Tuesday, October 09, 2018

Everywhere I go people stop to ask, "Are these the worst of times?" No, they're not; history reassures us.

Comments

College educated women will save the country in 2018 and 2020.

#1 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-10-09 07:22 AM | Reply

Overly complicated explanations about why the extreme right needs to be totally rejected from a perspective of survival. I ask all of you now, point me towards any nation on the planet where the extreme right lead them to higher living standards, personal freedom, or even just basic stability? Yet, today we have one third of our country convinced that is the direction we want to go and they control so many red states that they effectively control the nation. They will end up suffering along with the rest of us if they actually get their way but you can't tell them that now, they won't listen. Dangerous times because of stupid people who haven't opened a history book in their entire lives. This isn't a new phenomenon, it's a repeat of disasters that happened to other nations many times. America was always able to avoid the worst of it but America wasn't led by Trump and his army of morons back then.

#2 | Posted by danni at 2018-10-09 08:55 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Kudos to Maher for having viewpoints which challenge his own on his show, even if he doesn't really listen to them. Her point about how calling Trump a traitor and other such hyperbole isn't going to change people's minds was dead on, but it will probably go over the heads of many people here just leave like it went over Maher's.

#3 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-10-09 01:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

That is exactly correct, and you see the blind rage here on the DR on a daily basis. Unless and until leaders on the Left can get their people to take a deep breath, view things rationally and strategically and promote policies that the independent voters can unite with them on, the GOP is going to continue to move forward since they are much better (for now) at seizing that middle ground.

#4 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-10-09 01:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#2 | POSTED BY DANNI

Your entire post is an example of the partisan toxicity:

"It is time for us to heed Abraham Lincoln's plea that we engage together in "calm and enlarged consideration ranging far above personal and partisan politics." I believe the renewal of the moral vision and purpose that built and sustained us in past turbulent times can do so again."

You're not acting as part of the solution, Danni.

The MSM, Dems, you, and others here are seeding and feeding the flames.

#5 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-10-09 01:18 PM | Reply

- Unless and until leaders on the Left can get their people to take a deep breath,

HRC, Pelosi, Schumer, Feinstein, Harris and Waters are the lead screamers for the #resistance.

They're all but guilty of sedition.

#6 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-10-09 01:20 PM | Reply

Don't forget Spartacus!

#7 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-10-09 01:26 PM | Reply

As for Maher, he is so used to having people gobble up the talking points of "isn't he a traitor" and "he won't leave" that he is visibly uncomfortable when someone who is much smarter and better informed than he will ever be basically tells him he is being ridiculous. I counted at least three times that he looks over at his producer (on stage left) for help and none is forthcoming.

I would challenge all the members of the DR Left to watch the Maher squirm through this interview while Dr. Goodwin, albeit gently, eviscerates his talking points.

Brilliant.

#8 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-10-09 01:33 PM | Reply

Hey dummies -

Trump is a traitor.

What Kearns was saying is now isn't the time for that because we need to first have the Mueller investigation fully run its course.

#9 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-10-09 01:55 PM | Reply

-Kudos to Maher for having viewpoints which challenge his own on his show, even if he doesn't really listen to them.

absolutely. Maher will invite folks on his show that he knows will challenge him. People on the left and the right.

#10 | Posted by eberly at 2018-10-09 02:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Not yet. Give it some time. At least we haven't started shooting at each other yet. But if we do...stand the F by.

November looks to be a critical juncture in the history of America.

#11 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-10-09 02:01 PM | Reply

What Kearns was saying is now isn't the time for that because we need to first have the Mueller investigation fully run its course before jumping to that conclusion.

FTFY, how on earth did you miss that part of it? She clearly avoided that softball because she wants the investigation to finish before concluding that...which is the point.

#12 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-10-09 02:07 PM | Reply

I tend to agree with Goodwin. IT's not that bad but I'm usually of the mind that things are never as good as they seem and never as bad as they seem.

