Saturday, September 08, 2018

One of China's richest men, Jack Ma, is to step down as executive chairman of the Alibaba e-commerce empire on Monday. He will remain on Alibaba's board of directors but focus on philanthropy in education. Mr Ma began his professional life teaching English at a university in the Chinese city of Hangzhou. He started Alibaba from his flat in Hangzhou with a group of friends.

Comments

Mr Ma told Bloomberg TV that he wanted to create a personal foundation, following in the footsteps of Microsoft's Bill Gates.

"There's a lot of things I can learn from Bill Gates," he said.

"I can never be as rich, but one thing I can do better is to retire earlier. I think some day, and soon, I'll go back to teaching. This is something I think I can do much better than being CEO of Alibaba."

#1 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-09-08 08:46 AM | Reply

So is he in or is he out?

Weird...

#2 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-09-08 12:10 PM | Reply

geeze imagine what would have happed if KFC gave him a job all those years ago....

#3 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2018-09-08 01:11 PM | Reply

Weird...

#2 | Posted by J_Tremain

What do you mean? He stepped down as executive chairman and remains on the board. "He will remain on Alibaba's board of directors but focus on philanthropy in education"

He just gave up the CEO position to pursue his passion - like Gates. RIF man, RIF - Reading is Fundamental.

#4 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-09-08 01:38 PM | Reply

He stepped down as executive chairman

Alibaba says NYT story on Jack Ma's retirement is wrong; Ma will continue as executive chairman

RIF man, RIF - Reading is Fundamental.

#5 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-09-08 01:41 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

#5 | Posted by J_Tremain

LMAO - So you CLEARLY did NOT READ either the linked story or my post? Or is English comprehension the issue? The NEW link and NYT article are after your post.

#6 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-09-08 05:16 PM | Reply

#6 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-09-08 05:16 PM | Reply | Flag: Too dumb to argue with

#7 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-09-08 11:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

nation.com.pk

Alibaba co-founder and chairman Jack Ma will unveil a succession plan on Monday, the South China Morning Post reported Sunday, with a company spokesman denying a New York Times report that he would retire that day.

An Alibaba spokesman told the SCMP that the New York Times' story "was taken out of context, and factually wrong".
---------------------

So Trump is right.. this time. The NYT really is a garbage news source (I always knew it).

Controversy settled. Jack Ma isn't going anywhere. I was worried there for a second.

Happy shopping.

#8 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-09-09 05:12 AM | Reply

Maybe I will finally stop hearing folk wisdom from Jack Ma.

#9 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-09-09 07:59 PM | Reply