sink or swim. Not delete posts that are critical of her.

And it wasn't a personal attack, it was a spot on assessment. She is getting a lot of press, press she's inviting and reveling in, without having done a thing, you know, like getting sworn in.

I'll wait to see if she can actually gets anything done before proclaiming her the future of the Democratic party. And that's going to have to be more than savvy social media presence.

#5 | Posted by jpw at 2018-12-30 09:36 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

BTW I can see the kool aid mustache in post number 4, rcade.

What does Ocasio-Cortez flavored kool aid actually taste like?

#6 | Posted by jpw at 2018-12-30 10:15 AM | Reply

I've noticed that a lot of Democrats are overly protective of AOC. Why? Is it because she is youngest member of Congress and a woman, and so they think she needs protecting? She doesn't. She is more than capable of taking care of herself. I happen to believe that McCaskill is right about AOC at this point. Through no fault of her own, she has been made into the new political it girl, the latest shiny political object as McCaskill calls it. AOC has said politics is not about personalities; it's about policies. But, to the determent of us all, the media prefers to hype personalities and personality-related conflict over policy. It's one of the big reasons we have Trump.

#7 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-30 11:21 AM | Reply

"I'm not sure what she's done yet to generate that kind of enthusiasm"

This comment is pretty ignorant.
She beat a long-term incumbent.
She got young people interested in Democrats.
That's what she did.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-12-30 11:21 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"I'm not sure what she's done yet to generate that kind of enthusiasm"

She did, but as I explained before, NY did something weird this year and held the US Congressional and Senate primaries in June, separate from the NY state primaries (for governor, attorney general, etc.) which were held in September. Not as many people voted in June as did in September, and I'm not convinced AOC would have won in September when more traditional voters turned out:

Primary:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D)
56.7
16,898

Joseph Crowley (D)
43.3
12,880

ballotpedia.org

Still, she did win by the rules that were in place at the time of her primary by generating more enthusiasm and a sense of urgency among her base, and the incumbent lost.

#9 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-30 11:31 AM | Reply

Crowley voted in favor of the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002.[45]

Ocasio-Cortez was 13 years old at the time.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-12-30 11:40 AM | Reply

#10 Yes, and living in Yorktown with her parents, I believe. Westchester county is adjacent to NYC. Many people in both NYC and Westchester were deeply affected by 9/11, having lost a friend or loved on that day.

I had Christmas dinner with someone who lives in AOC's district in the Bronx, and I asked him about her. He said that one of his close friend's loves her. I said one of my close friend's loves her too. Then another person at the table piped in and expressed an opinion of AOC more in line with McCaskill's. I tried the bridge the gap by saying I was glad to see younger people, more women and more minorities in the new Congress, but that I also thought AOC should be careful on Twitter. Then another person comment about the age of the new Congress being 10 years younger than the previous one. After that, the conversation moved on to other things.

#11 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-30 11:54 AM | Reply

comment=commented

#12 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-30 11:56 AM | Reply

Because a federal judge ruled that overseas service members must get absentee ballots at least 45 days before a federal election to make sure the ballots can be sent back and counted in time.

NY having Sept primaries wasn't enough time.

I believe the state can change the date, as a judge set it, but it must be at least 45 days before the federal election.

#13 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2018-12-30 12:22 PM | Reply

NY state could have moved the state primaries back to June so they could be held on the same day as they always have been, but:

The New York State Assembly, controlled by Democrats, has voted to move the state primary back to June but the New York State Senate, controlled by Republicans, won't agree.

www.whec.com

#14 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-30 12:33 PM | Reply

#8 that's all well and good but if she keeps burning bridges and acting as if winning an election is meaningful in the long term she's going to hobble her abilities to push her ideas into the realm of policy.

Then she'll have done all that and spent an ineffective 2 years in Congress before potentially being voted out.

But hey, I'm sure she'll have some pithy tweets along the way.

#15 | Posted by jpw at 2018-12-30 12:56 PM | Reply

It seems the June date conflicts with the States legislative session, State Republicans are favoring August.

There are issues there as well. no good answer, seems like was September pretty tight though.

