Sunday, October 28, 2018

Michael Grothaus: Recently, an old method used by the U.S. Army to help soldiers fall to sleep in less than ideal conditions (like battlefields) has resurfaced. The Independent says the technique was first described in a book from 1981 called Relax and Win: Championship Performance by Lloyd Bud Winter.

Comments

I'll have to try this. Normally I just use a baseball bat, but then my insomnia is caused by nightmares.

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-10-28 10:39 AM | Reply

Just smoke a bunch of indica.

#2 | Posted by patron at 2018-10-28 11:54 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#2 That's the ticket I ride st night, along with binaural relaxation. music

#3 | Posted by Karabekian at 2018-10-28 02:30 PM | Reply

We were taught this in the Corps, and I still use it every night. My wife used to heckle me for it but she started doing it when she was pregnant with our son and now she does it as well.

It takes a while to get your body used to it (about 10 days for me) but it works amazingly well.

I also mentally set an alarm in my head for 6:30 am (with a backup) and it also works.

#4 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-10-28 02:44 PM | Reply

4: Dude, I'm sure you are completely awesome, in your own mind.

#5 | Posted by woe_is_W at 2018-10-28 09:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Sets his own bones.

#6 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-10-28 09:38 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Sets his own bones.

#6 | POSTED BY REDIAL AT 2018-10-28 09:38 PM | FLAG: | FUNNY: 1: Naturally, haven't you? Next you're gong to tell us you do not even suture your own cuts/wounds ;)

#7 | Posted by MSgt at 2018-10-28 10:19 PM | Reply

"Sets his own bones."

Does it count if you set the same bone, night after night?

You know. To fall asleep. In two minutes.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-10-28 10:25 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

I'm sure you are completely awesome.

#5 | POSTED BY WOE_IS_W AT 2018-10-28 09:11 PM

Thanks for recognizing my complete and utter superiority!

#9 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-10-28 11:27 PM | Reply

I've been doing something similar for years. We learned autogentic relaxation is college psych classes, and combined it with visualization techniques that allowed us to do things like control our heart rates and body temperature... not by will power, but by recalling the feeling we had as we saw the meter move up or down.

For insomnia, I've used the focusing of attention on breath and relaxing muscle groups
without stretching them by silently reciting a progression of suggestion of feelings of heaviness of each muscle group, of relaxation, and peace of mind.

Something simple and short like: "I feel quite quiet. My mind and my body feel heavy, relaxed, and quiet. I am relaxed." Then focus attention on muscle groups from toes and feet to legs and up through your body all the way to your face.

When thoughts came to our internal dialogue, we didn't try to stop them, but visualized them as rolling slowly across a digital bill board, like the one in Times Square, say. That slowedsthem down enough that they eventually cease.

There are many vids on using autogentic relaxation techniques, here's a couple;

www.youtube.com

www.youtube.com

I bet there's an ap for that... there is!

itunes.apple.com

#10 | Posted by Corky at 2018-10-28 11:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

When in combat, the military only have to give you one hour of sleep. Especially during deliberate operations..but after being up for three days straight, I rarely needed a procedure to fall asleep quickly.

#11 | Posted by boaz at 2018-10-29 09:28 AM | Reply

Sets his own bones.
#6 | POSTED BY REDIAL AT 2018-10-28 09:38 PM | FLAG: | FUNNY: 1

Anyone remember that old GITMBOY post from like 10 years ago about how amazing he was that occasionally surfaces? I think Joe or Laura kept a copy somewhere. That was the best.

#12 | Posted by bartimus at 2018-10-29 03:24 PM | Reply

Once your body feels like nothing more than a loosely formed lump of clay, try to clear your mind for 10 seconds. If thoughts come naturally, let them pass–just keep your body loose and limp. After a few more seconds you mind should feel clearer.

This explains why Trump gets by on 3 hours of sleep a night.

#13 | Posted by bored at 2018-10-29 07:54 PM | Reply