Wednesday, November 21, 2018

A few days ago, Raymond "Ray" Barron Chavez turned 106. He's not the world's oldest person, not by a long shot. Still, 106 is a very long time on the planet. But Ray's story is far more than that of a centenarian. Ray, a Mexican-American born of immigrant parents, who worked in California fruit and vegetable fields as a young man, is the oldest living survivor of Pearl Harbor. Ray served on the USS Condor and was one of the very first sailors to spy the enemy submarine. His story is chilling. In the 1920's and '30s, a young Raymond Chavez worked in the fields near San Bernadino, California. His Mexican immigrant parents died young; his mother, he said, of exhaustion and his father, perhaps from untreated cancer, As a young man, Ray married and had a small family. When Ray was 27, he joined the Navy.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Sunset and evening star ... and one clear call for me. And may there be no moaning of the bar when I put out to sea ... I know I'll see my pilot face to face when I have crossed the bar."

Bon voyage, sailor. Well done. You've been transferred to Supreme Headquarters. RIP Ray Chavez, the oldest surviving veteran of Pearl Harbor, died Wednesday in California at the age of 106.

Comments

To paraphrase a US president who isn't Obama: "I like Pearl Harbor survivors who aren't dead."

#1 | Posted by censored at 2018-11-21 10:36 PM | Reply

Speaking of Pearl Harbor, I can highly recommend the book "All the Gallant Men: An American Sailor's Firsthand Account of Pearl Harbor", by Donald Stratton, who, at the time that this book was published, which was in 2016, was one of only five survivors from the USS Arizona who was still alive and the only survivor to write a book about his experiences.

OCU

#2 | Posted by OCUser at 2018-11-22 12:24 AM | Reply

Fair winds and following seas, we have the watch shipmate

#3 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-11-22 01:27 AM | Reply

RIP

#4 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2018-11-22 05:59 AM | Reply

Donald Trump would have prevented that hero from being a birthright citizen. Think about that Gracie. I appreciate you posting this, I respect your honorable intentions but the irony is just to large to ignore.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2018-11-22 07:32 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#5 Just like you. Go eat your $7 box of cereal you hypocrite. Or better yet, get a life. Is it not boring following me like a love sick puppy dog on every thread I post? It bores me for heavens sake.

#6 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2018-11-22 08:21 AM | Reply

"Or better yet, get a life. Is it not boring following me like a love sick puppy dog on every thread I post? It bores me for heavens sake."

Are you kidding me? You didn't even post in this thread. You honestly think I give a crap about you? Get over yourself moron.
And, apparently you're still trying to continue that discussion about prices rising, sorry stupid, prices are rising. Taste reality for a moment, gas prices aren't food prices. My company just dropped a major manufacturer because of 30% price increases. We just ordered items from China but had to be sure to get them in before the end of the year or else face 25% tariffs. You don't know what you are talking about and just make a fool of yourself when you pretend that you do.
Hey Gracie, unlike others I probably won't plonk you but you really do need to know what you are talking about before you make a fool of yourself again.

#7 | Posted by danni at 2018-11-22 08:32 AM | Reply

And BTW Gracie, why would any moron bring up that same discussion in a thread, you posted, about a 106 year old Pearl Harbor veteran? Huh? You really are sort of a sick puppy.

#8 | Posted by danni at 2018-11-22 08:35 AM | Reply

I posted the thread and like every thread I post the same three people follow me, you being on of them. It's sad.

#9 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2018-11-22 08:59 AM | Reply

I have 2 threads on the front page Danni you are posting your bitterness in both of them. Move on, let it go, open your own threads. It's like Fatal Attraction around here.

#10 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2018-11-22 09:01 AM | Reply

Your gate keeping and territoriality about people posting on your threads would be adorable... if you were six years old maybe. Once you click publish, the thread doesn't belong to you. Just take it as a compliment that regulars find your topics or opinions interesting enough to comment on, whether they agree with them or not.

#11 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2018-11-22 09:25 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE AT 2018-11-22 09:25 AM | REPLY

It's Gracie dear. What do you expect?? She has issues that are multiplying.

#12 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-11-22 09:30 AM | Reply

Well that tantrum didn't last long, sadly. Troll #2 has arrived.

#13 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2018-11-22 09:46 AM | Reply

#11 I would agree with you but the posters I speak about offer nothing but hate and insults. It's boring and predictable. Two of the five are on both of my threads already. Point out what their opinions are on the subject posted. Perhaps I missed them. I look forward to you impute. And happy Thanksgiving.

#14 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2018-11-22 09:49 AM | Reply

A plane crashed on the border or US and Canada. Where do they bury the survivors?

#15 | Posted by visitor_ at 2018-11-22 10:13 AM | Reply

Where do they bury the survivors?

#15 | POSTED BY VISITOR_

Up your butt?

Happy T day, you visiting 🦃

#16 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-11-22 12:55 PM | Reply

I can just feel the love ❤️ up in here.... lol

Great story btw.

RIP

#17 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-11-22 01:37 PM | Reply

These guys were losers because they took too long avenging Pearl Harbor.

~ Cadet Bone Spurs ~

#18 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2018-11-22 08:59 PM | Reply

Survivors don't need to be buried.

After Gracie is buried, someone should analyze her brain to understand how it's survived so long without oxygen. That's the only way to explain her posts.

#19 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2018-11-23 09:54 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Mexican immigrant parents? Build the wall! Build the wall!

#20 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2018-11-23 03:27 PM | Reply