Monday, October 08, 2018

The Hubble Space Telescope is operating with only essential functions after it lost one of the gyroscopes needed to point the spacecraft. The observatory, described as one of the most important scientific instruments ever created, was placed in "safe mode" over the weekend, while scientists try to fix the problem. Hubble had been operating with four of its six gyroscopes when one of them failed on Friday.

Comments

Do they need to replace the mirror again? Derp.

#1 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-10-08 10:07 PM | Reply

It's just a gyro that needs replacing. Piece of cake!

I'll go!

#2 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-10-09 01:55 PM | Reply

I've been looking at post #1 almost all day and I just don't get it. Is it a jab at NASA? Is it in reference to Hubble's originally flawed mirror (it was corrected not replaced). I'm sure it is witty on some level, I just don't see it though.

#3 | Posted by Jay at 2018-10-09 03:31 PM | Reply

It's just a gyro that needs replacing. Piece of cake!
I'll go!

#2 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY AT 2018-10-09 01:55 PM | REPLY | FLAG

I'll come with. This requires a delicate touch.

#4 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-10-09 03:34 PM | Reply

Why does a $500 hobby drone use cheaper, smaller and smarter gyro stabilization than Hubble?
www.dronezon.com
www.quora.com

#5 | Posted by ajwood at 2018-10-09 04:34 PM | Reply

Because that drone wasn't designed in the 1970s. We've learned a lot since then. And we've given up our capability in space.

#6 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2018-10-09 04:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I'll come with. This requires a delicate touch.

#4 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR

Great! You can hold the light. 😉

#7 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-10-09 05:18 PM | Reply

I doubt the hobby drone can accurately stabilize to within a few wavelengths of light, for years, in space.

#8 | Posted by visitor_ at 2018-10-09 06:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

They should replace them all with laser gyros.

en.m.wikipedia.org

Laura and I are standing by.

#9 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-10-09 06:54 PM | Reply