#16 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2018-12-30 01:00 PM | Reply

The difference I see between Claire and AOC isn't that one is a has been and one is a rising start, but that one was running statewide in a swing state and the other was running in one of the bluest districts in the country. AOC's fellow progressives who ran statewide in NY (Cynthia Nixon for Governor, Jumaane Williams for Lt. Governor, and Zephyr Teachout for Attorney General) did not win their primaries. That's why I resist efforts to push AOC's primary victory as of great significance on the state (of NY) and federal levels. It may be that AOC will run for Senator from the great state of NY someday and win. It may be that she run for POTUS someday and win in NY and across the country. Let's see how she does as a representative once she is sworn in and then go from there. Personally, I think AOC is impressive and charismatic; I also think she is green in more ways than one (which isn't an insult, btw). I like her and admire what she has done so far campaigning, but I don't love her and am not over the moon about her. That could change once I see what she what/how she does in Congress.

#17 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-30 01:11 PM | Reply

Wow. Lots of people super critical of AOC because she's vocal about wanting to help America and Americans.

You guys really need the Nancy Pelosi Dems back in the White House. The ones who pay lip service to middle class and poor Americans while making sure to look out for the rich.

Laughable.

#18 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-12-30 01:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I bet there is a cost savings of having such a short window, between primary and general election. Plus it makes it painless instead of a year long election cycle."

It costs the state millions to have two primaries, which is why some Republicans are also for combining the two. As a voter I'd like to see them combined.

#19 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-30 01:16 PM | Reply

#20 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-12-30 01:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Lots of people super critical of AOC because she's vocal about wanting to help America and Americans."

That's the same platform Trump ran on although I doubt AOC wouldn't use the word "again". Maybe her slogan can be MAGFA! What's with thinking candidates and elected officials are about critique, especially if it is meant to be constructive criticism? That, too, reminds me of Trump and his supporters.

#21 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-30 01:20 PM | Reply

about=above

#22 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-30 01:21 PM | Reply

"She won't get a chance to. Nancy Pelosi is already blocking her at every turn. Seems the old nag has a stick up her craw. Mainly cause Ocasio-Cortez called her out for being a corporate shill and Republican in Democrat's garb."

Link(s)?

#23 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-30 01:22 PM | Reply

#18 talk is cheap and easy. Her explanation of paying for all the free stuff she's proposing is as pie in the sky as trickle down economics.

My point is simply that I'll wait for her to reveal that she's not just an empty suit as we don't have enough info as of yet to make that conclusion.

#24 | Posted by jpw at 2018-12-30 01:28 PM | Reply

Yea! She's a shiny object! Like a piece of aluminum foil, or a stripper!

Women like being called shiny objects. Cause they're dumb and attractive to men. Way to keep women where they belong Gal. Way to support a strong young female politician. Make sure you belittle her more.

I doubt you'd ever call a male politician a shiny object. But hey. You're from a time where women were shiny objects and men were boss.

How is it her fault the media is over representing her to her detriment? You want to know why the media is demonizing her so much? Corporate America fears her message. So the MSM over saturate the public with her message and make sure to attach scary buzz words like socialism to her so the majority of idiots scared of socialism will fear and hate her.

It's one of the big reasons we have Trump.

We have Trump cause the DNC stole the primaries from Bernie and gave it to Hillary. And Hillary sucked and lost.

Let's delve back into 2016 for another 100 posts, shall we?

#25 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-12-30 01:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

That's the same platform Trump ran on

No it wasn't. How fkkking disingenuous, Gal.

Trump never talked about helping Americans or America.

He talking about Mexican criminals and rapists and Muslim terrorists and won the election promising to make America great again by ridding us of foreigners and globalism.

Funny how you "confuse" the two.

Ocasio-Cortez's message is more in line with Bernie Sanders and is about redistribution of wealth. From the rich to the poor. You know, real trickledown economics.

#26 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-12-30 01:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

--I doubt you'd ever call a male politician a shiny object.

I would; the latest example is Bob O'Rourke.

#27 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-12-30 01:38 PM | Reply

--she's vocal about wanting to help America and Americans.

Every politician says that. Are you new to politics?

#28 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-12-30 01:40 PM | Reply

Link(s)?
#23 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

Progressive Pelosi Blocks Green Deal 'Committee'

#29 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-12-30 01:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"How is it her fault the media is over representing her to her detriment? You want to know why the media is demonizing her so much?"

