Monday, September 10, 2018

As of 11 a.m., Monday, Florence was tracking west at 13 mph. Its peak winds were 135 mph, making it a Category 3 hurricane. The Hurricane Center predicts it will reach Category 4 intensity by Tuesday and maintain that intensity through landfall.

It is not out of the question that Florence could become a Category 5 hurricane at some point. The official Hurricane Center forecast suggests its peak winds will reach 150 mph winds between Tuesday and Wednesday, just 7 mph below Category 5.

If Florence makes landfall as a Category 4 in North Carolina, it will be the strongest storm to come ashore that far north on record....

Like Hurricane Harvey stalled over Texas in 2017, Florence could linger over the Southeast for several days after landfall. Forecast models suggest more than two feet of rain could fall over the higher elevations of the Carolinas and Virginia, which would generate dangerous flooding downstream.

Comments

Now a 4.

#1 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-09-10 01:01 PM | Reply

Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale
www.nhc.noaa.gov

Category Sustained Winds
Types of Damage Due to Hurricane Winds

1 74-95 mph
Very dangerous winds will produce some damage: Well-constructed frame homes could have damage to roof, shingles, vinyl siding and gutters. Large branches of trees will snap and shallowly rooted trees may be toppled. Extensive damage to power lines and poles likely will result in power outages that could last a few to several days.

2 96-110 mph
Extremely dangerous winds will cause extensive damage: Well-constructed frame homes could sustain major roof and siding damage. Many shallowly rooted trees will be snapped or uprooted and block numerous roads. Near-total power loss is expected with outages that could last from several days to weeks.

3 (major) 111-129 mph
Devastating damage will occur: Well-built framed homes may incur major damage or removal of roof decking and gable ends. Many trees will be snapped or uprooted, blocking numerous roads. Electricity and water will be unavailable for several days to weeks after the storm passes.

4 (major) 130-156 mph
Catastrophic damage will occur: Well-built framed homes can sustain severe damage with loss of most of the roof structure and/or some exterior walls. Most trees will be snapped or uprooted and power poles downed. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months.

5 (major) 157 mph or higher
Catastrophic damage will occur: A high percentage of framed homes will be destroyed, with total roof failure and wall collapse. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last for weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months.

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-09-10 02:46 PM | Reply

Even worse than the wind damage is the fact that it looks like it will stall over the SE US for several days.

Sounds like flooding damage will supersede wind damage in some places.

#3 | Posted by jpw at 2018-09-10 03:16 PM | Reply

They should have evacuated North Carolina ages ago.

#4 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-09-10 04:06 PM | Reply

Having just experienced Lane skirting the Hawaiian Islands, I hope people are taking this very seriously, stocking up on water and non-perishable food and moving inland.

#5 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-09-10 04:11 PM | Reply

Hopefully they get more help than PR got.

#6 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-09-10 04:12 PM | Reply

@#3 ... Even worse than the wind damage... Tropical storm rain levels for days over a coastal plain bordered by mountains that drain into the coastal plain? ...

This part: ... Forecast models suggest more than two feet of rain could fall over the higher elevations of the Carolinas and Virginia, which would generate dangerous flooding downstream. ...

Maybe it's just me, but I cannot imagine what two feet of rain looks like.

#7 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-09-10 04:13 PM | Reply

Stay safe Boaz and Teowarrior.

#8 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-09-10 04:20 PM | Reply

140mph cat 4 at the 5pm forecast, with a possibility of hitting cat 5 before dropping to cat 4 for landfall.

#9 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-09-10 05:41 PM | Reply

My place was just west of the eye when Ike hit Houston.

And that was a strong cat 2.

If I lived in NC (especially northern NC where the dirty side will come ashore) I'd have packed and booked it north already.

#10 | Posted by jpw at 2018-09-10 05:58 PM | Reply

Gods wrath.

#11 | Posted by bored at 2018-09-10 06:02 PM | Reply

I'm loaded for bear close to 50 gallons of water enough canned goods to last a week and adding a bit more with each trip to the store. We have a windowless room downstairs in case it gets to severe. I still need to hit the ABC store and on Wednesday I'll top off my gas and get a few bags of ice.

