Tuesday, November 06, 2018

I saw a frightening side of him in 1998. I saw it again at the Christine Blasey Ford hearing 20 years later. Back in the 1990s, when my last name was Nardella, I was a mother of two living in a Virginia suburb of Washington, working as a Republican fundraiser. Through community engagement and charity work, I met Alice and Ken Starr. The Starrs, in turn, introduced me to the head of a Dallas-based strategic communications firm, Merrie Spaeth, and around 1997, Spaeth hired me to run her boutique D.C. office. Starr was then serving as the independent counsel investigating the relationship between Bill Clinton and a White House intern, and in 1998, Spaeth and I were charged with helping prep Starr to present his history-making report to Congress. In the course of our work, I met one of his team's key lawyers, 33-year-old Brett Kavanaugh.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

One day, after a group meeting in the independent counsel's offices, I was alone in the conference room, walking around the table and gathering up materials. The door opened, and someone came in. I don't believe I looked up to see who it was -- I just assumed that somebody had forgotten something. In what seemed like a split second, Kavanaugh had come around to my side of the table and was invading my space, badgering me in a way that I didn't understand. I changed directions around the table and kept moving. He followed on my heels.

Comments

MFA:

Starr also told me he thought Kavanaugh was going big places. He said he was very smart. He thought he might make the Supreme Court.

"Not if he treats women like that, he won't," I recall saying. This was seven years after Anita Hill's testimony had made us all much more attuned to the gender dynamics of our workplaces.

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-11-06 04:44 PM | Reply

Also:

But just over a month ago, I watched Kavanaugh defend himself before the Senate Judiciary Committee against Christine Blasey Ford's charges of sexual assault. Her testimony struck me as credible. When I saw the nominee's facial expression -- the same pinched eyes and lips of the person who tried to bully me that day in 1998 -- I was taken aback. The word feral came to mind. And when he showed the entire world that rabid "temperament" I'd seen, a switch flipped inside me. I flashed back 20 years to that conference room and relived that guttural fear. I realized that what I had experienced that day hadn't been some one-off outburst prompted by stress. And I decided that I had to go on record with the senators who were faced with choosing whether to give Kavanaugh lifetime tenure on the nation's highest court.

#2 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-11-06 04:49 PM | Reply

He got angry for a minute. Wow. He should be impeached over that.

#3 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-11-06 04:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

He got angry for a minute. Wow. He should be impeached over that.

#3 | POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2018-11-06 04:56 PM | FLAG:

So now judicial temperament doesn't matter, huh? Convenient.

#4 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-06 04:58 PM | Reply

Nothing matters to Jeff except the party affiliation.

#5 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-11-06 05:00 PM | Reply

He got angry for a minute. Wow. He should be impeached over that.

#3 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

Not being able to control one's anger as a supreme court justice of the United States directly shows the disqualifying behavior of being a supreme court justice.

Impeach the lying douchebag.

#6 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-11-06 05:01 PM | Reply

Nothing matters to Jeff except the party affiliation.

POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK AT 2018-11-06 05:00 PM | REPLY

THIS OMFG THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So true!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-11-06 05:02 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

He got angry for a minute. Wow. He should be impeached over that.

#3 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

It only takes a minute to show the world you do not have the temperament to be a Supreme Court Judge with a Lifetime appointment.

#8 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-11-06 05:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Thanks Gal. Two of my greatest wishes for the coming hours is that Beto beats Cruz in Texas and that Heitkamp wins against all odds in North Dakota. The words poetic justice come to mind and since we've been cheated out of so much real justice these days, sweet revenge will have to suffice.

🤞

#9 | Posted by tonyroma at 2018-11-06 05:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

He got angry for a minute.
#3 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

This is the first time I've ever seen "minute" used to refer to a month-long period.

#10 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-11-06 05:15 PM | Reply

LOL, "He's a lawyer and he was mean to me!!"

#11 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-11-06 05:20 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I have yet to meet a Judge, Lower, Appellate or CA Superior Court, who hasn't gotten angry on the bench over something.

Get over your sanctimonious BS, they are human as well.

