Wednesday, September 12, 2018

A first-of-its-kind study being released Wednesday refutes the premise that the state's transgender antidiscrimination law threatens public safety, finding no relation between public transgender bathroom access and crimes that occur in bathrooms. Researchers at the Williams Institute, a think tank focused on gender identity at the UCLA School of Law, examined restroom crime reports in Massachusetts cities of similar size and comparable demographics and found no increase in crime and no difference between cities that had adopted transgender policies and those that had not. The data were collected for a minimum of two years before a statewide antidiscrimination law took effect in 2016.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

OOPSIE DAISY. Another Right Wing talking point flushed down the drain.

Comments

It don't matter what actual facts are, the Derp State lives in a fact free bubble.

#1 | Posted by 726 at 2018-09-13 11:55 AM | Reply

I'm not really worried about the transsexuals committing crimes, I worry about a transsexual becoming a victim of an irate group of women. This is Texas, our ladies pack heat.

#2 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-09-13 01:44 PM | Reply

Where is that Southern gentility I hear so much about?

#3 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-09-13 01:48 PM | Reply

This is Texas, our ladies pack heat.

Hopefully with more responsibility than the men.

#4 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-09-13 01:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Hopefully with more responsibility than the men." - #4 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-09-13 01:57 PM

And probably because of the Texas men.

#5 | Posted by Hans at 2018-09-13 02:09 PM | Reply

"This is Texas, our ladies pack heat." - #2 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-09-13 01:44 PM

To protect themselves from people like you?

#6 | Posted by Hans at 2018-09-13 02:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

How long has that law been in effect?

#7 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-09-13 02:39 PM | Reply

"I worry about a transsexual becoming a victim of an irate group of women. This is Texas, our ladies pack heat."

^
An armed society is a polite society.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-09-13 02:41 PM | Reply

So too do a number of my trans sisters and mothers pack heat.

#9 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-09-13 02:50 PM | Reply

#9 | Posted by LauraMohr, It is confusing, these sisters and mothers, are they women who identify as men or men who identify as women?

#10 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-09-14 12:32 AM | Reply

If threat of a crime is the sole rationale for laws and policies, why are people not allowed to walk around naked in public.

I mean...if people were all naked it wouldn't necessarily lead to more sex crimes.

No...its just societal norms and expectations. Women and mothers who are more modest need their own space. Women and men think and feel differently and male standards of modesty should not be forced onto women.

I'm not suggesting all transgenders should be banned (or maybe I am...I haven't decided). Regardless, laws that block law enforcement from looking out for women are unacceptable.

I've always said genuine transgendered people who have quietly blended in for decades may rue the day gay activists decided to make this political.

#11 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-09-14 09:05 AM | Reply

#11 I think the solution is obvious: you use the bathroom of your legal gender. If you transition (I mean, commit treason) to bat for the other team, your legal gender changes right? How hard is that?

#12 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-09-14 09:17 AM | Reply

Heavy handed open bathroom laws and policies like the one the Obama admin handed down in their last year have been linked to Democrats losing elections. Isn't that a threat to pubic safety?

#13 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-09-14 10:07 AM | Reply

Public safety

#14 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-09-14 10:08 AM | Reply

Hel,

I've always suspected and can't actually prove it, but believe it anyway, a large percentage of people who call themselves transgender, change gender intermittently.

They use the woman's bathroom at some places and the men's bathroom at others.

I don't see how we're supposed to take that seriously.

People who are sincere and committed have my support.

But...like I said they may end up paying the price for making this into a political wedge.

#15 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-09-14 10:11 AM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY BILLJOHNSON

Surprised everyone here has managed to resist the urge to make a "bathroom bill" joke.

#16 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-09-14 10:14 AM | Reply

Sent,

You just did.

#17 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-09-14 10:55 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

POSTED BY DOCNJO AT 2018-09-14 12:32 AM | REPLY

I'm not confused. They are human beings acting like Human beings. Maybe you should look into trying that for yourself sometime.

#18 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-09-14 11:24 AM | Reply

"Sent, You just did"

Did I? I thought I was being subtle. You clocked me.

#19 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-09-14 11:57 AM | Reply

So too do a number of my trans sisters and mothers pack heat.

#9 | Posted by LauraMohr

I'll bet they have trouble getting it out of their pantihose unless they have a real short barrel. Even a three incher would be tough.

#20 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-09-14 12:25 PM | Reply

Sent,

I thought it funny.

#21 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-09-14 01:59 PM | Reply

You sound like the typical conservative Christian who knows not what he speaketh about

Typical right winger wanting to ban people that are different than you

The only one's that made this political are the nutjob right wingers that are losing the culture wars. Oh and why do we need to "quietly blend in" Who can't we be OUT AND PROUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??

#11 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-09-14 09:05 AM | Reply

#22 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-09-14 05:18 PM | Reply

20 - I'd bet the 3 incher is part of the reason for the change.

#23 | Posted by homerj at 2018-09-14 06:23 PM | Reply

Laura,

Sounds like you're suggesting all gays should be out.

I have always found that idea abhorrent and one of the misgivings of the more radical gays.

I never said they "should" quietly blend in but that many have and I can well imagine might prefer to live without bringing a lot of undo attention upon themselves.

You seem to have a narrow minded over-simplistic view of the situation.

#24 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-09-14 07:02 PM | Reply

Laura,

Frankly....the way you write doesn't sound like someone very proud of anything.

Who are you trying to kid with your bold letters and excessive punctuation?

#25 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-09-14 07:04 PM | Reply

Laura,

As far as being "banned", I said at this point I have no real opinion what should be done.

The problem is gays aren't appearing to be offering workable solutions. The only thing they keep doing is hammering at straights telling them it's "ok" and trying to reprogram society and refusing to acknowledge the opinions of straights when they say "it's not ok".

From what I keep reading, people like you are demanding "it's all or nothing".

Well....you may reap what you sow.

Just sayin'

#26 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-09-14 07:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Frankly....the way you write doesn't sound like someone very proud of anything.

Who are you trying to kid with your bold letters and excessive punctuation?

#25 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-09-14 07:04 PM | Reply

I'm proud of who I am. I doubt you are though with your incessant need to bash us open and honest folks in the LGBTQI community. You can't stand the fact you couldn't live your truth so you'll make life hell for the rest of us.

#27 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-09-14 07:49 PM | Reply

From what I keep reading, people like you are demanding "it's all or nothing".

Well....you may reap what you sow.

Just sayin'

#26 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-09-14 07:33 PM | Reply

You're just a coward Bill. You want out and proud gays to shut up and not demand their equal rights. You want the gays to take whatever straight society gives them and like it. Your kind is the problem. Your kind is why the LGBTQ2I folks have to fight.

#28 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-09-14 07:53 PM | Reply

You're just a coward Bill.

#29 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-09-14 07:59 PM | Reply