That was advice I received early in my career regarding the ups and downs of sales and it's always stuck with me and seems to apply everywhere in life.

#13 | Posted by eberly at 2018-10-09 02:08 PM | Reply

Oh wait, that's right, the Left comes to the conclusion before they scream for the investigation, and if the investigation doesn't match their previously reached conclusion, they scream it was a sham, the fix was in and then rant an rave until the next DRama comes along.

Carry on.

#14 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-10-09 02:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I wasn't alive during the time of JFK, the Cuban missile crisis, and the Vietnam war......but we had a president who many thought was a communist and then we ended up in Vietnam with so many deaths, both our own and those we caused, etc....

we've had worse times, IMO.

#15 | Posted by eberly at 2018-10-09 02:11 PM | Reply

-November looks to be a critical juncture in the history of America.

I can promise everyone this.....I'll live with the results...no matter what.

we have many here who are going to be soooooooo disappointed if they don't get their way.

#16 | Posted by eberly at 2018-10-09 02:13 PM | Reply

"I counted at least three times that he looks over at his producer (on stage left) for help and none is forthcoming."

Maybe he was looking for water because he had cotton mouth.

#17 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-10-09 02:20 PM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

I agree that the professionals doing the investigation need to stay above the fray.

But my mind was made up during the campaign when Trump INVITED Putin to hack the United States. That is being a traitor.

Even the ghost of Benedict Arnold thinks you chuckleheads are being naive.

#18 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-10-09 02:28 PM | Reply

He certainly was at a loss for words each of the three times that she effectively "shushed" him, he definitely didn't expect it from her. Usually when the host of a talk show looks at his/her producer they are looking for some kind of lifeline.

#19 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-10-09 02:30 PM | Reply

I can promise everyone this.....I'll live with the results...no matter what.

Seems reasonable.

If you didn't off yourself when the scary black man became president then you'll be ok if Humpy don't get his way.

As for me..

I didn't off myself when Bush "stayed the course" to destruction of the U.S. and world economy.

I'll stick around too for a while. After all... it IS the Greatest Show on Earth right now.

And I still have barrels of Costco popcorn to eat.

#20 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-10-09 02:31 PM | Reply

Thanks for proving my point in #14.

#21 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-10-09 02:31 PM | Reply

If that is what passes for optimism from Donner...I'll take it.

#22 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-10-09 02:32 PM | Reply

-If you didn't off yourself when the scary black man became president

I voted for the scary black man.

#23 | Posted by eberly at 2018-10-09 02:41 PM | Reply

Re #22

I never bet against America.

Sometimes she takes a long time to do the right things.

But, eventually she does.

Obama was her response to The Bush Error.

And Trump was her response to Obama.

I want to see what America's response to Trump will be.

Don't you?

#24 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-10-09 02:44 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I voted for the scary black man.

#23 | POSTED BY EBERLY

Kinda thought you did. You seem very balanced. Most of people the time.

☯️

#25 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-10-09 02:46 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Most of the time!

(Siri is going crazy on me today!)

#26 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-10-09 02:47 PM | Reply

Yes. That was an attempt at a compliment.

😎

#27 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-10-09 02:49 PM | Reply

She's right. Sorta, the 10 million people that lost their homes and 500,000 homeless people would disagree. But, for a full return to the worst of times, Republicans need to complete their planned demolition of everything FDR fixed. Democrats will not stop this. They don't have the balls to fight on Republican terms.

Only mass street protests can stop the Republican agenda. This is how a complete demolition of Obamacare was slowed. But, that hasn't stopped Republicans from chipping away at the edges.

"Originalists" would like to destroy the US post office, as a public service, even though its charter is written into our constitution, putting the lie to "originalist". Republicans are relentless in their efforts to capture all large revenue streams as profits for their donors.

#28 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-10-09 02:51 PM | Reply

-I want to see what America's response to Trump will be.

