Saturday, September 22, 2018

The #WhyIDidntReport hashtag has surged to the top of Twitter's trending list following comments made by President Trump early Friday that cast doubts on sexual assault allegations brought against his Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh, by Christine Blasey Ford. As of Friday afternoon, over 38,000 tweets have been posted sharing the hashtag along with people tweeting about why they didn't report their own experiences of sexual assault.

Comments

Year of the Woman, ladies, let's do it again:

Anita Hill, Christine Blasey Ford and the year of the woman in politics

thehill.com

No women served on the Senate Judiciary Committee in 1991. The ugly Anita Hill hearings changed that.

www.washingtonpost.com

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-09-21 11:28 PM | Reply

Les Miserables - Do You Hear the People Sing

www.youtube.com

Lyrics with a tweak:

Do you hear the people sing?
Singing the song of angry women?
It is the music of the people
Who will not be slaves again!
When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!

#2 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-09-21 11:40 PM | Reply

Video version:

Les Mis "Do You Hear The People Sing"

www.youtube.com

#3 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-09-21 11:43 PM | Reply

The International (revised version)

Stand up, all victims of oppression,
For the tyrants fear your might!
Don't cling so hard to your possessions,
For you have nothing if you have no rights!
Let racist ignorance be ended,
For respect makes the empires fall!
Freedom is merely privilege extended,
Unless enjoyed by one and all.

Chorus
So come brothers and sisters,
For the struggle carries on.
The Internationale
Unites the world in song.
So comrades, come rally,
For this is the time and place!
The international ideal
Unites the human race.

etc., etc.,

www.youtube.com

#4 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-09-21 11:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#4 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

You're being ridiculous.

We get it, you prefer fascism and nazism to communism.

#5 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-09-22 02:26 PM | Reply

"Instead of posting pedantic inanities, how about asking the important question as to why women didn't report being sexual assaulted?"

It's not hard to see why Andrea, a mattress walked out on him in his mentally crippled state.

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-09-22 02:27 PM | Reply

It really is a timely issue. In many ways it is a natural seque from ##metoo. Men, such as myself, sometimes have difficulty understanding why a woman would not report a rape or a sexual assault until years later. It is an alien mind-set from the male 'take charge' mentality. Regardless of what happens to Kavanaugh, this is a good discussion for America to engage in.

#7 | Posted by moder8 at 2018-09-22 04:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#7 - And all the boys that became men that were raped by priests that took decades to come forward - are they all missing that male 'take charge' mind-set mentality?

#8 | Posted by YAV at 2018-09-22 09:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Good point, Yav. People tend to forget that boys who have been sexually abused don't react that much differently than girls do. Both tend to feel guilty and ashamed and often don't tell anyone about the abuse, sometimes for many years.

#9 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-09-22 10:16 PM | Reply

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

I have no doubt that, if the attack on Dr. Ford was as bad as she says, charges would have been immediately filed with local Law Enforcement Authorities by either her or her loving parents. I ask that she bring those filings forward so that we can learn date, time, and place!

Rep. Joe Kennedy III @RepJoeKennedy

Rep. Joe Kennedy III Retweeted Donald J. Trump
2 out of 3 sexual assaults are never reported. Might have something to do with the fact that for every 1,000 rapes, 994 perpetrators walk free. And the fact that men in power make statements like this one.

#10 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-09-22 11:31 PM | Reply

"This Vox report goes even farther, repeating an incredible and unverifiable claim that "994 out of 1,000 perpetrators walk free.""

www.nationalreview.com

#11 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-09-22 11:36 PM | Reply

Well, we know Bill Clinton walked away, twice even.

#12 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-09-22 11:43 PM | Reply

The------------------- waddled away numerous times.

#13 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2018-09-22 11:47 PM | Reply

Seriously, I'm surprised Rcade puts up with the potential liability some pose.

#14 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-09-22 11:52 PM | Reply

Yeah sheepjism, Bill Clinton, Bill Clinton. This isn't a rock star argument. The fact of the matter is that most of the women in your life have experienced some nasty ----. You just don't know. So stfu.

