Saturday, November 17, 2018

Navy SEAL Edward Gallagher is being charged by the Navy with stabbing and murdering a wounded person, shooting at noncombatants, posing for a photo and performing his re-enlistment ceremony next to a dead body.

Comments

Makes me think of that quote: "the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Also, if Chief Gallagher is guilty of this, we as a nation should take responsibility for our role in this crime. He should be treated and rehabilitated in the brig.. His wife and family are probably right when they say that the man they know would never do things like this. There's a good chance he's a good upstanding citizen when he's home, and an animal overseas, which is what we ask everyone in the combat arms to be.

#1 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-11-17 01:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You --------- take us to preemptive war that was railed against by the left as wrong and unnecessary but now we all have to own it?

GTH.

#2 | Posted by jpw at 2018-11-17 03:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

railed against by the left as wrong and unnecessary

Oh stfu. That war was agreed upon by left and right politicians: "Introduced in Congress on October 2, 2002, in conjunction with the Administration's proposals, H.J.Res. 114 passed the House of Representatives on Thursday afternoon at 3:05 p.m. EDT on October 10, 2002, by a vote of 296-133, and passed the Senate after midnight early Friday morning, at 12:50 a.m. EDT on October 11, 2002, by a vote of 77-23."

#3 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-11-17 04:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 6

So yes, now we all have to own it.
"GTH" yourself.

#4 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-11-17 04:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Oh stfu. That war was agreed upon by left and right politicians

More rationalizing on why your stench should be shared by others. Almost as if you're not proud of it but lack the sack to admit it.

I was against the Iraq war from day 1.

I don't own dick nor will I act like I do because it appeases your buyer's remorse.

#5 | Posted by jpw at 2018-11-17 04:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"That war was agreed upon by left and right politicians"

Gono

Yes it was but you will never find anything I ever said that agreed with that war. Even more, I quit voting for any politician that voted in favor of it. I was ridiculed for my position by rightwingers and neoliberals alike. So, no, WE don't own this. If you supported this war, you own it along with every other flag waving faux patriot.

Absolutely. And a lot of good men got in line behind Bush, Cheney, et al and donned their uniforms and did just what this sick minded person did. Maybe he wasn't sick when he started but he sure is now. We are not supposed to kill each other. It's not natural and it breaks us emotionally. Self defense can be necessary and I feel it's justified but never think for a minute that killing another person even in self defense won't break a good person down.

#6 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-11-17 04:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

#7 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-11-17 04:39 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Noles,

There's no doubt this guy was broken by the GWoT. Eight deployments? Never should have happened.

The breaking of our military was predicted by those who opposed the GWoT from the get go. Because it's unwinnable and is (has been...) nothing but a resource sink we're dumping blood and treasure into.

He's just a face to why the last 18 years of war was and remains wrong.

#8 | Posted by jpw at 2018-11-17 04:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 6

"I was in middle school so likely was unaware of anything except explosions and people were being sent in harms way... not my war.

#7 | POSTED BY GONOLES92 AT 2018-11-17 04:39 PM | FLAG:

But at some point you became an adult and you've had to make up your mind as to what side of this issue you're on.

#9 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-11-17 04:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Thanks for advertising that you condone savagery, freak. It is nice for us decent people to be able to identify you lot,

#11 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-17 09:02 PM | Reply

Ruh roh. Mods are on the warpath tonight...

#13 | Posted by jpw at 2018-11-17 10:39 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Why we put military personal up on a pedestal escapes me... It goes so well with the ghost stories god stories and and other fantasy land ideals like unicorns.

I think soldiering is just a job... like any job comprised of the general population you will get the occasional freak... like that guy... the hard thing is the military often increases the job skills of freaks like this.

#14 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2018-11-18 06:46 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Many of the former and current Democratic Party "stars" voted to put us in iraq."

Based on the intelligence they were given which turned out to be a pack of lies and when they realized they were lied to by the administration they immediately withdrew their support for that war. Some of us realized sooner and actually protested before the invasion and were called traitors as we did so. When an administration lies us into a war to gain political capital, as George Bush said he would do while he was still Gov. of Texas, with the goal of "privatizing Social Security, which he absolutely did try to sell to the American people then those who continued to support him and even voted for him a second time are complicit in his crimes. The entire ME today is a quagmire due to that man's desire to wield power and privatize SS which should never, ever be privatized. He should be in prison not home painting stupid pictures. I do't absolve Hillary Clinton or even John Kerry of responsibility for being stupid enough to believe the lies they were told but I do applaud Barrack Obama and Bob Graham for not being so stupid. Instead of nominating Kerry, we should have nominated Graham. He would have won and ended the stupid wars.