Indeed.

I don't know if we'll get a point where Trump is thrown out of office...but I do want him voted out next time.

I run in conservative circles so it's a difficult thing for me to be candid with everyone in my life.

I can tell you this...what entertains and ties folks to Trump is how much he irritates the left.

It's not really an independent opinion of his job performance....it's merely a game of "let's see who Trump can piss off next and how much".

Goodwin's point is to restrain and stop with the shouts of "Traitor!!!". She's 100% right. Undecided folks won't respond to that well. Goodwin understands that.

#29 | Posted by eberly at 2018-10-09 02:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I have an enormous amount of respect for Doris Kearns Goodwin. I've heard her on NPR several times and seen her interviewed on TV and in print, and she always impresses me with her childlike enthusiasm for sharing her broad-based knowledge, for her firm grasp on historical context and for her advice to stay grounded in restraint and logic. The only alternative is chaos. I really should get her new book.

But make no mistake, she is not a fan of Trump. "Empathy is the most important characteristic in a leader, and it's what's missing in the current president," she said. That happens to be the second time today that I've heard about the importance of empathy in a leader--the other one was from a CEO talking about the need for empathy in the workplace, among friends and family, and really, with everyone you meet. Good lessons for me and anyone reading this.

#30 | Posted by cbob at 2018-10-09 03:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Eberly, I had not read your comment before posting mine, but I think we agree on quite a bit here. Sometimes I think you're not that bad, for a conservative. :-P

#31 | Posted by cbob at 2018-10-09 03:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

-but I think we agree on quite a bit here

yes, we do

#32 | Posted by eberly at 2018-10-09 03:10 PM | Reply

"let's see who Trump can piss off next and how much".

Which is exactly why he does the late night tweets, and the people predisposed to hate every fiber of his being have their heads explode on a daily basis because of it.

I'm no fan of Trump (Corky's bleating notwithstanding) and think that he is a classic narcissist, but I do believe that he is intentionally playing with his critics with his stupid tweets, and they fall for it time and time again.

#33 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-10-09 04:42 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

It's not the way a president should behave, ROC. People can and do disagree every day without being -------- about it. His demeanor and his inability to speak with respect to anybody who's not already part of his base is childish and counterproductive to America, both domestically and internationally. Between Trump, talk radio, Fox News, a few of the folks on MSNBC and Internet tough guys, we've divided largely into two camps, coarsened our national discourse, increased anxiety levels and made it harder for one side to give a crap about the other. And if you don't give a crap about Segment X of your country, you might not feel inclined to fight for that segment or, for that matter, for America.

#34 | Posted by cbob at 2018-10-09 05:03 PM | Reply

#33 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

Good. I hope he keeps up that strategery right up to Nov.

A pissed off critic is a motivated voter.

#35 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-10-09 05:22 PM | Reply

I don't disagree, and have never felt that Trump acted even slightly Presidential, ever.

That being said, every day here on the DR you see someone becoming incontinent over some stupid tweet, which is entirely the effect that Trump is looking for. He will undoubtedly keep it up, we shall see if it helps, hurts or just makes the people who already hate Trump just hate him a little bit more.

#36 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-10-09 07:08 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Trump asked Russians to get Clinton emails. They immediately started trying.
www.cnn.com

Russian interference in the 2016 United States elections
en.wikipedia.org

The fact is that Trump asked the Russians to attack America, and then they did. It doesn't matter if Trump colluded directly, or was too incompetent to collude directly or indirectly ... the fact of the matter is that he solicited America's enemies to attack America, which they then did, and then gave Russia and Putin cover from any American public backlash.

I like everything that Kearns is saying, especially about empathy ... but it's her persistence about empathy that reminds me yet again that ONLY Republicans are allowed to call the other side traitors (Tea Party and Obama), and all sorts of other violent and vile names (see Hillary). Republicans have been calling Democrats traitors and implying acts of treason on them directly and indirectly as long as I can remember (and I'm over 50 yrs of age).

