Sunday, August 12, 2018

In the 18 months before [Donald] Trump moved into the White House, 3.7 million jobs were created, seven in 10 Americans said they were doing fine or living comfortably and the economy grew. In the 18 months since, 3.4 million jobs were created, seven in 10 Americans said they were doing fine or living comfortably and the economy grew. Stubbornly slow wage growth and wide income gaps have spanned both periods.

Comments

It's all cyclical, and the inevitable economic downturn (probably not in 2020 but definitely by 2024) will be saddled on Trump's successor.

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-08-12 01:21 PM | Reply

Just an observation, but one I find telling when it comes to the MSM.

This is not to insinuate a discrediting of the content of the article itself. As I said, just an observation.

#2 | Posted by 9mmHeater at 2018-08-12 06:40 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

#2 | Posted by 9mmHeater

Check the captions (i.e., the first two words in the article). Trump is also referred to as "the president" several times. So, when it comes to bias, pot meet kettle =D

#3 | Posted by horstngraben at 2018-08-12 07:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I wouldn't call Trump president to his face. "Mr.Trump" makes a polite statement.

#4 | Posted by Zed at 2018-08-12 07:15 PM | Reply

And if he called me Zed I get to call him Donald.

#5 | Posted by Zed at 2018-08-12 07:16 PM | Reply

We do it not out of disrespect for the dotard, we do it because it triggers fascist ----------.

#6 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-08-12 07:19 PM | Reply

The global economy, led by the proactive second largest economy in the world, has a slow response time to stimulus. Everyone on the left and center believed Bill Clinton was responsible for the dot-com bubble and may he was or maybe it was just lucky inevitable timing. Nobody realized that the insidious income disparity and concentration of wealth by the 1% began during the dot-com boom.

The state of the economy is first measured by totaling everyone's income as GDP, so even though disparity continues to grow rapidly, so does the total. Another factor is unemployment which is persistently understated for politic reasons. These trends were both long running before Trump and continue.

Trump is aggravating conditions favorable to the 1% and unfavorable for the 99% through denial of global warming, tax policy, trade policy and health care policy.

Enjoy the boom while you can. There is no way it will last to the end of Trump's term.

#7 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-08-12 07:30 PM | Reply

@#2 ... Not a single time in the article does the writer, Patricia Cohen, say 'President Trump'. She says Trump, Donald Trump, & Mr. Trump throughout.

At the same time, the 1st time he is referred to by Cohen she says, 'President Barack Obama'. ...

The first time a person is mentioned in a newspaper article, it is the first and last name and the title. From then on, only the last name is used.

At the beginning of the article, Pres Trump is referred to as, "before Donald J. Trump was elected president." So there is his full name and title.

The first time fmr Pres Obama is mentioned it is as "President Barack Obama." Again, from then on, only the last name is used.

I'll also note that both fmr Pres Obama and Pres Trump are referred to as Mr Obama and Mr Trump. The "Mr" is noteworthy, as usually only the last name is used in subsequent references. So the "Mr" is there because of the presidency.

Most major newspapers follow this type of style guide.

#8 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-08-12 08:15 PM | Reply

I agree with most of what you said, LL.

President Barack Obama, being used as a proper title, does not equate to the word president & a man or woman's name being used in the same sentence. Especially when that sentence states, 'before.....', and considering we are talking about how 2 president's are referred to in this case.

Other than that, I fully understand that 'Mr. so and so' is common practice, notably in journalism, and respectful.

#9 | Posted by 9mmHeater at 2018-08-12 08:39 PM | Reply

Trump is also referred to as "the president" several times.

#3 | Posted by horstngraben

True, yet not relevant to the discussion.

Still, I'd say to that comment, your idea of several must be a bit smaller than mine. Unless you count things such as these as being 'referred' to as "the president".

"Economists are quick to point out that presidents of both parties are assigned more credit or blame than they deserve for the economy"

"At the same time, however, both presidents have had trouble transforming their economic successes into more general support."

#10 | Posted by 9mmHeater at 2018-08-12 08:53 PM | Reply

@#9 ...The part I disagree with, and it's getting into semantics but you did venture there first, is your 2nd sentence. I noted it as well in the article, however, "before Donald J. Trump was elected president." So there is his full name and title.", is, respectfully, a weak argument against my observation. ...

I wasn't arguing against your observation, I was just telling you about the style that is used in newspapers.

So you don't like "before Donald J. Trump was elected president." Well, the sentence construction asked for the way it was written.

"before President Donald J. Trump was elected president" sounds awkward at best.

You ceded the high ground when you blasted the reporter, "I can not be the only one who sees this for what it is. A clearly biased reporter who can't even summons an ounce of decency or respect from her feeble & petty self. Sad."

"Clearly biased"?

imo, it is not the reporter's writing that is sad ...

#11 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-08-12 09:02 PM | Reply

I know that personal anecdotes are not popular with some here, but this discussion jogged a memory for me.

When Gore was running against Bush II, I tended bar at a private home for a Gore fund raiser. This was in Houston, TX & Vice President Gore was present, along with a small army of Secret Service agent's. Typical for anyone in that position, of course.