#15 | Posted by danni at 2018-11-18 08:55 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

When we send our men and women overseas to fight unnecessary wars you are going to have reactions to the stress and the horrors which are totally unacceptable but we should not necessarily only blame the individuals involved. Those who sent them there need to take their share of the responsibility. I don't absolve those individuals of responsibility for their actions but I also don't think the leaders who sent them there should escape unscathed. Liz Cheney now sits in Congress, she is only there because her father was Vice President and he's from an extremely conservative state; Wyoming. The war crimes he committed are not allowed to be viewed as war crimes in Wyoming. Flag waving fools there need to believe America is always the good guys no matter what harm we do. So they elect the daughter of a war criminal to Congress and are proud of it. Sorry, I just don't respect the "rugged individual" as the best American any more, in reality, that person is the worst American.

#16 | Posted by danni at 2018-11-18 09:02 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#14 | POSTED BY RIGHTISTRITE AT 2018-11-18 06:46 AM

Yes freaks in all types of work but most jobs don't require you to be shot at or shoot at others. Cops get time off after a shooting to deal with stress. Soldiers just keep going and going. It is easy to see how some guys mentally break.

#17 | Posted by byrdman at 2018-11-18 09:11 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"W" broke the Military of the US, and many of us observed, and pointed that out at the time.

#18 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2018-11-18 09:50 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Eight trips to the sandbox? That poor dumb swabbie needs mental healthcare and some serious de-programming at a VA hospital, instead of being brought up on charges!

I have never fired a weapon at anybody; but re-fueling and re-arming B-52's to not bomb Cambodia (Tricky Dick Nixon swore we weren't bombing there) in 1970 sure makes makes me feel complicit in that sxxt-show clusterfxxk. B-52 carpet bombing plowed up EVERYTHING fifty feet deep. Those poor saps down below didn't even know what was happening as the shock wave from the bombs hit them. "Peace Plan With Honor," my axx!

I received a wonderful education using the Vietnam GI Bill, and the VA covers my healthcare needs; so my country and I are square.

#19 | Posted by john47 at 2018-11-18 10:54 AM | Reply

We now have our "special forces" killing each other. Something is wrong.

#20 | Posted by fresno500 at 2018-11-18 11:10 AM | Reply

Why we put military personal up on a pedestal escapes me.

And that's why we need mandatory military time out of high school so snoflakes like you can understand sacrifice.

#21 | Posted by boaz at 2018-11-18 08:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"That's because you are too much of a ----- to understand selfless service to nation and country. You are among the protected, the 1% who dont have to put any blood toward their own self protection."

What have you ever protected your country from, grunt? Apart from the need to figure out how to spend the money wasted on your salary and pension, that is.

#22 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-18 08:05 PM | Reply

Why we put military personal up on a pedestal escapes me...

#14 | POSTED BY RIGHTISTRITE

THAT. Look, I respect today these are people who willingly sign up to go to war for us BUT...

They aren't deities and they aren't any smarter. They aren't any better than anyone else in general - in fact possibly worse in many ways because of the military programing. They do have experiences civilians don't but bottom line is they aren't "special".

They deserve our respect for the services they provide but not the worship the right seems to be engaging in.

#23 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-11-18 08:11 PM | Reply

Why we put military personal up on a pedestal escapes me...

#14 | POSTED BY RIGHTISTRITE

Because we are a war country. If we deify our warriors we make military service very attractive and make more wars palatable to the populace. If we didn't glamourize war no one would support it.

#24 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-11-18 08:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#9 | POSTED BY LFTHNDTHRDS

I've never really thought about it that way because my generation inherited this blunder from our parents. Apart from special warfare departments, we aren't really there anymore, and NSW/SF operate globally nowadays. For what it matters, I don't believe I've had to make the choice to vote for any candidate who voted to support the Iraq war resolution: Obama/Romney/Trump/Rubio. I did vote for Bill Nelson (D), and upon looking it up just now, it looks like he did vote to put us into Iraq :(.

#25 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-11-19 09:47 AM | Reply

To be precise, they authorized the President to put us in Iraq.

I'm of the opinion that should be illegal.

Congress should have to declare war, and not be allowed to delegate their war powers to another branch of government.

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-11-19 04:58 PM | Reply