Friday, August 10, 2018

The man arrested at a squalid New Mexico compound is the son of a controversial Brooklyn imam who was on a list of people who "may be alleged as co-conspirators" to the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, according to court documents released by prosecutors Wednesday. Siraj Wahhaj, who shares a name with his son who was arrested Saturday, testified as a character witness for Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman, the notorious "blind sheikh" who was convicted in 1995 of plotting terror attacks in the U.S.

Comments

Yeah, when I was kid I would have been pretty damn angry if someone wanted to take away my gun and perform an exorcism on me.

Well, okay, I still feel that way, but still....

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-08-10 12:04 AM | Reply

Not me. Not if it involved baby oil.

As the British say... "Lie back and think of the Queen".

#2 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-08-10 02:01 AM | Reply

#1 *and try to perform an exorcism

Dammit, I totally stink at the word thought typing thingy.

#3 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-08-10 02:27 AM | Reply

Looks like loony Louie Gohmert was right, there are Terror Babies being trained! Except...

#4 | Posted by e1g1 at 2018-08-10 08:50 PM | Reply

Count one more reason to allow New Mexico to break off and join Old Mexico: it is a state with Islamic terrorist cell(s) within its borders.

#5 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-08-11 12:09 PM | Reply

This thread would be buzzing if the perps were white christians and/or NRA members.

#6 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-08-11 12:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

So in other words, they were homeschooled

#7 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2018-08-11 12:51 PM | Reply

From the link:
"The documents claim Wahhaj was conducting weapons training with assault rifles at the compound with the children."

...and that's it. That's the only reference. Doesn't it seem odd there are no additional details?

Then later on in the article: "Wahhaj was armed with multiple firearms, including an assault rifle."

AN assault rifle. One. Yet he was "conducting weapons training with assault rifles. " Where are the additional assault rifles?

#8 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-08-11 12:57 PM | Reply

Big deal.
We did that in the Boy Scouts.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-08-11 12:59 PM | Reply

This thread would be buzzing on a conservative blog.

Where you'd feel more at home.

With you fellow gullible morons and racists.

And since when do you deplorables care about gun violence or school shootings? Since a Muslim got one?

#10 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-08-11 01:28 PM | Reply

Weapons Training While Muslim is now a crime, I guess.

I'm sure the NRA will be along to defend their Constitutional rights, just as soon as the check from Russia clears.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-08-11 02:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Did you even read the article, snoofy?
I'm sure your tone would have been the opposite if this was Christians.

#12 | Posted by willowby at 2018-08-11 05:06 PM | Reply

"I'm sure your tone would have been the opposite if this was Christians."

My tone is as follows:
How is this to be avoided when the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed?

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-08-11 07:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#6 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-08-11 12:47 PM | Reply | Flag:
| Newsworthy 1

As a lefty, I can say throw these terrorist, child-abusing cretins in prison.

There, ya happy? Tool.

#14 | Posted by cbob at 2018-08-11 09:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Looks like the NRA has some competition.

#15 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2018-08-12 05:10 PM | Reply

#15 What an incredibly stupid thing to say. The NRA doesn't train you to be a terrorist and do exorcism rituals on you. Jesus! Thank God the New Left has no hope of winning the Second Civil War even if does start one. All you guys can do is spout insanity and try to censor your skeptics. Damn.

And the results of your tactics tend to be funny, sad, and pathetic for their uselessness. Not to mention insulting and irritating. But you do pose a minor danger to liberty for now.

#16 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-08-12 05:32 PM | Reply

"The NRA doesn't train you to be a terrorist "

"One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter."

You may not agree with that, but the NRA does:
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun."

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-08-12 05:40 PM | Reply

Aborted can you please show proof where the NRA supports terrorism? Supporting gun ownership is not the same as supporting killing innocent people especially children.

#18 | Posted by byrdman at 2018-08-12 05:40 PM | Reply

#16 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT AT 2018-08-12 05:32 PM | FLAG:

Please. You are terrified, Gomer. You know you are on the wrong side of history. Already decent people look at you and your ilk with non-comprehension and disgust. In a generation, you'll be thought of like segregationists.

#19 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-08-12 05:42 PM | Reply

#18 | POSTED BY BYRDMAN AT 2018-08-12 05:40 PM | FLAG:

Except in practice.

#20 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-08-12 05:42 PM | Reply

"Supporting gun ownership is not the same as supporting killing innocent people especially children."

The result of the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed is evident in places like Chicago.

So, yes, it does mean that.

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-08-12 05:43 PM | Reply

POSTED BY BYRDMAN AT 2018-08-12 05:40 PM | REPLY

When they refuse to call for gun control after mass shootings they do indeed support terrorism because that's what the shooters are. Domestic terrorists.

#22 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-08-12 05:43 PM | Reply

#17 This wasn't hard to find:

"One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter."

