Wednesday, September 05, 2018

The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, will accept written answers from President Trump on questions about whether his campaign conspired with Russia's election interference, Mr. Mueller's office told Mr. Trump's lawyers in a letter, two people briefed on it said on Tuesday. But on another significant aspect of the investigation -- whether the president tried to obstruct the inquiry itself -- Mr. Mueller and his investigators understood that issues of executive privilege could complicate their pursuit of a presidential interview and did not ask for written responses on that matter, according to the letter, which was sent on Friday.

Comments

It's interesting that Mueller is willing to accept a "deposition by written question" on certain issues, which is never that effective since you have no ability to cross examine the answers. There are two ways to look at this: 1) they already have everything they need on the conspiracy question and are just giving Donnie Little Hands more rope to hang himself with, or 2) they now consider this to be a non issue and are going to focus on obstruction.

On the issue of obstruction, my guess would be that the Special Counsel office is still trying to figure out how to get answers to their questions short of a subpoena, which ultimately I think they will be forced to serve.

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-09-04 08:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

WH aides are looking for his crayons as we speak.

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2018-09-04 10:37 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

#1 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

Sometimes those written questions can be worded in ways that really prevent escape...especially when Donnie doesn't know what Mueller has.

In addition, I'd be worried if I were Donnie's lawyers that Donald might try to change the answers and won't sign the ones they want.

#3 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-09-05 01:17 PM | Reply

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter

Why? Do you think donny has something to hide? Or do you think he's incapable of talking without lying?

And which one of these ISNT disqualifying for a president?

#4 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-09-05 01:20 PM | Reply

@#4 ... Do you think donny has something to hide? Or do you think he's incapable of talking without lying? ...

Why do you phrase that in an "either/or" construct?

#5 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-09-05 01:23 PM | Reply

I'm not sure if your point is that they can word questions on obstruction this way...it is my understanding that Trump's lawyers haven't reached an agreement on questioning regarding obstruction, so it really doesn't matter (yet) how those questions would be worded.

#6 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-09-05 02:51 PM | Reply

#6 | Posted by Rightocenter

And why do you suppose that is?

If you had to bet money on it...

#7 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-09-05 02:58 PM | Reply

Because they don't trust him to keep his story straight under oath. At the risk of incurring deranged cries of "whataboutism", they have learned from the mistakes that Clinton's lawyers made during the Starr investigation and don't trust Trump to tell the truth.

#8 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-09-05 03:27 PM | Reply

Trump Jan 2018: I'm looking forward to it. I will do it under oath. There was no collusion

Trump Sep 2018: yeah, forget all that I said in the past.

#9 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2018-09-05 03:37 PM | Reply

Because they don't trust him to keep his story straight under oath.

#8 | Posted by Rightocenter

And why don't you think he can do that?

#10 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-09-05 04:01 PM | Reply

Likely submitted in crayon, I'm sure.

#11 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-09-05 04:07 PM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the written questions wouldn't be about obstruction. The written questions would be about conspiring with Russia.

The issue is that Trump does't know what Mueller has. Questions can be written to let Trump hang himself unequivocally. You've written discovery questions before. We can write them fairly airtight and force the other side to answer directly.

#12 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-09-05 04:21 PM | Reply

This, to me, suggests that Mueller has more than he needs on the issue of conspiracy, and that it's not worth the political damage (unfounded as it may be) of fighting over a subpoena to add another count of making false statements to the long list of criminal counts he will likely recommend against Trump.

Trump is going to lie in person and he's going to lie in writing too. And that's if Trump ever even answers written questions, which I'm not convinced he will. Mueller is calling their bluff but they will dodge this too.

#13 | Posted by JOE at 2018-09-05 04:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Honestly, I think there is going to be a subpoena fight over the obstruction testimony regardless, and if I thought I had a claim on the conspiracy I would add that to the obstruction subpoena fight since its going to happen anyway.

By agreeing to written questions on the conspiracy claims, that appears to me that they are done with that line of inquiry and merely want to get Trump on the record as to his responses. It's anyone's guess as to what they have, but going this route seems to be a waste of time if they have enough to indict for conspiracy.

#14 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-09-05 05:34 PM | Reply

#14 Here's one criminal lawyer's take; he's been a good source throughout this saga.

threadreaderapp.com

#15 | Posted by JOE at 2018-09-05 05:59 PM | Reply

I have been reading Abramson's stuff from the beginning, and he is soooo invested in the collusion theory that he wrote a book on it that he is taking preorders on his twitter feed for. He may be right, but I think he is reading too much into it in an effort to feed his readers what they want to hear.

While I only worked for the DA's office for a couple of years, most seasoned Prosecutors that I worked for would "button up" cases when they were ready for an indictment and it just seems weird to me that if Muller had proof of conspiracy, as Abramson so desperately wants to believe, that he would go this route for information if he already had everything that he needed.

Don't get me wrong, he definitely has something on both "collusion" and obstruction, but whether it is chargeable only Mueller and his team know.

#16 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-09-05 06:11 PM | Reply

most seasoned Prosecutors that I worked for would "button up" cases when they were ready for an indictment and it just seems weird to me that if Muller had proof of conspiracy... that he would go this route for information if he already had everything that he needed.

Hopefully you'll acknowledge the difference that this particular investigation has been (and will be) attacked relentlessly for any perceived flaw, real or imagined, and that Mueller has more of an interest in and obligation to leave no stone unturned, regardless of what he already has. You can imagine how easy it would be for Trump and his sycophants to criticize the fact that "Mueller never even tried to talk to the target of his investigation," "he was afraid to hear the truth," etc.

#17 | Posted by JOE at 2018-09-05 06:34 PM | Reply

I get that, and I hope you will acknowledge that this particular investigation, should it come up like Benghazi, will be attacked relentlessly for any perceived flaw, real or imagined,...which is another reason why Mueller is leaving no stone unturned. You can imagine how easy it will be for the Left and its sycophants to criticize the fact that "Mueller never even tried to talk to the target of his investigation," "he was afraid to hear the truth," etc.

It cuts both ways counselor.

#18 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-09-05 09:56 PM | Reply

You can imagine how easy it would be for Trump and his sycophants to criticize the fact that "Mueller never even tried to talk to the target of his investigation," "he was afraid to hear the truth," etc. - #17 | Posted by JOE at 2018-09-05 06:34 PM

Why would they need to make that statement considering that Trump has never been the target of that investigation.
Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein told President Donald Trump last week that he isn't a target of any part of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation or the probe into his longtime lawyer, Michael Cohen, according to several people familiar with the matter.
Unless you've seen something different since the Rosenstein made that statement?

#19 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-09-06 09:49 AM | Reply

Once the facts become known regarding Donald J. Trump, his family, much of the Cabinet and his "all the best people" maladministration - the flagrant corruption and the leverage Vladimir Putin can apply while openly cyber-attacking our country will result in the 21st Century equivalent to a crucifixion, pixel-death by millions of Tweets. And not much else.

Beware the rise of the 260+ lb. CheetoJeebus.

#20 | Posted by getoffmedz at 2018-09-06 11:27 AM | Reply

#18 I don't even understand your point.

#19 If they told Trump he was a target, the investigation would be shuttered. You can play stupid (or be stupid) all you want, but don't expect me to join you.

#21 | Posted by JOE at 2018-09-06 12:19 PM | Reply

Isn't he just going to void answers he's already consumed for Mueller?

That is a good one, guys. A double-entre poop joke doesn't just fall into your lap very often - which I know is anatomically so wrong, but in Trump world is so right.

#22 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2018-09-06 05:31 PM | Reply