Thursday, September 13, 2018

The National Solar Observatory in New Mexico has been closed down for days with little explanation -- and people are starting to think it's out of this world. The research facility at Sacramento Peak was evacuated Thursday last week as was a nearby United States Post Office. It's not clear when they will open their doors again.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Observatory Facebook: Sunspot apologizes for the continued closure of the facilities. Listed below is the latest statement from AURA. As we receive new information we will share with you. The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA) is addressing a security issue at the National Solar Observatory facility at Sacramento Peak, New Mexico and has decided to temporarily vacate the facility as a precautionary measure. AURA, which manages Sacramento Peak with funding from NSF, is working with the proper authorities on this issue. We have no further comment at this time.

Comments

The conspiracy theories on the internet are running wild about this. Weird stuff is going on, that's for sure.

#1 | Posted by Karabekian at 2018-09-12 05:02 PM | Reply

Here is just one YouTube clip about it from a "conspiracy" angle:

www.youtube.com

#2 | Posted by Karabekian at 2018-09-12 05:28 PM | Reply

#2 Thank you! I'm inhumanly hung over right now thanks to 9/11, but I'm thinking it's a complex dark matter body? Dark matter may be like luminous matter - it has it's own periodic table. Still watching.

#3 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-09-12 07:12 PM | Reply

#3 Another guy on YouTube says he's "heard" the Chinese had an antennae amongst the arrays at the observatory that was being used to spy on White Sands. If so, why would the post office also be closed?

#4 | Posted by Karabekian at 2018-09-12 07:16 PM | Reply

Here is another recent YouTube video posted today. It SEEMS that NASA's SOHO live feed is offline, as well as other solar observation platforms.

www.youtube.com

#5 | Posted by Karabekian at 2018-09-12 07:23 PM | Reply

#4 Postal Inspectors are more more powerful than the Phone Police. I had to use one once. They are experts at Strange Thing That Come In The Mail. So yeah, mystery.

#6 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-09-12 07:42 PM | Reply

As it is described as a "security" evacuation, could it have been a threat to the workplace?

But the orbs were cool, who knows...

#7 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-09-12 11:04 PM | Reply

#5 Relax, I'm pretty sure that will never the light of day.

#8 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-09-13 04:20 AM | Reply

How far is that from that incident near El Paso?

#9 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-09-13 02:38 PM | Reply

Duh
aliens have joined with libruuuulzzzz to kill off Porto Ricans just to make trump look bad

what else could it be when you are a card-carrying member of an ideology that is responsible for a 33% rise in debt in just 12 months

#10 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2018-09-13 02:55 PM | Reply

Must be Jade Helm.
Damn you, Hillary Clinton!

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-09-13 03:05 PM | Reply

Maybe that is where Obama is hiding all those guns and bibles he took from Americans.

#12 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-09-13 03:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Maybe they detected one of those "destroy all sattelites, electronics, powere sources, civilization-in-general" Coronal Mass Ejection explosions and want to avoid all the panic and looting.

#13 | Posted by Rincewind at 2018-09-13 03:25 PM | Reply

#13 It seems some other solar observatories were taken offline, or so the YouTube people say, so some support there. But why close the local post office??

#14 | Posted by Karabekian at 2018-09-13 03:47 PM | Reply

www.youtube.com
#5 | POSTED BY KARABEKIAN AT 2018-09-12 07:23 PM

SOHO involved in a more public coverup isn't surprising. I hope their administrators all choke on tear gas.

#15 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-09-13 04:06 PM | Reply

Someone spotted Rama. (as in Rendezvous with Rama)

#16 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-09-13 04:35 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

want to avoid all the panic and looting.

#13 | Posted by Rincewind

The 1% need time to get to the Escape Ships?

#17 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-09-13 04:43 PM | Reply

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov

SOHO seems fine to me...

#18 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-09-13 04:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Rendezvous with Rama - #16 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-09-13 04:35 PM

GREAT book. I break out my copy from time-to-time to re-read it.