People, this is all very simple -- Trump is a traitor to America, period.

Democrats need to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time when it comes to calling Trump a traitor while explaining to ALL voters that America is the wealthiest country in history (and the strongest militarily), and we as a country are more than capable of providing healthcare, education, and jobs with living wages for everyone.

#37 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-10-09 08:31 PM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER AT 2018-10-09 01:18 PM | REPLY

I hear this argument but it seems more than a bit asymmetrical to me and do you really think this would change much for the undecided-eds ?

On the one hand, you have a ton of undignified, reprehensible behavior from the man in charge and increasingly his party but the criticism to their opponents is to "take a deep breath, view things rationally and strategically".

How do you see the structure changing with that approach? Does Heidi Heitkamp get re-elected? Does Texas turn blue? My honest take based on the behavior we've seen over the past few years is that this mythical "center" that craves reasoned debate is a myth.

I pose this question to you & perhaps Eberly because you seem to be the closest approximation to the center - open & susceptible to earnest argument on this site.

Hell even Ken Bone when he did Bill Maher passed some comment that when he did the townhall for undecideds "90% of them" had their minds made up already prior to 2016 election.

Point being that if you listen to Fox or MSNBC or AM radio that the lines are vividly drawn. A complete dichotomy such that it's hard to imagine someone on the fence who doesn't pay attention to sources such as these is out there waiting to be convinced which way to go. Happy to be proven or shown to be wrong. Closest approximation might be 3rd party votes which are still imo too small to matter imo.

#38 | Posted by AfterMaff at 2018-10-09 08:35 PM | Reply

-that ONLY Republicans are allowed to call the other side traitors

And then 2 sentences later....

-People, this is all very simple -- Trump is a traitor to America, period.

You and plenty others call him a traitor 100 times a day here.

#39 | Posted by eberly at 2018-10-09 08:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Those knuckleheads will be equivicating longer than Trump's orange fake comb over.

I'm the moderate.

I'm the only one that demands full accounting of the nations money (conservative) to take care of We The People (liberal) ... and there's still plenty of money for a untouchable military.

All of Bernie's main plaform issues have strong American majorities ... it's just that no one knows the truth about their level of popularity, which is why I supported Bernie.

Talk to me if you want answers.

#40 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-10-09 08:47 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Good questions and points.

If there is a magic formula to figure undecideds then it's a mystery to me.

#41 | Posted by eberly at 2018-10-09 08:48 PM | Reply

"I'm the moderate."

Nobody will ever say you aren't funny, Pinch.

#42 | Posted by eberly at 2018-10-09 08:49 PM | Reply

#39 | POSTED BY EBERLY

Not equal, not the same.

You're taking what I said out of context.

I'm on the other side of 50 ... ever since I can remember Republicans ALWAYS called into question Democrats patriotism: Carter, Dukakis, Clinton, Kerry, Obama, Hillary about a million times.

They swift boated war hero John Kerry turning him into a suspect agitator undermining America.

But now Trump was caught in Helsinki playing Putin's-------------- behind closed doors ... and people suddenly get uncomfortable about pointing out the obvious that Trump is a traitor and is selling out America? Not, me.

I call it like I see it.

#43 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-10-09 09:00 PM | Reply

#39 | POSTED BY EBERLY

Don't vote 3rd party -- vote straight Democratic ticket in 2018 and 2020 ...

I know veterans who were lifelong Republicans who are disgusted with Trump and who are voting straight Democratic ticket this November.

Even high profile Republicans are voting for Democrats next month ...

I left the Republican Party. Now I want Democrat to take over.
www.washingtonpost.com

Lifelong Republican Richard Painter is even running as a Democrats ...

Meet Richard Painter, the anti-Trump former Republican who is running for Senate as a Democrat
www.washingtonpost.com

Straight Dem ticket will help save the country.

