Monday, August 06, 2018

I am staring at a photograph of myself that shows me 20 years older than I am now. I have not stepped into the twilight zone. Rather, I am trying to rid myself of some measure of my present bias, which is the tendency people have, when considering a trade-off between two future moments, to more heavily weight the one closer to the present. A great many academic studies have shown this bias -- also known as hyperbolic discounting -- to be robust and persistent.

Comments

It's an old article, but I still find it amazing what you can learn just from strangling one psychiatrist after another, and then the rifling through their stuff...

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-08-06 08:37 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

What other job lets you sit and listen to someone bitch for 55 minutes and get paid $225/hour?

And there ain't no guaranty you're gettin' some good pills, either.

#2 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-08-06 08:43 AM | Reply

And there ain't no guaranty you're gettin' some good pills, either.

POSTED BY MADSCIENTIST AT 2018-08-06 08:43 AM | REPLY

That's for damned sure.

#3 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-08-06 08:44 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

In my experience, it was easier to find a bag of weed than it is trying to get legal pain meds for a dying family member in palliative care.

No wonder we've got such problems in our health care system.

#4 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-08-06 08:51 AM | Reply

My problem is I'm bi polar and the only give you meds that make you gain weight. I DON'T NEED TO GAIN WEIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It does nothing for my mind.

#5 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-08-06 08:54 AM | Reply

Laura, I had a girlfriend in college who was bipolar. She took Carbemazepine instead of Lithium Carbonate. The reason being, the Lithium tablets were so large, she'd gag on them when she'd try to take them. Her reason being, her father used to sneak into her room when she was in high school and make her suck his dick. So, any large item that required swallowing was untenable.

I tried to get AFKABL2 to try Lithium, in the guise of my --------- psychiatrist degree. I really felt he'd be a good candidate for it and to seek counselling about it. Of course I got ---- upon for the suggestion, but oh well.

I'm proud of you that you took control of your life to the degree you have.

#6 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-08-06 09:05 AM | Reply

Wait, people are "estranged" from their future self? I get my best advice from my future self....

#7 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-08-06 09:10 AM | Reply

The IKEA effect makes sense. All living things are happiest when they are fulfilling their instincts. So for a guy, that's making something. I suppose that works to a lesser extent for the ladies, but what you don't hear is that loud belch and the "Yeah!" that we do. So I know there is a difference....

#8 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-08-06 09:18 AM | Reply

I get my best advice from my future self....

#7 | Posted by HeliumRat

I get my best advice from my present self. I leave my future self notes and letters and little presents and best of all, money!

My future self doesn't do anything for my past self. Hell. My future self might not even exist.

But, my present self sure thanks my past self for getting me this far.

#9 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-08-06 04:19 PM | Reply

I've gotten the help I've asked for of my future self the few times I've asked for it. Only recently & intently been looking into the concept, but so far it seems to have merit.

If you believe in the possibility of other dimensions of reality, or theories such as multi-verse, parallel universes, and those linked to Quantum Physics and Mechanics then you believe in a future version of yourself.

#10 | Posted by 9mmHeater at 2018-08-06 06:24 PM | Reply

then you believe in a future version of yourself.

#10 | Posted by 9mmHeater

You mean an infinite number of possible future versions of yourself.

#11 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-08-06 06:30 PM | Reply

That 's a correct correction. It does go deep down the ole rabbit hole.

#12 | Posted by 9mmHeater at 2018-08-06 07:10 PM | Reply

Really a fun read that says a lot about what goes on on this site.

Wikipedia's "List of cognitive biases" contains 185 entries, from actor-observer bias to the Zeigarnik effect. Some of the 185 are dubious or trivial. Others seem redundant. But a solid group of 100 or so biases has been repeatedly shown to exist, and can make a hash of our lives.

So with all these biases it's no wonder that politicians and merchants lie to us. It enhances their wealth. On the other hand, scientists launch into an endless stream of caveats and assumptions which take account of biases making their conclusions valid, and in which the public has no interest.

The most pervasive and damaging, it would probably be confirmation bias. That's the effect that leads us to look for evidence confirming what we already think or suspect, to view facts and ideas we encounter as further confirmation, and to discount or ignore any piece of evidence that seems to support an alternate view. Confirmation bias shows up most blatantly in our current political divide.

Laziness or inertia can be more powerful than bias. Books on topic:

2011 best seller, Thinking, Fast and Slow by between Tversky and Kahneman.
The Undoing Project, by Michael Lewis, tells the story of their contenious collaboration
Nisbett writes in his 2015 book, Mindware: Tools for Smart Thinking, "

#13 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-08-06 08:32 PM | Reply

My problem is I'm bi polar... #5 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-08-06 08:54 AM
The joke is that ALL women are bi; either sexual or polar. The trick is figuring out which one.

#14 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-08-07 11:15 AM | Reply