I did another search on Google Books with the date set between 1800 and 1950. It returned "The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, Volume 463" (1890). Page 12 contains the phrase "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." and already cites it as a cliche at that time. Assuming that the date is correct, that would make the phrase over 120 years old. [1]

Edit: while the google search states the book is over 120 years old, the section is from a book of 1982, Chapter 1, Statements about terrorism by Brian M. Jenkins, p.12 journals.sagepub.com

It does not originate with "Die Another Day (2002)"

I have already done this search for w:Gerald Seymour See the talk page for that Wikipedia article:

If you search Google books using the "Advanced Book Search" with a date of publication blank and 1960 (ie before 1961 with the "all the words" box filled with the string (but not in quotes),[2] it will return India Quarterly, by Indian Council of World Affairs, Published by Indian Council of World Affairs [etc.], 1945. p. 122. "The difficulty of defining terrorism has led to the cliche that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." Which means that if it was a cliche in 1945 then had already been in use for some time.

and a search using 1974 as the last date of publication on the exact phrase returns 7 items,[3] and without quotes shows it was in common use.[4] ] One at the top of that page claims that it originated with "Darrell Trent" ""One man's terrorist," Darrell Trent wrote last year," is another man's freedom fighter." (American Library Association Adult Services Division - 1965) which as the 1945 date shows is not true.

--Philip Baird Shearer 01:27, 25 November 2008 (UTC)

Philip Baird Shearer Google books no longer shows a date of 1945 but 1986 instead, which now makes your sources unreliable. However they are still relatively more reliable than the original blockbuster --Riverstogo (talk) 20:50, 26 December 2014 (UTC)

#23 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-08-12 05:45 PM | Reply

#23 your ability to google phrases in quotes is second to none!

#24 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-08-12 05:47 PM | Reply

What an incredibly weird conversation to be having. I hope Nulli shows up and kicks all your commie butts.

#25 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-08-12 05:50 PM | Reply

At 1 time I was all aboard common sense gun control until I heard tape after tape of liberal politician saying that gun control was the first step of banning all guns.

#26 | Posted by byrdman at 2018-08-12 05:51 PM | Reply

We ought to have a discussion about the NRA revealed to be a propaganda front for the Kremlin.

#27 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-08-12 05:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#26 | POSTED BY BYRDMAN AT 2018-08-12 05:51 PM | FLAG:

And then, as if by magic, you stopped caring about dead kids! Way to go, NRA!

#28 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-08-12 05:59 PM | Reply

#27 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2018-08-12 05:54 PM | FLAG:

These drones don't know or don't care. They are used to it now. Trump basically laughed at them all through his campaign, saying they'd support him no matter what. Didn't even make a dent.

#29 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-08-12 06:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I hope Nulli shows up and kicks all your commie butts.

#25 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT AT 2018-08-12 05:50 PM | FLAG:

Observe how, when threatened, the beta fascist calls to the alpha fascists for help.

#30 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-08-12 06:07 PM | Reply

POSTED BY BYRDMAN AT 2018-08-12 05:51 PM | REPLY

Telling lies like Mustang ehhhhhhhhhh??? Not surprising from the right wingers.

#31 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-08-12 06:24 PM | Reply

Chicago is a right talking point because Obama and the gun restrictions.

It seems to be doing better than most on this site. And frankly the issue covered in the article would be less of a threat if this nation had sensible gun control laws.

#32 | Posted by JOE at 2018-08-12 06:51 PM | Reply

I meant to quote Nulli's stupid post. Oh well.

#33 | Posted by JOE at 2018-08-12 06:52 PM | Reply

"At 1 time I was all aboard common sense gun control"

"Common sense."
What's that even mean, given the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed?

#34 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-08-12 06:54 PM | Reply

Snoofy I think a while back you said you want a gun ban. So there is no middle ground with you. So there is no debate. I want my guns and you want them taken away. If you were reasonable we could discuss mag limits and things like AR15's but too many on your side want an outright ban.

#35 | Posted by byrdman at 2018-08-12 07:12 PM | Reply

I want my guns

Do you realize how childish you sound?

#36 | Posted by JOE at 2018-08-12 07:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"Snoofy I think a while back you said you want a gun ban. So there is no middle ground with you. So there is no debate."

I also want things I can get that aren't a gun ban, things like "Common sense" gun controls.

What do you think "common sense" gun control means? Do any countries have it?? How about Switzerland, or Canada?

#37 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-08-12 08:07 PM | Reply

"If you were reasonable we could discuss mag limits and things like AR15's "

We tried that, it was called the Assault Weapons Ban, but it didn't apply to AR-15s.

Could you be in favor of similar legislation banning AR-15s???
??????????????

#38 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-08-12 08:10 PM | Reply

"mag limits "

I'm fine with magazine limits.
But the National Russian Rifle Association is not.
The Grand Old Putin Party is not.

#39 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-08-12 08:45 PM | Reply

"I want my guns"

Really? Because I want children to not die in weekly mass shootings. But then, I guess we have different priorities.

#40 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-08-12 09:14 PM | Reply

Dirk we can agree to disagree on what is best for America.

#41 | Posted by byrdman at 2018-08-12 11:03 PM | Reply

Dirk we can agree to disagree on what is best for America.

#41 | POSTED BY BYRDMAN AT 2018-08-12 11:03 PM | FLAG:

You think dead kids are what is best for America?

#42 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-08-12 11:07 PM | Reply