Wednesday, September 12, 2018

More than 3,600 children were sexually assaulted by Catholic priests in Germany over nearly seven decades, local media reported on Wednesday. The damning report, which Cardinal Reinhard Marx is to present officially on September 25, deals another blow to the Church after clerical child abuse has been uncovered worldwide. According to the study, 1,670 clergymen in Germany committed some form of sexual attack against 3,677 minors between 1946 and 2014, Spiegel Online reported. Most of the victims were boys. More than half were 13 years old or younger at the time of the abuse.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

The study also noted that some records had been "destroyed or manipulated", warning therefore that the scale of the abuse may be even greater.

Comments

===========================

Brilliant.

BTW apologies to Andrew Lloyd Webber for using his beautiful music as a sarcastic comment over this sordid affair.

#1 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-09-12 01:47 PM | Reply

Is this the natural result when the leadership of an organization includes only men who do not want to have a normal relationship with a woman?

#2 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2018-09-12 03:29 PM | Reply

They are good at it, they have over 1500 years of practice.

#3 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-09-12 03:34 PM | Reply

disgusting.

#4 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-09-12 10:19 PM | Reply

I mean, "St. Peter" is kinda' their go to guy...right?

#5 | Posted by 1947steamer at 2018-09-12 10:57 PM | Reply

Just the other day, Corky told me that the church does not abuse... it only spreads love.

I mean, "St. Peter" is kinda' their go to guy...right?

Who the frak is St.Peter?

Was he gay?

#6 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-09-13 01:22 AM | Reply

Just close it down! Shut the doors! Shutter the windows! Stop giving these sick, despicable people any more of your money!

Child sex abuse was the reason I left the church at the age of 18. And 18 years later, it's worse than I could have ever imagined. I was blown away by the reports taking place in Canada, then Ireland, and now Germany.

It makes me sick that my mother is still a part of this organization. She tries her hardest to ignore this issue, and I stopped shoving it in her face soon after I left because I could see how much she was hurt by it, but damn it! I'm still ashamed I was ever a part of this. I'm ashamed I tried to ignore it when I first heard about it. I'm ashamed I still restrain myself from chastising my mother to the point that she leaves the church; but I do so in fear that she would choose the church (i.e., God/Jesus/Holy Spirit) over me. And, plus, my dad is the one who has to live with her and he asked me to back off, so that's a significant factor.

She did watch Spotlight, though, so got to give her credit for that.

I'm just so torn up about this. I hate it.

#7 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-09-13 02:10 AM | Reply

#7 | Posted by rstybeach11

Spotlight truly was awesome in my way.

Have you ever considered the only religion ever to lose to Buddhism because it was even more laid back?

Nobody is left of it but it's sacred documents still exist.

They used to have family cook-outs and pick-nicks after service.

It's worth looking into.

#8 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-09-13 04:51 AM | Reply

...........Who the frak is St.Peter?
#6 | POSTED BY J_TREMAIN

1st apostle...founder of the catholic church

#9 | Posted by 1947steamer at 2018-09-13 08:05 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Time to classify the Catholic Church as a criminal organization? Thousands of crimes and thousands of cover ups.

#10 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2018-09-13 01:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Imagine my surprise.

Didn't the church say this kid diddling stuff was a uniquely American problem?

#11 | Posted by cbob at 2018-09-13 03:49 PM | Reply

Imagine my surprise.
Didn't the church say this kid diddling stuff was a uniquely American problem?

#11 | POSTED BY CBOB AT 2018-09-13 03:49 PM | FLAG:

No. The scandal in Ireland is older than the one in the US.

#12 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-09-13 03:50 PM | Reply

It's like, congratulations, my son, you survived the Nazis. Now give Father Wankhoff a hug.

I don't see how anyone with a conscience can remain with the Catholic Church.

#13 | Posted by cbob at 2018-09-13 03:54 PM | Reply

I don't see how anyone with a conscience can remain with the Catholic Church.
#13 | Posted by cbob

Brainwashing has been around as long as religion has existed. Is this really any harder to understand that how people can remain in The Orange Agents Republican party?

#14 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2018-09-13 05:03 PM | Reply

It's a pity because the Church appeared to be a safe place to send your kids to play basketball with men with Doctorates and a well-studied Classial Education. Boys that age are especially susceptible to intelligent father-figures who can talk history and philosophy.

I don't understand what men throughout the ages have found sexual about cheeto-breath, stained underwear wearing pre-pubescent boys. What is wrong with these men to begin with? I feel like Clarice Starling perplexed by Hannibal Lecter in the sense that such keen intellect is bent toward destruction and a reprobate mind.

In an abnormal psychology book I skimmed through one weekend, it appears there are people in whom their sexual wiring and sense of dominating others are crossed. That is, men and women who cannot achieve dénouement sexually without harming the partner. And being taken advantage of this way is so ego-shattering to the victim that the perpetrators are safe, generally, from exposure.

If there were only a sufficiently probable tell that could warn someone in advance of these people. Such as a drooping left eye or idiosyncratic mannerism.

#15 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-09-13 08:58 PM | Reply

"I don't understand what men throughout the ages have found sexual about cheeto-breath, stained underwear wearing pre-pubescent boys."

I think most of them were victimized at that age, so really they're just paying it forward. Not much different than when the kid of two parents who met and fell in love the normal way goes out and emulates the parental behavior.

#16 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-09-13 09:07 PM | Reply

That's what I don't know -- is there a necessary connection -- in Hume's sense of the phrase. Is is more probable that a victim of abuse will continue the abuse generationally to students of his own. I know from common knowledge that children who were beaten have a predilection to beat their own children. Similarly, children of alcoholics are more probable to be alcoholics, themselves. But in certain cases, it's also known that some children of alcoholics hate alcohol and won't tolerate it being consumed by their spouses, children, etc.

Unfortunately, I wish I'd had a more well-rounded education earlier so questions like this wouldn't be as perplexing.

David Hume and the Idea of the Necessary Connection

#17 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-09-13 09:57 PM | Reply

"But in certain cases, it's also known that some children of alcoholics hate alcohol and won't tolerate it being consumed by their spouses, children, etc."

Yeah there was a study that found something like 8% of rape victims said that the experience had a positive impact on their life.

I just don't see how you're going to translate that kind of factoid into something actionable.

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-09-13 10:38 PM | Reply