Tuesday, December 04, 2018

Salesforce co-CEO Marc Benioff says we must fundamentally change how we view privacy, and fight to protect it in an increasingly complicated digital era. "Facebook is the new cigarettes. ... The government has to step in and regulate it. Facebook has proven that to us over and over and over again that they need to be regulated," Benioff told CNN.

Comments

Facebook's Dunning/Kruegar Effect explained simply...

www.youtube.com

But no regulation needed as kids are dumping it in droves...

#1 | Posted by Pegasus at 2018-12-04 11:05 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"But no regulation needed as kids are dumping it in droves..."

Instagram for photos and Twitter/Reddit for news. They're not giving up the habit, just diversifying. I remember when my mom and aunts sent me friend requests. Definitely spoiled a bit of the fun. Now I have to watch what I post. My mom doesn't follow me anymore; she says my posts are too depressing.

#2 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2018-12-04 11:31 AM | Reply

Cigarettes didn't make you fat like sitting around facebooking all day does.

#3 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2018-12-04 02:11 PM | Reply

Cigarettes didn't make you fat like sitting around facebooking all day does.

#3 | POSTED BY RIGHTISTRITE

No, they just give you lung cancer. My sister died of it at 59, my favorite uncle at 63. I smoked for 35 years, but finally quit 20 years ago.

#4 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2018-12-04 03:39 PM | Reply

#2 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine

You just have to classify your followers and post to the groups you want but that's another story... This is my social media.

#5 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-12-04 07:42 PM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY WHODAMAN AT 2018-12-04 03:39 PM | FLAG: ERM NO

Smoking cigarettes increases the chances of variety of cancers... what they will definitely give you is some variety of COPD... and not the fun ones.

#6 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2018-12-05 05:15 AM | Reply

I agree with this, but I'd extend it to looking at the web on your cellphone in general.

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-12-05 05:17 AM | Reply

Ah the 80s and 90s, when the whining was about TV rotting your brain. Don't get me started on the damn radio and it's new fangled rock music.

#8 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-12-05 10:13 AM | Reply

"and it's new fangled rock music."

And the kids' hair!

Seriously...my nephew's hair looks like Patrick Mahomes.

#9 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-12-05 10:22 AM | Reply

Prominent Tech CEO: 'Facebook is the New Cigarettes'

They should make a movie... instead of cigarettes... it would be smart phones and Facebook.... it would be called...

Cold Turkey....

www.youtube.com

Actually that's a hellove and an idea... end of the movie Apple moves it's iPhone plant from China to the small town... as the camera pulls back, you see four smokestacks belching pollution, traffic jams, urban sprawl and everywhere People walking around staring down at their iPhones...

#10 | Posted by Pegasus at 2018-12-05 11:35 AM | Reply

Seriously...my nephew's hair looks like Patrick Mahomes.

#9 | POSTED BY DANFORTH AT 2018-12-05 10:22 AM | FLAG:

A moderate afro curl? I was expecting something like Teskashi 69 to pop up when I googled it.

#11 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-12-05 11:42 AM | Reply

It's all about context. In 100 years, Facebook won't be seen as anything different, if it still exists. It only has the image it currently has because we are at the infancy of social networking and Internet paradigms. People are just ridiculously short-sighted and think that Facebook is a problem because they are the majority. And in the 21st century, we all know it's popular to hate the majority of anything.

#12 | Posted by humtake at 2018-12-05 12:05 PM | Reply