#44 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-10-09 09:14 PM | Reply

Loaf,

Bernie's platform is not moderate. Not even close. Calling yourself a moderate and at the same time supporting Sanders' platform is not moderate.

#45 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-10-09 09:23 PM | Reply

The 2 are incompatible.

#46 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-10-09 09:23 PM | Reply

The 2 are incompatible.

#46 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

Because a lazy media says so?

Massive majorities back Bernie Sanders on the issues
www.salon.com

The wrong people everywhere have wrongly framed the issues people want to see happen.

#47 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-10-09 09:32 PM | Reply

Massive majorities back Bernie Sanders on the issues
#47 | POSTED BY PINCHALOAF

Then why would you ever support someone who opposes those issues?

Lemme guess, less evil.

#48 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-10-09 09:43 PM | Reply

Then why would you ever support someone who opposes those issues?

Lemme guess, less evil.

#48 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

You're looking for unicorns again.

#49 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-10-09 09:45 PM | Reply

- unicorns

Bernie isn't a unicorn, and had it not been for Her Highness's ambition and entitlement,

#50 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-10-09 09:48 PM | Reply

#50 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

Your intransigence allowed a REAL live fat orange moron of a unicorn to enter the White House as a Republican.

And he's dragging the country down into the gutter -- it's all in news in case you haven't heard.

#51 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-10-09 09:56 PM | Reply

"we would be enjoying single payer, free state college, taxing the 1%, and less pentagon right now."

Is that a joke?

#52 | Posted by eberly at 2018-10-09 10:01 PM | Reply

#50 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-10-09 09:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

RIGHT.

🦄

#53 | Posted by cbob at 2018-10-09 10:10 PM | Reply

- Your intransigence allowed

So, it's MY FAULT for not going along with Her Bitterness ambitions to dance the nay nay on election night?

I don't think so. I don't vote for Warhawk liars and Wall Street shills.

#54 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-10-09 10:12 PM | Reply

I don't vote for Warhawk liars and Wall Street shills.

Practically speaking, you don't vote at all. You are part of the 'noise' in 'signal to noise ratio'.

Both in the voting booth and on this blog.

#55 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-10-09 10:30 PM | Reply

That's not criticism, it is a path to victory...running in circles and flapping your arms gets you nowhere.

Not at all, as Bill Clinton showed, if you seize the middle you can win against pretty huge odds. More people are moderate than it would appear, especially if you spend time in the echo chamber that are endemic to blogs like the Retort or Redstate.

People who spend a majority of their time on any of those three have already made up their minds and are seeking validation, not information.

Like I said, the people that are fans of those sources don't need to be convinced, it is the people that seek neutral sources (AP, Reuters, the various newswires) that comprise the middle.

#56 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-10-09 10:33 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

'signal to noise ratio'.
#55 | POSTED BY REDIAL

The problem is with the signal itself. the waveform. the frequency. it's amplification, and its loss.

The signal being sold is not the signal being delivered.

The bait and switch signal Obama manufactured from whole cloth is a prime example.

Did you receive the "Hope and Change" signal...or a warble?

#57 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-10-09 10:45 PM | Reply

Well, maybe Jill will kick ass next time.

#58 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-10-09 10:49 PM | Reply

#59 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-10-09 10:51 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

--The GOP will never deliver what Sheeple wants so why waste time and energy ripping the GOP?

Especially considering that 80 to 90 percent of posters do that already.

#60 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-10-09 10:55 PM | Reply

The real effort is getting Dems to see that they've been taken over by frauds.

They say everything you want to hear, but have no intention of delivering anything

but to advance their own prospects.

#61 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-10-09 11:07 PM | Reply

"Sheeple bags on the Democratic Party because it's is only hope for getting candidates who will push an agenda that Sheeple favors."

It's kind of funny that he didn't vote for his only hope, then. Instead he's openly hostile to his only hope.

