Monday, December 03, 2018

An insurgent underdog no more, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders is laying the groundwork to launch a bigger presidential campaign than his first, as advisers predict he would open the 2020 Democratic presidential primary season as a political powerhouse.

Comments

I'm not sure how I feel about this, I like a lot of what he says but he will be 79 in 2020. I think he should pick a progressive (like Beto) who he can throw his weight behind and become a kingmaker instead of running again.

#1 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2018-12-03 02:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

He's the best bet the DNC has for attracting young voters. As much as they hate to admit it, he has social media influence that the rest of the potential 2020 field would kill for.

#2 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-12-03 03:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

In my opinion, Sanders is a non-starter for Dems. He served a valuable function in 2016. And he can continue to serve a valuable function by encouraging young people to remain engaged. but as a nominee, I think he is a dead end. I really do. And I wish that were not the case. We need someone newer and preferably younger. Someone intelligent without all skeletons in the closet. Someone... dare I say, virtuous.

#3 | Posted by moder8 at 2018-12-03 03:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Dems took back the House by running centrist candidates in centrist districts and Bernie candidates in blue districts.

They need some combination of both for the 2020 ticket. I'd like to see Beto or Warren or someone as VP to a left of center candidate that won't scare the Rust Belt the way Hillary did after Bernie pushed her too far left for their liking.

That was what Obama had going for him; a non-scary left of center moderation... that some libs still hate.

Older voters turn out to vote at much higher percentages than younger voters, and they tend to be more conservative or centrist or moderate.

As much as I'd like to see a completely FDR-ish policy agenda, that's still an uphill push until either the youth turns out or they grow older.

Losing to alt right Trumpers in the meantime is not any kind of Puridopian moral victory.

#4 | Posted by Corky at 2018-12-03 03:57 PM | Reply | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

People who want Trump to lose in 2020 need to remember that 2016 was not a left-right election, it was a bottom-up election.

America is now in it's Second Gilded Age, and the conditions that led to Trump losing the popular vote while winning the election still exists ...

Who's the best candidate to go against this situation? Bernie Sanders.

#5 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-12-04 07:38 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Crazy Old Joe and Just Palin Old Bernie 2020 - Sponsored by the DNC and Ensure

#6 | Posted by Spork at 2018-12-04 09:52 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Who's the best candidate to go against this situation? Bernie Sanders.
#5 | POSTED BY PINCHALOAF

I agree with your whole post, but no government was how we got the first gilded age, the second gilded age is sponsored by bigger government.

There is a thick gray line between too much and too little government....

#7 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2018-12-04 10:44 AM | Reply

He's the best bet the DNC has for attracting young voters. - IndianJones

I disagree, I believe Beto is better, he's younger, attractive, a Latino (bet in a poll most people think he is Latino), this will appeal to youth.

Perfect head piece for an out of control government.

#8 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2018-12-04 10:47 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#8 And that's exactly what traditional partisans don't understand about the youth vote; thinking millennial want the same physical traits you wish in your leaders. They don't. They actually care about policy and track record and no one has given them better reason to be excited about policy than Sanders.

#9 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-12-04 12:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Not interested in Bernie for 2020. I like a lot of his ideas, but his time has passed, and many of his followers have shown little interest in building bridges with moderates. Like them or not, they need to be part of a coalition in order to win. And I want to win.

#10 | Posted by cbob at 2018-12-04 02:36 PM | Reply