Sunday, November 25, 2018

Canada currently has 76 F-18 aircraft and more than 1,450 personnel contributing to the country's fighter capability. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government cancelled the purchase of new F-35 fighter jets when it came to power in 2015, and then scrapped its own backstop for an interim fleet of 18 Super Hornets amid a trade spat with Boeing, before settling on 18 used Australian F-18s. The nation currently has only 64 percent of the trained pilots it needs to effectively enforce Canada's sovereignty and respond quickly to threats, as well as take part in international operations with allies. In the two years to March 2018, the Royal Canadian Air Force lost 40 trained fighter pilots and produced only 30 new ones. Since then, an additional 17 fighter pilots have left or stated their intention to leave.

Comments

They're not for home defense. Canadian fighters have a storied history fighting everywhere but Canada.

#1 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-11-23 10:41 AM | Reply

Canadian fighters have a storied history fighting everywhere but Canada.

Canadian fighter aircraft blew the Indian Airforce out of the sky in two wars. The Indians knew everything they needed to know about the F-86 Sabre used by the Pakistan Airforce... except for one little detail. These were Canadian Sabres not American. Shorter fuselage by a few inches and extra engine power... enough to give the other pilot a nasty surprise.

Wiki:

The last Sabre to be manufactured by Canadair (Sabre #1815), after being donated by the Pakistan Air Force, is now part of the permanent collection in the Western Canada Aviation Museum (WCAM) in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

screenshotscdn.firefoxusercontent.com

The last aerial encounter of 1971 War turned out to be a dogfight between a supersonic MIG-21 and the relatively slow and much older F-86 Sabre. The F-86 flown by Flight Lieutenant Maqsood Amir emerged as the victor and the Indian Mig-21 pilot Flight Lieutenant Tejwant Singh who ejected after being hit, was taken prisoner.

#2 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-23 11:12 AM | Reply

Sure, but that was when Canada was defending the Commonwealth.
That is over.
NATO participation is the only reason Canada might need fighters.
Low cost drones are the way to go in the future.
No point in fighting the last war.

#3 | Posted by bored at 2018-11-23 11:33 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Drones don't operate without air superiority.

#4 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-11-23 03:03 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

Two oceans and a thousand miles of frozen tundra make a pretty good wall.

As does the US on your southern border.

#5 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-11-23 03:26 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#12 Canada can't afford air superiority.
If it is attacked by an air power it will have to surrender.
There are only two countries that can do that and they also have nukes.

Canada doesn't need pilots, it needs diplomats.

#6 | Posted by bored at 2018-11-23 05:18 PM | Reply

As does the US on your southern border.

There is also the teeny tiny fact that if Canada is ever in serious trouble, it would be BECAUSE of the US.

Somehow.

It's what we Americans do.... we create a pile of poo and then ask others to dance around it. We are very good at it too.

#7 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-23 10:49 PM | Reply

Donnie will build Canada a wall

#8 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-11-24 03:10 AM | Reply

Canada is a part of NORAD. They have a responsibility in this.

This is what happens when you start thinking you wont be attacked militarily because the human condition is inherently "good".

#9 | Posted by boaz at 2018-11-24 11:00 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Canada gets nothing out of NORAD, it should quit. Why subsidize US defense while the US declares them a security threat.
Canada can use its navy to defend its coastal areas against Russia, but if Russia wants to nuke Canada, Canada can't stop them militarily.
Russia isn't "good", but there is no benefit to Russia for nuking Canada.
Why would Canada spend money to defend the USA? Canada First!

#10 | Posted by bored at 2018-11-24 11:41 AM | Reply

Canada is fine. Morons try to create controversy but Canada is probably the safest nation on the planet to live in. I sort of wish I did but damn it gets cold there.

#2 | Posted by danni

Thanks to the USA umbrella.

#11 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-11-24 02:57 PM | Reply

Two words for you, Danni: British Columbia.

#4 | Posted by Hans

Wrong again hands............... BC has not so cold abnd damn cold depending on where you are at. You can't seem to get anything right.

#12 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-11-24 02:59 PM | Reply

#12 | Posted by sitzkrieg

It won't be long until none of the jets are piloted from in the cockpit. It will be kids with a video game. Ace gets shot down? Switch him to the next drone...