#15 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-09-23 12:01 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#11 The article seems to be about false rape claims rather than about unreported rape. It also focuses on women, but there are male survivors of sexual assault too. How many priests who sexually assaulted children and teens of both sexes in past decades walked free? 994 out of 1000 sound about right, as does the fact that something like 2 out of 3 were probably never reported. How many victims did Jerry Sandusky have before he got caught? How about the doctors on various sports teams that have been in the news of late?

Do false rape claims happen? Absolutely, and as I've mentioned many times I was duped by one (Tawana Brawley), which is why I don't sign on to the "Ever victim must be believed/is telling the truth" dictum.

#16 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-09-23 12:01 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Seriously, I'm surprised Rcade puts up with the potential liability some pose."

What is that supposed to mean?

#17 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-09-23 12:02 AM | Reply

"The fact of the matter is that most of the women in your life have experienced some nasty ----. You just don't know. So stfu."

When I was younger I spent a few years in a group for women who had been abused as children (all kinds of abuse). I heard stories of girls who had been sexually molested by various family members (father, brother, uncle, grandfather) and family friends. Most of them never told anyone, certainly no police were ever called. What you know depends on what you know, meaning it depends on who you've talked to.

#18 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-09-23 12:10 AM | Reply

Seriously it breaks my heart Gal. I'd like to be proud to be a man. And I don't like to hear details but I get the drift. And the women in my life are strong. But Jesus christ what the ---- is wrong with my gender.

#19 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-09-23 12:37 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You should be proud to be a man. I think most men are good. I definitely think there are more good than bad.

#20 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-09-23 12:49 AM | Reply

Wow, f===ing fabulous, and with this I'll say good night:

CNN @CNN

Mitch McConnell: "You've watched the fight. You've watched the tactics, But here's what I want to tell you: In the very near future, Judge Kavanaugh will be on the United States Supreme Court ... Don't get rattled by all of this. We're gonna plow right through it and do our job."

Doug Jones @DougJones (Democratic Senator from Alabama)

Doug Jones Retweeted CNN
I'm a former US Attorney. If a judge/juror made a public statement that their mind was made up before all testimony is in, the trial would be prejudiced & I'd move for mistrial & have the judge removed.

Mr. Leader, is this the message we want to send to victims of sexual assault?

#21 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-09-23 12:58 AM | Reply

#metoo That's ALL i'm saying. GOOD NIGHT.

#22 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-09-23 12:58 AM | Reply

POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

DEMOCRATS: WE ALREADY KNOW KAVANAUGH IS GUILTY - news.grabien.com

#23 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2018-09-23 01:06 AM | Reply

Thanks Tuesday, I got a little emotional, because,,,well

#24 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-09-23 01:08 AM | Reply

Because I married a girl, had a daughter and a few granddaughters

#25 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-09-23 01:39 AM | Reply

"DEMOCRATS: WE ALREADY KNOW KAVANAUGH IS GUILTY - news.grabien.com"

Perhaps you missed the point that Senator Doug Jones, who beat Roy Moore (remember him?) for the Alabama seat was making:

"Mr. Leader, is this the message we want to send to victims of sexual assault?"

McConnell is the leader of the Senate, not a rank and file member. One could easily write an article that says:

"REPUBLICANS: WE ALREADY KNOW KAVANAUGH ISN'T GUILTY"

but that's not the point Jones was making. He was addressing Mr. Leader in particular.

#26 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-09-23 09:31 AM | Reply

#24, 25 And because you have a heart and a conscience. I'm pretty sure someone like Donald Trump has neither.

