Tuesday, August 07, 2018

It hardly needs to be said that no competent lawyer would have advised the president to indulge in [the recent Trump Tower] Twitter outburst. Here are various ways in which Trump did fresh damage to his legal defense. Trump is in the middle of fighting over the special counsel's request for an interview. His legal team argues that the White House has already supplied all the information Mueller would need from him; he has nothing to add. They have attempted to fortify this case with the claim that the special counsel lacks the constitutional authority to compel this testimony from the president. Now, however, Trump has put forward an unequivocal statement of the purpose of the Trump Tower meeting, acknowledging his son, Donald Trump, Jr. convened the meeting for the purpose of obtaining "dirt" on Hillary Clinton.

Comments

There is a Cancer on the Presidency.

#1 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-08-07 03:32 PM | Reply

The cancer IS the President.

FTFY

#2 | Posted by tonyroma at 2018-08-07 08:23 PM | Reply

Trump damaged his own legal defense?

LOL ~ There must be only one person in the whole wide world who didn't know that.

That would be Mr. Open Mouth Insert Foot himself.

#3 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-08-08 06:16 AM | Reply

Mid-August heat and humidity brings back memories of another President boarding Marine 1 and waving goodbye.

#4 | Posted by ajwood at 2018-08-08 11:13 AM | Reply

See also the Trump's Razor post. Dumb as a bag of hammers and dirty as a litterbox. We can only hope his inability to stop talking about himself will be his undoing.

#5 | Posted by cbob at 2018-08-08 12:52 PM | Reply

Trump damaged his own legal defense?
That would be Mr. Open Mouth Insert Foot himself.
#3 | POSTED BY TWINPAC AT 2018-08-08 06:16 AM | FLAG:

You forgot Mueller.

#6 | Posted by fishpaw at 2018-08-08 01:26 PM | Reply

Wow, an anti Trump opinion from an attorney who worked for Obama and is teaching at NYU. Shocker.

#7 | Posted by fishpaw at 2018-08-08 01:28 PM | Reply

Poor poor Fishypaws, stressing out that Mueller is "about to roll" his Orange Fuhrer. Good times!

#8 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2018-08-08 01:39 PM | Reply

You forgot Mueller.

#6 | POSTED BY FISHPAW

Do tell us what Mueller has said about it. I'd love to hear. Does he have Twitter? Do press conferences often?

Come on, Fishy. Tell us where you are getting this great information. Otherwise, it looks like you are just a lying, whiny, cry baby snowflake...

#9 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-08-08 01:55 PM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY FISHPAW

Wow. Can't argue against the message, so you attack the messenger.

Not surprising.

#10 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-08-08 02:08 PM | Reply

There are a bunch of things that are coming back to roost for Drumpf on this:

Tweets are considered official statements.
Based on the tweet, Donnie Jr. lied to Congress under oath.
Based on the tweet, Donnie Jr. et al did not go to the FBI when they were offered "something of value" from a foreign national. This is illegal.
Rob Goldstone has set up the legal definition of conspiracy nicely:

"Q. -- you talked about with my colleague, I know we have asked you a lot of questions. I just want to have you explain. When you say there -- you wrote the statement "based on the bare facts I was given," exactly what were the bare facts that you were given?

(Goldstone) A. So, to the best of my recollection, when I spoke to Emin, he said to me: I would like you to set up a meeting. A Russian attorney met with my -- a well-connected Russian attorney met with my dad in his office, and she appears to have or seems to have damaging information on the Democrats and its candidate, Hillary Clinton. And I think it could be useful to the Trumps.'

It's in emails and corroborated by more than one person involved.

Rut roh.

#11 | Posted by chuffy at 2018-08-08 02:38 PM | Reply

There are a bunch of things that are coming back to roost for Drumpf on this:
Tweets are considered official statements.
Based on the tweet, Donnie Jr. lied to Congress under oath.
Rob Goldstone has set up the legal definition of conspiracy nicely:
It's in emails and corroborated by more than one person involved.
Rut roh.

#11 | POSTED BY CHUFFY

#12 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2018-08-08 03:27 PM | Reply

"I'll have another nothingburger well done with extra cheese and secret sauce please"

Clearly, the "secret sauce" is Russian dressing.

#13 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-08-08 03:36 PM | Reply | Funny: 1