Monday, November 05, 2018

Lowe's Cos. Inc. said Monday that it will close 51 North American stores by Feb. 1, including two in Illinois. The North Carolina-based retailing giant (NYSE: LOW) said it's closing the stores "to focus on its most profitable stores and improve the overall health of its store portfolio."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Company Press Release:

Close 20 U.S. stores. Most associates at these stores will be extended opportunities to transition to a similar role at a nearby Lowe's store. The majority of impacted stores are located within 10 miles of another Lowe's store.

Close 31 Canadian stores and other locations.

Comments

Following Lowes closure of all Orchard Supply Hardware stores that was announced last year and you have a company that may be in trouble.

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-11-05 05:46 PM | Reply

MAGA! Winning! #RedWave

#2 | Posted by JOE at 2018-11-05 06:02 PM | Reply

Sears, K-Mart, Toys-R-Us, Lowes, Orchard Supply, Brookstone, Fresh Market, Chipolte, Starbucks, H&R Block, Kroger, Lord & Taylor, Subway, Bon-Ton, GNC, J Crew, Abercrombie & Fitch, Foot Locker, Best Buy, JC Penny, Sams Club, Macy's, Gap, Banana Republic, Teavanna, Ann Taylor, Michael Cors are all closing stores, because the economy is booming.

"The economy is booming, because of me", Trumpy-Dumpy.

There are ten applications for every skilled job and hundreds for unskilled labor.

#3 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-11-05 06:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I've never liked shopping at Lowe's. They just don't have that hardware store feel, it's like going to a department store to buy a paint brush or a package of sandpaper.

Note that they're closing the store nearest to where we live. BTW, it's literally across the street from a Home Depot that was there years before they opened the Lowe's, which I always thought was a big mistake.

And for our friends North of the border, the closings are even more extreme, 31 stores versus 20 in the States.

OCU

#4 | Posted by OCUser at 2018-11-05 06:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#4 | POSTED BY OCUSER

So, you've gotten too lazy to type out, "Old Caduser"?

:-)

#5 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-11-05 06:33 PM | Reply

It's brighter and cleaner in any given Lowesthan it is in any Home Depot.
Home Depot just happens to be more convenient so I go there.

#6 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2018-11-05 06:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Those closures have little to do with Trump and everything to do with Amazon and other online retailers.

Nice try though.

#7 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-11-05 06:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Nice try though.

#7 | POSTED BY FakeLawyer

It's cute you are still white knighting for your Orange Fuhrer.

#8 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2018-11-05 06:58 PM | Reply

This past Spring Lowes dropped their price for Weber charcoal to $12 for a 20 pound bag. I bought several bags as that brand is great for low/slow cooking. This Fall Lowe's quit carrying Weber charcoal and I believe that is proving to be the beginning of the end for them.

#9 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-11-05 06:59 PM | Reply

I've always 'signed' my posts with 'OCU'...

#10 | Posted by OCUser at 2018-11-06 12:40 AM | Reply

I've always 'signed' my posts with 'OCU'...

#10 | POSTED BY OCUSER

I know.

But your screen name was always "Old Caduser" (the spelling might be slightly off).

It had a ring to it that I always enjoyed - the fact I also enjoyed reading your posts is a bonus.

For some strange reason I always had it in my top-3 personal favorite DR handles - the other 2 being - Baby Huey and Turd Ferguson.

#11 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-11-06 01:17 AM | Reply

It's cute you are still white knighting for your Orange Fuhrer.

#8 | POSTED BY ABORTED_MONSON

Brick and mortar retailers have been closing for years as online sales increase in proportion.

That's not exactly as secret.

#12 | Posted by jpw at 2018-11-06 09:22 AM | Reply

Home Depot seems to be set up more for the contractor and Lowes the homeowner.

I was just was in Lowes last week shopping for a fire pit and they only had 2 to choose from. So, I went home shopped Amazon and found what I wanted and had it the next day

sad, but online is the way everything is going. things always change, nothing ever stays the same

#13 | Posted by Maverick at 2018-11-06 09:36 AM | Reply

So many nonsense generalizations.

I recently used a small concrete contractor who only uses Lowes premixed concrete bags because of its superior strength.

While Amazon offers an amazing array of products and cannot be beat for finding CDs and books, they will never supply plywood or 2X4s. We still need hardware stores and lumber yards.

Costco remains my all-time favorite store.

#14 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-11-06 10:29 AM | Reply

Orchard Supply and Warehouse was similar to Lowe's and Home Depot.

Orchard shut down all it's locations in August.

Now Lowe's is shutting down.

Went to Home Depot two weeks ago. That place was packed!

#15 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-11-06 10:34 AM | Reply

--will never supply plywood or 2X4s. We still need hardware stores and lumber yards.

And that's about it. Everything else can be shipped to your door.

#16 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-11-06 10:35 AM | Reply

Trump -------: "The economy is booming we are creating the mostest everest jobs ever!

Average American: "I know, I have 3 of them and still can't make rent"

#17 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2018-11-06 11:01 AM | Reply

Hatter

Obama say it's booming, trying to take credit

#18 | Posted by Maverick at 2018-11-06 12:11 PM | Reply