#62 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-10-09 11:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"running in circles and flapping your arms gets you nowhere."

Worked fine for Trump.

Especially when Trump literally flapped his arms in mockery of that spaz reporter.

The base loved that!

#63 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-10-09 11:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Instead he's openly hostile to his only hope.
#62 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

There is no hope in Goldman Sachs BFF.

GOP-purple-lite isn't a virtue. it's just less evil.

#64 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-10-09 11:28 PM | Reply

Considering how often you do it on a daily basis, I am glad that you think it works.

#65 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-10-09 11:29 PM | Reply

"Instead he's openly hostile to his only hope.
#62 | POSTED BY SNOOFY
There is no hope in Goldman Sachs BFF. "

^
Tell it to JeffJ.
He's the one attempting to, you know, explain how you think, in his typically sloppy and lazy way of thinking.

#66 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-10-09 11:38 PM | Reply

GOP-purple-lite isn't a virtue. it's just less evil.

Yeah, kinda like taking a two year old on a thousand mile journey to safety is less evil than letting them get killed in a drug war.

We get that you don't support either of those, since they're both bad options.

#67 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-10-09 11:41 PM | Reply

"It appears it's an equal opportunity for both sides to call the opposition a traitor."

Much in the way a rape is an equal oppporutnity for both people to get some of the other's person's skin under their fingernails.

#68 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-10-09 11:43 PM | Reply

I don't think so. I don't vote for Warhawk liars and Wall Street shills.

It's not about her, it's about not allowing a traitor into the White House.

If those Republicans in post #37 can understand this situation, then so can you -- you need to get over yourself.

#69 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-10-10 06:14 AM | Reply

People, this is all very simple -- Trump is a traitor to America, period.

#70 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-10-10 06:56 AM | Reply

Yeah, whatever, Doris.

May not be the worst, but things still suck...especially for young sexual predators.

LOL!

#71 | Posted by Angrydad at 2018-10-10 07:59 AM | Reply

"Again ... ONLY Republicans are allowed to call the other side traitors (Tea Party and Obama), and all sorts of other violent and vile names (see Hillary). Republicans have been calling Democrats traitors and implying acts of treason on them directly and indirectly as long as I can remember (and I'm over 50 yrs of age)."

In case you didn't notice, the nasty things they said about Obama didn't work against him. Calling George W Bush a Nazi, fascist, etc failed to unseat him. The circle of death conspiracies about Bill Clinton were just noise. It's not a matter of what you're "allowed" to call the other side, but whether the circumstances make it look like Sore Loser desperation to the electorate. Trump, if he knows anything, understands this.

If you go to a job interview and complain that you got passed up for a promotion by someone who acted like an -------, and you're showing signs that you really want to be an ------- too, how many people do you think will want to hire you? Being an ------- only works in some cases if you already have the job and can deliver enough of what some people want.

#72 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-10-10 09:45 AM | Reply

#72 | POSTED BY SENTINEL

Here you go ...

SOME REPUBLICANS STILL THINK OBAMA WAS BORN IN KENYA AS TRUMP RESURRECTS BIRTHER CONSPIRACY THEORY
www.newsweek.com

BY JULIA GLUM ON 12/11/17 AT 12:54 PM

If you thought birtherism was over, you thought wrong.

Survey results released by YouGov Friday show that 51 percent of Republicans said they think former President Barack Obama was born in Kenya, compared to just 14 percent of Democrats.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, respondents who voted for Donald Trump in the 2016 election were especially convinced of Obama's African origins: Fully 57 percent said it was "definitely true" or "probably true" that the 44th president came from Kenya.

Calling Obama every name in the book has a corrosively cumulative effect.

Trump's Republican Party, explained in one photo
www.vox.com

A monument to what political scientists call "negative partisanship," one of the most important phenomena of our political time.

pbs.twimg.com

This attitude -- hatred of the other party above all else -- is at the heart of so-called "negative partisanship," a concept that Georgetown University's Jonathan Ladd defines as "the tendency to vote for a party not mainly because you like it, but because you are repulsed by the other major party."

