Tuesday, September 11, 2018

This is what we know so far. Jean was home alone in his apartment in the South Side Flats complexin Dallas when police officer Amber Guyger entered and shot him dead. The precise chain of events is somewhat disputed. The affidavit supporting Guyger's arrest warrant states that she believed she was entering her own apartment, which was directly below Jean's and laid out almost identically. When she placed her key in the lock, the door pushed open, the apartment was dark, she saw a "large silhouette" across the room, and she believed she was facing a burglar. She "drew her firearm" and "gave verbal commands," which she claims Jean ignored. She fired twice, and only then, she says, entered the apartment, called 911, turned on the lights, and realized she'd made a terrible mistake.

Comments

The author of this piece makes a great point:

First, police sources are reportedly indicating that Guyger may actually try to raise the fact that Jean didn't obey her commands as a defense. It's not a defense. The moment she opened the door to an apartment that wasn't her own, she wasn't operating as a police officer clothed with the authority of the law. She was instead a criminal. She was breaking into another person's home. She was an armed home invader, and the person clothed with the authority of law to defend himself was Botham Shem Jean.

Which brings us to the second troubling element of the story. So far, Guyger is only charged with manslaughter. But all the available evidence indicates that she intentionally shot Jean. This wasn't a warning shot gone awry. The pistol didn't discharge during a struggle. She committed a crime by forcing open Jean's door, deliberately took aim, and killed him.

#1 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-09-11 03:58 PM | Reply

... she believed she was entering her own apartment ... laid out almost identically ...

She was on the wrong floor.

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-09-11 04:48 PM | Reply

I honestly think this wasnt racist in nature. I think she made a mistake, a horrible one, but a mistake.

She should be held accountable for killing a human being, though. Manslaughter is appropriate.

#3 | Posted by boaz at 2018-09-11 07:02 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

It's funny how her excuse is taken for fact.

I think it goes more like this:

The two of them were seeing each other and she found out he was going to leave her for someone. He leaves the door open for her to visit after shift to tell her this. She decided to shoot him. Oops.

#4 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-09-11 08:07 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Something doesn't pass the smell test: Early reports told of neighbors hearing her shouting.

'Let me in, let me in!' Witnesses say they heard white Dallas cop knocking on door and shouting before she shot her black neighbor in his apartment
www.dailymail.co.uk

#5 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-09-11 08:29 PM | Reply

phone records.

#6 | Posted by fresno500 at 2018-09-11 11:00 PM | Reply

This story will be on Forensic Files in a few years.

#7 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-09-11 11:02 PM | Reply

#5 WOW! that doormat jumps right out

There is more to this. It will be murder in the first degree

#8 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-09-11 11:07 PM | Reply

No. Just no. This was surely a hit and she must have been paid to do that. They just found just right person, and gave her just the right amount of money. It could be a lovers triangle or something like that, but I doubt it. Maybe he had the goods on her? We'll see what Texas's favorite baseball team and the Dallas police department uncover, because this really does sound a deliberate murder.

I've lived in multi-story apartments, and you never get your floor wrong. Also, the distinctive red floor mat. Did you think it was the redecorating fairies? For the love of God, the apartment number is on the front of the door in big metal numbers, and it starts with the floor number.

#9 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-09-11 11:27 PM | Reply

#8 I'm thinking capital murder, and death penalty. We haven't heard the last of this. And in Texas, I think they give you the chair.

#10 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-09-11 11:28 PM | Reply

Considering what this guy did for a living, it's looking more and more like he was silenced for a reason. If his accounting firm says something like "we don't have any back-up tapes of his work" or something like that, the S will definitely HTF.

#11 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-09-11 11:41 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

It will be murder in the first degree

Not likely, that's a capital offense.

#12 | Posted by et_al at 2018-09-12 12:18 AM | Reply

"Not likely, that's a capital offense."

If she yelled "Let me in", and he yelled "Why did you do that?" doesn't that suggest premeditation?

#13 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-09-12 12:20 AM | Reply

... Texas's favorite baseball team ...

Arite, I laughed.

#14 | Posted by et_al at 2018-09-12 12:22 AM | Reply

Not by the hair on my chinny chin chin is not the answer to let me in.

Realized she made a terrible mistake.

Kinda the definition of manslaughter.

#15 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-09-12 12:35 AM | Reply

... doesn't that suggest premeditation?

Irrelvant, some type of specific predicate conduct or offense offense must have occurred. codes.findlaw.com

But we'll see what the grand jury decides.

#16 | Posted by et_al at 2018-09-12 12:36 AM | Reply

"some type of specific predicate conduct or offense offense must have occurred."

Like them knowing each other?

