Sunday, September 23, 2018

The latest round of tariffs imposed by President Trump as part of an ongoing trade war with China could see prices rise at Walmart, the retailer has said. Walmart sent a letter to the Officer of United States Trade Representative, warning that the new tariffs, if imposed, could cause steep price hikes in its stores.d.

Comments

Could? WILL.

#1 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-09-23 01:30 PM | Reply

Um....the purpose of tariffs is to raise prices so that domestic manufacturers can see an opportunity to profit and thereby employ Americans to make the things we are now buying from China. That is the entire purpose of tariffs. So, basically, the opponents of tariffs are complaining because tariffs actually work to do the things they are intended to do. Short term pain, long term gain. We built the richest nation on the planet using tariffs. Free trade has never been fair trade.

#2 | Posted by danni at 2018-09-23 01:47 PM | Reply

This is not going to happen.

What will happen is stores like Walmart will raise prices. The poor are out of luck.

#3 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-09-23 01:51 PM | Reply

Good, I hope wally world get's hurt by people buying less of their crap. No town, (especially small ones) that I know of ever benefited for their presence. Wan't the American dream back? Let's reduce big box stores and start selling quality.

#4 | Posted by bat4255 at 2018-09-23 01:53 PM | Reply

I don't go to Walmart. They're not that much cheaper than the local stores and their employees are all on government assistance.

#5 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-09-23 01:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

They're not that much cheaper than the local stores

That's the crazy thing about our society.

To save a dollar. We put local mom and pop stores out of business.

Then complain about Walmart.

The power to stop Walmart and Amazon is in our hands.

But. We voted with our dollars.

And here we are today.

#6 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-09-23 02:03 PM | Reply

Good, I hope wally world get's hurt by people buying less of their crap.

Highly unlikely. Prices will just go up, and so will consumer debt.

#7 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-09-23 02:17 PM | Reply

"That's the crazy thing about our society.
To save a dollar. We put local mom and pop stores out of business.
Then complain about Walmart.
The power to stop Walmart and Amazon is in our hands.
But. We voted with our dollars.
And here we are today."
I can't believe this. I agree with something Clownshack said.

#8 | Posted by sames1 at 2018-09-23 02:25 PM | Reply

"The power to stop Walmart and Amazon is in our hands.
But. We voted with our dollars. "

That's why we have government. Boston Tea Party wasn't about our right to buy from the cheapest source of tea. Don't ever claim patriotism or wave your flags if you oppose America protecting our markets from unfair foreign competition nor the American billionaires profiting from it.

#9 | Posted by danni at 2018-09-23 02:25 PM | Reply

Yeah we know the theory behind tariffs.

The problem is we also know theory and reality aren't usually the same thing, which is what we'll see in this case.

#10 | Posted by jpw at 2018-09-23 02:40 PM | Reply

LOL surprise walmart suckers!

#11 | Posted by Tor at 2018-09-23 02:59 PM | Reply

The power to stop Walmart and Amazon is in our hands.
But. We voted with our dollars.
And here we are today.

#6 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK AT 2018-09-23 02:03 PM | FLAG:

I'm definitely trying to do my part.

I don't go to Walmart, I don't do Sams and I closed my Amazon account because of their shady charges dealing with the Firestick.

We shop local grocery stores and produce stands. I have a mom and pop meat market and a family owned seafood market near me.
Other than that I go to Costco. Their employees start around $16/hr and they all have healthcare. Even the part timers.

#12 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-09-23 03:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

#12 | POSTED BY LFTHNDTHRDS

#metoo

#13 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-09-23 03:22 PM | Reply

Also I was supposed to plant my fall garden this weekend but my dumbass didn't drain the tank last year and the carb is gummed up.

Maybe next weekend.

I've got collards, mustards, turnips and cabbage

#14 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-09-23 03:26 PM | Reply

"The power to stop Walmart and Amazon is in our hands."

"our hands." You are perhaps referring to those of us who have the economic ability to choose where we shop but most Americans don't have that luxury. They shop where the prices are the lowest even if they don't like spending their money with the Waltons. I live slightly better than that but I did find myself in a Walmart recently and I bought some chicken thighs. OMG! they were horrible but huge. I think Foghorn Leghorn was butchered there. Toughest chicken I've ever encountered. That is actually a totally true story. I'll continue shopping at Publix in the future.

#15 | Posted by danni at 2018-09-23 03:48 PM | Reply

Just in time for Christmas! What a coincidence.

#16 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2018-09-24 12:12 AM | Reply

Since the left despises Wal Mart I guess this is a good thing?

I've been pestering my wife for an offset wood-burning smoker.

Most of the cheap ones are an abomination and you usually have to pay +$1500 for a good one.

There are a couple out there that are far cheaper but are built well-enough that they will produce consistent results in experienced hands.

Meijer and Lowe's carry the Oklahoma Joe Highland for $299. Wal Mart carries the exact same unit for $278.

Here's the kicker though, at the end of the season Wal Mart drops the price on clearance.

Lowe's and Meijer have not. So now, I can get the unit for $200 at Wal Mart vs $300 for the other 2 stores.

Money is tight right now and it's not something I need so I'm probably going to pass on it, but I thought it was worth noting that it's 33% cheaper at Walmart.

#17 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-09-24 09:18 AM | Reply

Quit complaining, lefty socialists. Somebody has to sacrifice a bit if we're ever to Make America Great Again. It will hurt the average Joe for a few years, possibly forever, but the job-makers are seeing a nice infusion of cash right now, which they will hoard for a while, possibly forever, and everything will be super. Before long there will be jobs for people to guard the new piles of cash, shine shoes, wash cars, build moats around castles, do housework, that kind of thing.

#18 | Posted by cbob at 2018-09-24 09:53 AM | Reply

but I thought it was worth noting that it's 33% cheaper at Walmart.

#17 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

Not when you factor in the amount of your tax dollars likely being used by the employees you see walking about the store while you pick up your artificially cheap smoker.

#19 | Posted by jpw at 2018-09-24 10:11 AM | Reply

Wow, who would have thought transitioning our entire economic trade system would cause problems. We are changing the entire infrastructure and all of this was very easily known to be part of it. Unfortunately, the government, as usual, did a terrible job at planning for it. W with his WMD mission. Obama with his ACA rollout. And now Trump with his fight to make trade fair for the US again. Politicians just LOVE ideas and putting them in motion...but then reality hits and they realize how badly it was managed.

#20 | Posted by humtake at 2018-09-24 12:31 PM | Reply

#5 | Posted by lfthndthrds

And all they haver is cheep chineese junk.

#21 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-09-24 07:07 PM | Reply

Cool, this one will hit trump supporters especially.

#22 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-09-24 07:24 PM | Reply

"And all they haver is cheep chineese junk."

#21 | POSTED BY SNIPER

Snippy prefers his cheap ---- come from some sweatshops his papi annexed from Ukraine.

#23 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-09-24 07:25 PM | Reply

Sniper, you're not wrong.

#24 | Posted by cbob at 2018-09-24 08:26 PM | Reply

Other than your spelling I mean!

#25 | Posted by cbob at 2018-09-24 08:28 PM | Reply