Thursday, November 22, 2018

For those of us old enough to remember, where were you at 1:40 PM EST, 54 years ago today, November 22, 1963, when the first "Breaking News" reports went out that President John F. Kennedy had been shot? I was a Junior in high school and was in Physics class when they broadcast the news over the school's PA system that the President had been shot. Now you have to realize that I grew-up in Northern Michigan and November 22nd was in the middle of deer season, and for me and several of my friends, our first thoughts were that we didn't even know Kennedy was a hunter. After all, back then, particularly during that time of year, often as not, the only news of people getting shot was due to hunting accidents. Yes, we were living a rather sheltered life being from a very small town (there were only 30 kids in my high school class) well of the so-called beaten path (the nearest movie theater was 30+ miles away).

An hour later, when the first news came that the President had died, I was in study hall and our English teacher was the one who came to the room and told us personally. She was crying so hard that she could barely get the words out. About 30 minutes later they announced that school was letting out early. Also, since it was Friday and the next week was Thanksgiving and they expected that the funeral would be sometime earlier in the week, classes were cancelled until after the Thanksgiving break. Note that I spent the next week watching the events unfold on TV, when I wasn't at work (I was a 'meat cutter' at our local grocery store and deer season was our last big chance to earn money off the tourists before they 'rolled-up the sidewalks' for the winter) or with my girlfriend, with whom I had just started to 'go steady' three weeks prior to this (we celebrated our 50th Wedding Anniversary this past June).

So, what are your stories ...

OCU

Comments

I was still in the Guf back then.

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-11-22 03:04 PM | Reply

I was still in my dad's balls.

#2 | Posted by boaz at 2018-11-22 03:21 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I had just turned 12 and had stayed home from school in Ft. Worth with my little brother that day. We were playing Army with our invisible rifles, cocking back the invisible bolts and firing at each other.

The TV was on and the noon news was showing President Kennedy and the First Lady arriving ....

www.youtube.com

I had no political leanings at that age, but my best friend's parents were Republicans and I had heard a TV commercial chant, "Nixon, Nixon, he's our man, let's put Kennedy in the garbage can!".... so I aimed my air rifle at the tv and slowly fired off 3 shots using the bolt action.

An hour later the news was back on saying that the President had been shot. I felt really bad, and then later they showed the weapon he was shot with; a bolt action rifle. I was devastated and sure that it was my fault for weeks after.

Later I remember some Texas rwingers celebrating his death. When Bobby Kennedy declared his candidacy about 5 years later, I was old enough to have political opinions, and he represented my ideals... until he too was murdered as h

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2018-11-22 03:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I had just arrived in my time machine so I could watch the first episode of Doctor Who the following day.

#4 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-11-22 03:38 PM | Reply

as had Martin Luther King been only two months earlier.

It was like the Chinese curse, to live in interesting times.

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2018-11-22 03:39 PM | Reply

17:30 is the mark in the youtube vid of Kennedy arriving

#6 | Posted by Corky at 2018-11-22 03:49 PM | Reply

I was home from school sick with tonsillitis. I remember the report coming over the radio.

#7 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2018-11-22 03:54 PM | Reply

My parents wouldn't meet each other for two decades or so.

#8 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-11-22 03:55 PM | Reply

So weird... large Texas and Confederate flags waving as the Court of Camelot is mobbed by the airport crowd, JFK shaking their hands in the last hour of his life.

#9 | Posted by Corky at 2018-11-22 03:58 PM | Reply

John and Jackie in the Lincoln car leaving with the top down because the rain had stopped and the clouds broken, headed for downtown Dallas as the tv announcer gives their exact route... past the School Book Depository.

#10 | Posted by Corky at 2018-11-22 04:04 PM | Reply

Not so weird. Democrats are the party of the KKK and the Confederacy that's their legacy.

#11 | Posted by visitor_ at 2018-11-22 04:37 PM | Reply

Where was I roughly 20 years prior to being born?

That's a deeply philosophical question.

Do we believe in reincarnation? Where do souls come from? Is there a purpose to life? Are we here for a reason? Is it all just chaos and we're seeking an answer to comfort ourselves while we live?

#12 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-11-22 04:43 PM | Reply

- Democrats are the party of the KKK and the Confederacy

Living in the Past... Jethro Tull

#13 | Posted by Corky at 2018-11-22 04:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#14 | Posted by 1947steamer at 2018-11-22 05:07 PM | Reply

I remember that day well. They had just arrested Hillary Clinton as the second shooter at the grassy knoll. Aristotle Onassis set up the hit because he had a crush on Jackie. JBL was cool with it because he wanted to be the next POTUS. Let's face it,if it hadn't been for the Kennedy assassination, the Bowling Green massacre and the Kent State shootings wouldn't have jumped off the way it did. Yeah, I remember it quite well.

#15 | Posted by MisterCarajo at 2018-11-22 05:51 PM | Reply

"Democrats are the party of the KKK and the Confederacy..." - #11 | Posted by visitor_ at 2018-11-22 04:37 PM

There were no recognized political parties in the Confederate States of America. Most Southerners, including Confederate President Jefferson Davis, opposed political parties, considering them to be a corruption of the principles of republican government.

source

Oops.

#16 | Posted by Hans at 2018-11-22 06:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Where was I roughly 20 years prior to being born?
That's a deeply philosophical question.

Yeah seriously. We were just dirty thoughts in our parents minds at that point. But where were our souls at that point in time? Were we on earth, chillin in Shangri'la?

#17 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-11-22 06:36 PM | Reply

Three Great Men Died That Day: JFK, C.S. Lewis, and Aldous Huxley

On November 22, 1963, three towering figures of the 20th century died. John F. Kennedy is the one that we all remember, but let's consider the others.

#18 | Posted by Hans at 2018-11-22 06:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I was in 3rd grade class at Floral Avenue Elementary in Bartow, Florida. Two hours later I was just getting on my bike for the ride home when Doug Smith, a classmate and son of the owner of Bartow Ford, told me he was in the front office and heard them talking about how the president was killed. When I got home about 10 minutes later mom was glued to the television and the reality unfolding there.

In my mind's eye it is just like it was yesterday.

#19 | Posted by Hans at 2018-11-22 06:58 PM | Reply

"I was a senior in high school...walked into home room and some girls were crying"

They must have been even sadder when they heard about Kennedy.

#20 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-11-22 07:45 PM | Reply

Hey Hans after the Confederacy was defeated does your source say what was the predominate party of Southern Whites? What about the KKK? You're pathetic. Just own the racist roots of the Democrats.

#21 | Posted by visitor_ at 2018-11-22 07:46 PM | Reply

I also had been kept home sick from third grade that day and was watching TV reaching to change the channel when my dad walked in the living room and said don't change that and it was Walter and I spent the next several days glued to the tube. I've spent a lifetime thinking I saw live coverage of the shooting, but it seems that footage of the CBS camera going out of control was shown later at some point, though I lived the whole chain of events like acid etchings. Oddly enough, I also watched the entire Watergate hearings as part of my job in the military.

#22 | Posted by grumpy_too at 2018-11-22 07:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Hey Hans after the Confederacy was defeated does your source say what was the predominate party of Southern Whites?" - #21 | Posted by visitor_ at 2018-11-22 07:46 PM

Southern whites.

And male.

And Christian.

I do believe that you've found the common denominators. (Hint: It isn't political party.)

"Just own the racist roots of the Democrats."

And just how does the largest minority in America - African Americans - feel about that?

In 2012 Americans went to the polls to re-elect President Obama (only the 4th president since the First World War to be elected and then re-elected with a majority of the votes cast).

In that election:

93% of African-American voters voted for the Democratic candidate;

I suggest you try to live in the now. Otherwise, well, you just come across as stupid.

#23 | Posted by Hans at 2018-11-22 08:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

"What about the KKK?" - #21 | Posted by visitor_ at 2018-11-22 07:46 PM

You cannot cite a single, official Democratic Party document, resolution or motion, recognized and/or sanctioned by a state or the national Democratic Party, that establishes or supports any chapter of the Ku Klux Klan.

And while it is an indisputable fact that the KKK has been involved in politics throughout its existence, its involvement was bipartisan (see: the absolute control that D.C. Stevenson and the KKK had over the Indiana Republican Party and its elected officials, including the governor, in the 1920s).

You're welcome.

#24 | Posted by Hans at 2018-11-22 08:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#21 | Posted by visitor_

Yeah, you can tell by the ongoing strong control of the south by the democrats and the republican power in the northeast states.

#25 | Posted by truthhurts at 2018-11-22 08:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

I was a little more than two years old. My mother crying about JFK's assassination is probably my earliest memory.

#26 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2018-11-22 09:09 PM | Reply

My parents hadn't even met yet so...

#27 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-11-22 10:05 PM | Reply

NRA's Fault!

#28 | Posted by Greatamerican at 2018-11-23 04:14 AM | Reply

I was in the ether

#29 | Posted by hamburglar at 2018-11-23 07:58 AM | Reply

I was eight years old. School was let out early right after lunch. That was part of the civil defense plan for our area. Shepard AFB was a SAC Base at the time. I didn't hear that Kennedy had died till that evening. I saw it on the evening news.

#30 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-11-23 09:20 AM | Reply

I was four years from being born in Dallas.

My parents, also from Dallas, were teens and didn't know each other on Nov. 22, 1963. They were both were on the motorcade route and saw JFK go by.

Mom was part of a big Catholic family. She and a bunch of classmates had just gotten back to their car when they heard the news.

