Friday, August 10, 2018

Ryan Kelly had been working all day when he heard a car rev its engine and saw a flash of metal speed by. He didn't know what was happening; he didn't think. He did what photojournalists do: pointed his camera and shot. What he captured on Aug. 12, 2017, was an image that would command the world's attention, win journalism's highest honor and symbolize the worst moment of this university town's worst day: a gathering of white nationalists and the killing of a young woman who came to protest them.

Comments

The photo:
www.washingtonpost.com

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-08-10 03:02 PM | Reply

This is total disgrace and a tragedy. This is supposed to be the 21st century.

#2 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-08-11 07:22 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Laura,

Because of the intensity of the story, I have mixed emotions about dragging this out and talking about it again and again.

For one, this is an isolated incident regardless how horrific it is and depending on what you believe it can get all blown out of proportion.

You don't see this kind of thing happen very often and frankly keeping it in the news might just have the effect of giving more people the idea of doing it. You know...copy cat.

Not all people who are conservative would ever defend white supremacy groups. The word supremacy implies others are inferior which is most certainly not what most people think. Some white people might not approve of reverse discrimination occurring because it can be unfair but not to the extent of thinking's anyone is inferior.

You're right...this is a disgrace but for many reasons and not just the obvious one.

Lamp,

Hard to look at? Yes.

Typical tactic of manipulative people.

#3 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-08-11 08:09 AM | Reply | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

#4 | Posted by woe_is_W at 2018-08-11 08:37 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

Pulling down the Set As Background still makes it hard to look at.

#5 | Posted by ajwood at 2018-08-11 09:00 AM | Reply

"3: Seriously, did it not occur to you that 'It's Still Hard to Look At' might be disturbing?"

Probably not. That boy's dumb as a rock.

#6 | Posted by Angrydad at 2018-08-11 09:58 AM | Reply

"Thank you for being deceitful and not telling me in the title what I was about to see when I clicked on it so I could have avoided it.

Typical tactic of manipulative people."

Tough to look at what you wrought, eh?

#7 | Posted by SunTzuMeow at 2018-08-11 02:13 PM | Reply

"Not all people who are conservative would ever defend white supremacy groups."

I think you mean, "endorse."

Because if you support the Constitution -- I know, not everyone does, and not all parts equally -- that means you do in fact "defend" their right to freedom of speech, peaceably assemble, trial by jury, etc.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-08-11 02:20 PM | Reply

Typical tactic of manipulative people.

#3 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-08-11 08:09 AM | Reply | Flag:
| Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

I'm not sure how you view posts on the Retort, but if the headline wasn't enough, the intro paragraph tells you what the story's about. Manipulative? Nonsense.

#9 | Posted by cbob at 2018-08-11 02:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Peaceably assemble being key here.

#10 | Posted by horstngraben at 2018-08-11 03:36 PM | Reply

Typical tactic of manipulative people.
#3 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-08-11 08:09 AM | Reply |

Lord you sure whine a lot. You may want to check your T Levels.

#11 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-08-11 05:39 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Cbob,

True empathy isn't a trait exhibited by a great many people these days.

Obviously the originator of this thread lacked that ability.

Either you get my point or you don't.

I don't watch disturbing graphic violent movies and I avoid news stories that show graphic pictures and videos.

Reading about the news stories is quite sufficient.

#12 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-08-11 11:04 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Not to mention I saw my wife fly through the air flipping over 2 lanes after being hit by a car.

Maybe I'm a little touchy on seeing that sort of photo without warning.

#13 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-08-11 11:59 PM | Reply

13 see 11. She knows of what she speaks. And that was a poor afterthought attempt for empathy.

You and empathy, what a laugh. You've posted here long enough for your selectivity to be observed.

#14 | Posted by memyselfini at 2018-08-12 03:44 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"Not to mention I saw my wife..." - #13 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-08-11 11:59 PM

Aren't you supposed to be gay?

"Thank you for being deceitful..." - #3 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-08-11 08:09 AM

Pot, meet kettle.

#15 | Posted by Hans at 2018-08-12 05:02 AM | Reply

Hans,

"supposed to be gay"

Quite the enigma aren't I?

Of course all the arm-chair experts here know all.

#16 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2018-08-12 09:12 AM | Reply

There are some things I don't know, BILL. One or two, in fact.

#17 | Posted by Zed at 2018-08-12 09:38 AM | Reply

Here's the bottom line for me. The truth about the alt-right, or whatever you want to call this "movement," is ugly and at times frightening. But it's more important to disseminate the truth than it is to worry about whether it's going to be upsetting.

#18 | Posted by cbob at 2018-08-13 11:21 AM | Reply