IMO, she is being overhyped by some on both sides, and I hope she continues to keep her wits about her:

Vox @voxdotcom

Alexndria Ocasio-Cortez should run for president and dare the Supreme Court to stop her, argues @mattyglesias.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez @Ocasio2018

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Retweeted Vox

How about... no.
Sometimes political media is too fixated on personalities instead of policies.
The whole country JUST went through an exhausting midterm election. We need a break.
Can we instead talk about healthcare, a living wage, legalizing cannabis, GND, & other issues

#30 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-30 01:50 PM | Reply

No. It's simple redistribution. Or. Better stated. Fixing taxes so the rich actually pay a fair share instead of hoarding trillions in off shore banks.

Also.

We literally bailed out the banks and have been funding wars, in multiple countries, for over twenty years.

But clearly, spending money on Americans is a "pie in the sky" dream.

Sure it is. The rich appreciate you buying their narrative.

#24 | POSTED BY JPW

You're not waiting for shht. You're already casting doubts and disparities on her.

Apparently she's a fake and a fraud unless she can prove otherwise.

#31 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-12-30 01:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Trump never talked about helping Americans or America. "

He did. He promised to drain the swamp, bring back manufacturing, steel and coal jobs, fix the tax code and healthcare for everyone, stop spending taxpayers money overseas.

#32 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-30 01:54 PM | Reply

I doubt you'd ever call a male politician a shiny object.

I would; the latest example is Bob O'Rourke.
#27 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

Well. That's cause, for you, Beto is a shiny object.

Bet you'd love to sink your teeth into his soft warm flesh.

#33 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-12-30 01:56 PM | Reply

"I doubt you'd ever call a male politician a shiny object."

Trump was the biggest, brightest, orangest shiny political object of all times. Not only that, he was a shiny object that spewed out shiny objects for the press to chase on a daily basis. And still does.

#34 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-30 01:57 PM | Reply

"fix the tax code "

Oh, he "fixed" it, alright, as in "The fix was in".

#35 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-12-30 01:57 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

#32 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

He sounds dreamy.

Drain the swamp he definitely promoted.

Those other things he may have said in passing. But clearly weren't his main talking points.

Again. Super disingenuous to compare Trump's message to Ocasio-Cortez's.

But. When you got an agenda. Run with it.

#36 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-12-30 02:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I called AOC the new Democratic political it girl. Obama was once considered the new Democratic political it guy and look what he was able to accomplish. Time will tell.

#37 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-30 02:01 PM | Reply

"I'm surprised you picked any of that up in between his calls for locking up Mexicans, Muslims, and Hillary."

I tried to hear what the people in my family who voted for him were hearing. They all weren't just hearing anti-Mexican/Muslim/Hillary rhetoric.

#38 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-30 02:03 PM | Reply

"Again. Super disingenuous to compare Trump's message to Ocasio-Cortez's."

I was comparing his message (MAGA) to your statement about AOC: "--she's vocal about wanting to help America and Americans."

Like Nulli said:

"Every politician says that. Are you new to politics?"

#39 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-30 02:06 PM | Reply

I doubt one representative in the HoR will make any changes to our government or America.

But, Ocasio-Cortez has a message that resonates with me and a lot of other Americans.

Corporate democrats aren't helping average Americans and republicans are doing everything they can for a quick profit.

It's refreshing to hear someone speak up.

You all just have way too many expectations for her.

#40 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-12-30 02:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Ocasio-Cortez Currently Backs Pelosi, ‘Most Progressive Candidate,' For Speaker

talkingpointsmemo.com

Ocasio-Cortez gets office two doors down from Pelosi

thehill.com

#41 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-30 02:10 PM | Reply

Clownshack must be in love.

Otherwise he wouldn't be blowing his hemroids over AOC. LOL

#42 | Posted by jpw at 2018-12-30 02:10 PM | Reply

"You all just have way too many expectations for her."

I'm not the one who thinks she should run for President in 2020. Neither does she.

#43 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-30 02:12 PM | Reply

#44 | Posted by jpw at 2018-12-30 02:14 PM | Reply

Like Nulli said:
"Every politician says that. Are you new to politics?"

