Friday, October 12, 2018

A small but increasing number of children in the United States are not getting some or all of their recommended vaccinations. The percentage of children under 2 years old who haven't received any vaccinations has quadrupled in the last 17 years, according to federal health data released Thursday.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

According to the CDC:Although the proportion of children who received no vaccine doses by age 24 months was low, this proportion increased gradually from 0.9% for children born in 2011 to 1.3% for children born in 2015. Coverage was lower for most vaccines among uninsured children and those insured by Medicaid, compared with those having private health insurance, and for children living outside of metropolitan statistical areas* (MSAs), compared with those living in MSA principal cities. These disparities could be reduced with greater awareness and use of the Vaccines for Children† (VFC) program, eliminating missed opportunities to vaccinate children during visits to health care providers, and minimizing interruptions in health insurance coverage.

Comments

People, vaccinate your kids.

And the parents need to get their flu shots.

#1 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-10-12 07:05 AM | Reply

Stupid people doing stupid things that ends up harming us all.

#2 | Posted by 726 at 2018-10-12 09:04 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

If there are no other volunteers I will do the slapping personally, I totally resent these self-important a******s who endanger everyone else's kids with their non-scientific opinions.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2018-10-12 09:54 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"But, you know, like, I really am a scientist" - Jill Stein, on Who is America?

#4 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-10-12 11:43 AM | Reply

"Their parents need a good hard slap to the side of their heads. Then they need to get their kids, dogs, cats, etc. vaccinated and quit being such idiots.
If there are no other volunteers I will do the slapping personally"

What an awesome campaign ad. I'm sure this will get through to people.

#5 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-10-12 11:47 AM | Reply

"And the parents need to get their flu shots."

Available at your local pub.

#6 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-10-12 11:48 AM | Reply

#5 there is no ad that would work. Our society has passed a point of no return whereby it will only slide further into a greedy, me me me driven free for all.

We're willfully turning our country into a second world nation.

#7 | Posted by jpw at 2018-10-12 12:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

If there are no other volunteers I will do the slapping personally"
What an awesome campaign ad. I'm sure this will get through to people.

#5 | POSTED BY SENTINEL

Agreed. So wrong.

For their exemplary efforts at protecting their kids from the ravages and lies of modern medicine and greedy corporations, they deserve a high five.....in the face.....with a chair...

Show videos of that and it would be a great vaccine campaign ad.

#8 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-10-12 12:28 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

This is a result of the sad state of anti-science created by conservatives.

#9 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-10-12 12:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

The same plague-spreaders who want dead and crippled children over a belief, want to save those fetuses.

The irony is sickening.

#10 | Posted by getoffmedz at 2018-10-12 12:46 PM | Reply

"And the parents need to get their flu shots."

Have to admit, I never go for flu shots. I recently read that the CDC admits last year's flu shots were largely ineffective and useless against exposure to the most common flues of last year. Side affects can be nearly as dangerous as the flu itself. I avoid antibiotics at all costs because they reduce your immunities to illnesses. I have only actually been sick 3 times in my life and only hospitalized once. I'm old but tough. I know....famous last words.

#11 | Posted by danni at 2018-10-12 12:49 PM | Reply

I had some gen x punk tell me the polio thing is a hoax .

Personally I know for a fact I had friends in the neighborhoods who had survived polio. They were the kids just a couple years older that walked on their toes or had a limp during the years of their recovery. It was not a lot... but not uncommon.
I've known hearing impaired born during the early 60's because mom caught rubella. I remember kids getting encephalitis from measles.

I had the usual mumps, chicken pox, whooping cough, and measles my kids not a one. My grandson was also spared those because my daughter didn't go for the okie doke conspiracy b.s.

#12 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2018-10-12 01:03 PM | Reply

#11 | Posted by danni

The ignorance dripping from that post is amazing.

#13 | Posted by jpw at 2018-10-12 01:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The ignorance dripping from that post is amazing.
#13 | POSTED BY JPW

Flu shots are for saps and whankers.

#14 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-10-12 01:27 PM | Reply

Flu shots are for saps and whankers.

#14 | Posted by SheepleSchism

And people who work in a healthcare setting, the elderly, immune compromised, pregnant women and the very young.

#15 | Posted by jpw at 2018-10-12 01:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Side affects can be nearly as dangerous as the flu itself"

Taking that at face value, the side effects are rare, and you are far more likely to get the flu without the shot. So I'd risk the remote possibility side effects that are *nearly* as dangerous as the flu rather than get the flu itself.

"This is a result of the sad state of anti-science created by conservatives."

I'm a liberal, and I will say there are plenty of loopy liberals who are just as anti-science in this case. I don't like the "both sides" argument but it certainly applies here.

