Saturday, October 13, 2018

Walmart is interested in what's going on in your body while you shop. The want to collect this data is a particularly creepy way: through the handles of their shopping carts. The company recently submitted a patent to the U.S. Patent and Trademark office called System And Method For A Biometric Feedback Cart Handle, CBInsights reports.

Comments

I like how Walmart spins the story: "it's for customer safety!"

Yeah. It's always for safety....

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-10-11 07:03 PM | Reply

Yikes!

I usually go to Walmart once a week to get the staples I'm thinking my shopping habits will need to change should this ever come online. I don't need Walmart to know how much my heart flutters when I see a big pair of yeast rolls.

#2 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-10-11 09:28 PM | Reply

They can't get your info if the sensors "break".

#3 | Posted by 726 at 2018-10-12 09:08 AM | Reply

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2018-10-12 09:59 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#5 | Posted by byrdman at 2018-10-12 12:52 PM | Reply

"I wonder if they would be fooled by a pair of gloves, say batting or golf gloves. You'd look funny but they wouldn't get any info on you."

Wear sunglasses too.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2018-10-12 02:51 PM | Reply

"They need to have fingerprint scanners in the cart handles to find wanted suspects."

Probably someone could invent a cart handle than can somehow magnetically keep you from letting go.

#7 | Posted by danni at 2018-10-12 02:52 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Guess they'll have to stop passing out those free handle sanitizers

#8 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-10-13 10:05 AM | Reply

I walked into Publix a couple days ago and an employee there insisted I use a hand sanitizer on the shopping cart. Never happened before. I am not a big believer in hand sanitizers. Somehow, I've survived 67 years without them and I'm not going to start being a germ freak now.

#9 | Posted by danni at 2018-10-13 10:36 AM | Reply

POSTED BY DANNI AT 2018-10-13 10:36 AM | REPLY

That's one of the dumbest ideas ever. How are you to develop an immune system doing that?? I see it all of the time miss prisses and mr prisses wiping them down like mad. I laugh at em and go on.

#10 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-10-13 10:43 AM | Reply

Grocery carts, I don't miss them at all.
Delivery is so much more convenient.

#11 | Posted by bored at 2018-10-13 10:58 AM | Reply

DANNI

I'm not germophobic either but I do believe in that ounce of prevention thingy.

#12 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-10-13 11:08 AM | Reply

I don't know what they call that rolling thing that rides your groceries up to the cashier but,

I hate all the plastic bags for all the vegetables and fruit I buy and never used them. Then one day a cashier said I should. I said why all sorts of people have touched this, I'm not worried about that. She said, you don't know how much chicken blood is on this rolling thing .

Though I seldom use the wipes, when I do it's for my fellows protection ,not mine. I'm filthy and that protects me.

#13 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-10-13 11:22 AM | Reply

Not a problem for me.

I went to Walmart once in the last 2 years and that's only because I needed a prescription for antibiotics filled and it was on a Sunday. I had a staff infection develop in a cut on my elbow so I had to use urgent care. My mom and pop shop pharmacy was closed.

I don't shop at Walmart.....period....

#14 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-10-13 01:29 PM | Reply

Probably subsidized by us taxpayers.

#15 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-10-13 02:06 PM | Reply

LFTHNDTHRDS

Is Target any better?

#16 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-10-13 02:31 PM | Reply

No. I shop Costco or local mom and pop.

#17 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-10-14 08:01 AM | Reply