Perhaps you're all jaded. All politicians lie. So. Ocasio-Cortez must be lying too.

I doubt she feels the need to lie. Being honest about perceived injustice was what won her the election. I feel like that would promote her to continue being forward with her opinions.

From over here, she sounds like a breath of fresh air. Kinda like Bernie did.

#45 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-12-30 02:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I get why people would love/be in love with her. She's very appealing on many levels and in many ways. I used to say I loved Obama, not in an "in love" kind of way. Sometimes people feel a tingle run up their legs. Tons of people on the right loved/were in love with Palin. Saying, "let's wait and see about someone" isn't the same as calling them a fraud or a fake.

#46 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-30 02:17 PM | Reply

I'm pretty sure no one on this thread, or on the entire Drudge Retort, has suggested she run for President in 2020.

Definitely not on this thread. I haven't followed every thread, so perhaps some did suggest as much.

#47 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-12-30 02:19 PM | Reply

Clownshack must be in love.

You must be drunk.

;)

#48 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-12-30 02:20 PM | Reply

"#32 his entire inaugural address was about the forgotten people who were left behind by previous administrations.
Which was why the smarter among us knew he was going to be bad-he started selling the big lie from day 1."

I knew he was going to be bad before that. I knew right away illegal immigrants, the LGBT community, the environment, the poor and people with pre-existing conditions were in bit trouble if he got his way and that his campaign promises were all lies.

#49 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-30 02:21 PM | Reply

#47 No, it was @mattyglesias at Vox. See #30.

#50 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-30 02:23 PM | Reply

She's not talking like every other politician. She's actually being straightforward about how she sees America and what she feels about it. - clownshack

So does Trump....

#51 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2018-12-30 02:28 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#51 The same thing was said about Palin now that I think about it.

#52 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-30 02:35 PM | Reply

So does Trump....

Trump speaks like a moron. He was born with a golden spoon up his arse and hasn't a clue what the average American needs.

He talks in circles. Lies left and right. Contradicts himself as needed in any given moment. Pouts, whines, and complements himself simultaneously.

The guy hasn't a clue about anything. I've hear more coherence from elementary school kids.

You only like Trump because he handed you a giant tax cut and he's a xenophobe, like you are.

#53 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-12-30 02:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Her explanation of paying for all the free stuff she's proposing is as pie in the sky as trickle down economics."

That I'd like to see.
Is there a link to her explanation?

#54 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-12-30 03:17 PM | Reply

"So does Trump...."

Trump changes what he thinks and says all the time.

Like when he said he would be proud to own the government shutdown, then ten days later he blamed Democrats for the government shutdown.

Like the "wall" that's now a "barrier."

#55 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-12-30 03:22 PM | Reply

That I'd like to see.
Is there a link to her explanation?

#54 | Posted by snoofy

www.cnn.com

There was a thread on it here IIRC.

#56 | Posted by jpw at 2018-12-30 08:24 PM | Reply

The problem with AOC is that is is totally unaware of her bubble in which she lives. To be fair to her, this is pretty common among the political class. As such, she does not understand what a small percentage of people actually agree with her ideas or the truly progressive Democratic agenda. I am an independent voter so I take issues with both sides because they both lie to their voting base. But, the level of lies the Democrats now telling are outpacing the GOP in severity. If we are to go back in time and look at the traditional Democratic base and their opponents, we would find:

Supporters:
Unions
Blue collar/working class
The Poor
Marginalized minorities (LGBT, black, Hispanic)
Civil Libertarians fearful of the GOP implementing a religious state focused on censorship and curtailment of individual rights
Farmers (small family farmers)

Opponents:
MIC
Large corporations
Free Traders
Fiscal Libertarians
Small businesses

What we have seen over the last 30 years and cemented with the Trump presidency is a complete reversal of the positions taken on these issues by each party. We now have Democrats complaining about Trump pulling out of Syria (along with the Neocon/Never Trump wing of the GOP). What happened to the anti-war movement that arose during GWB?

