Monday, December 10, 2018

Your Apps Know Where You Were Last Night, and They're Not Keeping It Secret -- Dozens of companies use smartphone locations to help advertisers and even hedge funds. They say it's anonymous, but the data shows how personal it is.

Comments

The amount of personal data sucked up from is truly amazing.

I read one article about an (if I remember correctly) insurance company that was buying up data about how frequently someone charges their smartphone.

It seems the insurance company found some correlation between how often you charge your smartphone and how prone you are to car accidents.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-12-10 12:44 PM | Reply

#1 possibly phone uses more power for voice.

So possibly more frequently you are talking while driving?

#2 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2018-12-10 12:52 PM | Reply

Hey, it's all right there in the 10,000 page agreement.

For anyone using Android and Gmail, check out Google Maps Timeline. If the Location on your phone is kept on, it'll show everywhere you've gone and how you got there on a daily basis.

I understand that personal data is big money but the amount of money and resources spent is getting ridiculous. Google, Apple, Facebook etc. are supposed to make life more interesting but it's as if they're only meant to be huge data mining operations.

#3 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2018-12-10 02:09 PM | Reply

@#3 ... it's as if they're only meant to be huge data mining operations. ...

I suspect it is less of an "as if" and more of "they are."

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-12-10 02:44 PM | Reply

I'm boring, and I like the more personlized ads, etc...

But I went in eyes wide open since I work in the field.

I suppose if I were more intersting, I might care more.

#5 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2018-12-10 05:21 PM | Reply

I believe this one is entirely the fault of Pocahontas.

She tried to game the system by claiming her heritage!

So obviously the Consumer Protection agency is just another one of her crooked scams to make ridiculous and pointless rules for corporations and the 1%.

Like Consumers need Protection!

How insulting that is to capitalism!

#6 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-12-10 05:37 PM | Reply

Don't want them to know where you are? Don't carry a connected homing beacon with you everywhere you go.

#7 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-12-10 06:55 PM | Reply

Phone App Companies Sell Your Location Data

The only surprise is that there are still people out there that didn't know this.

#8 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2018-12-10 07:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What I don't like is I have my location and all info of where I am turned off on my phone....however it still knows where I am, even though it pretends it doesn't.... I've gone through every app and turned there location functions off, so just because they are off don't think your not still tracked....remember you can't turn off 911 location and that is the leak I believe(I could be wrong)..

#9 | Posted by PinkyanTheBrain at 2018-12-11 08:10 AM | Reply

I really didn't care all that much if my iPhone knew where I was but when I checked significant locations it mistakes my house for a brew pub around the corner from me. According to Apple I've spent thousands of hours there, and well past closing time.

#10 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2018-12-11 09:05 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

And y'all were worried about the NSA.

#11 | Posted by getoffmedz at 2018-12-11 09:25 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#11 And whom do you think buys the info the most?

#12 | Posted by PinkyanTheBrain at 2018-12-11 11:08 AM | Reply

#12 - Proof??

Got some?

#13 | Posted by getoffmedz at 2018-12-11 02:34 PM | Reply

#10 you may want to write a bad review before people start showing up at your door. If you spent that much time there, it must be a great place.

#14 | Posted by autonomous at 2018-12-11 05:58 PM | Reply

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image; make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear.

#15 | Posted by 1947steamer at 2018-12-12 04:44 AM | Reply