Monday, September 10, 2018

Rep. Ron DeSantis (R-Fla.), a gubernatorial nominee who recently was accused of using racially tinged language, spoke four times at conferences organized by a conservative activist who has said that African Americans owe their freedom to white people and that the country's "only serious race war" is against whites. DeSantis, elected to represent north-central Florida in 2012, appeared at the David Horowitz Freedom Center conferences in Palm Beach, Fla., and Charleston, S.C., in 2013, 2015, 2016 and 2017, said Michael Finch, president of the organization. "I just want to say what an honor it's been to be here to speak," DeSantis said in a ­27-minute speech at the 2015 event in Charleston, a video shows. "David has done such great work and I've been an admirer. I've been to these conferences in the past but I've been a big admirer of an organization that shoots straight, tells the American people the truth and is standing up for the right thing."

Comments

Stand up and proudly align yourself with avowed racists and bigots, it sure helped Trump get elected President. Hope it doesn't "monkey up" Mini T's chances of winning the FL governor's race.

Who am I kidding? Of course I hope it does. DeSantis is as poisonous for most Floridians as is the red tide currently expanding north into Tampa Day.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2018-09-10 03:54 PM | Reply

Tampa Bay... lol.

#2 | Posted by tonyroma at 2018-09-10 03:56 PM | Reply

Only one thing I'm not sure about when it comes to all this racism.

Is it Obama's fault or Hillary's fault?

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-09-10 03:57 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#3 I'm going with Obama.

#4 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-09-10 03:59 PM | Reply

#3 I'm going with Obamary.

#5 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-09-10 04:03 PM | Reply

It has to be Crooked Hillary!

Lock Her UP!

#6 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-09-10 04:05 PM | Reply

this guy has gotten elected 3 times?

let him run for governor. Florida should have the government it wants.

#7 | Posted by eberly at 2018-09-10 04:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Washington Post is getting a lot of traffic from me today. Only a dollar monthly subscription is incredible for their content, imo.

On topic: Last Week Tonight - 10% of adult Floridians cannot vote, which is disproportionately one in five black people.

Rick Scott put in a system forcing citizens to wait an additional 5-7 years to even get the application for voting rights renewal after completing parole. Then a "citizen" must argue their case in front of Scott's clemency board which can deny voting rights on a whim.

How that is at all constitutional is beyond me.

Republicans involved should immediately be removed from all positions of authority.

#8 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-09-10 04:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#9 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-09-10 05:01 PM | Reply

Horowitz blasted DeSantis's critics. "There's a lynch mob on his back," Horowitz said in an interview. "Saying a black person is articulate is not racist - it's praising him for him being articulate. Are there no inarticulate blacks?"

#10 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-09-10 05:06 PM | Reply

"Washington Post can kiss my tushy spot. I ain't paying 1 red cent to read online content. To hell with them."

Laura, open the link in an incognito window.

#11 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2018-09-10 05:07 PM | Reply

Laura, open the link in an incognito window.

POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE AT 2018-09-10 05:07 PM | REPLY

Huh??

#12 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-09-10 05:09 PM | Reply

#9 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR AT 2018-09-10 05:01 PM

Agreed. Nobody deserves attention without proving they understand what to report. The article is free to read and it's huuuuuuge. I'm just a little stunned that "I" might give them a buck for 30 days of total access. It's a great deal of information to parse in this particular article.

Click the FREE option, then allow cookies, then pray they don't correlate cached data and send you ads - they didn't. The only part I do not like are how videos now pop out and remain on the screen after stopping them and scrolling away. YouTube needs to be punished for that deliberate monetizing effort that other sites now imitate. I hope this trend dies quickly, but I doubt it will.

#13 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-09-10 05:15 PM | Reply

Huh??

If you're using Chrome, right click on the WaPo link, a box pops up. You have an option to choose an Incognito (private) window, click it, then you can read anything that's click limited.

#14 | Posted by tonyroma at 2018-09-10 06:48 PM | Reply

"Huh??"

Look it up, huh-ney. 😜

#15 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2018-09-10 06:48 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

"Antifa made DeSantis do it!" - Coddlefidian

#16 | Posted by Corky at 2018-09-10 07:46 PM | Reply

I am a paying subscriber of both the New York Times and the Washington Post, as well as my local newspaper. I proudly support journalism. In the old days everyone did the same.

Nowadays we expect to get our information for free. And we wonder why a complete dunderhead like Trump got elected.

#17 | Posted by cbob at 2018-09-10 08:19 PM | Reply

#17 | POSTED BY CBOB AT 2018-09-10 08:19 PM

I was an NPR enthusiast for years including KBOO, among other independent voices until Sinclair bought them out and turned them into redundant sports broadcasting with zero listeners during BushCo. They go from hundreds, if not thousands of locals, almost all of whom are probably rabid liberals who dedicate their spare brain power to focus on their shows, down to zero listeners overnight. And they did it channel after channel, station after station. Only recently have they captured attention thanks to the Sinclair "must play" meme video.