As a union member - and by this I mean a trade union in manufacturing not in a professional service union like a teacher or government employee union - why would you still support the Democratic party? They are for open borders (some still pretend to not be) which lowers wages, are for free trade (which exposes you to unfair foreign competition), and embrace environmental causes which exist to shut your plant down. What about the Democratic embrace of Wall Street and ZERO prosecutions for 2008?

The GOP transformation has been equally stunning. The Neocons had their wings clipped, Trump is so far from the religious tyrant that was feared for so long that the Dems now hold his sordid private sex life against him. Trump supporters have actually replaced the ACLU as the ones actually fighting for personal freedoms in expression. What is more 'edgy' now, wearing an anarchist armband in NYC or a MAGA hat?

I give McCaskill credit for being smart enough to diagnose that a vast majority of the US voters don't support their true platform of SJW, open borders, free trade, and Wall Street / tech billionaires. She understands that the Democrats need to lie to their voter base to keep the money flowing to win elections. For them, they have gone all-in on the notion that as long as you spend enough, you can convince your base of anything.

#57 | Posted by nobiasposter101 at 2018-12-30 11:24 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Supporters:
Unions
Blue collar/working class
The Poor
Marginalized minorities (LGBT, black, Hispanic)
Farmers (small family farmers)

Opponents:
MIC
Large corporations
Free Traders
Fiscal Libertarians
Small businesses

#58 | Posted by nobiasposter101 at 2018-12-30 11:24 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

Lastly on AOC, here is her historic victory in actual numbers.

Her district will vote for anyone with the official D behind their name, so all that truly mattered was the primary, where she garnered 16K votes.

How that rates:

700 2.3% of the population of NY14
405 4.0% of the eligible voters of NY14
322 5.0% of the registered voters of NY14
128 12.5% of the people that voted in the actual election

Basically, her victory was little more than a high school class president popularity contest.

I give her credit, she worked the system. But, the reason why Pelosi, McCaskill, etc have not embrraced her or agenda is because they know that they cannot win elections by telling the American people that is what they want.

It really is no different that the former GOP Neocon leadership or GOP corporate/Koch brothers wing of the party. They know that their only chance to win is to pretend to support Trump's working class populism.

#59 | Posted by nobiasposter101 at 2018-12-30 11:34 PM | Reply

"She won't get a chance to. Nancy Pelosi"

Then Claire is right....

#60 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-12-31 12:31 AM | Reply

No even close. Not only are they not in the same ballpark but they're not even in the same league or sport.

They are for open borders (some still pretend to not be) which lowers wages,

Bzzzt wrong!

are for free trade (which exposes you to unfair foreign competition),

You're a fool if you think free trade is a Dem only position. If you really are against this you surely have issues with CU and the growing influence of money in our electoral process, right?

and embrace environmental causes which exist to shut your plant down.

Good. If your plant is that environmentally destructive it should be shut down. A few hundred people's paychecks don't mean more than thousands of people's health who are down wind/stream.

LOL

This is just righty talking point drivel.

#61 | Posted by jpw at 2018-12-31 10:14 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Where is the total drivel flag when you need one?

#62 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-31 11:04 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

"But, the reason why Pelosi, McCaskill, etc have not embrraced her or agenda is because they know that they cannot win elections by telling the American people that is what they want."

I woukd still like to see this agenda, in her own words.

Pelosi and McCaskill represent two very different Americas.

I'm not convinced either has asked the American people what they want, nearly so much as they have asked campaign contibutors what they want.

#63 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-12-31 11:13 AM | Reply

"Wall Street / tech billionaires."

^
Prefers Russian and Saudi billionaires.

#64 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-12-31 11:14 AM | Reply

"They are for open borders"

Still wondering what that means, since apparently it doesn't mean this:

"I don't believe in the literal WALL across Americas southern border
#42 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS"

Anyone???

#65 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-12-31 11:28 AM | Reply

"We now have Democrats complaining about Trump pulling out of Syria (along with the Neocon/Never Trump wing of the GOP). What happened to the anti-war movement that arose during GWB?"

Democrats and some Republicans objected to the way Trump is pulling out: at the request of Erdogan, without consulting with his own generals and in such a way as to leave our allies the Kurds high and dry and subject to being slaughtered by Turkish forces. The devil is in the details as they say, and in this case, the details are downright evil.