#13 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-11-25 07:18 PM | Reply

Coastal areas of British Columbia are not extremely cold in the winter but wet, very wet. But, almost all Canadians are snow birds and migrate south starting about November. I think the only ones left are those that are needed to keep the lights on. As far as there AF goes, funding is pretty weak. I don't think it was that long ago they needed to bail out their military units that were being held hostage for shipping payments.
www.nytimes.com

#14 | Posted by Badcat at 2018-11-26 12:18 AM | Reply

Canada is a part of NORAD. They have a responsibility in this.

It hurts me to agree with BOAZ but he is right.

Canada has a responsibility which it is not taking seriously.

Canadians are either mega-idiots, incompetent or just plain cowards. Sorry to say.

#15 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-26 12:59 AM | Reply

Thanks to the USA umbrella.

#19 | POSTED BY SNIPER AT 2018-11-24 02:57 PM | FLAG:

Prove it, moron.

#16 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-26 01:30 AM | Reply

#17 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2018-11-24 11:00 AM | FLAG:

Who thinks that, exactly?

#17 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-26 01:31 AM | Reply

DIRK

"Who thinks that, exactly"

Well, there are a few: blog.trover.com ~ Probably one of these if you're a rock climber. ~ LOL

#18 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-11-26 01:46 AM | Reply

Thanks for the link, Twin! Great stuff, I'd imagine some of them have a less positive view of human nature if they go to such trouble to withdraw from the world.

#19 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-26 01:51 AM | Reply

Prove it, moron.

Nobody needs to prove it.

Canada is alive because of the US nuclear umbrella. There are no ifs or buts about it.

#20 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-26 01:56 AM | Reply

"Nobody needs to prove it."

He needs to prove it.

#21 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-26 02:09 AM | Reply

No he doesn't need to prove anything you cry-baby Canadian.

The US provides Canada a nuclear umbrella. Fact.

Canada does not give ANYTHING back to match that level of protection. Fact.

#22 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-26 02:28 AM | Reply

"No he doesn't need to prove anything."

Sure he does.

"Canada does not give ANYTHING back to match that level of protection. Fact."

Not fact. Opinion.

Who are you again?

#23 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-26 02:37 AM | Reply

Sure he does.

OK then. Try and make him cough up a link or two with your Canadian whining.

Let me know how it goes.

Who are you again?

Your Atomic Daddy from the South.

#24 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-26 02:44 AM | Reply

"OK then. Try and make him cough up a link or two"

If he doesn't, anyone reading will reject his claims... as they do yours, idiot.

"Your Atomic Daddy from the South."

Is that your prison name?

#25 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-26 03:34 AM | Reply

If he doesn't, anyone reading will reject his claims

Nobody is going to reject that the US has nukes and that it protects it pathetic northern neighbor.

Find me someone who sez otherwise. You won't. LOL

#26 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-26 03:55 AM | Reply

"Nobody is going to reject"

An unsourced claim? Wrong, buffoon. Dead wrong.

#27 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-26 03:57 AM | Reply

Poor Tremain. Stupid and mentally weak, he cannot defend even his most fundamental claims.

#28 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-26 04:01 AM | Reply

It's so cute a Canadian stands on his toes and yells "We don't need America's nuclear umbrella!"

LOL

Canadians will always be dependent on the US for their defense.

FACT.

Don't like it? Do something to make your country stronger instead of running your mouth here. LOL

#29 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-26 04:41 AM | Reply

An unsourced claim?

Hey everyone! Look at this Canadian.

He is claiming that the US having nukes is "An unsourced claim". That the US provides nuclear protection to Canada is also "An unsourced claim". hahahahahahahahahahaha

I think we are done here. LOL

Carry on, Idiot.

#30 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-26 04:44 AM | Reply

Still no source or argument from idiot Tremain? Guess I win.

#31 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-26 04:59 AM | Reply

Guess I win.

Yes you do.

I crown you King of DumDum Land.

#32 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-26 06:59 AM | Reply

Whevever was our military used to protect us? Virtually never in my lifetime. It has been used often though to go f up some other nation for no good reason. 9-11....invade Iraq. Brilliant strategy. It nearly succeeded in privatizing SS which was the real purpose of it. 9-11 was Saudi Arabia and our leaders still can't admit it but most of us know the truth even though our leaders lie to us about it. Every dollar spent, every life lost in Iraq was wasted for nothing and the real culprits are still there laughing in our faces.

