Friday, December 07, 2018

Last night at event in Houston, former US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson went a little further in explaining why he and Trump didn't see eye to eye. Tillerson said the two had starkly different styles and did not share a common value system. "So often, the president would say here's what I want to do and here's how I want to do it and I would have to say to him, Mr. President I understand what you want to do but you can't do it that way. It violates the law," Tillerson said.

Comments

The president vowed to govern like a business leader, which very likely contributed to the dynamic Tillerson described: Trump was accustomed to simply barking orders from his private-sector perch and expecting his team to follow his instructions. When he took office and tried to do the same thing from the Oval Office, it fell to his secretary of state to explain that some of his orders simply couldn't be followed under the American system of government.

No wonder Tillerson quickly found himself marginalized and ignored.

At the same event last night, the former secretary of state told CBS News' Bob Schieffer, in reference to his White House experiences, "What was challenging for me coming from the disciplined, highly process-oriented Exxon Mobil corporation was to go to work for a man who is pretty undisciplined, doesn't like to read, doesn't read briefing reports, doesn't like to get into the details of a lot of things, but rather just kind of says, ‘This is what I believe.'"

Tillerson added, "I don't want that to come across as a criticism of him."

No, of course not. Heaven forbid.

Trump was obviously personally unfit for the office of POTUS, and not just for political reasons. In the famous words of the late Dennis Green, "(He's) exactly who we thought he was!"

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2018-12-07 11:32 AM | Reply

Looks like Rex is an angry Democrat.

#2 | Posted by Zed at 2018-12-07 12:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Trump knowingly violated laws when he was a private business owner, his bankruptcies were "smart." Why would anyone have expected differently when he became President?
The Presidency of Trump proves on thing and one thing only; there are more stupid Americans that we thought.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2018-12-07 12:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Makes me wonder what the Trump Administration will be like going forward, as Pres Trump removes more and more of the adult supervision from the White House and replaces it with people who just nod their heads in agreement.

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-12-07 03:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Trump has always flaunted the law and as Pres been more interested in loyalty than patriotism in his aides. The law is only for the little people, not the billionaires, whether one is grabbing P or obstructing justice.

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2018-12-07 04:00 PM | Reply

twitter.com

Mike Pompeo is doing a great job, I am very proud of him. His predecessor, Rex Tillerson, didn't have the mental capacity needed. He was dumb as a rock and I couldn't get rid of him fast enough. He was lazy as hell. Now it is a whole new ballgame, great spirit at State!
-- Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 7, 2018

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-12-07 04:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

I was just about to post that, Lamp. I am speechless. Trump defies belief.

#7 | Posted by cbob at 2018-12-07 04:20 PM | Reply

Poor Rex.

He warmed the globe, but he couldn't warm Trump's heart.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-12-07 04:24 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Also, the stock market is in free fall.

Heckuva president ya got there, Republicans.

#9 | Posted by cbob at 2018-12-07 04:25 PM | Reply

Rex has more competency in his pinky than Trump in his entire body.

#10 | Posted by Tor at 2018-12-07 05:03 PM | Reply

FFS. It's like Special Eddie became President.

#11 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-12-07 06:17 PM | Reply

which comports with what cohen testified to

#12 | Posted by ABlock at 2018-12-07 06:43 PM | Reply

I hate Exxon.

But, strangely I miss Tillerson. I even have found a fond spot in my heart for Georgie Bush now!

My how the worm turns.

#13 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-12-07 06:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Tillerson seems to me like the only competent executive President Trump has ever hired.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-12-07 07:00 PM | Reply

Trump said he'd be the Law and Order president.

Maybe he was just alluding to being a fan of the TV series?

#15 | Posted by woe_is_W at 2018-12-07 08:16 PM | Reply

twitter.com
-- Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 7, 2018

#6 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER AT 2018-12-07 04:05 PM | FLAG: | NEWSWORTHY 2

Where are the trumpeters?

#16 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-12-08 09:13 AM | Reply

...didn't have the mental capacity needed. He was dumb as a rock...

They why did Mr. "I only hire the best people" hire him? One of them is certainly dumb as a rock.

#17 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-12-08 10:55 AM | Reply