#66 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-31 11:38 AM | Reply

Let's pretend that I concede that point that your objection is to the way rather than the fact we are pulling out. So, how should he handle this differently? We are talking about ethnic strife that has endured for hundreds, and in some cases, thousands of years. We have Turkey refusing to allow an Independent Kurdish state (which happens to live on top of their oil) and a Kurdish state that refuses to allow Turkish rule. There is no diplomatic situation to be had now just like there wasn't for the last 400 years. We have 3 choices:

1.) Support Turkey and allow the Kurds to be slaughtered (Iraq would be happy too)
2.) Support the Kurds and actively fight Turkey (a NATO member)
3.) Arm both sides so US taxpayers ultimately foot the bill

Whether we pull out tomorrow or 5 years from now, these 3 positions will not change.

Rand Paul said it best - we don't need to always pick a side in these things.

#67 | Posted by nobiasposter101 at 2018-12-31 11:54 AM | Reply

"So, how should he handle this differently?" "
"Rand Paul said it best - we don't need to always pick a side in these things."

He could start by asking his general and not Rand Paul, one of Putin's couriers to Trump.

#68 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-31 11:58 AM | Reply

"She understands that the Democrats need to lie to their voter base to keep the money flowing to win elections. For them, they have gone all-in on the notion that as long as you spend enough, you can convince your base of anything."

So much projection, you have accurately described Trump and the GOP. No one believes you are a no bias poster, btw. Your right-leaning slant is obvious to anyone patient enough to read through your lies and drivel. Hey, are you the latest incarnation of Sheeple? You are just as duplicitous.

#69 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-31 12:02 PM | Reply

#68 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

Why would he do this? The generals have proven time and again that their only solution is continual war. What do you think would change by the US staying in Syria for another 6 months?

#70 | Posted by nobiasposter101 at 2018-12-31 12:05 PM | Reply

"Rand Paul said it best - we don't need to always pick a side in these things."

We didn't have to but we did. Now doing the dishonorable thing and leaving those who fought side by side with us to the mercy of Ergodan is just wrong and I don't care if they are a NATO member or not. The time to consider pulling out is before we go in. WE need to consider those things before we ask anyone to ally with us. We have left a string of deserted allies around the world who were slaughtered when we just up and left. Trump is immoral, it doesn't bother him but for the rest of us it should matter to us and we should find a better way.

#71 | Posted by danni at 2018-12-31 12:08 PM | Reply

I don't have a bias. I believe Trump is a liar and relatively unstable. That said, I don't think he is stupid or incompetent. I would say the same thing about Pelosi and Schumer. They are very intelligent. You don't get that successful in life without a combination of luck (opportunity) and intelligence. I think your world view would evolve quite a bit if you can accept that fact that the people that disagree with you have valid reasons for their positions rather than just assuming that they are stupid, evil, and racist.

#72 | Posted by nobiasposter101 at 2018-12-31 12:10 PM | Reply

The time to consider pulling out is before we go in.
#71 | POSTED BY DANNI

#73 | Posted by nobiasposter101 at 2018-12-31 12:12 PM | Reply

""So you correctly blame Obama and Hillary for our Syrian involvement? What about Yemen? How much longer should we fund that?"

No, I remember why we went in. ISIS. That falls on George W. Bush and his idiotic invasion and occupation of Iraq and then firing the military and the police. Obama could not just stand by and allow ISIS to murder people as they were.

#74 | Posted by danni at 2018-12-31 12:15 PM | Reply

Donald Trump, man with a reassuring plan:

Lindsey Graham @LindseyGrahamSC

I learned a lot from President @realDonaldTrump about our efforts in Syria that was reassuring.

The President will make sure any withdrawal from Syria will be done in a fashion to ensure:

1) ISIS is permanently destroyed.

2) Iran doesn't fill in the back end, and

3) our Kurdish allies are protected.

President @realDonaldTrump is talking with our commanders and working with our allies to make sure these three objectives are met as we implement the withdrawal.

#75 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-31 12:16 PM | Reply

NOBIASPOSTER needs to get a more realistic screen name, that one is just a joke. No bias my ass! Here's a suggestion "RIGHTWINGLIAR" how's that for you NOBIAS?