#17 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-09-12 12:41 AM | Reply

Dude, if you're too f****** lazy to click a link then I can't help you.

#18 | Posted by et_al at 2018-09-12 12:47 AM | Reply

" if you're too f****** lazy to click a link then I can't help you."

All I get is a landing page.

#19 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-09-12 12:48 AM | Reply

And a warning the security certificate may be invalid.

#20 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-09-12 12:49 AM | Reply

#'s 19 and 20

I can't explain that.

Search "Texas Penal Code - PENAL § 19.03. Capital Murder" and make your choice.

Or try this again. codes.findlaw.com

#21 | Posted by et_al at 2018-09-12 01:00 AM | Reply

Still no luck. Even when I go beyond the first warning, I get a blank page. Thanks for trying, I appreciate it. I may have security settings set waaaay too high.

#22 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-09-12 01:09 AM | Reply

Here's the state website. statutes.capitol.texas.gov It's text based and the formatting is terrible. That's why I use third parties.

#23 | Posted by et_al at 2018-09-12 01:36 AM | Reply

That one works. Thanks.

#24 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-09-12 01:40 AM | Reply

I immediately glommed onto the word "retaliation". If they knew each other, couldn't that possibly apply?

#25 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-09-12 01:41 AM | Reply

Maybe, maybe not.

Let's see what pans out instead of guessing.

#26 | Posted by et_al at 2018-09-12 01:51 AM | Reply

"Let's see what pans out instead of guessing."

Neighbors have stated she was yelling "Let me in". That certainly doesn't jibe with her story. Why would someone yell "Let me in" to a stranger?

#27 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-09-12 01:54 AM | Reply

I'm guessing 2nd degree murder. I have a feeling she may have had an intimate relationship that the guy broke off and she was trying to see him after work and he let her in. They probably argued and she got heated and shot him in the heat of the moment. She probably gets a nice 20 year sentence in the slammer.

#28 | Posted by byrdman at 2018-09-12 02:00 AM | Reply

"Neighbors have stated she was yelling "Let me in"."

In a subsequent article from the Daily Mail, no mention was made. And it is The Daily Mail, so there's that.

You're right, Et Al: let's see what pans out. No more guessing for me.

Thanks again for the TX link.

#29 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-09-12 02:08 AM | Reply

"Never date a cop" - advice from an ex-gf. No, seriously, she had one hell of a horror story to tell me. They can pull your entire life history, and in this case he tried to get her committed and her kid put in child protective services. The psychs found her okay, and she got her kid back, and that was the advice they gave her.

Words to live by. Or die by, as may be possible in this case.

#30 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-09-12 04:24 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

From Rawstory

Attorney reveals potential link between a Dallas cop and the innocent man she gunned down in his own apartment

Noise complaints preceded the incident in which a Dallas cop shot and killed a black man in his own apartment.

Amber Guyger, 30, had just finished a 15-hour shift when she claims to have accidentally approached the wrong apartment, where she found her door ajar and shot at a "large silhouette" that turned out to be her neighbor, a successful young man named Botham Jean, whom she killed.

Guyger has been charged with manslaughter, but an attorney for her victim has pointed to several inconsistencies, including neighbors saying they heard a female knocking and shouting "let me in" before the killing.

The attorney for the victim, S. Lee Meritt, appeared on CNN Tuesday where he was asked by host Brooke Baldwin whether there was any connection between the two.

"The only connection we have been able to make is that she was his immediate downstairs neighbor," Meritt said. "And there were noise complaints from the immediate downstairs neighbors about whoever was upstairs, and that would have been Botham. In fact, there were noise complaints that very day about upstairs activity in Botham's apartment. Botham received a phone call about noise coming from his apartment from the downstairs neighbor."
www.rawstory.com

#31 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2018-09-12 05:05 AM | Reply

#31 | Posted by PunchyPossum

15 hours isn't enough. When I was in chemical warfare training in the army, I once pulled 73. 15 hours is just an ordinary bad day. And if it's a noise complaint, and the apartment complex manager blows you off, shouldn't you shoot the apartment complex manager? I mean, try to use some logic here, guy....

#32 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-09-12 05:17 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#30 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT

In my 70+ years i've heard that exact same story at least a few dozen times. i used to skip trace, bill collect, bounty hunt and in that business there was a rule that there were 3 groups you really didn't want to do business with..cops, preachers and other people in the loan biz. cops are the worst. it's a job that attracts the exact type of personality that should never be a cop.

#33 | Posted by 1947steamer at 2018-09-12 08:02 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

I've lived in multi-story apartments, and you never get your floor wrong.

