Tuesday, November 06, 2018

[T]hree years into the emergency declarations, Seattle and King County have rarely acted as if they were responding to an emergency. Seattle's proclamation gave it extraordinary authority to bypass "time-consuming procedures and formalities prescribed by ordinance, statute, rule and regulation," but the city has used it sparingly, mostly to site tiny-house villages. King County's Board of Health only recently suggested a typical disaster response -- deploying massive tent shelters. The county and city continue to operate separate homelessness bureaucracies.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

The author goes out of their way to not say that the situation is worse after nearly $200 million a year is spent to address it. It's a worthwhile read, but make sure your narrative meter is finely tuned.

Comments

A significant number of homeless people refuse shelters. How do you get them to go?

#1 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-11-06 09:33 AM | Reply

Large bucket loaders.

#2 | Posted by Daniel at 2018-11-06 09:36 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

A significant number of homeless people refuse shelters...

#1 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

I had an uncle who was homeless. He often refused shelters because they explicitly prohibited drug and alcohol use while staying there. He was an alcoholic so he frequently slept in the streets. He passed away under a bridge.

#3 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-11-06 09:44 AM | Reply

Seattle is as crazy as San Francisco, which has a ballot measure which raises taxes, of course, to pay for the homeless. The result which will be more homeless pouring into the city. Subsidize something and you get more of it.

#4 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-11-06 10:02 AM | Reply

"I had an uncle who was homeless"

I Blame The Grandparents

inSincerely

You

#5 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2018-11-06 10:03 AM | Reply

"I had an uncle who was homeless"
I Blame The Grandparents

I blame Trump and Lawrence Welk and...uh....Mr Greenjeans.

#6 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2018-11-06 10:08 AM | Reply

Why aren't we talking about the Caravan?

We are under attack! It's a National EMERGY!

Get away from the windows!

#7 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-11-06 10:12 AM | Reply

"they explicitly prohibited drug and alcohol use while staying there"

easy there.....you're going to make the drunken savage nervous.

#8 | Posted by eberly at 2018-11-06 10:12 AM | Reply

Eberly - I don't always agree with you, but I find you to be one of the more balanced and thought-provoking posters on the site (who also doesn't mind getting into the mud when necessary). I guess I'm not entrenched enough into the DR to know the full history between you and Chieftutmoses, but I'd assume there's some well-deserved animosity there. But I've noticed you use slurs like "drunken savage" on a pretty regular basis against him/her. I'm not Native myself, but having grown up and worked in northern Wisconsin, I have a fair number of friends, acquaintances, former colleagues, former classmates, etc., who are. I'll just say this: I wish you could find a better way to get under Chief's skin. I don't know if racial slurs against Native Americans are more tolerated here than slurs against other ethnic groups, but frankly you may as well start telling jokes about missing black fathers, Mexicans wet from the river, etc., if you keep using drunken savage as an insult against a poster who uses "Chief" in his/her moniker.

#9 | Posted by dylanfan at 2018-11-06 01:06 PM | Reply

Yeah. Being homeless is so much fun. I'm surprised more people don't choose to become mentally ill, alcoholic, borderline retarded or a drug addict in order to enjoy the good life.

#10 | Posted by moder8 at 2018-11-06 02:28 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

you forgot "female coworker insulting"

#11 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2018-11-06 02:38 PM | Reply

Dylan,

That is only his recent moniker. That person has also posted as:

Coconservative
Redneckville
IamSam

And a couple of others I can't remember at the moment.

Drunken savage is what Ebs calls him/her/it. I call it a schizoid because it seems to have a severe mental disorder.

#12 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-11-06 02:43 PM | Reply

Dylan, he calls him a drunken savage because he'll get the ban hammer for calling him something more accurate. RedCocoSamVille is the purest form of troll.