#76 | Posted by danni at 2018-12-31 12:17 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

"1) ISIS is permanently destroyed."

Famous last words.

#77 | Posted by danni at 2018-12-31 12:17 PM | Reply

"So you correctly blame Obama and Hillary for our Syrian involvement?"

Mmmm, that's good blame game!

#78 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-12-31 12:18 PM | Reply

#74 | POSTED BY DANNI

Bush was an idiot war criminal and ISIS has been defeated. Mission accomplished. After 15+ years, we are not going to accomplish anything in the next 5 that we have not in the past 15. No reason to stay. Syria was a war of Obama's choosing and made worse by supplying weapons to 'moderate' terrorists that often defected to ISIS. Had we not armed the FSA, the conflict would have ended 3 years ago with the same result we have now.

#79 | Posted by nobiasposter101 at 2018-12-31 12:19 PM | Reply

I don't see how someone who is relatively unstable can be competent but whatever. I sure as hell wouldn't want a relatively unstable doctor operating on me or a relatively unstable POTUS leading the country.

#80 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-31 12:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"Bush was an idiot war criminal and ISIS has been defeated. Mission accomplished."

Hahahaha!!!

How'd the idiot war criminal manage to beat ISIS though?

#81 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-12-31 12:24 PM | Reply

- No reason to stay.

ISIS appreciates your bias in their behalf.

#82 | Posted by Corky at 2018-12-31 12:25 PM | Reply

"The Pentagon says ISIS is "well-positioned" to make a comeback
New reports show ISIS may still have as many fighters as it did at its peak."

www.vox.com

Believe Trump or believe the Pentagon?

I choose The Pentagon.

#83 | Posted by danni at 2018-12-31 12:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

""I don't have a bias. I believe Trump is a liar and relatively unstable. That said, I don't think he is stupid or incompetent.""

He flew to Iraq and told our troops there that he just got them a 10% pay raise, the first raise they've received in 10 years. He's a liar, if his lips are moving he's lying.

#84 | Posted by danni at 2018-12-31 12:28 PM | Reply

"I don't have a bias."

Everyone has a bias (or 2 or 20). The fact that you think you don't is part of yours.

#85 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-31 12:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I believe Trump is relatively unstable, compared to other stable geniuses."

#86 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-12-31 12:30 PM | Reply

I choose The Pentagon.

#83 | POSTED BY DANNI

#87 | Posted by nobiasposter101 at 2018-12-31 12:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Of course you do. You are a MIC supporting Dem because Obama and Hillary told you to do so. Did you ever think you would become that when you were supporting the anti-war movement in 2008? I guess it is true, once you go black, you never go back. Thanks Obama."

Yep, you are sounding more and more like Sheeple with every post. Tell me, what do you think of Bernie Sanders?

#88 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-31 12:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I think your world view would evolve quite a bit if you can accept that fact that the people that disagree with you have valid reasons for their positions rather than just assuming that they are stupid, evil, and racist."

I don't make that assumption, but thanks for your faux concern.

#89 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-31 12:36 PM | Reply

Case in point:

"There were good people on both sides."

#90 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-12-31 12:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Bernie Sanders?
#88 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

He is a burn out with his head in the clouds. He failed at everything he ever tried in life (along with his wife) until he somehow convinced the young/dumb that his free ---- policies made sense. Of course, the nation rejected him but not before he was able to personally enrich himself.

#91 | Posted by nobiasposter101 at 2018-12-31 12:37 PM | Reply

#91 That comment sounds more like, who was it? Rex, who used to like to pretend to be other posters pushing rightwing talking points under the guise of being an unbiased observer?

#92 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-12-31 12:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#5 | POSTED BY JPW AT 2018-12-30 09:36 AM

Exactly. She's being treated like a deity and she hasn't accomplished anything yet.

#93 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-12-31 01:03 PM | Reply

In another thread I explained my views to you, since you don't seem to be able to comprehend I'm not going to repeat them. You're just not important enough of a poster for me to waste the effort.

#94 | Posted by danni at 2018-12-31 01:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

- He is a burn out with his head in the clouds.

Least biased post ever!

#95 | Posted by Corky at 2018-12-31 01:35 PM | Reply | Funny: 4 | Newsworthy 1

POSTED BY NOBIASPOSTER101

Thank goodness we finally have an unbiased poster.

