Sunday, November 18, 2018

PlayStation users in Chicago on Wednesday began paying a 9 percent tax on streaming content as the gaming company starts complying with a city levy.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

The city's amusement tax, which used to apply mostly to concert and sporting event tickets, was extended to include streaming services in 2015. That includes charges paid for playing games, according to Chicago's Finance Department.

Comments

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-11-18 04:40 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

but I'm good with it.

#1 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT AT 2018-11-18 04:40 PM | FLAG:

God is watching, I'll pray for you, no. Streaming tax needed...

#2 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-11-18 05:40 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#2 Yeah... probably the wrong god, but I appreciate the sentiment.

#3 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-11-18 06:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Why not a mining tax for Bitcoin, etc. In many parts of the world, including the states, there is a high percentage of electricity being used for "Crypyo Currency Mining"

#4 | Posted by bat4255 at 2018-11-18 08:03 PM | Reply

Libbies/dems taxing every and anything, now that's unusual........ ;)

#5 | Posted by MSgt at 2018-11-18 11:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Reichwingers not paying for anything, that's NOT unusual???

#6 | Posted by zelkova at 2018-11-19 07:11 AM | Reply

Bitcoin mining: www.theguardian.com

#7 | Posted by hamburglar at 2018-11-19 10:25 AM | Reply

"I support this: I'm proud to pay my taxes, just like I was proud to serve my county. And that money goes into paying pensions. It's sort of weird, which is why I posted it, but I'm good with it.

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-11-18 04:40 PM | Reply | Flag:
| Newsworthy 1"

Here's the problem. Taxes are paid because the government uses them to spend on infrastructure. The intent is that a person is paying a tax because their daily lives require some sort of upkeep. For example, roads are needed to drive and they require upkeep, so people have to pay a tax so roads can be kept up. Sales tax is more of a catch-all. Even taxes like hotel tax covers the tourism industry as it brings in business to states. Almost every tax can be brought down to basic burdens that have to be covered by the government (or, at least, that's the idea but we know political greed has caused some shadiness in this model).

The issue with this type of tax on streaming is that a person's daily streaming life requires almost no public upkeep. Most online services are privatized and all costs incurred are absorbed by companies as the price of doing business. Adding a tax is pure burdenless profit for the government. I would be willing to agree to a tax of like 1-2% because there are always hidden costs we don't know about when doing anything, but 9% is absurd. Companies are already taxed for providing the streaming services whether it is AT&T being taxed greatly for digging and placing lines, sales from a company selling a game or service, etc.

All this tax does is continue the trend that keeps big businesses the only ones able to keep up with the costs of doing business and it continues down the road of greed running the government. All you are saying is that you are OK with the government creating burdenless taxes as long as it goes towards things that are completely separate from the purview of the tax itself. And if you agree with that, you cannot ever argue about ever being taxed ever again.

#8 | Posted by humtake at 2018-11-19 12:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Oh no a coach potato tax!

Sucks to be you Republicans.

#9 | Posted by Tor at 2018-11-19 04:36 PM | Reply

What if I am not amused?

#10 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-11-19 05:34 PM | Reply

@ RussianRat...

How does a tax in Chicago affect you in St Petersburg, Russia???

Inquiring minds want to know.

#11 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2018-11-19 07:22 PM | Reply