Monday, July 16, 2018

Following Sunday night's premiere of Sacha Baron Cohen's Who Is America? series, Showtime responded on Monday to what the network described as "widespread misinformation" about one of the four characters the comedian portrays on the new show. "Baron Cohen did not present himself as a disabled veteran, and viewers nationwide who watched the premiere on Sunday can now attest to that," Showtime said in a statement.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Baron Cohen never presented himself as a veteran of the U.S. military to former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin during the booking process or during the filming of her interview, and contrary to her claims he did not appear in a wheelchair. In both the interview with Governor Palin and the interview with Senator Sanders, he did not wear military apparel of any kind."

Comments

What this will show is that Republicans don't actually care about the your service to the country.

#1 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-07-16 08:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

He was impersonating a homeless person using stolen valor.

BIIIIIIIIIIIIG difference.

#2 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-07-16 09:08 PM | Reply

Did you see it? Is that what you thought?

#3 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-07-16 09:11 PM | Reply

Sasha's makeup artist is very gifted. Fooling the camera is one thing, but fooling people sitting next to Sasha is amazing.

#4 | Posted by bored at 2018-07-16 09:13 PM | Reply

I haven't seen it, but I find it hard to believe a comedian who's whole schtick is cultural satire, isn't doing that here too.

It sounds like he's playing on Palin not actually giving a hoot about his service. Bernie asked him if he was disabled. It makes me think Bernie actually cares.

#5 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-07-16 09:26 PM | Reply

Sarah Palin never pretended to be dumb either.

#6 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-07-16 09:34 PM | Reply

Stolen valor is a problem, but mostly what I see is bums with signs saying they were homeless vets begging by intersections. After a few questions they get nervous and split, there are things you learn in the service that civilians don't know much about. Usually when I follow them to their vehicle, they have a nicer one than mine. As I learned in Washington State, begging can be very profitable. It was proven that some make more than 300 bucks a day.I give their tag numbers to cops. I see some AHs pretending to vets to get a flipping 5% off. Then I see the pretend soldiers who dress up in military gear or uniforms, they are generally delusional or mentally ill. Honestly, I have wore a uniform one time sense my retirement, my daughter asked me to for her wedding. The only gear I wear is boots, mostly because I have about ten pair and I am used to them. When it becomes criminal is those who claim to be vets for charities, the contributions of which which usually end up in their pockets and some guys think it can grease their path into some chicks pants. Fraud is fraud. The worst is the story tellers. One individual claimed to have been a vet that committed atrocities in Iraq, turned out he never got closer to Iraq than Ft. Knox and his military carrier lasted about 30 days, but the lefties loved him till he was proven to be a fraud.

#7 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-07-17 03:52 AM | Reply

#7 That's kind of creepy. When I patrol my neighborhood in my mask, cowl and cape, the homeless people I see are always "down on your luck" type people, and always passing through. I give them what aid I can, and I ask them for their stories. Maybe I just live in an enchanted land, but my experience is very different.

Also, where I live you can find anything. Gambling, drugs, fully automatic weapons, whores... in maybe 30 minutes.

#8 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-07-17 04:29 AM | Reply

but the lefties loved him

You started to make a good point and then went off on the blind partisan happy train and negated everything you said previous.

#9 | Posted by Nixon at 2018-07-17 07:03 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Sarah Plain lied? Why I never heard of anything so preposterous.

#10 | Posted by Nixon at 2018-07-17 07:31 AM | Reply

#9 | Posted by Nixon, Actually he had some organization ,Iraq Vets for peace, something like that- he was the spokesman for. He was full of apologies after he found out he was facing years in federal prison for Stolen Valor. Check Youtube, under stolen valor arrests. There are other AHs that run for or hold public office, run businesses, like a real ex con and fake vet that ran some "Tactical training academy" for righty Walter Mitty types. Does that help? I am an equal opportunity jerk. Frauds offend me. I take pictures, I report and I challenge publicly.
#8 | Posted by HeliumRat, The prime reason I go and talk to people claiming to be homeless vets to to get them into services that are available in this area. I could care less if someone begs, just don't claim your a veteran when you are not. Unfortunately most the time they are not.

#11 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-07-17 09:23 AM | Reply

Sarah thought she could steal some valor by associating herself with a vet, but got punked instead. Nothing to see here.

#12 | Posted by bored at 2018-07-17 10:59 AM | Reply

Not responding to the topic but jesus christ, did the author actually just say that because people watched the show, they now know the truth? In other words, he believes that people are so stupid that they have no idea that other things go on while the camera isn't rolling. As if everything Sasha says and does for his show is recorded. He just offended every single person who watched the show in one simple statement. It may be very true that Sasha didn't pretend (although, if you look at his history you will see it is VERY likely he did a lot of pretending prior to the cameras rolling) but don't insult everyone's intelligence by saying that we know exactly what happened because we saw what was aired.

#13 | Posted by humtake at 2018-07-17 12:41 PM | Reply

#7 | Posted by docnjo

Who calls any of that VALOR anyways? The last vet who was actually defending america was in WW2. Modern soldiers are gullible henchmen for bankers and natural resource extractors.

#14 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-07-17 02:57 PM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY DOCNJO

Yes, I'm sure you do this all the time. You have quite the imagination.