#12 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-11-06 05:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Rightostupid is all about forgiving normal human failings like attempted rape.

#13 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-06 05:26 PM | Reply

Rightostupid is all about forgiving normal human failings like attempted rape.

#13 | Posted by DirkStruan

Comrade Dirk has never gotten angry at a friend, colleague, coworker, subordinate, etc., in his entire virtuous life.

#14 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-11-06 05:31 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Hey Dulli, when did you grow out of your awkward "try to rape women at parties" phase?

#15 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-06 05:33 PM | Reply

who hasn't gotten angry on the bench over something.

Get over your sanctimonious BS, they are human as well.

#12 | Posted by Rightocenter

Maybe Blind Kegger should get an Anger Management Translator like Obama had.

#16 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-11-06 05:45 PM | Reply

#14 | Posted by nullifidian

Well, going out on a limb here, not in front of Congress and the whole world he hasn't.

When he gets his Nomination to the Supreme Court maybe Dirk will go all ballistic and sound like an angry partisan then.

#17 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-11-06 05:48 PM | Reply

I guess we should impeach every member of SCOTUS and abolish the entire court. If having an emotion is disqualifying then no human could ever serve.

#18 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-11-06 05:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#18 | POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2018-11-06 05:50 PM | FLAG:

Reductio ad absurdum. Care to try again?

#19 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-06 05:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

The dumb oaf was shouting down Senators as they questioned him.

I guess they should all consider themselves lucky he didn't attempt to rape them.

The angry moron.

#20 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-11-06 05:53 PM | Reply

"When he gets his Nomination to the Supreme Court"

You should all be so lucky.

#21 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-06 05:55 PM | Reply

"He got angry for a minute.
#3 | POSTED BY JEFFJ"

^
Ladies and gentlemen,
The Brock Turner defense.

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-11-06 05:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I mean. They were only females. The lesser sex. Absolutely nobodies in a Republican's perspective."

We know how they hate women who talk back.

#23 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-06 06:00 PM | Reply

Rumor has it he cried at a funeral once.

#24 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-11-06 06:09 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Neighbors say he flashed a smile when his daughter's basketball team won a game.

#25 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-11-06 06:10 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Then he and Roy Moore proceeded to rape them.

#26 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-11-06 06:11 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Reductio ad absurdum. Care to try again?

#19 | POSTED BY DIRKSTRUAN

I'll reducto absurdum the ---- outta that!

-jeffj

#27 | Posted by jpw at 2018-11-06 06:25 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I heard that Kavanaugh is known to laugh, on occasion.

#28 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-11-06 06:26 PM | Reply

#14 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN AT 2018-11-06 05:31 PM

Comrade Dirk still has a lot of unresolved issues revolving around sexual assault.

#29 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-11-06 06:26 PM | Reply

Rumor has it Kavanaugh has demonstrated frustration every once in a while.

#30 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-11-06 06:28 PM | Reply

He (Judge Keg)got angry for a minute. Wow. He should be impeached over that.

#3 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

It was a lot more than a minute. He shouldn't have been hired in the first place.

#31 | Posted by Zed at 2018-11-06 06:51 PM | Reply

Then he and Roy Moore proceeded to rape them.

#26 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK AT 2018-11-06 06:11 PM | FLAG:

While Jeff and Righto watched the door.

#32 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-06 06:52 PM | Reply

I heard that Kavanaugh is known to laugh while holding down his rape victims.

#33 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-11-06 06:55 PM | Reply

Kavanaugh is the type of guy Jeff would watch the door for during college.

#34 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-11-06 06:56 PM | Reply

I'd seriously like to know if modern conservatives thinks there's some sort of mystical line one can attain that makes you immune to ordinary standards of mature behavior?

#35 | Posted by Zed at 2018-11-06 06:56 PM | Reply

Jeff being a partisan hackjob like always. How typical if you ask me.

#36 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-11-06 06:57 PM | Reply

My dominant thought watching Kavanaugh melt down on the tube was that I couldn't get away with anything like that. Nor, frankly, am I personally aware of any who who could.