I beg to differ. Imagine you are tired or drunk and in an elevator, you press the right floor but someone else in the elevator has pressed theirs. When the doors open you instinctively walk out. It happens to everyone, and how tired or drunk you are dictates when (if ever) you realize you're on the wrong floor.

That's not to say i believe this woman's story, but lets poke holes in it the right way. She claims the door opened when she inserted her key, to the affront of all logic and neighbor testimony. She claims she disn't even walk in until after she shot him - so why not just walk away?

#34 | Posted by JOE at 2018-09-12 08:31 AM | Reply

And by that i mean walk (or run) the moment she saw someone in "her" apartment.

I admit i don't carry, so i don't know what that's like, but i'd like to think that i i hadn't even entered "my" dwelling and knew there was an intruder that my first instinct would be to seek out safety, not start shooting.

#35 | Posted by JOE at 2018-09-12 08:33 AM | Reply

#35 | POSTED BY JOE

Exactly. She cannot possibly claim this was self-defense.

#36 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-09-12 08:39 AM | Reply

#36 I believe the bedrock of Texas' stand your ground law is that you need to be in your home, car or place of work to use a SYG defense.

I'm starting to think that's why she claims she didn't enter the apartment until after she shot. It's not her apartment, so SYG wouldn't work inside, but maybe she plans to say the hallway is her "home" for purposes of SYG. Probably owns a share of the common elements of the building.

#37 | Posted by JOE at 2018-09-12 08:45 AM | Reply

"15 hours isn't enough"

that's like saying 3 drinks isn't enough as an excuse to drive drunk

#38 | Posted by klifferd at 2018-09-12 08:48 AM | Reply

She's a WHITE cop, he was a dead black man.

She will skate.

THIS IS DALLAS, y'all.

#39 | Posted by getoffmedz at 2018-09-12 09:34 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Joe, there was no elevator. Look at the photos. It's an ordinary apartment complex, with outside stairs.

#40 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-09-12 09:48 AM | Reply

Just as easy to miscount flights of stairs. I'm just saying, wrong floor happens occasionally when you are tired. It's the rest of her story that doesn't make sense.

#41 | Posted by JOE at 2018-09-12 09:59 AM | Reply

#41 I agree that her going to the wrong floor could have been a simple mistake. But, like you said, the rest of her story doesn't make sense.

#42 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-09-12 10:06 AM | Reply

"I've lived in multi-story apartments, and you never get your floor wrong."

I live in a fourth floor walk-up for the past 13 years. There's been maybe three different occasions early on where I tried to key into the third floor apartment directly below mine. When my key didn't fit I looked up at the apartment number then ran before I had to deal with the embarrassment of having the tenant open the door on me. A couple years after that the tenant of that apartment tried keying into my apartment. In his defense he was drunk asf. Unfortunately I didn't have the same excuse.

#43 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2018-09-12 10:08 AM | Reply

I just read some explosive expose' that is calling up the Apple defense.
There have been many articles that bolster this defense because it's been shown (proved?) that the iphone execs engineer theys phone to be addictive.
She was concentrating on a text, and got confused.
Next case

#44 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2018-09-12 02:36 PM | Reply

Without the gun she would have backed off.

#45 | Posted by Zed at 2018-09-12 02:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#3 | Posted by boaz

Jesus...what an absolute moron.

#46 | Posted by Angrydad at 2018-09-12 09:05 PM | Reply

In converse news, shootings of white people by police is considered OK.

This was a mistake, plain and simple. Anyone trying to make it anything else are just partisan people who should be ignored. The real funny part is how NOW all the bleeding hearts want "details" to be part of the case but they want to ignore details completely when it doesn't benefit them, like when witnesses corroborate that a shooting victim attacked an officer before being shot, and the many other details that come out of these situations that make everyone desensitized to when real racism occurs.

#47 | Posted by humtake at 2018-09-13 12:08 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"shootings of white people by police is considered OK"

Where?

#48 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-09-13 12:38 PM | Reply

Read the background stories people.
Soon the ruth will come out: she had complained before about noise from his apartment. That night she came home, heard noise, was angry again. Charged the stairs still in uniform, banged on the door and demanded ot be let in (neighbor has now given statement about this), and when he let her in (or maybe even opened the door) she barged in and they got in an argument and she shot him.

THAT is almost certianly what happened. Her lies are Trump-level Laughable©, and won't hold up more than a few days.

How did everyone like it that she was secretly allowed to turn herself in...THREE DAYS LATER...to a police office in Terrell, a small town 30 miles east of Dallas?

But go ahead and dare yourself to write that the white police aren't racist.

#49 | Posted by e1g1 at 2018-09-13 03:16 PM | Reply

Read the background stories people.

Ok, here's all the articles from the Dallas Morning News. www.dallasnews.com