#33 | Posted by danni at 2018-11-26 06:59 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#21 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE AT 2018-11-25 07:18 PM | FLAG:

Kinda, but not really. Humans won't be piloting at all. Even our best pilots, on the best meth they're allowed to take, can't beat a simple dogfighting algorithm when piloting equal aircraft, even starting with the advantage. Once sensors and processing catch up, people won't even be flying them by remote. AI will task AI to defend airspace, no human intervention required. AI will task other AI to crawl along the ocean bottoms and shoot upwards at submarines like they were WW1 zeppelins.

#34 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-11-26 07:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Bin Laden chose to hide in Afghanistan Afghanistan decided they wouldn't relinquish him.

#35 | Posted by Tor at 2018-11-26 12:43 PM | Reply

Canada can't scrape up enough people to fight America's wars. Yet Donnie is disrespectful to them at every turn.

Welcome to the new America.

#36 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-11-26 12:55 PM | Reply

#42 That is exactly right. Which is why Canada should give up on pilots and move to the future. Pilots will only be useful for another 20 years of so.

#37 | Posted by bored at 2018-11-26 03:21 PM | Reply

#37 There is no nuclear umbrella for anyone. There is just the threat of retaliation, and the slim chance to shot down nukes.

Canada gets nothing from US nukes, other than the possibility of intercepted warheads raining down on it when Russia or China has a nuke fight with the US.

You could argue that Russia won't invade Canada only because the US has nukes, but that is what Canada needs a navy for (and spy satellites and drones, but not fighter jets with pilots). Russia has much more important targets to think about than Canada. Canada faces no threat that US nukes help with.

That argument makes sense for China against Taiwan or Japan or the Philipines, etc, but not Russia against Canada.

But, I could see why Canada might want its own nukes to keep a closer threat cautious.

#38 | Posted by bored at 2018-11-26 03:31 PM | Reply

Canada had nukes and voted to get rid of them. If we wanted them we could produce them in a little more than 4 months.Pakistan however needs nukes to protect themselves from India and when it comes to quality of life Pakistan can't even break the top 90 countries.If the day ever comes when Pakistan uses a nuke the radiation will poison there own people.In the meanwhile money that could be used to improve quality life is wasted.I could be biased though since I have never met anyone who wanted to move to Pakistan just people who left it for a better life elsewhere.

#39 | Posted by Scotty at 2018-11-26 04:36 PM | Reply

Canada is in NATO, so we are obligated by NATO to come to their aid if attacked. they never had a nuclear weapon officially.

#40 | Posted by Badcat at 2018-11-26 05:20 PM | Reply

#48 Oh you think obligations still matter in Trumpland. Canada First. Dump NATO and Norad, they do nothing for Canada.

#41 | Posted by bored at 2018-11-26 05:54 PM | Reply

Trumplomacy is transactional, relationships don't matter.

#42 | Posted by bored at 2018-11-26 05:56 PM | Reply

Canada had nukes

LOL.... no.

If we wanted them we could produce them in a little more than 4 months

Ummm... no.

You need a spine for that.

Sez a leech from Canada.

If there were no USA, Canada would be little more than Greenland. A total waste.

money that could be used to improve quality life is wasted.

Nukes are actually the cheapest bang for the buck.

But it's not something a pooteen eater will get.

I have never met anyone who wanted to move to Pakistan

I have. LOL

#43 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-26 11:18 PM | Reply

Canada is in NATO, so we are obligated by NATO

The same NATO that ran out of Afghanistan, leaving the US to go it alone?

I believe Canada was the very first to bug out.

So much for NATO sticking together....

#44 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-26 11:21 PM | Reply

I believe Canada was the very first to bug out.

Link or stink.

#45 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-11-26 11:29 PM | Reply

#46 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-11-26 11:31 PM | Reply

Good good.

You are old enough to google on your own.

Or you can ask an American to do it for you. LOL

#47 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-26 11:51 PM | Reply

"Actually don't bother. It's too late for a bunch of goalpost moving deflections."

That's ------- MO: Lie, and when caught, blame YOU for not being able to google his lie.

#48 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-11-26 11:55 PM | Reply

All countries that I know of have a pilot shortage, both fighter and otherwise. In the US, a fighter pilot can get up at to $550K bonus to keep flying. In AUS, they recruit aviators from other nations to fly for with the RAAF. A part of that is they can avoid training new pilots, but part of it is because fewer people want to fly military aircraft nowadays.