#13 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2018-11-06 02:47 PM | Reply

I appreciate the broader background. I remember (vaguely) Redneckville - or maybe I'm thinking of Niceville - and totally get that it's a trolling situation. I just think the specific insult is maybe a step too far. I have absolute respect for Ebs and I'm sure the insults towards Chief are well deserved - it's just that specific one that I think maybe should be reevaluated. Or not. Either way, I've said my piece. :-)

#14 | Posted by dylanfan at 2018-11-06 03:00 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by nullifidian

Soooo You know the homeless will "pour in" how? I think it's a pretty ignorant right wing talking point kind of statement. They have a pretty huge problem as it is in SF and it isn't because of their treatment by the city. Much of it's mental illness and drug related - so it won't help them. Then there are the short termers who are simply down on their luck in that housing market. Seriously you probably need to be medicated if you think anyone actually WANTS to be in a homeless shelter. They aren't great places but they beat the streets. People choose cars over shelters all the time. Don't get me wrong - people are grateful but they don't want to be there. I have volunteered at shelters and have been taking part in a make the Holidays possible for homeless families "event" the last few years. The event is I get together with some people I know and we go out and get things for families we have identified as in need. Want to talk about grateful people...

As for the addicted, remember Trumplethinskin saying he was going to tackle the opioid crisis? It isn't happening. All the power to them if they can get those people off the streets, off drugs and back into society. Another crisis brought to you by big pharma... It makes their city a better place and is a big benefit to the citizens who aren't in that situation.

I guess I am saying take your one liner talking point and total ignorance of the situations of these people and reality of the real world and shove it where the sun don't shine.

#15 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-11-06 03:43 PM | Reply

Dylan,
That is only his recent moniker. That person has also posted as:
Coconservative
Redneckville
IamSam
And a couple of others I can't remember at the moment.
#12 | POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2018-11-06 02:43 PM | FLAG:

#13 | POSTED BY MUSTANG AT 2018-11-06 02:47 PM

Neither you morons actually answered Dylan correctly.

His statement was clear as a bell:

Perhaps you two just are fkkking tarded, but he was asking nicely for you guys not to slur Native Americans in order to feel good about yourselves.

#16 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-11-06 03:51 PM | Reply

Clown,

I highly doubt that schizoid is Native American.

His screen name has 3 parts:

Chief - which has more connotations than just native american
Tut - presumably King Tut, who was an Egyptian king who died at a young age
Moses - a biblical figure who received the 10 Commandments on 2 stone tablets from God and parted the Red Sea.

I appreciate Dylan's sentiment and the respectful manner in which he made his request. I just happen to disagree with his PC-take on this.

#17 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-11-06 04:18 PM | Reply

Mental illness is also a big reason homeless people don't go to shelters. We should never forget that we didn't really have a homeless problem in this country until Ronald Reagan "freed" the mentally ill from mental hospitals.

"n America's cities, many of us are so immune to such disturbances that we just continue reading our email on our smartphones without even looking up. It is just another crazy part of our urban lifestyle.

But when I see people like this, my first thought is always the same: Why isn't this man institutionalized? He certainly is not living a dignified life out here on the streets.

When I ask my mental health colleagues about this, the one political figure that typically comes up is former President Ronald Reagan. It's like an urban legend in our field. People say the reason so many people with mental illness are homeless or in jail -- one-third of all homeless individuals and half of all people behind bars -- is because of President Reagan.

Really? What did he do? Let all of the mentally ill patients loose?

Well, yes, that's exactly what they say he did.

Over 30 years ago, when Reagan was elected President in 1980, he discarded a law proposed by his predecessor that would have continued funding federal community mental health centers. This basically eliminated services for people struggling with mental illness.

He made similar decisions while he was the governor of California, releasing more than half of the state's mental hospital patients and passing a law that abolished involuntary hospitalization of people struggling with mental illness. This started a national trend of de-institutionalization.

In other words, if you are struggling with mental illness, we can only help you if you ask for it.

But, wait. Isn't one of the characteristics of severe mental illness not having an accurate sense of reality? Doesn't that mean a person may not even realize he or she is mentally ill?"

www.povertyinsights.org

Having several severely mentally ill people in my family, over my lifetime, this issue is important to me and the neglect we offer them is a national disgrace.

#18 | Posted by danni at 2018-11-07 08:38 AM | Reply