This phenomenon, he explains, is why Republican leaders and voters were able to get past their policy disagreements with Trump and vote for him:

They'd rather have a Republican in office, however unorthodox and unqualified, than any kind of Democrat.

The crucial feature about negative partisanship is that it isn't really about policy; it's about identity.

Negative partisanship becomes really powerful, political scientists Alan Abramowitz and Steven Webster write, when "supporters of each party perceive supporters of the opposing party as very different from themselves in terms of their social characteristics and fundamental values."

The other party is your cultural enemy, hostile to people "like you," and therefore must be defeated at all costs -- even if, as in this instance, it means siding with a foreign power.

When negative partisanship is strong, Republicans are willing to believe the worst about Democrats -- and rationalize away any sins committed by Republicans.

Hence why, over the course of four years, you go from Republican voters enthusiastically backing Mitt Romney -- who called Russia America's "No. 1 geopolitical enemy" -- to the vast majority of them supporting Donald Trump through the Russia scandal.

You can see this effect in the polling.

Since Trump's rise, the percentage of Republicans reporting favorable views of Vladimir Putin has roughly tripled.

A corrosively cumulative effect, see?
It's right in front of you.

But again, only Republicans get to call Democrats all sort of violent and vile names, from racial insults to unpatriotic to traitors.

#73 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-10-10 10:45 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

*whoosh*

#74 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-10-10 11:34 AM | Reply

"SOME REPUBLICANS"

You should be focusing on trying to get back the Obama voters you lost in 2016. Those people weren't birthers, and they were just as turned off by the birthers. You're whining that you're "not allowed" to act like a birther and can't figure out why you're in a death spiral.

#75 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-10-10 11:46 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The birthers are Republicans.

You need to tell your Republican douchebag friends that emailing racist Obama emails and chanting Hillary for prison is wrong.

Trump is a traitor, suck on that doofus.

#76 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-10-10 12:17 PM | Reply

Enjoy three more years of Trump, followed by president Penice, doofus.

#77 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-10-10 02:40 PM | Reply

Enjoy three more years of Trump, followed by president Penice, doofus.

#77 | POSTED BY SENTINEL

I rather have my self respect than allow myself to be a brainwashed right-wing Quisling.

Women are leading the charge in taking back the House, and they'll show up again in 2020 regardless if it's Traitor Douchebag or Pence.

#78 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-10-10 03:08 PM | Reply

His name is Penice. Spell and pronounce it right, you douchewashed brainbag.

#79 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-10-10 04:52 PM | Reply

'Leave me alone': Mike Pence's wife reportedly refused to kiss him after Trump won
www.businessinsider.com

Mike Pence = Mike Pwned

#80 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-10-10 07:24 PM | Reply

Mike Penice puts the penice in penicillin.

#81 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-10-10 07:32 PM | Reply

I find it humorous that the Republican Party now considers their 1956 Party Platform to be an "extreme left-wing" document that proposes:

Protect by law, the assets of employee welfare and benefit plans so that workers who are the beneficiaries can be assured of their rightful benefits;

Assure equal pay for equal work regardless of Sex;

Clarify and strengthen the eight-hour laws for the benefit of workers who are subject to federal wage standards on Federal and Federally-assisted construction, and maintain and continue the vigorous administration of the Federal prevailing minimum wage law for public supply contracts;

Extend the protection of the Federal minimum wage laws to as many more workers as is possible and practicable;

Continue to fight for the elimination of discrimination in employment because of race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry or sex;

Provide assistance to improve the economic conditions of areas faced with persistent and substantial unemployment;

In addition, the Eisenhower Administration has enforced more vigorously and effectively than ever before, the laws which protect the working standards of our people.