#96 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-12-31 01:58 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

96 I'm going with it being a sheeple sock puppet.

#97 | Posted by jpw at 2018-12-31 02:08 PM | Reply

Iran doesn't fill in the back end

And everyone knows how much Iranians like to get in that back end!

Thank you folks. Be sure to tip your waiters.

#98 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-12-31 02:13 PM | Reply

#75 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

You actually believe Trump is acting as a Commander in Chief?

I doubt Trump is doing any of those things.

He's probably forgotten about Syria already and is busy wonder how his magnets work.

#99 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-12-31 02:16 PM | Reply

I'm going with it being a sheeple sock puppet.

Could be. But did sheeple use to write so much? This guy is posting paragraphs of biased bull.

Who ever he is, he's a full blown Trumptard.

#100 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-12-31 02:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It's called greed. And a bit of megalomania.

rather than just assuming that they are stupid, evil, and racist.

Why would you need to assume anything? Actions speak louder than words.

Trump has shown himself to be stupid, racist, and evil.

No assumptions necessary.

#101 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-12-31 02:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I think your world view would evolve quite a bit if you can accept that fact that the people that disagree with you have valid reasons for their positions"

Evolve me.

Let's hear your valid reason for denying global warming.

#102 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-12-31 02:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"She's being treated like a deity
#93 | POSTED BY JEFFJ"

Took me a minute to figure out what this might possibly mean...

I can't wait for the right-wing "Draw Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez" art show!

#103 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-12-31 06:19 PM | Reply

Let's hear your valid reason for denying global warming.
#102 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

I assume you are referring to climate change with that comment. I don't think that people that deny we will face catastrophic warming by the year 2100 (as those are based on predictive models that have done a pretty poor job of predicting to date) are incorrect to be skeptical. Further, they can ask the questions - are the historic temperatures that were actually recorded in real time in the US from 1890 thru the present year the ones being used and shown to the public today? Why have the historic temperatures been revised downwards in the past and judged upward closer to the present, ignoring the actual temperature recordings? Doesn't this changing of the historical record create a false trend line that is then extrapolated to the year 2100 to show the catastrophic warming?

If that doesn't work for you, perhaps we can go with the demonstrably false near term predictions of an ice free arctic or snowfall becoming a rare event.

This does not mean that warming is not occurring. But, I don't blame people for tuning it out as the main proponents for the cause have been so incorrect in their predictions to date. They start to resemble the doomsday preachers in many cities saying gay marriage will bring down God's wrath any day now.

#104 | Posted by nobiasposter101 at 2018-12-31 09:06 PM | Reply | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

"...as the main proponents for the cause have been so incorrect in their predictions to date." - #104 | Posted by nobiasposter101 at 2018-12-31 09:06 PM

No, they haven't been "so incorrect."

#105 | Posted by Hans at 2018-12-31 09:15 PM | Reply

#104 | Posted by nobiasposter101 at 2018-12-31 09:06 PM | Reply | Flagged newsworthy by nullifidian

Of course.

#106 | Posted by Hans at 2018-12-31 09:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

So you're naysaying climate science because the predictions have been incorrect?

You clearly don't see what a massive bait and switch that is, do you?

#107 | Posted by jpw at 2018-12-31 10:58 PM | Reply

No, they haven't been "so incorrect."
#105 | POSTED BY HANS

Yeah, I really enjoy the ice free arctic that we have enjoyed for the last 5 years. That, and the extinction of polar bears and no more snowfall in places like the UK, well, other than that blizzard that pretty much shut down the country. Are you for real?

#108 | Posted by nobiasposter101 at 2018-12-31 11:31 PM | Reply

#107 | POSTED BY JPW

So you are recommending that I have increasing confidence in the same people that have been incorrect? I guess that is a unique take on evaluating science.

#109 | Posted by nobiasposter101 at 2018-12-31 11:32 PM | Reply

So no, you don't understand the bait and switch you pushed.

#110 | Posted by jpw at 2019-01-01 01:11 AM | Reply

"You actually believe Trump is acting as a Commander in Chief?"

You actually believe I do?

#111 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-01 10:20 AM | Reply