Thursday, November 15, 2018

Action hero Jack Reacher is to get a reboot for the small screen with a new actor in the lead role after creator Lee Child admitted Tom Cruise, who played him in two films, is too short. In Child's books, Reacher is described as 6ft 5in tall with hands the size of dinner plates. Cruise is 5ft 7in. Readers had complained about Cruise's suitability to play the imposing former major in the US military police since his casting was announced in 2011. "I really enjoyed working with Cruise. He's a really, really nice guy. We had a lot of fun," Child told the station. "But ultimately the readers are right. The size of Reacher is really, really important and it's a big component of who he is.

Comments

I am sorry to hear this. Cruise was excellent and convincing in the movies despite the height issue.

Let's see who they will come up with now.

#1 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-11-15 03:12 AM | Reply

Because filmmakers are soooo concerned about verisimilitude?
It probably has a good deal more to do with the usual:
Money.
Money.
Scheduling.
Money.
More money.

#2 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2018-11-15 07:54 AM | Reply

My brother, who is a big fan of the Jack Reacher books did complain about exactly that. The entire character of Jack Reacher had to be altered to fit Tom Cruise.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2018-11-15 08:45 AM | Reply

Good to read! He should've never been cast as Jack Reacher. In the books, Reacher is the opposite type of physique of hobbit Tom Cruz.

#4 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-11-15 09:51 AM | Reply

Cruise is 5ft 7in.

That is what is charitably known as his "program" height in Basketball circles.

I am a Jack Reacher fan as well, while I thought he did a great job in both Reacher movies his height was a distraction since the character in the novels is defined by his sheer size.

#5 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-11-15 11:13 AM | Reply

Doubt that many who have enjoyed the movies [like my wife and I] have ever read the novels, so really doubt that his height had anything to do with this change.

#6 | Posted by MSgt at 2018-11-15 01:44 PM | Reply

so really doubt that his height had anything to do with this change.

Except for the fact that the author, who still owns the rights, said "ultimately the readers are right. The size of Reacher is really, really important and it's a big component of who he is" in describing why a change is being made.

#7 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-11-15 04:09 PM | Reply

I haven't read them. I did read the controversy back in the day.
I saw the movies and liked the first one. The second one was too much with the female "Reacher". It was the actress, it just wasn't believable.

Side note...Tom Cruise should stop running in his movies.

#8 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2018-11-15 04:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

IIRC, in the novels Reacher has detailed how he enters a fight with multiple bad guys and sizes them up and comes up with a impromptu strategy to take them all out - the guy is supposed to be a physical badass. A small gripe I had with the book lore was that he was supposed to be ex-army military police, and when I think of any type of "military police" I think of gate guards.

#9 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-11-15 07:06 PM | Reply

Like they could afford Cruise for a TV show. They'll have to do with an unknown, and the show will probably just be filler.

#10 | Posted by Snowfake at 2018-11-15 10:12 PM | Reply

Like they could afford Cruise for a TV show.

HBO could. I like Cruise as an actor but I hate most of his films. The two Reachers and Collateral rocked. Top Gun cuz jets.

#11 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-11-15 10:17 PM | Reply

Ah yes: Top Gun.
I was in Cuba as a teen (tourist from Canada). First time I'd been on a moped - zipping around the country side with some guys I met there. Then there were jets (migs and f-somethings) doing really low and tight turns, contrails spiraling out. Very cool. Then we watched Top Gun back at the resort with a bunch of drunk teen girls. Great times.

#12 | Posted by Snowfake at 2018-11-15 10:26 PM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY SNOWFAKE AT 2018-11-15 10:26 PM | FLAG: Enjoyed Top Gun, but my personal favorite was The Last Samurai.

#13 | Posted by MSgt at 2018-11-16 01:18 PM | Reply