Monday, November 19, 2018

What started as a peaceful march in Tijuana Sunday turned tense as hundreds of anti-caravan protesters marched to a shelter where Honduran migrants were staying. Protesters threw beer cans at riot police who blocked their entrance to the shelter as the crowd shouted, "Hondurans get out, we don't want you here," around noon in Tijuana's Zona Norte.

Organizers said the event, which began around 9 a.m., was not necessarily anti-migrant but anti-invasion. "Legal migration, yes -- illegal invasions, no," said organizer Fidel Ernesto Gonzalez Hernandez. "That is our message."

More than 1,000 demonstrators showed up. Many wore Mexican soccer jerseys, waved Mexican flags, and sang the Mexican anthem. Children carried signs that read, "Mexico first," and "No more caravans."

The demonstrators' main gripe with the Central American caravan is that the migrants are undocumented, therefore residents do not know how many members of the caravan have criminal records and may pose a threat.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

"I'm not of the opinion that all of them should leave," said Tijuana resident Veronica Esquivel, 45. "I think that the criminals should be deported, and the ones who want to stay or go to the United States should do so legally."

Also on Friday, Tijuana Mayor Juan Manuel Gastelum criticized the migrants' behavior.

"Supposedly they are fleeing catastrophe, mistreatment in their countries of origin," he said. "How is it possible that they arrive here and, if they want, create disorder?"

Comments

Why do the residents of Tijuana hate brown people?

-The Left

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-11-19 01:00 PM | Reply

Wow.

Two fearmongering threads about immigrants in 45 minutes?!

You've really got some hate to push.

#2 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-11-19 01:02 PM | Reply

It looks like one of my plonked ankle-biters is busy stalking me this morning...

#3 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-11-19 01:05 PM | Reply

Don't worry Righto

The US is processing them in - 100 ppl/day. At that rate the whole caravan will be in our country within 3 months.

#4 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-11-19 01:07 PM | Reply

I'm not at all worried about the ones who want to enter legally with legit asylum claims, it is the rest of them, as TJ is recognizing, that are not legit that are the problem.

#5 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-11-19 01:23 PM | Reply

Hmmm.. Before these Mexican nationalists worry so much about how many of the Honduran refugees might be criminals, shouldn't they do something about the thousands killed or kidnapped by their own Mexican cartels?

www.wsj.com

#6 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2018-11-19 01:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Desperate deflection noted.

#7 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-11-19 02:40 PM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

That "desperate deflection" is used regularly by you rightwingnuts except its mass murderers compared to black on black violence.

#8 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-11-19 02:41 PM | Reply

I'm not at all worried

Based on the number of threads your created on the subject.

The number of posts you've written on the caravan.

And the excrement in your depends.

You're not only worried. You're scared.

And you want everyone as frightened of these immigrants as you are.

But. No one cares. Except xenophobes.

#9 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-11-19 02:45 PM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

You must not understand how this site works.

You're free to post what ever asinine bullshht you desire. And we get to call you out on your garbage.

Plonking me because I shove your face in your shht doesn't prevent me from responding to you.

It prevents you from having to face reality.

And get your wittle fee fees hurt.

Enjoy your safe space.

Snowflake.

#10 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-11-19 02:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#3 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER AT 2018-11-19 01:05 PM | FLAG:

Funny how you plonk people and yet always seem to know what they are saying... it is almost like your plonking them is an excuse to selectively ignore them and engage in drive by posting.

#11 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-19 02:54 PM | Reply

Wow, it looks like my ankle biter brigade is out in force...looks like I touched a nerve.

#12 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-11-19 02:58 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#12 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER AT 2018-11-19 02:58 PM | FLAG:

Thanks for proving my point, stupid!

#13 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-19 03:01 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

--#13 | Posted by DirkStruan

Let me explain how this works, Che. If one sees missing posts one can assume they came from plonkees. No math required.

#14 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-11-19 03:04 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

LMAO, Fortune Cookie Lenin hasn't figured that out yet?

Here's another pro-tip Comrade...if I post something and then you, Clowny and IdiotJones show up under Recent Posts on the same topic, I figure that my post has made my ankles delicious and you can't resist the urge to nibble without saying anything substantive other than to complain that I have plonked you.

