Saturday, October 13, 2018

Rogue drones have nearly caused air accidents, have been used as offensive weapons, to deliver drugs to prisoners, and to spy on people. So how can we fight back? This summer a packed Airbus A321 came within 100ft (30m) of disaster after encountering a drone at 15,500ft.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

And the number of near-misses of this sort has trebled over the last three years, with 92 incidents reported last year in the UK alone. Dozens were classified as involving a serious chance of a collision.

Comments

I've been really tempted to buy one of these things but I suspect it soon won't be worth the aggravation.

#1 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-10-12 10:38 PM | Reply

I want one of the good ones. But right now, I have my eye on too many guitars.

#2 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-10-12 11:08 PM | Reply

I've been eyeing an Inspire 2, but a lot of coin for something that might get shot.

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-10-12 11:13 PM | Reply

Yeah, the DJI products dominate.

#4 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-10-12 11:16 PM | Reply

If I had one, I'd never put it in jeopardy of being shot - like in a strangers backyard.

I'd like it for aerial nature photography and general urban shots.

#5 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-10-12 11:18 PM | Reply

I'd like it for aerial nature photography...

That's how it would get shot here.

#6 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-10-12 11:21 PM | Reply

Really? By serious hunters, or just yahoos in the woods?

#7 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-10-12 11:29 PM | Reply

Come to think of it, I have to occasionally visit mountaintop sites with radar, microwave, etc and I do see signs shot up.

and sometime times the telco and power terminal boxes.

#8 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-10-12 11:31 PM | Reply

Really? By serious hunters, or just yahoos in the woods?

Both. Serious hunters would think you were using it to spot game, which is illegal, so they would feel quite righteous shooting it down. The idiots that shoot up the road signs would just do it for ----- and giggles.

#9 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-10-12 11:49 PM | Reply

If I had one, I'd never put it in jeopardy of being shot - like anywhere in America.

^
There you go.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-10-12 11:57 PM | Reply

I'd arm my drone so it could defend itself.
I know it would be hard to spot the shooter, so I would just program it to shoot heat signatures until it was out of ammo.

#11 | Posted by bored at 2018-10-13 12:09 AM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY REDIAL AT 2018-10-12 11:13 PM | REPLY

Do you have any now? Unless you are a professional, the Inspire 2 is not worth the money. A Phantom 2 is the platform people should build their first experience on.

#12 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-10-13 09:26 AM | Reply

We use an Inspire 1 and a few smaller ones at work.

#13 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-10-13 04:01 PM | Reply