#12 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-09-10 06:15 PM | Reply

Good luck Tao. Keep safe and let us know how you're doing when you can.

#13 | Posted by dylanfan at 2018-09-11 12:18 AM | Reply

Stay safe, tao.

Are you in an evac zone or can you stay put?

#14 | Posted by jpw at 2018-09-11 02:34 AM | Reply

I'm way inland 135 miles from Wilmington (best guess at landfall) but current track has it heading straight for us with winds of 30 when it is over us on Sunday. We should start feeling it Thursday night or Friday morning so looks like a long couple days ahead. I have friends down in Wilmington and a couple others along the coast they are all evacing not sure if mandatory or just I have smart friends.

I offered my mother-in-law suite to any who needed it but they all got hotels close to Boaz.

#15 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-09-11 07:26 AM | Reply

Tao,

You have my email address and number. If you need, come to Clemmons. I've got water, lamps and Conac. I just got a few gallons of water left over from the last hurricane scare and I just loaded some more into the GT.

I need some batteries, but I'll get those today...

#16 | Posted by boaz at 2018-09-11 07:54 AM | Reply

Appreciate it Boaz. We should be fine but if this thing turns wrong or gets stronger I might take you up on it.

My neighborhood has already started organizing to help some of our elderly neighbors prep. We also have several generators and chainsaws for post cleanup. I used to work for a tree service so I have offered to head up tree removed. Our goal is to have our roads clear by sundown Sunday.

#17 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-09-11 08:49 AM | Reply

Boaz and Tao. Please keep us posted. This is a huge storm. Praying everyone in her path stays safe. Homes can be replaced, people not so much.

#18 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2018-09-11 10:49 AM | Reply

I just heard on local news that Connecticut and Rhode Island are sending the first wave of Red Cross volunteers to the area, about 3000 people. Their purpose was stated to help with the shelter system for the evacuees.

#19 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-09-11 11:33 AM | Reply

Good luck and stay safe.

#20 | Posted by silentwalker at 2018-09-11 03:26 PM | Reply

Just saw on NYC news that the New York Task Force 1 team is packing up to head towards the hurricane area. Trucks, boats, misc. equipment, search dogs and highly trained personnel are part of the contingent.

#21 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-09-11 04:10 PM | Reply

TAO & BOAZ, I am up-state SC (Greenville area). Looks like things will not be so bad here.

Hotels are filling up and restaurants are busy. Should be a crazy weekend.

#22 | Posted by sawdust at 2018-09-11 09:15 PM | Reply

Sawdust you best check the weather and lay in some water and canned goods. They are now calling for a turn to the south after landfall. I'll still get some stuff since this storm is so big but looks like the catastrophic stuff will be reserved for my friends to the south.

#23 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-09-12 06:15 AM | Reply

Maybe it's just me, but I cannot imagine what two feet of rain looks like.

#7 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-09-10 04:13 PMFlag: (Choose)FunnyNewsworthyOffensiveAbusive

You don't have to imagine, just look up pictures of what happened around Baton Rouge, La in August of 2016.

#24 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-09-12 08:37 AM | Reply

One model shows it stalling in Wilmington if that happens they are saying not 2 but 3 feet of rain.

#25 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-09-12 08:46 AM | Reply

i.imgur.com
Feeling better about choosing to hang-out in Hampton Roads.
Now I get to be worried about my parents who remain in Augusta.

#26 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-09-12 10:37 AM | Reply

I'm west of Clemmons. Keep safe Boaz, Tao

#27 | Posted by Petrous at 2018-09-12 11:00 AM | Reply

My son is living in Raleigh and has done little if any preparation. I figured after all the natural disasters we've been through he'd at least got out ahead of this. I was wrong, looks like FEMA is his back up plan.

Stay safe everyone, this looks like it'll be nasty.

#28 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-09-12 11:16 AM | Reply

Everyone stay safe, if you can head west, do so immediately. Your safety is paramount over your physical possessions.

#29 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-09-12 11:21 AM | Reply

All: I have a backyard weather station connected to WeatherUnderground via the Internet (1 of over 300,000 worldwide). In addition to temperature and humidity, it also provides rain fall rate/measurements, barametric pressure, and wind speed/direction. There's also a historical feature with choice of daily, weekly, monthly, yearly and custom readings.