TFF

#15 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-11-19 03:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#14 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN AT 2018-11-19 03:04 PM | FLAG:

And to show just how committed they are to ignoring the plonkee, they respond to them nonstop! Makes perfect sense, eh Dulli?

#16 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-19 03:14 PM | Reply

"Here's another pro-tip Comrade...if I post something and then you, Clowny and IdiotJones show up under Recent Posts on the same topic, I panic and post some angry rant as I work myself into a tizzy wondering what you said about me!"

FTFY, Rightostupid

#17 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-19 03:16 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Desperate deflection noted.

#7 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

I'll remember that next time some con complains that we should help homeless vets before we help refugees.. while con's still do nothing to help homeless vets.

#18 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2018-11-19 04:32 PM | Reply

Second deflection noted.

Anything to say about the current topic, or is it too scary for you to touch?

#19 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-11-19 04:39 PM | Reply

He plonked me? He always did give off the stench of being a -------------- bitch, now his snowflakery is confirmed.

#20 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-11-19 04:47 PM | Reply

--Second deflection noted.

The don't-enforce-the-borders lobby is having a difficult time figuring out how to spin this; after all the time invested in telling heart-warming stories about Mexican illegal immigrants, now they are going to call Mexicans racists and xenophobes?

Best to go to plan B. Change the subject to "homeless vets" "cartels" or "anything else".

#21 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-11-19 05:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"after all the time invested in telling heart-warming stories about Mexican illegal immigrants, now they are going to call Mexicans racists and xenophobes?"

Mexicans are a lot like Americans.

Nullifidian is a racist xenophobe, just like millions of Mexicans and Americans.

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-11-19 05:21 PM | Reply

Indeed, the shrill cries and deflections to anything other than the fact that the Mexican citizens who have to put up with the caravan for months on end while they await processing don't want them to stay in TJ just underscores the blatant hypocrisy of the cheap labor enthusiasts.

#23 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-11-19 05:26 PM | Reply

Anything to say about the current topic, or is it too scary for you to touch?

#19 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

Sure.

It's a shame to see so many ignorant pant ------- duped into believing that these refugees pose some significant national security threat, when they never did before.

It's a shame to see these nationalistic tendencies spread around the world when they are fairly unwarranted, and mostly a symptom of (or deflection against?) much worse problems.

But you'd better barricade yourselves in. The Hondurans might be trying to eat you! Boo!

#24 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2018-11-19 05:50 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

See, that wasn't so hard now was it?

The point is not so much the national security threat to the US as much as it is a resurgent Mexico realizing that they can no longer afford to turn a blind eye to these caravans heading to the US as "not their problem", since more often than not the asylum seekers who don't make it into the US end up in Northern Mexico. As the LA Times points out, the San Diego/TJ/Mexicali/Calexico border is no longer the sieve that it was and more of these illegal immigrants are forced to settle in Mexico. Call it what you will, but sooner or later Mexico is going to realize that they can't afford to not control their southern border.

#25 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-11-19 06:36 PM | Reply

"Protesters also accused some of the migrants of smoking marijuana, trashing the streets of Tijuana and not being appreciative of the city's generosity.

"They are entitled, they even complain about the food," said Javier Alvarez, 48, of Tijuana."

This is consistent with anecdotes I've heard from other parts of Mexico the caravan(s) passed through.

#26 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-11-19 08:47 PM | Reply

#26 | POSTED BY SENTINEL AT 2018-11-19 08:47 PM | FLAG:

The plural of "anecdote" isn't "evidence," child abuse supporter.

#27 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-19 08:50 PM | Reply

"Let me explain how this works, Che"

In other words, I'll tell you how to think. Yep, that's awesome, take lessons from Nulli. ( notice I capitalized). Lol

#28 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-11-19 09:02 PM | Reply

Maybe Mexico should build a wall. If they don't want "Caravans" in their country perhaps they should upgrade THEIR borders.

I bet Humpy's all confused. How does he twist this story into hate.

Oh wait.

He has his Deplorables doing that for him.

#29 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-11-20 09:20 AM | Reply

Obama made that same argument for 8 years...so he must have been spreading "hate" as well.

#30 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-11-20 12:08 PM | Reply