Sunday, July 15, 2018

In an interview with farmers in Michigan who are seeing the agricultural tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump possibly destroy their livelihood, the Detroit News reports they can't even get their congressional representatives to stand up for them. According to David Williams, a fifth-generation soybean farmer in Elise, Michigan, the 25 percent tariff imposed by China in retaliation for the president's tariffs is killing the agricultural sector. "Nobody wins in a trade war," said Williams, the 67-year-old president of the Michigan Soybean Association. "We're not going to win. China's not going to win. In the meantime, soybean farmers are just hurting."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

According to the report, "With farm net incomes down nearly 60 percent since 2013, many farmers who supported the president in 2016 are feeling further strain as they face the repercussions of an intensifying trade war. The price of soybeans has plunged 17 percent in the past month. Williams has seen $2 less per bushel of soybeans, about a 20 percent decrease."

Williams pointed the finger directly at President Donald Trump, who he believes was put in the White House by rural mid-westerners like himself.

"I feel like agriculture has supported the current administration," Williams explained. "I don't feel that support coming back to us."

Comments

He was a known conman. You supported him anyway.

So eat ---- sucker. You put the gun to your own head and pulled the trigger.

#1 | Posted by jpw at 2018-07-13 11:54 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 3

""Nobody wins in a trade war," said Williams"

Yet you voted for the guy who said he was going to engage in trade wars.

#2 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-07-13 11:58 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 3

Farmers aren't brain surgeons.

I mean you got to be pretty dumb to spend your life digging dirt. People still joke about Jimmy Carter.

#3 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-07-14 02:08 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#3 | POSTED BY J_TREMAIN

You gotta be pretty dumb to not understand the value of the farmer. The farmer is intimately in touch with the earth. The farmer creates food from the earth. Your mother. Working with dirt is actually very primal. The farmer feeds the world.

Did you know? You are dirt. You come from dirt and you will return to the dirt.

People joke about Jimmy Carter are usually ignorant Jackholes and really have not taken the time to really try and understand what who Jimmy Carter really is.

#4 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-07-14 03:29 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#4 Dude, I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. Texans can be like that. Jesus, try to grow a sense of humor, or die early from hypertension or something.

#5 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-07-14 03:46 AM | Reply

"they can't even get their congressional representatives to stand up for them."

Don't be poor, and you won't have this problem.

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-14 03:50 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#5 | Posted by HeliumRat

You're definitely a hack.

Only a hack would believe his claim of being a "Texan".

It's also not surprising that you're a Trump supporter. They tend to be gullible and, no offense, rather stupid.

#7 | Posted by jpw at 2018-07-14 04:14 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 8

"Nobody wins in a trade war,"

Someone wins.

And that winner is: Russia

China buys record amount of Russian soybeans after canceling US orders

#8 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-07-14 05:12 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#7 | Posted by jpw

I have seen John Henry Ford Tremain endure countless hateful posts by bigots such as yourself, and he has done it with the stoicism all native Texans typically display.

You should be ashamed of even thinking about making the insinuations you have, sir.

#9 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2018-07-14 05:16 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Detroit News reports they can't even get their congressional representatives to stand up for them"

That's the way it is down here. The tariffs will hurt local ranchers, and the Representative who adversises himself as "fighting" for Texas agriculture doesn't have a damned thing to say. He hasn't even opened his mouth.

#10 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-14 07:15 AM | Reply

It's always amusing when foreigners lecture me on what Texans are like.

#11 | Posted by Zed at 2018-07-14 07:16 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Hey farmers, tired of "winning" yet?

More to come.

#12 | Posted by fresno500 at 2018-07-14 11:14 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

When will Boaz advise them to get off the GOP plantation?

#13 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-07-15 11:58 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

Those farmers should try attaching their complaints to a 7 figure bribe, excuse me, campaign contribution. Then they would at least get an audience. It might take more to get the tariffs to go away.

#14 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2018-07-15 12:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Yet most of these, "clod hoppers" will still vote (R) Russian, in the next election, because Jebus told them to lock up brown kids, pretend their son isn't porking the farmer next doors son and have their daughters go back to having coat hanger abortions in a back alley, where they belong. Hey, but because of the NRA, your solution is not far away. (wink)

#15 | Posted by zelkova at 2018-07-15 09:41 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

What hokey crapola are you blubbering?

try and understand what who Jimmy Carter really is.