Workers have benefited by the progress which has been made in carrying out the programs and principles set forth in the 1952 Republican platform. All workers have gained and unions have grown in strength and responsibility, and have increased their membership by 2 millions.

#82 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2018-10-10 09:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Not really a stunning admission from someone who got in bed with LBJ.

#83 | Posted by Ben_Berkkake at 2018-10-10 09:12 PM | Reply

Not really a stunning admission from someone who got in bed with LBJ.

#83 | POSTED BY BEN_BERKKAKE

Liar

Her story in the second video is that she had heard LBJ was a womanizer, but that he never made a pass at her.

So why would you say that?

#84 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-10-11 06:51 AM | Reply

It is sad to read people stating to vote straight ticket. No 3rd parties.

First off, it is possible to split voting between R and D. I do it all the time as the ballot is usually long and I can find better people in both aisles.

But, there are great third party contenders who get my vote.

I have to go back decades, but 1 election I remember the third party won. I thanked many other voters that day. Finally the winner wasn't the head cheerleader or the girl 1st on class. That year, we boys ignored tradition and voted the classiest girl as homecoming queen.

Reject the masses and their tradition monologue. Vote for who you think is best and just maybe we will dispose of two party's worst offerings

#85 | Posted by Petrous at 2018-10-11 09:33 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Obama was her response to The Bush Error. "

That's a good one. On a thread about an article that's writing about a problem created by the Obama Administration. Interesting.

#86 | Posted by JordyPete at 2018-10-11 10:03 AM | Reply

It is sad to read people stating to vote straight ticket. No 3rd parties.

#85 | POSTED BY PETROUS

Years (if not decades) of straight party voting brought the country retrograde supreme court decisions involving everything from gun policies, to repealing voting rights, to weaponizing free speech to clamp down on free speech, to making it harder for citizens to access healthcare, to wrecking public education.

Now that's sad.

Now we have an incompetent authoritarian traitor president who's sold out America to our country's enemies.

You want to fix this?

Vote straight Dem ticket in 2018 and 2020.

#87 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-10-11 10:23 AM | Reply

"You want to fix this?"

I'm sure you guys can fix it by yourselves. You sound so confident that you don't need independent votes. Good luck.

#88 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-10-11 10:28 AM | Reply

#88 | POSTED BY SENTINEL

I'm an Independent.

Traitorous incompetency is right in front of your nose.

The Republicans in Congress refuse to fix this mess, the Democrats will at least try.

Keep it simple -- vote straight Dem ticket in 2018 and 2020.

#89 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-10-11 10:35 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

# 90

#90 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-10-11 03:44 PM | Reply

I'm an Independent.

Says one of the most partisan people on the Retort.

TFF

#91 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-10-11 03:58 PM | Reply

Says one of the most partisan people on the Retort.
TFF

#91 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

Good catch.

#92 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-10-11 04:01 PM | Reply

"My honest take based on the behavior we've seen over the past few years is that this mythical "center" that craves reasoned debate is a myth.

I hear this but I don't think WJC won because he appealed to the middle. He won because of (1) Ross Perot and (2) Bumpy economic figures [S&L crisis, etc.]

If President Trump has the economy Obama was handed he would be impeached in the Senate 100-0. In the end in my opinion you win election if the prior guys economy was good or bad (alternate party wins if bad; incumbent party generally wins if good). Exceptions being Gore & Hil.

I guess I'm having a hard time buying the A&P & BBC readers being a big enough class would really prefer Trumps in your face clown like behavior to lesser figures extreme views.

#93 | Posted by AfterMaff at 2018-10-12 10:31 AM | Reply

"this mythical "center" that craves reasoned debate is a myth."

how much money will be spent in Ohio, Florida, Michigan, Wisconsin, and North Carolina in the next presidential election?

and just to round up the "mythical center"? The center exists.

#94 | Posted by eberly at 2018-10-12 10:36 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1