Before he entered the house, all the staff were asked to stand back in the kitchen, which of course we did. If you can, picture this. About 12 of us standing shoulder to shoulder along a long counter in the kitchen, and to our right was a hallway that led to a side door on the left and to the right the reception area of the home.

VP Gore entered thru that side door, shook a hand and looked to his right and saw the staff. He immediately walked towards the kitchen and began shaking each of our hands in succession. Now, I was all republican at that point in my life, and I despised the man (still do but for other reasons). But when he shook my hand and said something to the effect of, 'thank you for helping out with this tonight', I replied with a nod and said, 'nice to meet you Mr. Vice President'.

Why? Because that is called respect for the position & title, NOT the man or woman! Too many folks need to get in touch with this idea it seems.

#12 | Posted by 9mmHeater at 2018-08-12 09:14 PM | Reply

imo, it is not the reporter's writing that is sad ...

#11 | Posted by LampLighter

Nor is it my opinion.

And maybe I am reading too much into it, and had she referred to both Obama & Trump, just once, as President Obama or Trump, or referred to neither in the manner I'd have no issue at all.

This shows, what I consider, an obvious bias in the writer, or a careless or disrespectful one. Which is the part I find sad, not the writing. The wording lol.

#13 | Posted by 9mmHeater at 2018-08-12 09:23 PM | Reply

@#13 ...And maybe I am reading too much into it, ...

Ya think?

It may be just me, but if I held the same opinion as you, I'd not want to over-react and write something along the lines of

...I can not be the only one who sees this for what it is. A clearly biased reporter who can't even summons an ounce of decency or respect from her feeble & petty self. Sad.

"can't even summons an ounce of decency or respect from her feeble & petty self."

That's the part I feel is sad.

#14 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-08-12 10:17 PM | Reply

I can't disagree that the comment you cited is harsh & too certain of itself, as well as quick to judge.

I've worked hard at it & still am, but I do still pop off on occasion. When I do, I'm usually going on my intuition with a good deal of knowledge & understanding added in, of American politics, the MSM, or whatever the topic.

But, you're right. It's still snap judgement, regardless. Like I said, I'm working on it.

#15 | Posted by 9mmHeater at 2018-08-12 11:00 PM | Reply

Still doesn't mean I'm wrong, tho. HAHA!!

TBH, I know nothing about Cohen, nor have I spent any time researching her.

#16 | Posted by 9mmHeater at 2018-08-12 11:04 PM | Reply

"Obama's Economic Upturn Now Trump's to Tout"

IOW, the same numbers that were "horrible" for Obama are "the best ever" for Trump.

#17 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-08-12 11:20 PM | Reply

#2 - How many Russians does it take to make a 9MMHEATER?

#18 | Posted by getoffmedz at 2018-08-13 08:43 AM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

Seeing the trend? Economy crashes, elect a Dem who fixes it. Economy soars, elect a Republican who crashes it.

Over and over since Reagan/Bush in the 80's and 90's.

#19 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-08-13 12:23 PM | Reply

-Seeing the trend?

The one where folks can explain away anything they want with partisan bent rants on issues that require extensive knowledge in economics and tax policy?

that's not a trend really.....just a constant expectation.

#20 | Posted by eberly at 2018-08-13 12:26 PM | Reply

-Seeing the trend?
that's not a trend really.....just a constant expectation.

#20 | POSTED BY EBERLY

Does it? Looks to be some pretty common factors: Huge tax cuts and massive deregulation drives economy off a cliff. Democrats raise taxes and regulation while Republicans whine yet Democrats fix the economy. Republican takes over, takes credit, and destroys it again... Trump will be the third one in a row.

#21 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-08-13 04:01 PM | Reply

so, the economy has been driven off a cliff by Trump?

#22 | Posted by eberly at 2018-08-13 04:23 PM | Reply

More like into a brick wall of tariffs.

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-08-13 04:30 PM | Reply

obama cited that the upturn would not happen: www.pbs.org

The president declined to invoke the real estate mogul's full name, saying that he would let Trump "do his advertising for him."

But Obama criticized Trump's claims that he could use his business acumen to spur economic growth and tackle other complex issues.

"He just says, ‘I'm gonna negotiate a better deal.' Well how? How exactly are you going to negotiate that?" Obama said during the town hall portion of the event. "What magic wand do you have? And usually the answer is, he doesn't have an answer."

#24 | Posted by MSgt at 2018-08-13 06:59 PM | Reply

#24 | POSTED BY MSGT

Also, historically, when he says he's gonna negotiate a better deal, it tends to be a worse deal for the US.

#25 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-08-13 07:47 PM | Reply

The following HTML tags are allowed in comments: a href, b, i, p, br, ul, ol, li and blockquote. Others will be stripped out. Participants in this discussion must follow the site's moderation policy. Profanity will be filtered. Abusive conduct is not allowed.

Anyone can join this site and make comments. To post this comment, you must sign it with your Drudge Retort username. If you can't remember your username or password, use the lost password form to request it.
Username: