Monday, August 06, 2018

Ever since our forty-fifth president was elected, tourism to the United States from foreign countries has steadily dropped -- in the face of a world-wide boom in travel -- and the authoritative U.S. Travel Association has just provided me with figures projecting a further drop in 2018, from a share of worldwide tourism of 12.0 percent in 2017 to 11.7 percent this year. And this is after a drop in Trump's first year in office from 12.9 percent. Though the numbers and differentials look small in percentages, they are large in terms of dollars not spent here by foreign tourists and they have serious negative implications for jobs not created.

Comments

I said this a year ago.... NOBODY from Pakistan is going to the US any longer to visit or to study, even though they are not subject to any kind of Muslim Ban.

And if it's true for Pakistan, it's true for everyone else out there too. NOBODY wants to go to a place that likes to elect a senile, crazy man... a DOTARD.... by a huge majority.

Enjoy your gradual isolation. LOL

#1 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-08-06 08:33 AM | Reply

by a huge majority.
Enjoy your gradual isolation. LOL

#1 | POSTED BY J_TREMAIN

It wasn't a huge majority.

And if you were a Texan it wouldn't be "your gradual isolation".

#2 | Posted by jpw at 2018-08-06 08:40 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

And if you were a Texan it wouldn't be "your gradual isolation".

I have more than one passport/nationality, my dear PoS. And I can set fire to this one at any time.

So ENJOY YOUR isolation.

#3 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-08-06 08:47 AM | Reply

I don't know anyone who goes to Pakistan unless it's to help with sanitation.

#4 | Posted by Zed at 2018-08-06 09:42 AM | Reply

I don't know anyone who goes to the US unless it's to get executed by NRA inspired madmen.

#5 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-08-06 09:52 AM | Reply

Elected a president .. with a huge majority.... who turned out to be an agent of a hostile foreign power. LOL

He... and that foreign power... aren't done with you yet.

Be patient.

#6 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-08-06 09:55 AM | Reply

Haha, Liberal authors still can't understand math. Not understand basic ratios and math is what is leading this country down the rabbit hole. Anger over false logic is killing us. Of course the numbers are going down. Anyone who has actually done research and not just read their daily Liberal talking point media outlets understand there are reasons for it and it was strategized years before it occurred, tariffs being the only unknown variable at the time. Do your research or stop with this stupid, illogical outrage over what is in an article written by someone with such obvious partisan leanings.

#7 | Posted by humtake at 2018-08-06 12:04 PM | Reply

Elected a president .. with a huge majority

Weird!... this posting is from the alternate reality.

listen up you POS
...before posting your smug dual citizenship brand of stupid look up your facts first

#8 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2018-08-06 12:08 PM | Reply

#8 Do you honestly think tremain was serious about trump's "majority win"?

#7 A conservative questions the mathematics of others is about as overt as hypocrisy can be. Come back when you morons actually learn the difference between a debt and a deficit and then maybe we can start talking actual numbers with you "let's make pi = 3" troglodytes.

#9 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-08-06 12:29 PM | Reply

"it was strategized years before it occurred, tariffs being the only unknown variable at the time."

Wow. Just wow.

Now, if you had suggested the (previously) strong dollar, or the exchange rate, you might have some credibility. Suggesting it's new tariffs affecting prior statistics just exposes your cluelessness.

"Liberal authors still can't understand math."

Was the recent tax bill a good deal for you?

#10 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-08-06 12:30 PM | Reply

your smug dual citizenship

Dual....???... Try triple.

That's right... I belong to three nations.

Being part of the Commonwealth has it's technical advantages.

As for Crooked Hill having more votes than DOTARD... that is just a lie Americans have adopted to make themselves look less stupid.

#11 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-08-06 01:00 PM | Reply

Anyway, I was just patting myself on the back over how my observations were accurate a year before they made it to the media.

I am rather brilliant, I am happy to report.

#12 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-08-06 01:04 PM | Reply

Come visit America; stay 'cause you got shot!

#13 | Posted by hamburglar at 2018-08-06 04:44 PM | Reply

So Trump wanted fewer tourists?
Is that the GOP policy too?

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-08-06 04:56 PM | Reply

I can live with fewer foreign tourists. We have enough visitors as it is.

#15 | Posted by eberly at 2018-08-06 05:01 PM | Reply

I can live with fewer foreign tourists. We have enough visitors as it is.

#15 | POSTED BY EBERLY AT 2018-08-06 05:01 PM | FLAG:

Ebb Early, the "not-racist."

#16 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-08-06 05:03 PM | Reply

After visits to Disney World, Universal Studios.....I could do with smaller crowds.

the foreigners are fine...just to many people there.

#17 | Posted by eberly at 2018-08-06 05:04 PM | Reply

"Wow...took you 2 minutes to pick up my scent and come running like a good little pig."

I am sure pigs often follow your scent. Hygiene is fundamental.

And let's all point and laugh as Ebb desperately tries to walk back his "we don need no more furners" racism:

"the foreigners are fine...just to many people there."

#18 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-08-06 05:11 PM | Reply

Boyd, I know you're perpetually butthurt by me.

But you deserve it. Period.

Personally, it's the good ole'----------- Americans I could stand less of when I'm on vacation or airports or wherever.

The foreigners are usually easier to put up with, IMO.

#19 | Posted by eberly at 2018-08-06 05:16 PM | Reply

Backpedal faster, Ebb. You are totally fooling all of us.

#20 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-08-06 05:18 PM | Reply

I'm not letting you lick my taint, Boyd.

So stop asking.

#21 | Posted by eberly at 2018-08-06 05:19 PM | Reply

--I can live with fewer foreign tourists. We have enough visitors as it is.

Damn straight. We don't need white eurowienies taking up limited campground sites at Yosemite Valley or other national parks; or taking limited hotel accomodations. Go to Canada or Cuba.

#22 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-08-06 05:27 PM | Reply

"I can live with fewer foreign tourists. We have enough visitors as it is.
#15 | POSTED BY EBERLY"

We can all "live with it."
No one is going to die.
Well, except a few tourism industry businesses. ("Corporations are people, my friend.")

Your answer, while delightfully smart-alecky, didn't really address the question... or explain why you want tourism business to go down. Presumably because you don't really want tourism business to go down, but who can really say?

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-08-06 05:33 PM | Reply

Nullifidian, I can believe, wants the tourism business to go out of business. There wouldn't really be one anyway if we had that sealed border he craves. Perhaps the terrorist, oops I mean anchor baby, oops I mean tourist visa would be eliminated altogether in Nulli's utopian America. But there's no way Eberly actually supports that.

#24 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-08-06 05:36 PM | Reply

Well now we know a bit more about your fantasy life... hard to imagine there is room amidst all the violence against women you seem to drool over.

#25 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-08-06 05:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Cool. Maybe we can make it dome over the entire country like we are a massive dessert.

#26 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-08-07 05:04 AM | Reply

Millions of Americans directly or indirectly rely on tourism to financially survive. Claiming that it is okay if the industry suffers or goes belly up demonstrates a complete lack of comprehension as to economic reality.

#27 | Posted by moder8 at 2018-08-07 03:03 PM | Reply

It's all about jobs... Unless they are jobs that Trump killed... then who needs them?

Hypocrites.