Tuesday, November 06, 2018

About 1.2 million convicted felons in Florida will automatically have their right to vote restored, thanks to a ballot measure that received more than 64 percent of the vote as of 9:09 p.m. Tuesday. At least 60 percent of voters had to approve for Amendment 4 to become law. ... Approval of the amendment ends Florida's outlier status as the state with the most people permanently barred from voting -- only three other states ban felons from the polls for life. Amendment 4 restores the right to vote to convicted felons who have completed all terms of their sentences, including probation and restitution, but excludes those who are convicted of murder or sex crimes.

Comments

I was just looking online regarding how these ballot amendments went. Great to see this one pass, as well as the end of dog racing, and constitutional ban on oil drilling. Only one currently too close to call is the Increase on Homestead Exemption

#1 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-11-06 09:42 PM | Reply

AWESOME, what a promising trend in Florida.

#2 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-11-06 09:57 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

REalize, those votes could swing the next election. Thankfully! Trust me, they aren't voting Republican.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2018-11-07 01:48 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

That's a good thing. Congrats FL.

#4 | Posted by et_al at 2018-11-07 02:57 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

ET AL

"That's a good thing. Congrats FL."

I agree . . . but only up to the 'three strikes and you're out' rule.

In that case, if a repeater can't handle their own life, I sure don't want them making decisions about mine.

#5 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-11-07 03:20 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

There is no reason to not restore voting rights once their debt to society is paid.

#6 | Posted by 726 at 2018-11-07 08:21 AM | Reply

"I agree ... but only up to the 'three strikes and you're out' rule.""

Sorry, but I disagree. "Three strikes you're out" rule has been used to punish a former felon who commits a fairly minor crime later and then put them away for life. Sentencing guidelines made by the legislature are almost always bad, sentencing should be left to the judges who hear the cases. If we don't trust them to sentence correctly then we should choose different judges but if we trust them to be judges then we should trust them to apply fair sentences.

#7 | Posted by danni at 2018-11-07 09:03 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#7, Agreed Danni.

I like what Florida did in this case. Good job.

#8 | Posted by boaz at 2018-11-07 09:07 AM | Reply

I like it that we can agree on an issue that involves the rights of people who have paid their debt to society and that we don't hold grudges.

#9 | Posted by danni at 2018-11-07 09:24 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I like what Florida did in this case. Good job.

#8 | Posted by boaz

Then you're in the wrong party. Time to switch.

#10 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-11-07 11:19 AM | Reply

Am I wrong in understanding that this ballot measure also amends the state constitution to allow judges to not adhere to the principle of Stare Decisis?

#11 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2018-11-07 11:29 AM | Reply

Then you're in the wrong party. Time to switch.
Posted by SpeakSoftly

This was a non-partisan ballot measure.

#12 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-11-07 11:31 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

This was a non-partisan ballot measure.

#12 | Posted by GOnoles92

Suuuuuure. Repubs are well known for their passionate efforts to help minorities vote.

#13 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-11-07 11:35 AM | Reply

hey will you look at dat!

"Florida Man" did something good for a change!

That should help with this stupid deadlock. The more citizens who vote the better off we will all be.

#14 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-11-07 01:56 PM | Reply

#3 Quit posting crap. I am a proud YES voter on this and many other amendments. I was a prisoner advocate, a volunteer position, at the local jail 6 years. I'm not sure what happened you. You used to post fairly reasonable comments, this last year not so much. Just angry Rhetoric . Another fine example is your repeated posts about ALARMING food price increases. I have asked after each post to give me either a link to the stores you shop at, a zip code where the stores are located and even a list of food items so I can see for myself and all you do is post and run. Here in North Florida there are no ALARMING food price increases.

Keep on keeping on. Keep calling people who don't agree with you stupid, keep being angry on an anonymous site from the comfort of your home and most of all keep doing nothing about the issues you are angry about.

#15 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2018-11-07 03:22 PM | Reply

Gracie's son is a felon, is that what's happening here?

#16 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-11-07 03:24 PM | Reply

Nope just one of the youngest K9 Deputies on the force getting a bachelors degree in criminal science.

You and Danni should get a room at the ASSumption Inn.

#17 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2018-11-07 03:27 PM | Reply

Oh, a jack-booted thug.
Did you even try to keep him out of the gang life?

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-11-07 03:35 PM | Reply

What do professional trolls pay these days? Hope it's enough for your room at the Inn. Carry on. I love watching pathetic losers in action on here. Over and out no more wasted key strokes on you.

#19 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2018-11-07 03:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Criminal justice reform on the move!!

This warms my heart.

#20 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-11-07 03:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You and Danni should get a room at the ASSumption Inn.

#17 | Posted by gracieamazed

Ah that makes sense. Whenever a repub takes a reasonable stance on something it's usually because it affects their lives directly. They're much more comfortable with terrible policies that only affect OTHER people.

#21 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-11-07 04:06 PM | Reply

I wonder if there is a survey asking felons if their rights were restored would they vote democratic or republican?

For the future ASSumption Inn guests the amendments were non partisan and to say I voted yes, anymore than a democratic did , to benefit our party is just plain ill-informed at best or -------- trolling at worst.

You folks would be comical if not for being so pathetic.

#22 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2018-11-07 04:16 PM | Reply

Could be that the son turned to police work out of rebellion, after growing up watching mom ignore him but coddle criminals...

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-11-07 04:17 PM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE AT 2018-11-07 11:29 AM

That would have shocked me, so I looked it up. I see nothing about that in this measure.
dos.elections.myflorida.com

#24 | Posted by JOE at 2018-11-07 04:24 PM | Reply

Is school out today? Has to be. No way this many juvenile Pee wee Herman posts are a coincidence.

#25 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2018-11-07 04:24 PM | Reply

If you keep at it Gracie, I'm confident you can get your skin even thinner!

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-11-07 04:27 PM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY TWINPAC AT 2018-11-07 03:20 AM | FLAG: |

because you've done such a good job with your vote so far???

#27 | Posted by e1g1 at 2018-11-07 06:57 PM | Reply

#19 | POSTED BY GRACIEAMAZED AT 2018-11-07 03:49 PM | REPLY | FLAG
#22 | POSTED BY GRACIEAMAZED AT 2018-11-07 04:16 PM | REPLY | FLAG:
#25 | POSTED BY GRACIEAMAZED AT 2018-11-07 04:24 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

A Republican that says one thing and immediately does another?! I am shocked--SHOCKED!--to see hypocrisy in this establishment!

#28 | Posted by e1g1 at 2018-11-07 07:00 PM | Reply

Yeah Florida!! Not that it effects me but one day I hope to move to St. Pete when I retire.

#29 | Posted by byrdman at 2018-11-07 07:47 PM | Reply

Would you haggle with me like a seller of felons in the marketplace?

--Rameses II

#30 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-11-08 03:28 AM | Reply

If one believes that once a person served their time they should again receive their rights, then they should also be able to again buy and own guns. All or nothing people.

#31 | Posted by MSgt at 2018-11-08 10:31 AM | Reply

#31 | Posted by MSgt

Sure, that makes sense as soon as you find the off switch on your brain.

#32 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-11-08 11:16 AM | Reply