Friday, November 09, 2018

Her husband was among 17 killed in 2000 when al-Qaida suicide bombers in a small boat attacked the Cole while it was refueling in a harbor in Yemen. Dozens more men and women were injured. They and the families of the dead sued the government of Sudan for allegedly providing material support for the attack. Their path for this and similar suits has been long and difficult, and now, to the consternation of the victims and veterans groups, the Trump administration is siding with Sudan, long designated a state sponsor of terrorism.

Comments

Trump prefers palling around with terrorists rather than supporting American veterans.

#1 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-11-09 05:22 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

How come boaz never finds his way onto these threads?

#2 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-11-09 07:51 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 2

Just another milestone in the Trump Admin's highly successful drive to always be on the wrong side of every issue.

#3 | Posted by qcp at 2018-11-09 09:13 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

The question is whether the notification of the lawsuit was sent to the wrong address.
The notice was sent by registered mail to the Embassy of Sudan in Washington, D.C., addressed to the nation's foreign minister and signed for by someone at the embassy.
Sudan contends that under U.S. law and international treaty, the notice should have been sent to the Foreign Ministry in the Sudanese capital of Khartoum. That position is supported not just by the Trump administration but also by Saudi Arabia, which faces similar lawsuits over the Sept. 11 attacks.
The argument is that to allow such notifications to be made at an embassy would breach the "inviolability" of embassies and consulates that is guaranteed under the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations. But, for the last 40 year US Embassies have successfully refused to accept these legal notices, as a matter of policy.

#4 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-11-09 09:17 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#4 NW

So this is a procedural error. Is there any evidence that the Sudanese lawyers made this argument from the beginning? If not, why not?

#5 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2018-11-09 09:32 AM | Reply

How much "material support" has America provided to terrorists over the past 50 years? My guess is slightly more than the Sudan.

#6 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2018-11-09 09:34 AM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE AT 2018-11-09 09:32 AM | REPLY | FLAG:

It's solely a matter of our own military being guilty of crimes and Pandora's box shall not be opened.

#7 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-11-09 09:51 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

BOAZ!
Where are you now?
We need your calm voice of cogent logic to help us find the reasoning behind this odd event.

#8 | Posted by e1g1 at 2018-11-09 09:51 AM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY NERFHERDER AT 2018-11-09 09:34 AM | FLAG:

Winner winner chicken dinner.

#9 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-11-09 09:52 AM | Reply

I dont know about this issue. I think about this I guess in the same vein I put with when we liberated Kuwait, the government I believe extended a $1000 or something like that payment for those who participated in the liberation. We as U.S. service members were forbidden from accepting it. Other countries let their militaries get the money, but the U.S. couldnt. it's because it's in the process of us doing our duty.

It's along the same vein as a soldier cant sue the U.S. government for anything while he's active duty.

I can understand why families are suing, but I can also see the Trump admin's move in this too.

But if it's a procedural move, then just send it to the right address.

#10 | Posted by boaz at 2018-11-09 11:16 AM | Reply

Boaz, they're not suing the US government. It's not even in the same ball park.

#11 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-11-09 11:50 AM | Reply

"I dont know about this issue."

#10 | Posted by boaz

That has never stopped you from posting before.

#12 | Posted by qcp at 2018-11-09 01:31 PM | Reply

That has never stopped you from posting before.

I never said this was stopping me from posting. I said I didnt have an opinion. That I didnt know how I felt about it.

#11,

Yes, I know that. So I'm thinking it might be ok, but it would be a hard way to go..

#13 | Posted by boaz at 2018-11-09 02:34 PM | Reply

#13 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2018-11-09 02:34 PM | FLAG:

A hard way to go? I'm not quite clear on that. You mean the repercussions to the US by allowing these folks to sue? Gasp!

#14 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-11-09 02:56 PM | Reply

Trump likes Communist dictators more than he does American Veterans.

#15 | Posted by Tor at 2018-11-09 05:14 PM | Reply

#15. I see. My bad expecting anything out of this

#16 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-11-09 08:29 PM | Reply

But... under a DEMOCRATIC president.....

The USS Liberty incident was an attack on a United States Navy technical research ship, USS Liberty, by Israeli Air Force jet fighter aircraft and Israeli Navy motor torpedo boats, on 8 June 1967, during the Six-Day War.The combined air and sea attack killed 34 crew members (naval officers, seamen, two marines, and one civilian), wounded 171 crew members, and severely damaged the ship. At the time, the ship was in international waters.

... and LBJ sided with Israel...

#17 | Posted by Pegasus at 2018-11-10 09:53 AM | Reply