Here are a few like mine along the North Carolina/South Carolina coast:

Topsail Beach, NC

Wilmington, NC

Emerald Isle, NC

Bald Head Island, NC

North Myrtle Beach, SC

Myrtle Beach, SC

You can zoom out on the radar map on each page to find more such local weather stations.

#30 | Posted by Hans at 2018-09-12 11:22 AM | Reply

Thanks, Hans. My family who live in Myrtle Beach, but inland a bit, have decided to stay and ride out the storm. I think they are nuts, but ... . Now I get to pray and worry for however many days it takes them to get back in touch with me.

#31 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-09-12 11:31 AM | Reply

#31 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-09-12 11:31 AM

You're most welcome, Gal.

If you zoom out (keep clicking on the - symbol) on the radar map for Myrtle Beach, SC you might find one of those weather stations near your family.

If the weather stations go offline that might be due to loss of power/loss of Internet connectivity.

#32 | Posted by Hans at 2018-09-12 11:41 AM | Reply

Boaz is in the path of the storm?

Well, THAT explains it!

God is giving him lessons in one of the effects of global warming.

More intense storms.

Too bad everyone else has to get hammered because of the ignorance of a few. But, hey, that God Fellow works in mysterious ways you know.

#33 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-09-12 11:44 AM | Reply

#26 if that model is correct this will be even worse than just a straight hit.

#34 | Posted by jpw at 2018-09-12 01:02 PM | Reply

#26 if that model is correct this will be even worse than just a straight hit. - #34 | Posted by jpw at 2018-09-12 01:02 PM

It's going to be bad for where ever it hits. The new track just points towards that not being my neck of Virginia. Now we're contacting family in Augusta, Savannah and Charleston to see if they want to pay us a visit. It tracked too close for us to make the offer before last night. Maybe having cousins in for the weekend.

#35 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-09-12 01:07 PM | Reply

It's going to be bad for where ever it hits.

Certainly.

But that's low country. Moving along the coast like that while that strong is going to cause a lot more storm surge and coastal flooding damage than it might have otherwise.

#36 | Posted by jpw at 2018-09-12 01:16 PM | Reply

"I hope Charleston isn't hit too bad. I love it there and was planning on taking a trip back there next year."

About 15 years ago, the bride and I were on an sojourn through the low country, between Savannah and Charleston, and one of her travel books recommended the little town of Edisto Beach on Edisto island, one of the Gullah sea islands. We fell in love with it. It's now occupied by a bunch of old curmudgeons who have seen Hilton Head, and want no part of it. I call it "The Land That Time Forgot"; we've been back at least 9 times. It's an hour away from Charleston and 95 minutes from Savannah, so you're never far from culture or great food. The crosscurrents are a bit bizarre, so the shelling is out of this world, especially at or near Botany Bay. And there's an ocean side, and a sound side to the boomerang-shaped town. All it's got is a Shell station, a Piggly Wiggly, one good restaurant, one world-class dive, some ------ restaurants, and a surf shop.

#37 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-09-12 01:26 PM | Reply

#37 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-09-12 01:26 PM
* and excellent sweat tea.

#38 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-09-12 01:35 PM | Reply

Now I'm glad my mom decided to evacuate, she is in savannah and I thought she was nuts this weekend when she told me she was leaving Thursday morning, now I wish she was leaving tonight.

#39 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-09-12 03:43 PM | Reply

Now I'm glad my mom decided to evacuate,

#39 | POSTED BY TAOWARRIOR

Frank Cotton isn't evacuating, he's traveling down there.

#40 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-09-12 03:50 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Frank Cotton isn't evacuating, he's traveling down there."

Frank Cotton is a reporter now?

#41 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-09-12 06:59 PM | Reply

"Frank Cotton isn't evacuating, he's traveling down there."
Frank Cotton is a reporter now?

POSTED BY DONNERBOY AT 2018-09-12 06:59 PM | REPLY

Jeff's trying to appear tough. You know that pseudo conservative masculinity.

#42 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-09-12 07:07 PM | Reply