#16 | Posted by dibblda at 2018-10-12 02:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Have to admit, I never go for flu shots.

In one breath you are advocating vaccines and then next you are against them. Make up your mind.

#17 | Posted by 726 at 2018-10-12 02:40 PM | Reply

There's no need to vaccinate all your kids. Only vaccinate the ones you want to keep.

#18 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2018-10-12 03:14 PM | Reply | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

Vaccines are how atheist nerds get rich and give autism to your kids. Just say no.
God and your spirit energy will keep your kids safe as long as you stay in the central and south USA.
Buhleive me!

#19 | Posted by bored at 2018-10-12 03:52 PM | Reply

#11 | Posted by danni

That's not actually what the science is saying from what I understand of it. What they have found is it does reduce the effectiveness of your immune system while you are on the antibiotics. It also impacts the resistance of the bacterial infection it is fighting because of cell interactions.

That said there are definitely times to be on antibiotics. The important thing is to eat right and exercise to rebuild and keep your system strong after. With all the pneumonia that has went through this area this year (I'm at the other end of I-75) you don't even play with it. I had it last winter and I know 3 people within my circle that ended up with it this SUMMER alone people in relatively good shape and in their 40s... 2 Hospitalizations - Don't like antibiotics, didn't want to go to the doctor - and unfortunately one of them died. I have been predisposed to some illnesses for my entire life and I don't play around anymore trying to outlast the "colds" I get.

#20 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-10-12 04:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

My mom is 80 and gets the flu shot every year.

#21 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-10-12 05:15 PM | Reply

#21 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

Now, surely you're not using the colloquial meaning of "flu" when you make this comment, are you?

#22 | Posted by jpw at 2018-10-12 10:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I used to get the flu almost every year, since childhood.
I'd also get a cold at some point during the year. Usually summer time.
I then started getting flu shots.
Over the past 15 years, I've had the flu maybe once. I am beyond happy.
I'm sold. I plan on always getting that flu shot.

#23 | Posted by YAV at 2018-10-12 10:21 PM | Reply

"She's sick for 3-5 days after the flu, then she catches the flu twice before spring."

You only get one type of flu once. One strain circles the globe yearly. Are you sure she has the flu?

#24 | Posted by dibblda at 2018-10-13 03:00 AM | Reply

Are you sure she has the flu?

#24 | POSTED BY DIBBLDA

He's using the term as colloquialism.

#25 | Posted by jpw at 2018-10-13 03:01 AM | Reply

I'm immune suppressed due to my MS medications and I skip the flu shot.

Just about everyone I talk to with MS who gets the flu shot gets a flare right after lasting 1-2 days. Starting in October I work 50-70 hours a week and can't afford 2 days of flare so I skip it. I have yet to have gotten the flu. The nice thing about my work is if someone has the flu they usually cancel their fireplace appointment (don't feel up to dealing with a service tech) so the vast majority of my interactions with the public are healthy people. One day this strategy will bite me in the rear and I'll get the flu and be laid up for a week plus a MS flare lasting a few more days, assuming I live through it I'll probably change my tune at that point.

My youngest son is a hypochondriac so we get him the flu shot every year, if we don't he will claim a cold is the flu and we will never hear the end of it. My other two kids don't get it but at 17 and 23 we let it be their decision we don't push one way or the other. They both have my immune system from when I was younger and if they get sick they are better in 12 hours. So far no flu and they haven't asked for the flu shot.

My wife works retail in a toy store I ask her to get it every year, every year she declines so far no flu but if she ever gets it due to my immune system one of us will be sleeping in the guest room.

As far as the standard immunizations we get all those. I just had a tetanus booster a couple months ago. Our local DHHS offers free vaccines a couple days a year, no need based just come on in and get jabbed, so even when we were flat broke we would get it done.

#26 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-10-13 06:36 AM | Reply

1918, a hundred years ago but not that long ago in the scheme of things. Between 3 and 5 % of the world's population died of the flu.

I knew kids who had polio.

Your kids don't need to be infected with cowpox to prevent smallpox because my generation did it and we have the scar on our arm to prove it.

Antibiotics are for secondary infections, viruses don't care .

Chickenpox, let me tell you about shingles. Painful, I get mine on my forehead so everyone can enjoy it.

Could go on and on but you get my drift.

#27 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-10-13 08:44 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

In case you were wondering where it was most prevalent

#28 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-10-14 10:38 AM | Reply

Per the link in post # 28 ...

More than a quarter of kindergarteners in Camas County, Idaho, lack at least some vaccinations because their parents have opted for nonmedical exemptions, researchers said Tuesday.

Idaho has eight of the top 10 counties in the country with nonmedical vaccine exemptions, the reports finds.

The other two are in Wisconsin and Utah.

Trump country.