Wabbit attack victim/survivor?

Alien abductee?

Only a hack would believe his claim of being a "Texan".

Even Allah believes I am a Texan. Who are YOU to go against Gawd, blasphemer?

I have seen John Henry Ford Tremain endure countless hateful posts by bigots

I am made of Texan-Kryptonian-Pakistani-Chinese-Terminator alloy. Nobody in GREATER-TEXAS can even scratch my skin.

#16 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-07-16 04:26 AM | Reply

To DONNERBOY..

I get my nourishment from the fridge or from the supermarket or from my white GF's momma's oven.

I don't get my food from the bottom of some ditch like you do.

#17 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-07-16 04:28 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

What do you expect when you vote for someone whose only allegiance is to himself?

It's not like you were not warned that voting for Donny Dealmaker was a bad move, but her emails.

#18 | Posted by 726 at 2018-07-16 09:20 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#16 | Posted by J_Tremain

So where in Texas do you live? I'll be taking a trip in September. Hitting 3 of the big metro areas and points in between. Could meet up and put this to rest.

#19 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-07-16 09:36 AM | Reply

As for Michigan farmers - I am so sick and tired of their whining they were part of the problem in 2016. Farmers in general for that matter. Yes probably 90% of them vote R and I know quite a few of them.

"Our Rep won't listen to us" - November is around the corner and it sounds like you need a change in Rep. Time to turn your neighbors and vote D. But then again your neighbors probably want the land for nothing anyhow and don't care if you go under. They probably would prefer it since they are tired of the dust bowl you are creating for them every year. So they probably don't care about you and will vote how they would anyhow. Keep voting R.

#20 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-07-16 09:41 AM | Reply

#19 - He posts like a person from Paris, Texas. scratch

#21 | Posted by getoffmedz at 2018-07-16 10:41 AM | Reply

hi-data-upload-utility-1.6bin folder to your local machine's PATH environment variable

I guess the DR doesn't have any know-it-alls from Michigan who can comment, Ad nauseam.

They must be too busy "educating" everyone on the problems of others, 6 thousand miles away

You know, cause AMERICA

#22 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2018-07-16 10:57 AM | Reply

Sure Bubba... Welcome! I am running an Orphanage after all and anyone can pick up their butt and park it in my home and mooch from my fridge and use my aftershave.

NOT.

#23 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-07-16 11:30 AM | Reply

He posts like a person from Paris, Texas

The frak is that supposed to mean???

#24 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-07-16 11:31 AM | Reply

#23 | Posted by J_Tremain

What does meeting up have to do with your crazy rant? I don't want to come to your house but you could meet me at a public place and once and for all we would know you are a Texan... But then again when you are comfortably posting from Islamabad, TX or somewhere else like that I can see why you wouldn't get off your chair.

#25 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-07-16 12:30 PM | Reply

bigots

#9 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

#26 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-07-16 12:50 PM | Reply

I feel so bad for these farmers. If only someone had told them repeatedly for about 12 months that Trump would do something like this and it would threaten their farms and homes...

Oh wait, everyone but Fox News did. Nevermind.

#27 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-07-16 01:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Oh wait, everyone but Fox News did. Nevermind.

POSTED BY SYCOPHANT AT 2018-07-16 01:09 PM | REPLY

Most farmers are conservative so they will pull the lever for the R every time. BTW Hillary didn't care about the American farmer so that diatribe is out too.

#28 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-07-16 01:11 PM | Reply

I don't want to come to your house but you could meet me at a public place

Oh.

Okay then...

How do I know you are not a rapist???

I mean don't get me wrong... I don't mind being raped... not at all. As long as I'm being raped by a girl.

You ain't no girl so I got to be careful.

#29 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-07-16 01:19 PM | Reply

and for all we would know you are a Texan

To my friends I am known as "Fountain of Truth".

A man such as I, feels no need to prove himself.

My words and deeds speaketh for me.

If you have doubts about me, then you have doubts about life itself. That makes you a man of doubt... not a man of faith... a sad man feeling trapped by this era of doubtfulness.

Try having more faith. You'll feel fantastic.

#30 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-07-16 01:26 PM | Reply

"BTW Hillary didn't care about the American farmer"

Being ignored would be better for the farmets than having massive harmful tariffs erected -- and then being ignored.

The way you trick yourself into thinking otherwise because of Hillary is a stark lesson in cognitive dissonance.