It was never proven that some make $300 a day. That 2008 story came from a few police officers asking a few beggars outside a Walmart how much they might make on a good hour and guessing from there how much they could make in a day. Not a study and not scientific.

#15 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-07-17 03:06 PM | Reply

Sycophant,

He didn't conjure that up out of thin air.

I've read stories of people treating begging like a full-time job and making pretty good tax-free money:

Sydney homeless man makes $50,000 a year begging

www.dailytelegraph.com.au

#16 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-07-17 03:08 PM | Reply

"It was proven that some make more than 300 bucks a day."

I wouldn't 300 bucks on a good day "very profitable."

"Sydney homeless man makes $50,000 a year begging"

vs

Wage Facts. Full-time earnings in Australia averaged A$78,832 a year in the second quarter of 2016.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-17 03:12 PM | Reply

Anecdotal evidence? Do better.

#18 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-07-17 03:13 PM | Reply

#15 | Posted by Sycophant, Actually I am a member in good standing with the VFW, past commander, and I look for homeless vets in places you would never have the courage to enter.

#19 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-07-17 03:26 PM | Reply

#15 | Posted by Sycophant, Mostly that comes from the Sea-Tac area in Washington State, an area known for virtue signaling morons.

#20 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-07-17 03:29 PM | Reply

"an area known for virtue signaling morons"

^
Does this mean "an area known for people who give money to bums?"

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-17 03:31 PM | Reply

an area known for virtue signaling morons.

#20 | Posted by docnjo

What is more virtue signaling than praising vets for their service and acting upset about the national anthem protests?

#22 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2018-07-17 03:32 PM | Reply

Not a study and not scientific.
#15 | POSTED BY SYCOPHANT

No study needed to know that it happens.

There was a gypsy family begging in San Diego a few years back that was exposed by the local news. Turns out the family (of 7) would hang out on street corners begging for money to feed their infant children. Someone followed them as they walked from the corner to their 2014 Mercedes S Class. The person then reported the family to the police and the media.

IIRC, the police did nothing but the bad press was enough to push the family out of the region. I remembered seeing them around for months, so they were doing pretty damn good. If you've got your sob story right (and the immediate perception there of), you can definitely make a decent living begging for change.

#23 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-07-17 03:36 PM | Reply

Anyone offended by anything done by SBC is stupid. How can anyone with a brain take anything he says or does seriously? Pure and simple, he is an entertainer. Nothing more.

#24 | Posted by moder8 at 2018-07-17 03:36 PM | Reply

He's trying to become the next Andy Kaufman.

#25 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-07-17 03:38 PM | Reply

#25 | Posted by JeffJ, Did Andy come out of hiding yet?

#26 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-07-17 03:41 PM | Reply

#19 | POSTED BY DOCNJO

Actually, I used to work with quite a few homeless including vets doing pro bono work. I've entered the dirty dangerous places you pretend to have seen. I've been in the tent cities. I've come across the drugged out homeless with the needle still hanging out of their arms. And I've talked with vets so paralyzed with paranoia that the mere site of a cop sent them scurrying in the belief the Feds were spying on them. And I even watched one die while waiting on the ambulance.

They weren't making $300 a day begging. They weren't driving nice cars. If you had actually gone to any of these places you claim, you'd know this first hand.

#27 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-07-17 03:59 PM | Reply

#23 | POSTED BY RSTYBEACH11

I'm sure you'll find one every once in a while. But the majority are not freshly showered, mentally astute or social enough to bring in more than a few dollars to cover a meal.

And when we pretend, like DOCNJO does, that the insanely rare exception represents the rule, these people who actually need money suddenly stop getting it.

#28 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-07-17 04:01 PM | Reply

#27 | POSTED BY SYCOPHANT

The ones who actively beg probably do OK. I've passed out food to the homeless in Detroit on a number of occasions. None of these people were begging and we didn't give them any money, only food, wares (socks, gloves, etc) and good cheer.

#29 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-07-17 04:10 PM | Reply

Glad to see my -------- meter wasn't the only one going off about Docnjo's fairytale.

#30 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2018-07-17 11:19 PM | Reply

#31 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2018-07-17 11:19 PM | Reply

There.definitely are professional beggars who make a lot of tax free money by scamming. These ones are using standing by busy intersections or hustling people in parking lots and parks. I've also seen people who are crazy or drugged out while they wander around unkempt, and others who are part of an organized crime racket that exploits disabled people and children, essentially keeping them as slaves to make money off of people who feel sorry for them.

Speaking of stolen valor, the only personal experience where I think I witnessed it was when I went to my local post office to complain about something, and the postmaster came out in full military fatigues and proceeded to act like a passive aggressive douche. I don't care if you were in the military, there's no excuse to dress or act like that when working at a post office.

#32 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-07-18 06:21 AM | Reply

#27 | Posted by Sycophant, The difference being, you were being paid on the government dime.

#33 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-07-18 06:07 PM | Reply

#32 | Posted by sentinel What was a postal employee doing in a set of fatigues? Hell, soldiers can't wear them except to make a stop to and from duty. You are not supposed to wear them in public. Postal employees have a uniform. They are required to wear that uniform while they are at work. Report that individual to the area postal inspector. The only exception is contract carriers, who generally wear civilian clothing. Their vehicle has to be tagged as a mail delivery.

#34 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-07-18 06:17 PM | Reply