NPR was a last bastion of liberalish thought, inconveniently timed during work hours, but I still made efforts to pay some attention to economic information. They were interviewing BushCo apologists. My patience at that time in my life was seriously depleted. They forced me to take an innoculant - against my will, but it was for the job. I now fully comprehend what "put into a fog" is. Driving became impossible in daylight. I was sniveling and pathetic - such a diametrically opposed attitude that people were concerned. Something was up at work - we had a meeting with the big man who expressed restructure now will save money (everyone's vacations were pre-planned including his, I suspected nothing). What a difference that vaccine made - I could not tell one day from the next, let alone what was really on his mind that would require the delay of a time-sensitive project, servers ignored, nuns dedicating the room, all-hands ominous listening session. This sickness fog went into December and "fortunately" they ended up firing my entire department and blamed 9/11. This is a Catholic organization and three weeks before Christmas. Hallelujah, right? NPR peddling excuses gave me no reason to ever bother granting them my time.

If they have something to print that is accessible, wonderful. Otherwise, I would rather install a dagger within the radio to stab at whomever tunes it to NPR. Or, just pepper spray the entire cab. It's so strange, that job was a favorite - the people were almost all very fundamentalist of some flavor. I made several good friends and one elaborately stylized enemy. Our first words: She states "I'm going to train you on access." I ask, "May I grab my notebook and pen?" to which she replied "You are not allowed to write down anything I show you." We obviously got on smashingly! These are complex command line instructions. I composed a book of them, wrote it cursive in German and crafted a beautiful bright spine so she could see it any time she looked my direction. My immediate boss giggled when he found out.

Racism speaks of illiteracy in any language. NPR probably evolves it's platform eventually. If they have any sense they would have hired the Air America team..

It was also really difficult getting serious data from them on the journalists the US kept assassinating. I guess that's what Al Jazeera was for.

#18 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-09-10 09:35 PM | Reply

David Horowitz is no one to accuse of being a white supremacist. I have read read logs and writing for years. He is a militant constitutionalist. He is a red diaper baby. He was the co-editor of Ramparts with Rubin in the late sixties. His disenchantment with the left occurred after a close friend was murdered while giving accounting services to the Black Panthers. He is a secular Jew,,He is also a good debater and a decent speaker- but I admit his voice is like listening to nails in a chalk board. Why not check out his site and find some evidence of racism. frontpage.com is where you can find just about every thing he has wrote. I suggest the book he wrote about the death of his daughter. If you are looking for political points, you might be disappointed.
They that say the end to black slavery was because of the efforts of white people, it is mostly true. As I remember about 600,000 men died to end slavery here and a teenage white girl decided at 19 to outlaw the Atlantic slave trade. (She did command the largest Navy in the world at the time). What chaps your fannies it was mostly the efforts of a bunch of Bible thumpers that got it done.

#19 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-09-11 12:29 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"They that say the end to black slavery was because of the efforts of white people, it is mostly true."

As are many of the worst features of that institution.

#20 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-09-11 01:31 AM | Reply

#20 | Posted by DirkStruan, You might remember that cities were built upon the slave trade, for the English it was Liverpool. Our city was Charleston SC. Victoria was able to outlaw slavery in the British Empire without a civil war. This despite being neck deep in the practice for over two hundred years. Our slaves were cultivating cotton, theirs were producing sugar. Cultivating cotton is hard, cultivating sugar cane is deadly. The simple truth about 90% of the Atlantic slave trade was run by the Spanish and Portuguese. The average life span for a slave in the cane fields was less than four years, all for "white gold" and the European sweet tooth.
The eastern slave trade, (that controlled by the Arabs) continued for another 50 years, until the end of the first world war.

#21 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-09-11 07:58 AM | Reply

Why was he speaking at Trump rallies?

#22 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-09-11 03:29 PM | Reply

#22 | Posted by Sycophant, Maybe because unlike the damn Yankee, he can speak in complete sentences and express a cognoscente thought. Trump is a cheer leader, don't expect anything profound coming out of his short attention span mind. If Rep. Ron DeSantis was invited to speak at one of David Horowitz's gathering, he is no intellectual light weight.

#23 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-09-11 06:32 PM | Reply

I ain't paying 1 red cent to read online content.

Because it is created by magical elves that work for free.

#24 | Posted by 726 at 2018-09-12 11:53 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#18 | POSTED BY REDLIGHTROBOT AT 2018-09-10 09:35 PM | REPLY

This has to be one of the most bizarre paragraphs I have read on the retort. Reads out of a scifi novel. I am guessing you got a flu shot and you went a little under the weather. You make it sound like you were administered a psychotic and your life became to unravel. I seriously doubt the flu shot made it so you couldn't tell one day from the next. Were you possibly using other street drugs at this time?

#25 | Posted by byrdman at 2018-09-12 12:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I ain't paying 1 red cent to read online content."

You steal your neighbor's Wi-Fi too?

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-09-12 01:04 PM | Reply

Why was he speaking at Trump rallies?
#22 | POSTED BY SYCOPHANT

#23 | POSTED BY DOCNJO

You can feel the Whoosh on this one...

Trump is a terrible speaker. Obama and Clinton were both incredible speakers. Bush actually wasn't so bad.

So if you want to talk complete sentences and cognoscente thoughts, you are defending the wrong party. It would be nice if you could post some though. Grammar would help too.

#27 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-09-12 05:03 PM | Reply

#27 | Posted by Sycophant,Don't criticize my second language, I was raised speaking Texasese. As I remember those three excellent speakers all lied lie a rug, and they were not small lies.

#28 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-09-13 12:39 AM | Reply