Dad said he was at Main and Houston streets, the second to last turn the motorcade took before the shooting. He said you could look right down Houston from his corner and see the school book depository. He never understood why, if Oswald was in that sixth-floor perch, he wouldn't have taken the shot while the car was still on Houston.

He loved to watch JFK documentaries. Some of the last days I spent with him were at his house, watching them and talking endlessly about the subject.

#31 | Posted by rcade at 2018-11-23 09:40 AM | Reply

Just own the racist roots of the Democrats.

We'll do that when you own the racist present of the Republicans.

#32 | Posted by rcade at 2018-11-23 09:42 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 7

I was sitting in class, 7th grade parochial school, nun came in crying. Quite a few of the racists in my class cheered. I hope they are all dead now, I hated them from that moment to this moment. We cried for the next week.

#33 | Posted by danni at 2018-11-23 10:11 AM | Reply

Too young to remember JFK, but I remember Apollo fire, MLK and RFK.

#34 | Posted by visitor_ at 2018-11-23 11:18 AM | Reply

I'm a 79 baby but this has always fascinated me. We are capable of terrible things. I believe that most cons believe that their "2nd ammendment people" will only ever target progressive people, so they encourage them out loud, knowing that we all remember the things our "2nd ammendment people" are capable of. With the loosening of domestic terror laws, combined with the placement of supremacists at every level of power, we're bound to see more political violence every day. The best we can do is to plan for a time post Trump, when we can begin healing again and strengthening our country as a whole.

#35 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-11-23 12:02 PM | Reply

Working behind the parts counter at an electronics store in Pasadena, CA. We sold tiny battery-powered Japanese radios and 9 volt batteries until the store ran out to crying and frightened people.

#36 | Posted by getoffmedz at 2018-11-23 12:08 PM | Reply

#37 | Posted by visitor_ at 2018-11-23 01:15 PM | Reply

Uh, no, but screaming that you are racist makes us feel so much better about ourselves!

-the DR Left

#38 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-11-23 01:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#37 |

The Dear Leader of the GOP, and many of it's other leaders, use racial dog whistles and outright racist rhetoric to inflame their donor's proxy voter base and bring them to the polls.

When the main motivation of Trump voters, as they said in exit polls and studies, was to maintain their majority status as whites, claims that that isn't racist are just blubbering denials.

www.nytimes.com

#39 | Posted by Corky at 2018-11-23 01:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

The lessons that Dolt 45 learned from his Klansman father served him well as he became the porcine face of the racist GOP.

#40 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2018-11-23 02:36 PM | Reply

"I suppose you cite at least one, official Republican Party document, resolution or motion, recognized and/or sanctioned by a state or the national Republican Party, that establishes or supports racism?" - #37 | Posted by visitor_ at 2018-11-23 01:15 PM

You suppose right:

"...but you also had people that were very fine people, on both sides. You had people in that group." - Official Republican White House transcript
You're welcome.

#41 | Posted by Hans at 2018-11-23 02:46 PM | Reply

Democrats are the party of the KKK and the Confederacy that's their legacy.

#11 | Posted by visitor

Only to historically illiterate morons.

#42 | Posted by jpw at 2018-11-23 04:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

-the DR Left

#38 | Posted by Rightocenter

Actions speak louder than words.

#43 | Posted by jpw at 2018-11-23 04:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Only to historically illiterate morons.

#42 | POSTED BY JPW A

Ever seen the meme where the guy's brain is so big it goes down his back and he's sitting on it?

That's the image that pops in my head every time someone posts that Hitler was a socialist that democrats are the KKK.

Pretty fart smellers.

#44 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2018-11-23 10:39 PM | Reply

#33 | POSTED BY DANNI AT 2018-11-23 10:11 AM |

Real classy. I bet you don't regret saying anything as a teenager? you have no idea how any of these classmates turned out.

#45 | Posted by byrdman at 2018-11-24 12:20 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

you have no idea how any of these classmates turned out.

They all got butt cancer and died.

Please. More feigned outrage. It's delicious.

#46 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-11-24 04:06 AM | Reply

"you have no idea how any of these classmates turned out."

Sure, but if they were the type to cheer out loud rather than just celebrate quietly in their heads that's probably a fairly decent indicator for how they developed over the years. Not even in my most selfish and indifferent to the experience of others Reagan worshipping teenage years would I have been so disrespectful as to celebrate the death of a President or other politician that did not share my politics. Plus the priests in my Catholic school would have made me regret it immediately.

#47 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2018-11-24 09:09 AM | Reply

10th grade 11 miles south of JFK Brookline homestead. We got dismissed via PA announcement about 1:30 because "JFK had been shot". Thought it odd since 2:30 was scheduled dismissal time. About half-way home, Mrs Carlson came out to her husband tending to produce on the sidewalk outside their store and cried JFK had died.

Got to watch his death and Oswald's many many times in next few days. When LHO got killed, said to myself "----! Now we'll never know the whole story'.

And we don't.