Wished they had made it into a movie.

#19 | Posted by Hans at 2018-09-13 04:49 PM | Reply

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov
SOHO seems fine to me...
#18 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY AT 2018-09-13 04:45 PM

That's rather different from historic information from the last couple days. To access that you need their java client installed to interpret a massive encrypted file in scientific measurement query format.

It has worked extremely well at keeping lay people out of the archives for years now. Remember I used to post their images regularly? That stopped because of the interface. I'm not with any institution, and they unfortunately do not reply to non-academics, particularly so with possible anomaly enthusiasts.

#20 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-09-13 04:54 PM | Reply

Wished they had made it into a movie.

#19 | Posted by Hans

Great yarn! I thought they did make a movie... must have been a dream.

#21 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-09-13 04:56 PM | Reply

#18 Donner

Yeah, the website is up, but the live feed is down. Check this out:

ANNOUNCEMENT: We are updating the code infrastructure that provides access to SOHO data, images and movies. We expect the work to take several weeks. In the meantime, you can access the SOHO Archive Catalog here and current solar data images here.

#22 | Posted by Karabekian at 2018-09-13 04:57 PM | Reply

RE#20

Just click on the "real time" images. You don't need to load all that junk.

I used to use the real time image of the sun as a screensaver. Too risky now.

#23 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-09-13 04:58 PM | Reply

re # 22 I see what you mean now...

Trying to load the Solar Data Analysis Center web page.

It's hung... everyone must be trying to get in.

#24 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-09-13 05:01 PM | Reply

I got in but they are all .gifs.

Not live but not that old either.

#25 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-09-13 05:08 PM | Reply

"Great yarn!" - #21 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-09-13 04:56 PM

Indeed.

And remember...

The Ramans do everything in threes.

#26 | Posted by Hans at 2018-09-13 05:11 PM | Reply

"GREAT book. I break out my copy from time-to-time to re-read it.

Wished they had made it into a movie."

I wish there was a movie, but I don't want it to be made by any studio currently in business :-(

Anyone ever read "Lord of Light" by Roger Zelazny? Now that would be an interesting movie. Unfortunately only made it as far as a CIA cover story.

#27 | Posted by dibblda at 2018-09-13 07:12 PM | Reply

If they aliens decided to come back now, that really would be just in the nick of time.

#28 | Posted by leadbelly at 2018-09-13 10:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Some people need some kind of crazy conspiracy theory to complete them.

#29 | Posted by YAV at 2018-09-13 10:46 PM | Reply

maybe it's like one of those movies where it shows a guy with binoculars scanning an apartment house across the way...and see's someone scanning him

#30 | Posted by 1947steamer at 2018-09-14 01:00 AM | Reply

The brought in the Black Helicopters and the Postal Inspectors. Guys, I think I'm about to get a call from my local militia. And that means means strapping on the ablative armor, picking up my ray gun and putting on the robotic pants. And nobody really thinks the force field or the ablative armor is going to make a damn but of difference. Fifty meter wide crater, fifty meters deep. From a handgun.

#31 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-09-14 06:56 AM | Reply

#31, Godspeed, Cosmic Soldier. Godspeed

#32 | Posted by Karabekian at 2018-09-14 10:39 AM | Reply

Linda Moulton Howe just released this about the situation:

youtu.be

#33 | Posted by Karabekian at 2018-09-14 03:08 PM | Reply

I've been following this story since it broke, and the information has changed little, if any about it. Sticking to the conspiracy line of thought, I find it a bit odd that I've not heard a single mention of the solar probe NASA recently launched by anyone reporting or theorizing on what the deal is.

I can't think of a reason why the probe may be part of the story, but I suppose when it comes to conspiracy theory it's fair game to ponder about.

Apologies if the probe is mentioned in any of the links provided here which I've yet to check.

#34 | Posted by 9mmHeater at 2018-09-15 01:13 PM | Reply

9MM, are you sure this isn't the link you mean?

#35 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-09-15 11:57 PM | Reply