#37 | Posted by Zed at 2018-11-06 07:00 PM | Reply

If JEFF would like to stab at explaining this to me, I think it would be easier than debating a sexual assault certain people don't believe in.

#38 | Posted by Zed at 2018-11-06 07:01 PM | Reply

Get over your sanctimonious BS, they are human as well.

#12 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

Angry Kavanaugh... img.huffingtonpost.com

is just as disqualifying as this angry American ...

a1cf74336522e87f135f-2f21ace9a6cf0052456644b80fa06d4f.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com

See what I mean?

#39 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-11-06 07:05 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

This is funny as hell. A bunch of idiots that have never been in a courtroom arguing about judicial temperament. Wanna see "judicial temperament?" File a motion to recuse a judge so you can take his deposition. You'll get a dose of it.

#40 | Posted by et_al at 2018-11-06 07:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"This is funny as hell. A bunch of idiots that have never been in a courtroom"

While you've spent plenty of time in one. Remind me: what were you charged with again?

#41 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-06 07:21 PM | Reply

Forget it. Christine Ballcutter-Fraud is over.

#42 | POSTED BY HEINRICH AT 2018-11-06 07:25 PM | FLAG:

Delete your account, freak.

#43 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-06 07:29 PM | Reply

*BREAKING*

Brett Kavanaugh urinates when his bladder is full!

News at 11....

#44 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-11-06 07:34 PM | Reply

Brett Kavanaugh urinates when his bladder is full!

News at 11....

#44 | POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2018-11-06 07:34 PM | FLAG:

You do it when yours is empty. It just comes out your mouth.

#45 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-06 07:36 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Brett Kavanaugh urinates when his bladder is full!
News at 11....

#44 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

"I'm listening..." - Donnie Fish Delight

#46 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-11-06 07:45 PM | Reply

"This is funny as hell. A bunch of idiots that have never been in a courtroom arguing about judicial temperament."

Seriously, who here has never been in a courtroom???

#47 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-11-06 09:11 PM | Reply

Maybe he had a case of the mondays?
Maybe she didn't have his coffee ready?
Why was she even at work if there were two kids home?
At least she didn't accuse him of rape.

#48 | Posted by 101chairborne at 2018-11-06 09:30 PM | Reply

-we've been cheated out of so much real justice these days, sweet revenge will have to suffice.

I'm sure glad I have Tony here to tell me how bad I have it. I've been cheated out of so much real justice. Wow.

I've been so cheated that I need to fall victim to the deadly sin of revenge.

#49 | Posted by eberly at 2018-11-06 09:37 PM | Reply

Delete your account, freak.

#43 | Posted by DirkStruan

If he wanted to delete it and start a new one, how would he go about it?

#50 | Posted by eberly at 2018-11-06 09:39 PM | Reply | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

If he wanted to delete it and start a new one, how would he go about it?

BoyDirkBadweekCooperGimp is the DR expert at this.

#51 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-11-07 12:07 AM | Reply

BoyDirkBadweekCooperGimp is the DR expert at this.

#51 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER AT 2018-11-07 12:07 AM | FLAG:

Hardly, you lying hack. Nice to know I'm living rent free in your pointy, empty little head, however.

#52 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-11-07 12:13 AM | Reply

"A bunch of idiots that have never been in a courtroom arguing about judicial temperament"

#40 | Posted by et_al

This is why people come to dislike lawyers, your sincerely held view that human beings should suspend belief in what they see with their own eyes in favor for whatever you're getting $500 an hour to pimp that day.

#53 | Posted by Zed at 2018-11-07 08:25 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Sore losers continue to whine.
I'm sure we'll hear more from the people who don't trust the government any more now that their preferred politicians aren't in power.

#54 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-11-07 09:14 AM | Reply

"If evidence is ever discovered that would indicate that said SCJ is unfit for duty, I trust that the methods proscribed by the Constitution for dealing with such a situation will be performed."

Pure fantasy. 2/3rds of the Senate is needed for removal.

#55 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-11-07 09:19 AM | Reply

------
Pure fantasy. 2/3rds of the Senate is needed for removal.

#55 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

More than 2/3 were ready to remove Nixon, which was why he resigned.

