Tuesday, October 09, 2018

Many Canadian police services are still "putting the finishing touches" on the rules surrounding officers' consumption of cannabis, less than three weeks before marijuana is legalized for recreational use. So far, Calgary is the only jurisdiction with a complete abstinence policy. Officers in the Calgary Police Service will be banned from consuming marijuana even on their days off or vacations ...

Comments

Read today that the RCMP has set a rule for officers; no cannabis consumption within 28 days of a work shift. Sounds like zero tolerance for failed testing.

It will be very interesting how Industry reacts to the new legislation. It's been suspiciously quiet so far.

#1 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-10-08 09:14 PM | Reply

Period.

Are they prohibited from having a beer?

#2 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-10-08 11:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I have a feeling that's not the way it's going to work.

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-10-09 07:31 AM | Reply

I have a feeling that's not the way it's going to work.

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-10-09 07:31 AMFlag: (Choose)FunnyNewsworthyOffensiveAbusive

My industry will never allow it. They've began to migrate toward the hair follicle test that's set up to detect it back to 3 months.

And with the DISA organization, there's no more simply going to work somewhere else. Gotta go through rehab lol.... for weed...SMH

#4 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-10-09 09:32 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

i'd love to see the 2017 colorado records for dr's prescriptions for sleep aids, anxiety and depression meds, mood altering meds..liquor sales compared to 2013

#5 | Posted by 1947steamer at 2018-10-09 09:45 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"I believe that once legal, it should preclude employers from prohibiting its use."

You forget the one pertinent fact, the outlawing of marijauna never had anything to do with public safety, it had to do with the control of hippies and black people. Hippies and black people need jobs so if they can control your behavior during your off hours then they thought they could control your opinions and political actions...like demanding Civil Rights or protesting unnecessary stupid wars. Nothing has changed about that, governments seek to use prohibitions to control thought. Those who won't conform are exiled to low paying or no jobs at all.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2018-10-09 09:47 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#1 | POSTED BY REDIAL

If you're a mounty you're probably too much of an uptight ------- to smoke weed anyway. Now I can't speak for the Canadian ones, but that is certainly the case with mounted LAPD.

Also motorcycles made the horse obsolete.

#7 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-10-09 12:59 PM | Reply

For most people, being high and working are incompatible. However, if you come to work sober and have no productivity issues, indulging in legalized reefer in your off hours should be irrelevant to your employer. But authoritarians gotta authoritate.

#8 | Posted by cbob at 2018-10-09 01:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

-They've began to migrate toward the hair follicle test that's set up to detect it back to 3 months.

3 months? that is so extreme.

#9 | Posted by eberly at 2018-10-09 01:47 PM | Reply

3 months? that is so extreme.

#9 | Posted by eberly at 2018-10-09 01:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

Exactly. Like if you smoked a bowl on vacation in July in the Colorado Rockies, and you apply for a job in October, you'd be turned down. That's just goofy.

#10 | Posted by cbob at 2018-10-09 01:53 PM | Reply

I'm totally ignorant about MJ and how it affects people.....so bear with me....alcohol is out of your system relatively quick...and thus, impairment is not an issue at that point.

MJ staying in your system for much longer.....but what about impairment? using CBOB's example of smoking on a weekend.....how long are you impaired with it? same as alcohol? less? more?

#11 | Posted by eberly at 2018-10-09 02:04 PM | Reply

same as alcohol? less? more?

#11 | POSTED BY EBERLY AT 2018-10-09 02:04 PM | FLAG:

Less. No hangover.

I can actually do my job (IT Technology) completely stoned and no one would ever know. (I don't). I could never do my job completely drunk. Ever. If I partake of cannabis the night before work I sleep very well. Soundly and restful. Alcohol makes you sleepy fitfully so you do not get the rest you need to recover.

Alcoholism leaves a trail of destruction in its path.

Cannabis can actually help you recover from alcoholism.

Alcohol is a poison and can kill you. Cannabis is a medicine and can help you have a better less painful life.

It's time for America to grow up.

Past time.

#12 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-10-09 02:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

BTW - I am a vet. I have been given Oxy for my pain. I hate it!

I will not take it.

Sure it numbs the pain but it has horrible side effects and is horribly addicting.

I much prefer cannabis for my relief. I do not like sleeping all day and I do not like constipation!

I have not talked to one vet yet who actually likes taking Oxy for pain or PTSD. But that is what the VA gives. They do not allow cannabis. Yet.

#13 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-10-09 03:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Marijuana's high can stay with you as long as 10-12 hours if you consume it in edible form. If you smoke it, count on 2-3 hours, up to 5-6 if it's unusually potent or you overindulge. The comedown is extremely gradual.

Either way, the next day, there are no residual effects whatsoever. At least that's what I've heard (clears throat, reaches for bag of Fritos).

#14 | Posted by cbob at 2018-10-09 03:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

-Alcohol makes you sleepy fitfully so you do not get the rest you need to recover.

as I get older, I struggle with drinking too much and sleeping. If I cross a line on consumption, then I'll wake up at 3 and not go back to sleep.

#15 | Posted by eberly at 2018-10-09 03:08 PM | Reply

Is it projectile vomiting tasting in edibles???

#16 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-10-09 03:10 PM | Reply

We got the company word today... still zero tolerance for positive tests.

#17 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-10-09 09:25 PM | Reply

I don't think it is a bad idea to have a gradual phase out of MJ restrictions. Eventually it should be treated easier than booze, but going there in one step is just going to create backlash. Take the partial win and have a solid example to point to from the US.

#18 | Posted by bored at 2018-10-10 02:13 PM | Reply

Marajuana makes you stupid. You might feel super intelligent or normal, but you are not. The paranoia part can echo around for days. It's not the same for everyone, but do you want the risk of on-duty armed cops with additional paranoia?

#19 | Posted by Snowfake at 2018-10-10 02:21 PM | Reply

I don't think anyone is suggesting being stoned at work is a good thing, but if you drink alcohol all weekend you will be in a lot worse shape on Monday morning than you will if you spent all weekend smoking weed. But you won't lose your job for alcohol. If you don't smoke any more after the weekend and get tested within the next month, you may test positive and perhaps lose your job even though you've been sober for three weeks. It's stupid. The question should be "are you impaired right now?" irrespective of the substance involved, including legal prescription drugs.

#20 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2018-10-10 04:12 PM | Reply

#19 | POSTED BY SNOWFAKE AT 2018-10-10 02:21 PM | FLAG:

Um no. We can grow here and it should be fully legal by next fall. You can get different strains of MJ depending on what you want it for. I will get a small amount of a sativa from a local grower, it has an energy high. Great for weeding a garden, cleaning out a garage or anything else that you have not wanted to do but knew you needed to do. You become very focused on what is at hand to a point that it is very enjoyable. It is far from making you stupid but if you smoked or ate a large amount of say a indica you could be considered stupid. It would be like drinking a lot of hard liquer but you wouldn't throw up or pass out. I would much rather be on the same road with someone who had smoked pot than someone that had been drinking, big difference there and I love my after 5 martini, just don't smoke after drinking, alchohol intensifies the pot too much. And like Donner said, I ripped my achillis tendon and had surgery. They gave me 60 oxy pills, I used them for the first day for the pain but it made me feel like a slug and it makes you constipated which makes you feel even worse. I switched to Medical pot and it made me forget about the pain, I slept well, I was regular and I could function very well unlike the Oxy. It is not like the old days with Reefer madness, the new stuff is very specialized and a lot better for you than booze.

#21 | Posted by fishpaw at 2018-10-10 04:35 PM | Reply