#27 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-09-23 09:32 AM | Reply

This is the mentality we are dealing with, folks. Imagine claiming that attempted murder doesn't count because the attempt didn't result in death:

CNN Politics @CNNPolitics

A GOP Senate nominee says the accusations against Brett Kavanaugh are "absurd" because the assault attempt "never went anywhere

www.cnn.com

Here's Franklin Graham on the topic:

"Graham did state, falsely, that an attempted assault was 'not a crime'."

www.snopes.com

#28 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-09-23 11:44 AM | Reply

Franklin Graham is a disgusting piece of excrement. He has been for years. He ignores the Bible's lessons and and rather than being informed by it, he uses it for his own benefit. He is morally bankrupt. A fitting figure for the "spiritual" head of the GOP.

"You have heard that it was said [a]to those of old, ‘You shall not commit adultery.' 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

Graham, like Trump and others, seem to admit, or are comfortable that something happened. It just wasn't "that bad" (Trump), or didn't succeed in a rape, so...

But in Graham's case, I'm pretty sure that scripture above destroys any moral authority he'd like to claim, or that anyone should give him.

#29 | Posted by YAV at 2018-09-23 12:21 PM | Reply

First this:

GOP woman on Kavanaugh allegations: 'What boy hasn't done this in high school?'

"I mean, we're talking about a 15-year-old girl, which I respect. I'm a woman. I respect. But we're talking about a 17-year-old boy in high school with testosterone running high. Tell me, what boy hasn't done this in high school?" Gina Sosa asked.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/407927-gop-women-issue-strong-defense-of-kavanaugh? __twitter_impression=true

Now the reveal:

Amee KavaNOPE Vanderpool @girlsreallyrule
In this @CNN video claiming to present the "average female viewer" we have:
✔︎Gina Sosa, failed GOP Trumper candidate for #FL27
✔︎Irina Villarino, Trump supporter and operative who helped with GOP tax bill
✔︎Lourdes Castillo de la Peña, Ted Cruz operative and fundraiser 1/

.@GinaSosa, second from the right, is a tremendously unsuccessful GOP politician that got less than 2% of the primary vote in #FL27 who is working hard for any relevance within the party.

Former Florida House Candidate On Kavanaugh Accusation: ‘What Boy Hasn't Done This?'
Twitter goes stark raving mad.

www.huffingtonpost.com

Hey CNN, you made it seem like these were just a few random, everyday GOP female voters, but they aren't. What's up with that?

#30 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-09-23 12:23 PM | Reply

Sorry, here's the link:

thehill.com

#31 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-09-23 12:23 PM | Reply

Alan W. Silberberg @IdeaGov

It is truly astonishing and sad to see how many women are speaking out for first time ever. My TL + FB are both filled with courageous, powerful stories.
Men talking about this need to pay attention to what is being said.
Men need to be listening, and talking with their sons,
12:13 PM - 23 Sep 2018

Tom Lewis @TomELewis72

It is very depressing. A long overdue wake up call for men and how we raise our sons.
12:27 PM - 23 Sep 2018

#32 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-09-23 03:49 PM | Reply

"It is truly astonishing and sad to see how many women are speaking out for first time ever."

Yes, and even here on the Retort such stories are being told:

"I was raped when I was 20 because I accepted a ride by someone I thought was a friend of my sister. To this day I have never told a soul."

www.drudge.com

Thank you, Twin, for speaking up.

#33 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-09-23 03:59 PM | Reply

^
Rape culture

#34 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-09-23 04:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Men, such as myself, sometimes have difficulty understanding why a woman would not report a rape or a sexual assault until years later."

There's a handy mnemonic which can help you with that difficulty.

It goes like this: "No means yes, yes means ----."

#35 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-09-23 04:09 PM | Reply

This is the best result of this controversy.

The HORRID thing: if Blassey Ford is lying, the abysmally low rape reporting rates will be even lower, and real sexual violence reports will be believed less and less.

#36 | Posted by drivelikejehu at 2018-09-24 12:42 AM | Reply

Jessica Valenti @JessicaValenti

7:30 PM - 23 Sep 2018

#37 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-09-24 08:48 AM | Reply

"This is all incredibly hard. If you're a survivor of sexual violence and need help, you can call the National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673"

Juanita Broaddrick had a 3 word response to this: "Can I call?"

#38 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-09-24 09:03 AM | Reply