#56 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-11-07 09:36 AM | Reply

More than 2/3 were ready to remove Nixon, which was why he resigned.

Posted by JeffJ at 2018-11-07 09:36 AM | Reply

Republicans had integrity back then. They don't anymore.

#57 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-11-07 09:40 AM | Reply

"More than 2/3 were ready to remove Nixon"

Just to calibrate my Reality-O-Meter, do you believe 2/3rds of Senate Republicans would buck their party these days?

#58 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-11-07 09:42 AM | Reply

#58 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

If the crime was egregious enough to where bucking the party would cause less damage to their power than toeing the line - absolutely.

#59 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-11-07 09:54 AM | Reply

" where bucking the party would cause less damage to their power than toeing the line - absolutely."

So not a chance.

Got it.

#60 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-11-07 09:57 AM | Reply

#59 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-11-07 09:54 AM | Reply

Tom DeLay proves you wrong. The Republican party tried to change the rules so he wouldn't have to step down when he was indicted. Republicans have zero integrity these days.

#61 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-11-07 10:05 AM | Reply

Tom Delay was indicted over policy.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. His indictment was criminalizing policy differences, which is VERY toxic.

You may recall, he was exonerated.

So not a chance.
Got it.

#60 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

You are making no sense. If the GOP is as horrible as you portend, then they are beholden ONLY to preserving their own power - throw any semblance of loyalty out the window. If standing by someone toxic does more damage to their power than ditching said person - they are going to ditch every time.

#62 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-11-07 10:11 AM | Reply

"You may recall, (DeLay) was exonerated."

You may recall, the Texas Legislature was so horrified, they immediately closed the loophole DeLay had exploited.

The f^^king Texas Legislature thought it was untoward. Let that sink in.

#63 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-11-07 10:13 AM | Reply

I get that - doesn't change the fact that he was exonerated in court.

I always thought he was a POS and never had any sympathy for him. Having said that, criminalizing politics has become a thing the past couple of decades and it's a dangerous thing.

#64 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-11-07 10:18 AM | Reply

criminalizing politics

64 | Posted by JeffJ

I'm against criminalizing politics. I'm also in favor of getting the criminals out of politics.

This is why the GOP had to lose last night. It's only the first step.

#65 | Posted by Zed at 2018-11-07 10:29 AM | Reply

"I get that - doesn't change the fact that he was exonerated in court."

It also doesn't change the fact that as a representative of the people, when he saw the weakness in the law, he exploited it, instead of fixing it.

#66 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-11-07 10:31 AM | Reply

By the way, you skipped telling me why Judge Keg gets to throw hissy-fits and I don't. -#65 | Posted by Zed at 2018-11-07 10:29 AM

That's all you do.

#67 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-11-07 10:50 AM | Reply

That's all you do.

#67 | Posted by Avigdore

No. I'd be punished severely by my community of if did what Judge Keg did on TV. Most people would. I am expected to be in control of my anger and, most especially, not whine. The first behavior gets you labeled as crazy and the second as a p---y.

So I want to know why some people let some other people like Keg get away with it. Whatever the trick is, I might like to use it some time, like when I'm nominated to Supreme Court.

#68 | Posted by Zed at 2018-11-07 11:45 AM | Reply

Zed,

The only acceptable outcome of the Kavanaugh hearings for you would have been to hand him over to ISIS to have him decapitated.

#69 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-11-07 11:51 AM | Reply

I do however believe you would have refrained from handing his wife and daughters over to become sex slaves.

#70 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-11-07 11:52 AM | Reply

#69 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-11

I assume you don't want to answer the question.

#71 | Posted by Zed at 2018-11-07 11:58 AM | Reply

Actually, it's more than an assumption.

#72 | Posted by Zed at 2018-11-07 11:59 AM | Reply

"The duly elected president fulfilled his duty of nominating a qualified judge to fill a SC vacancy.
"The duly elected representatives of the United States of America did their due diligence and consented to the president's nomination."
- #54 | Posted by
Avigdore at 2018-11-07 09:14 AM

Merrick Garland, Associate Justice of the SCOTUS, appreciates you pointing that out, Avigdore.

