Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Probiotics are living micro-organisms that are taken by millions of people to boost their microbiome or to restore their gut ecosystem after a dose of antibiotics. Yet questions remain about whether they actually work. To find out what really goes on in the gut when people ingest probiotics, immunologist Eran Elinav of the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel, and colleagues, sampled the microbiome of healthy volunteers directly using endoscopies and colonoscopies. Most other microbiome research relies on faecal samples as a proxy for gut microbes. Next the researchers measured what happens to the microbiome of people who take probiotics in the hope of restoring their microbiome after antibiotics. Twenty-one volunteers took an identical course of antibiotics and were then assigned to one of three groups.

Comments

Ouch. Don't mess with gut bacteria

#1 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-09-11 11:57 AM | Reply

I wonder how yogurt affects gut bacteria? It's not as loaded as a probiotic but still poseses many of the same bacteria.

#2 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-09-11 12:03 PM | Reply

Lots, or even most, of the fad diet suggestions are not really good for you, and even can be quite detrimental.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-09-11 12:50 PM | Reply

This isn't surprising to me at all.

Probiotics weren't well supported to begin with and there's a lot of information coming out pointing to antibiotics and microbiome changes being significant for long term health.

In fact, it's a common method in microbiome research to clear out an animal's (usually a mouse) microbiome then replace it by feeding filtered poop from other mice.

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2018-09-11 01:25 PM | Reply

The research also showed that while probiotics colonised the gastrointestinal tract of some people, the gut microbiome of others just expelled them. There was no way of telling from their stool sample which category people fell into. "Some people accept probiotics in their gut, while others just pass them from one end to the other," says Elinav. They found that the probiotic colonisation patterns were highly dependent on the individual. That tells us that the concept that everyone can benefit from a universal probiotic bought from the supermarket is empirically wrong, he says.

Ethnicity must play a significant role in genetic dietary considerations. I can eat dairy - require some dairy. My ancestors did so as well, apparently surviving fairly long dark winter weather with goats kept inside the house. My Korean friend cannot eat any dairy products. Interestingly, we both have traditions of pickling foods - which I never gained an appreciation for including in meals. Only this last year I'm beginning to ferment foods, thanks to YouTube foodies.

#5 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-09-11 05:55 PM | Reply

Ouch. Don't mess with gut bacteria

#1 | Posted by GOnoles92

So we should never take antibiotics?

#6 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-09-11 07:08 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

But we need probiotics to balance the use of antibiotics. When my rheumatologist in the 1990s gave me multiple courses of antibiotics to try to "kill" items in my blood, I developed c. Diff colitis and almost died b/c my gut flora got so out of balance without probiotics.

#7 | Posted by Duchess at 2018-09-12 01:09 PM | Reply