Saturday, September 15, 2018

Worried an electric car won't have enough range for your 25-mile commute? Got range anxiety? Well, step aside. Sylvia Wilson has driven her Model S 75kW the entire perimeter of Australia. The fully electric saloon covered a ridiculous 20,396 kilometers (12,674 miles) in 110 days, making Sylvia the first woman to drive an electric car around Oz. Most impressively, the entire fuel bill for the journey was a measly $150.90 AUD, or about $82 (US).

Comments

Sylvia did the trip in honour of her late husband Rod, who she had joked about the idea with before he passed, but also said she wanted to do it to prove a point.

"The concern about the environment was front and centre. These cars are bloody expensive. But once you've paid for the car, your running costs are bugger all." You tell ‘em Sylvia.

#1 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-09-15 07:21 AM | Reply

$82 (US)....$107(US)

Correction

#2 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-09-15 07:23 AM | Reply

When you figure in cost for the Tesla in the first place, fuel cost is about $65082.00

#3 | Posted by paltroon1 at 2018-09-15 07:47 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

12,674/20 (~200mile range/charge) = 634 stops to charge 67mph average take 3 hours followed by 1/2 hour recharge time, then back on the road. With an RV, I averaged 3.5 hours between fill ups, driving coast to coast, not much different.

The question is: is there a charger every 200 miles. Not in America and I can't imagine that's available in the Australian outback. She must have planned this very carefully and depended on the generosity of strangers.

#4 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-09-15 09:18 PM | Reply

depended on the generosity of strangers.

1. That will happen less and less as electrics take over from petrol.

2. With electric, it's easier to ask a stranger for a charge than it is to ask for fuel.

"Hello sir, could I trouble you for a few liters of petrol?"... all I'll get is a "bugger off".

#5 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-09-16 12:08 AM | Reply

Likely because no one in Texas would know what a 'liter' or 'petrol' was.

#6 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-09-16 12:14 AM | Reply

Likely because no one in Texas would know what a 'liter' or 'petrol' was.

Frak Texas..... oops... you didn't hear me say that...!!!

Never happened!

#7 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-09-16 12:16 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

One Liter of Petrol is 1.0056 liquid quarts or 0.264172 liquid US Gallons.

#8 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-09-16 12:18 AM | Reply

Frak Texas.....

That's the plan to replace OPEC.

#9 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-09-16 12:19 AM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY MADSCIENTIST

Detail freak. :-)

#10 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-09-16 12:21 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Well good for you!

I'll take you along. You can ride in the dicky.

#11 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-09-16 12:22 AM | Reply

That's the plan to replace OPEC.

Yes yes... I only use "frak" to avoid being filter-botted.

I can also use FORK.... BUCK... ----.... DUCK... LUCK.... etc

#12 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-09-16 12:25 AM | Reply

Anyway, I thank the lady for doing what she did. I wouldn't have believed it possible otherwise.

And it will only get better for electrics.

#13 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-09-16 12:26 AM | Reply

Good for her.

#14 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2018-09-16 07:27 AM | Reply

"But once you've paid for the car, your running costs are bugger all."

I love the dialects from over seas. When you want to learn to speak English come to America where we speak it right.

#15 | Posted by danni at 2018-09-16 10:19 AM | Reply