#49 | Posted by madbomber at 2018-11-27 01:00 AM | Reply

Ah yes.... you couldn't Google something I claimed. I wouldn't do it for you because.. why should I make life easier for you?

And then when someone else CONFIRMED that I was not lying, you felt like you got slapped in the face and you haven't been able to move on since. LOL

Whatever....

#50 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-27 01:12 AM | Reply

" wouldn't do it for you because.. why should I make life easier for you?"

That's not what you claimed, liar. You said you weren't going to provide a link to your claim because you didn't like me. It's your basic MO when you're caught.

Or are you going to tell Speak you don't like him either, and pretend that's how it's done on the internet?

"you couldn't Google something I claimed."

Things that don't exist can't be found. You're a liar, from a land where lying is part of the culture.

#51 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-11-27 01:16 AM | Reply

When people throw fake info at my face about Islam (for example) or history in general, I always disprove it by giving a counter-link or by pure logic or by showing something even worse. Or I simply don't give a frak.

When I can do it, anyone can... unless you're from Canada or your name is DANFORTH. LOL

My job is not to inform you or educate you (unless I want to). My job is not to help you do a google search. My job is to show you how ridiculous you are.

#52 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-27 01:17 AM | Reply

"Ah yes.... "

Interesting: I addressed the post to ------, and Tremain answered....

#53 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-11-27 01:17 AM | Reply

"I always disprove it by giving a counter-link"

When all you can do is lie, all you do is lie.

"My job is to show you how ridiculous you are."

Which you could've done...with a single link. Instead, you refused to prove anything, and specifically told me it was because you don't like me. As if that's how it works in the DR world.

You didn't have any link then, and you don't have any link now. What a laughable putz.

#54 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-11-27 01:20 AM | Reply

That's not what you claimed, liar.

That is EXACTLY what I claimed. You were not prepared to listen.

That too.

You came at me with an attitude. Like now.

Stop being a sore loser and move along.

Things that don't exist can't be found.

In your case, the other guy (LEFTANDTHIRD or whatever his name is) found it just fine in 5 minutes flat. He backed me up.

Too bad for you.

#55 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-27 01:20 AM | Reply

I addressed the post to ------, and Tremain answered....

I know full well you are talking to me using a name that is going to get censored anyway. LOL

#56 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-27 01:21 AM | Reply

If I was married to you I might care. But I am not married to you. So there.

As if that's how it works in the DR world.

It does work that way. It's still working that way right at this moment. LOL

#57 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-27 01:25 AM | Reply

"That is EXACTLY what I claimed"

More lies from the liar.

"You came at me with an attitude."

BFD. That doesn't relieve a poster of proof when -------- is called.

"(LEFTANDTHIRD or whatever his name is) found it just fine in 5 minutes flat."

No he didn't. You pretended back then, too, and you were just as full of ---- as you are now.

"Too bad for you."

Are you nuts? I'm laughing my ass off at you. You keep lying, and thinking anyone actually believes you.

#58 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-11-27 01:25 AM | Reply

"I'm afraid I don't need to prove anything to you because I don't care what you think."

Thanks for proving you're not worth anyone's time. Good night.

#59 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-11-27 01:26 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

bla bla bla butt hurt bla bla

...yawn.....

#60 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-27 01:34 AM | Reply

Is rigel out here still embarrassing Islam?

#61 | Posted by Tor at 2018-11-27 01:36 AM | Reply

TOR

"Is rigel out here still embarrassing Islam?"

Perhaps. I've been suspicious of SEKAKAI since he first showed up.

I don't know what precautions RCADE takes to prevent a banned poster from opening another account. Seems to me there should be a "Watch List" embedded in his software.

#62 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-11-27 07:22 AM | Reply

#63 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-11-27 07:22 AM | Reply

#64 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-27 08:21 AM | Reply

Maybe

#65 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-27 08:21 AM | Reply

Oh hell... Who gives a frak.....

What were we talking about again???

#66 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-27 08:22 AM | Reply

SITZ

The last time he tried it (that I know about), he called himself AFTERMATH or some such thing.

#67 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-11-27 11:03 AM | Reply

Well, well, well . . . TREMAIN got himself exiled. At least until Dec. 18th. I wonder how that happened?

#68 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-11-28 01:54 AM | Reply