Especially the part about how "The duly elected representatives of the United States of America did their due diligence."

#73 | Posted by Hans at 2018-11-07 12:02 PM | Reply

"I hesitated to bother Starr. I had such enormous respect for him, and we were about to present the Starr Report."

Such a ludicrous statement. They were investigating a BJ. No decent person would have ever spent $70,000,000.00 to uncover a sexual encounter between two consenting adults. Ken Starr and Bret Kavenaugh are both piece of filth. The person writing this commentary is as ridiculous as they are. What a bunch of garbage everything and everyone associated with the "Starr report" is a joke. Thankfully, the Senate didn't go along with those political hacks. That was probably the most embarrassing moments in the history of the United States.

#74 | Posted by danni at 2018-11-07 12:05 PM | Reply

#68 | Posted by Zed at 2018-11-07 11:45 AM
You understand that when you whine and throw hissy fits here, we don't punish you, right?
So obviously there are people in the world who don't punish people for whining and throwing hissy fits. Mostly they seem to have empathy and are willing to forgive someone in a moment of understandable frustration, exhaustion, and perceived persecution.
The trick is to expand your horizons, meet new people, maybe don't self segregate and stop maintaining a constant self-reinforcing social bubble.

#75 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-11-07 12:06 PM | Reply

Merrick Garland, unconfirmed nominee for Associate Justice of the SCOTUS, appreciates you pointing that out -#73 | Posted by Hans at 2018-11-07 12:02 PM

And he is welcome.

#76 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-11-07 12:08 PM | Reply

" Merrick Garland, unconfirmed nominee for Associate Justice of the SCOTUS..." - #76 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-11-07 12:08 PM

Unconfirmed?

So much for the part about the duly elected representatives of the United States of America doing their due diligence.

#hypocrisy

#77 | Posted by Hans at 2018-11-07 12:14 PM | Reply

#75 | Posted by Avigdore at

Keg whined and threw a hissy-fit. You agree.

#78 | Posted by Zed at 2018-11-07 12:19 PM | Reply

#75 | Posted by Avigdore at

Is that how you handle job interviews?

#79 | Posted by Zed at 2018-11-07 12:20 PM | Reply

Unconfirmed? -#77 | Posted by Hans at 2018-11-07 12:14 PM

Yes, unconfirmed.

#80 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-11-07 12:20 PM | Reply

Is that how you handle job interviews? -#79 | Posted by Zed at 2018-11-07 12:20 PM

If I am ever in the position to interview someone who has been accused of something with no evidence other than a half-remembered story from 35 years ago with no corroboration, who themselves and their family have been subject to death threats, who has been the target of strictly partisan attacks, yes. I'd cut them some slack if they got emotional from it all.

#81 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-11-07 12:25 PM | Reply

I'd cut them some slack if they got emotional from it all.

#81 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-11-07 12:25

I'd hope you'd draw the line at not answering questions put to them and talking over those interviewing them.

#82 | Posted by Zed at 2018-11-07 12:40 PM | Reply

#81 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-11-07 12:25

Conservatives have their own brand of self-serving PC.

#83 | Posted by Zed at 2018-11-07 12:41 PM | Reply

"I'd cut them some slack if they got emotional from it all."

Ypu wouldn't ask them to conduct a poly when the accuser has already conducted a poly?

And you would accept various question simply not being answered?

Is that what you mean by cutting them some slack if they got emotional?

#84 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-11-07 02:51 PM | Reply

Now let's say same scenario, same accusations, but Kavanaugh didn't get emotional.

Would you still be cutting the same slack for him?

Show me how him getting emotional changes anything.
It doesn't, does it?

#85 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-11-07 02:54 PM | Reply

You just have to boof a few natty lights and you'll forget everything; just like Bart O'.

#86 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-11-07 02:58 PM | Reply

People can accept bad behavior from people who look like them.

#87 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-11-08 08:19 AM | Reply

I can't forget the anger the dems caused on the Right by their deplorable attack on Kavanaugh and believe that helped the Republican wins in the senate.

#88 | Posted by MSgt at 2018-11-08 12:11 PM | Reply