The farmers are pawns. Hillary would have ignored them. Trump sacrificed them to Putin.

#31 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-16 01:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#30 | Posted by J_Tremain

We know ------, we know... ;) I don't remember what earned you the permaban anymore but it's been a while.

#32 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-07-16 02:10 PM | Reply

#28 | Posted by LauraMohr

I don't disagree with the HRC - farming wouldn't have been a priority but then again they would have kept on collecting the subsidies and selling to China.

BUT when you have the "other" guy who says he is going to get in a trade war.
He says they are easy to win.
He says that nobody knows how to fight one.
You learn how he treats business partners.
You know your products will be a target in ANY trade war.
Yet you still vote for the clown?

Time to prep for bankruptcy.

#33 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-07-16 02:15 PM | Reply

I dont feel sorry for Trumplthinskin voters.... they are typical rep8blicl*wnz.... boast brag get your way... similar to the Iraq war.... then whine wee wee wee when you have to pay for it.

#34 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2018-07-16 05:47 PM | Reply

BTW Hillary didn't care about the American farmer so that diatribe is out too.

#28 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR AT 2018-07-16 01:11 PM | FLAG:

Liar. modernfarmer.com

Laura Mohr. Take your personal vendetta against HRC and move to the GOP officially.

#35 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-07-16 07:08 PM | Reply

I don't know why anyone take Laura at face value. She's been dishonest for many years now. People pointed this out when it her transition from honest to dishonest started, and nothing much came out to explain what happened.

#36 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-07-16 07:09 PM | Reply

It's best to google any claims she makes. They're pretty much 100% false. Maybe the milk thing is true? 99.99 percent false.

#37 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-07-16 07:10 PM | Reply

What pleas? They got exactly what they voted for. Why would they need to plead for anything? MAGA!

#38 | Posted by chuffy at 2018-07-16 09:21 PM | Reply

#28 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR

See, you say that...but you can't point to a policy she had that hurt them like the Tariffs. And we can point to a number of positions she took that would have helped them.
ballotpedia.org

#39 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-07-17 02:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

"I think this is one of those times you are trying to justify how you helped Trump get elected by voting third party. You just bash Hillary with unfounded accusations rather than any specific facts." - #39 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-07-17 02:29 PM

Alas, I have but a single Newsworthy flag for this excellent post.

#40 | Posted by Hans at 2018-07-17 02:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

POSTED BY SYCOPHANT AT 2018-07-17 02:29 PM | REPLY

Quit being dishonest. I live in farm country. I hear them talk.

#41 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-07-17 03:59 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

They supported The Gropenfuhrer, so they can't honestly expect our sympathies when they're living in their trucks and freezing. I certainly won't care.

#42 | Posted by Reagan58 at 2018-07-17 04:14 PM | Reply

Quit being dishonest. I live in farm country. I hear them talk.

#41 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR AT 2018-07-17 03:59 PM | FLAG:

Too bad none of what you're posting reflects the facts:
modernfarmer.com - Trump's platform does not specifically mention food, agriculture, or rural communities, and to our knowledge he has never directly addressed the subject of local and regional food systems. Unlike Trump, Clinton's platform includes a detailed "plan for a vibrant rural America", which includes "build[ing] a strong local and regional food system by doubling funding for the Farmers Market Promotion Program and the Local Food Promotion Program to expand food hubs, farmers markets ... and to encourage direct sales to local schools, hospitals, retailers and wholesalers." Current USDA secretary Tom Vilsack is Clinton's top agriculture advisor, signaling the likely continuation of his agency's nascent local food initiatives, such as the Know Your Food, Know Your Farmer program.

An interview making it clear Trump has no policies or actions or has ever thought of anything beneficial to the American farmer: www.farmfutures.com

Why farmers actually voted for Trump? www.motherjones.com ""Rural America is mad." She notes that Trump polls strongest in places where "white identity mixes with long-simmering economic dysfunctions," quoting a New York Times analysis. And few places combine embattled white identity and economic stress quite like farm country. According to the US census, just around 150,000 of the nation's 2.1 million farmers are Hispanic, black, Native American, or Asian."

Yeah, but HRC's fault... It's just easier than looking at the facts and trying to do something better for America.

#43 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-07-17 05:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Our warnings to rural folks about Trump have fallen on deaf ears." --City Slickers

#44 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-07-17 05:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1